╌>

Coronavirus update: U.S. death toll tops 115,000 amid growing worry about uptick in cases in Florida, Texas, Oklahoma

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  46 comments

By:   Ciara Linnane

Coronavirus update: U.S. death toll tops 115,000 amid growing worry about uptick in cases in Florida, Texas, Oklahoma
While early hot spots, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, are showing clear progress in containing the spread of the illness, other states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah are all seeing increases in infections.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Florida beachgoers head for the exit at 5 p.m. closing.    GETTY IMAGES

The U.S. death toll from the coronavirus illness COVID-19 climbed above 115,000 on Monday, and the stock market tanked amid growing concerns about the uptick in cases in several states after their first efforts to reopen after lockdowns.

While early hot spots, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, are showing clear progress in containing the spread of the illness, other states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah are all seeing increases in infections.

In total, 23 states are showing a rise in cases. Texas, Arkansas and Arizona are pushing ahead despite their red flags,

Texas hit highs in the past week for hospitalizations and new COVID-19 cases, prompting Houston’s top county official, Lina Hidalgo, to warn that “we may be approaching the precipice of a disaster.”

Yet the Lone Star state went ahead with allowing restaurants to expand eat-in dining Friday to 75% of capacity, up from 50%, said the AP.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, are showing clear progress in containing the spread of the illness.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah are all seeing increases in infections.

In total, 23 states are showing a rise in cases.

Texas, Arkansas and Arizona are pushing ahead despite their red flags,

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

We went through this in an earlier thread by FLYNAVY. Maybe you missed it. It has been determined that in some of these states, including Florida, where I am, that the increase in positives is because of the continued increase in testing.

Also, what is more important than positive cases is hospitalizations and deaths, both of which in Florida continue to decline.

The biggest increases, by far, is in 3 democrat run cities in south Florida...Miami-Dade, Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach. Most other cities and counties have shown deep decreases in cases.

Also, the positive rate is at 2.9 percent, far below what even New York is showing today, with their decreases in rates. This has been steady for weeks.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @2.1    4 years ago
the increase in positives is because of the continued increase in testing.

WTF???

Apparently you missed this part of the article:

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, are showing clear progress in containing the spread of the illness, 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  bugsy @2.1    4 years ago

There are, amazingly at this point, people who think the reported numbers accurately reflect the actual number of infections in a given locale/country.   

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.3  bugsy  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    4 years ago

Yea I understand that. Unfortunately, they don't understand the concept of the millions that may have the virus and have zero symptoms. There is no way to count them unless they get tested.

The percentage of US population with the virus remains WELL under 1 percent.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bugsy @2.1.3    4 years ago

The percentage of US population with the virus remains WELL under 1 percent.

And if you believe the scientists, we won't reach herd immunity until 70% have been infected and survive, or we have a viable vaccine.

As an update out of curiosity, here is something on Sweden's efforts...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    4 years ago

Testing keeps finding folks with virus !

Does that mean they are actually New Virus's ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3    4 years ago

Testing keeps finding folks with virus !

Does that mean they are actually New Virus's ?

Of course not:

Texas hit highs in the past week for hospitalizations and new COVID-19 cases, prompting Houston’s top county official, Lina Hidalgo, to warn that “we may be approaching the precipice of a disaster.” 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago

Despite the record number of hospitalizations, Governor Greg Abbott put the surge in cases down to increased testing. Abbott said the state has nearly 15,000 hospital beds available. 

It comes as health experts, including Dr Anthony Fauci, warned the United States was still in the middle of its first coronavirus wave despite fears the country was headed for a second surge. 

Addressing the comments made by various governors that increases in cases were down to more testing, Dr Fair said: 'The analogy that more tests is going to reveal more cases - that's true. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    4 years ago

DEMOCRAT RUN CITIES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BUGS

YOU NEED TO FIND A NEW SHTICK

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @4    4 years ago

DEMOCRAT RUN CITIES HAVE THE HIGHEST NUMBERS OF COVID CASES IN THE COUNTRY.

YOU NEED A NEW HANDLER TO GIVE YOU TALKING POINTS.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5  bugsy    4 years ago

One of the things I have observed over the past few weeks is the increase in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut plates coming through north Florida headed south. South Florida has the highest, by far, of positive cases in the state.

Could there be a correlation of those people coming to Florida for summer vacation or to visit family and friends in south Florida and the increase in cases here?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @5    4 years ago
One of the things I have observed over the past few weeks is the increase in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut plates coming through north Florida headed south.

And yet, one of the things I have noticed is that these "snow birds" head south to Florida as the cold weather begins-- and when the hot weather in Florida begins they go back up North to escape the summer heat and humidity in Florida!.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @5.1    4 years ago
And yet, one of the things I have noticed is that these "snow birds" head south to Florida as the cold weather begins-- and when the hot weather in Florida begins they go back up North to escape the summer heat and humidity in Florida!.

