╌>

Cuomo: Most new NY coronavirus hospitalizations are from people who stayed home

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freewill  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   Noah Higgins-Dunn,Kevin Breuninger (CNBC)

Cuomo: Most new NY coronavirus hospitalizations are from people who stayed home
Early look at data from 100 New York hospitals shows that 66% of new admissions related to the virus are people who were at home, Cuomo said.

What do you make of this?  Not sure how the data was controlled, but scary to think that the shelter at home policies might be having unintended consequences.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Published Wed, May 6 202012:25 PM EDTUpdated Thu, May 7 202011:22 AM EDT

Key Points

• Early look at data from 100 New York hospitals shows that 66% of new admissions related to the virus are people who were at home, Cuomo said.
  • He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic.

Most new Covid-19 hospitalizations in New York state are from people who were staying home and not venturing much outside, a "shocking" finding, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.

The preliminary data was from 100 New York hospitals involving about 1,000 patients, Cuomo said at his daily briefing.

It shows that 66% of new admissions were from people who had largely been sheltering at home. The next highest source of admissions was from nursing homes, 18%.

Who is Getting Hospitlized? Source: New York State

"If you notice, 18% of the people came from nursing homes, less than 1% came from jail or prison, 2% came from the homeless population, 2% from other congregate facilities, but 66% of the people were at home, which is shocking to us," Cuomo said.

"This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home," he added. "We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we've taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home."

Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51.

He said the information shows that those who are hospitalized are predominantly from the downstate area in or around New York City, are not working or traveling and are not essential employees. He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic.

Cuomo said state health officials had thought a high percentage of people who were hospitalized would be essential employees, like health-care workers or city staff, who are still going to work.

"Much of this comes down to what you do to protect yourself. Everything is closed down, government has done everything it could, society has done everything it could. Now it's up to you," Cuomo said.

Governor Cuomo details initial findings from the coronavirus pandemic during a press briefing on May 6th, 2020. Source: New York State

A spokeswoman for Cuomo's office did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for additional comment on the governor's remarks.

Cuomo said the state's hospitalization rate has continued to decline, although at a "painfully slow" rate. He said around 600 infected people were still walking through hospital doors every day, although that number has also declined.

While data shows the coronavirus is on the decline in New York, the new survey results appear to clash with Cuomo's prior assurances that isolation can reliably prevent transmission.

"I was afraid that it was going to infect my family no matter what I did. We're past that," Cuomo said at a press conference on April 13. "If you isolate, if you take the precautions, your family won't get infected."

The daily figures, including the number of people who have died from the coronavirus, will probably be much higher than what has been reported, Cuomo said. He said the state has not been fully documenting the at-home deaths that may be attributable to Covid-19. An additional 232 people died from the coronavirus on Tuesday.

"I think that the reality is going to be worse," Cuomo said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Freewill    4 years ago

What do you make of this?  Not sure how the data was controlled, but scary to think that the shelter at home policies might be having unintended consequences.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The people who didnt go out didnt infect themselves. Someone else brought it to them. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

Someone among their closest family and friends.  Most likely someone had it before the lockdown started and spread it to everyone in close proximity to them.  

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.2  seeder  Freewill  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago
Someone else brought it to them

Or they got exposed to it in one trip to the grocery store. Then unfortunately exposed the rest of the family living in close quarters.  That's why I say, not sure how they control the data, or if they ask additional questions to figure out what is primarily driving the exposure to those claiming to have been holed up at home.  If these people were truly following shelter at home guidelines, then what else can be done?

Certainly the experience in nursing homes in some states explains the high numbers there.  See NYT article HERE .

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.4  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

It would be interesting to know how many of the new cases live in multi-dwelling buildings. Of course an infected person would have to bring the virus to the area but HVAC systems that supply common areas, hallways, lobbies, etc. could be a culprit in these new cases.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.4.1  seeder  Freewill  replied to  Gazoo @2.4    4 years ago

Indeed.  More data is needed to identify the root causes.  Just the claim of having followed the stay at home orders is not enough to explain the data.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago
"...not venturing much outside,..."

Not venturing AT ALL outside works. One family member only doing the shopping for necessities, walking the dog, and following ALL the guidelines isn't going to help even if they wear a mask and disposable latex gloves and wash hands with disinfectant if the infected people near them DON'T.  The guidelines have to be followed UNIVERSALLY, and I doubt that they were.  There could also be a question about how forthcoming they were in their reporting of what they did. 

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.5.1  seeder  Freewill  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.5    4 years ago
There could also be a question about truth in their reporting of what they did

Indeed.

Not venturing AT ALL outside works

Sure - but how practical is that?  People need to eat.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freewill @2.5.1    4 years ago

As I said, ONE family member.  I did not leave my apartment for more than two months - my wife went out only as rarely as possible, and only for food and medicines, and she strictly adhered to the guidelines. 

From everything I've been reading about many Americans and their demand to exhibit their "FREEDOM" (such as the COSTCO example and the protesters), individual freedom and rights are SO much more important than the collective health and lives of the people around them.  As for being forthcoming, many just might not want to admit that they have contravened the guidelines, don't you think?   This pandemic displays the problem in America, perhaps, that arises in making choices, such as taking the muggers' demand "Your money or your life" to a more universal level.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    4 years ago

If people in New York who are not even going out "MUCH" are still contacting the damn Covid-19 virus then the obvious conclusion would be that one need not even go out "MUCH" in New York to be vulnerable to catching the damn Covid-19 virus! It is ten times more virulent than the flu. If you go out "MUCH" in New York then you are probably going to get it. It ain't rocket science!

I have no idea why anyone would ever surmise otherwise. Well, maybe rank politics...