Not this time. Florida has a checkpoint set up at I95 South at the Georgia border looking for people coming from those 3 particular states. If anyone has those state plates, they are told they need to either turn around and go home or to place themselves on self quarantine for 2 weeks. Most say they are going to quarantine. Most likely they continue to head to south Florida to visit their friends/family or go to the theme parks which are essentially now open, ignoring the order to quarantine. The VAST majority of positive cases are coming from south Florida.

There have been reports of 200-300 cars each day from those states pass through the checkpoint.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  bugsy @5    4 years ago

Florida had a lot of protests. So did Texas. 

Funny how that gets ignored. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2    4 years ago

The other funny thing is that the majority of these protests in Florida are in south Florida cities, most notably Miami, which is a democrat stronghold.

Wonder why they never mention that? s/

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    4 years ago

What you have 'noticed' doesn't mean JACK SHIT.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @6    4 years ago

Talking to yoursef again?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

Yep it’s not one size fits all. There is going to be ebbing and flowing as we learn to live with the Chinese flu. Some areas like Utah are just now getting their first wave. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
8  bugsy    4 years ago

The left and their media propaganda arm are very predictable. There are several scenarios that will play out both this Saturday night during the rally, then again over the next couple of weeks.

Scenario 1- 2 Possibilities. 1st possibility...The backdrop will consist of people all wearing face masks. The media will say these people are nothing more than props and the only reason they are wearing face masks is for the cameras, even if wide shots around the arena will show most, if not all, people wearing masks. Liberals and the media do not understand personal responsibility that conservatives practice every day.

2nd possibility....No one, or few, in the backdrop, will be wearing face masks. The media will promptly tell their lemmings that these people are going to kill others around them.

Scenario 2- Liberal groups will track rally goer cell phones, as they were known to do during the protests at Michigan state house. If there is even a smidgen of a spike anywhere in the country that even only one rally goer lives, the media will spin this one person as proof that Trump is trying to kill people.

No matter what the media "reports", the liberal lemmings, many on here, will lap it all up as proof that Trump wants to kill people.

In the meantime, we will continue to see riots, protests and looting throughout blue cities, and the media will not say one word about the possibility of COVID spread.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    4 years ago

'DEMOCRAT RUN CITIES HAVE THE HIGHEST NUMBERS OF COVID CASES IN THE COUNTRY.

YOU NEED A NEW HANDLER TO GIVE YOU TALKING POINTS.'

No proof, no nothing, just lies, as usual.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @9    4 years ago

Maybe you should take the advice Freewill gave you the other day. If you actually engage in debate, you may have 1 or 2 people on here respect you.

Also a bit of friendly advice from me....If you want to respond to me, there is a little button below my post that says "reply". Click on that and you will reply directly to me. Other than that, you are just pissing in the wind with your inane comments.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.2  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @9    4 years ago
No proof, no nothing, just lies, as usual.  

Use your mouse to scroll over the northeast states, all of which are blue..and California. No other states come close to the numbers that have been reported in those blue states.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @9.2    4 years ago

That a few seconds of life you'll never get back.

Some won't read links because they don't like to see proof that they are wrong, and if they don't look at it, it simply doesn't exist.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  Tessylo    4 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11  Tessylo    4 years ago

I don't see that in the charts.  No surprise that what you say is there, ISN'T

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
11.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @11    4 years ago

Scroll over the map...........................

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @11.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @11.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @11.1.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12  Tessylo    4 years ago

Don't you listen?  I don't want your help.  Don't need it.  Buzz off.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13  Tessylo    4 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
13.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @13    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @13.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
13.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @13.1.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14  Tessylo    4 years ago
(deleted)

bugsy
Professor Participates
14.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @14    4 years ago

removed for context

Tessylo
Professor Principal
18  Tessylo    4 years ago

I'm not interested in impotent white 'men'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20  Tessylo    4 years ago

The numbers are higher in Texass and Floriduh, not Democrat states. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
21  bugsy    4 years ago

Jesus, how can anyone be so uninformed...

New York (not including NYC)...173,000 cases...85398 deaths

NYC...212.000 ...22,000 deaths

New Jersey....167,000 cases...12,700 deaths

Not seeing Florida yet

Massachusetts...105,000cases...7600 deaths

Pennsylvania...79,000 cases...7300 deaths

Michigan   66,200 cases...6,000 deaths

Nope...no Florida yet

California...153,000 cases...5100 deaths

Illinios...134,000 cases....6500 deaths

Ahhh...here's Florida...well below the BLUE STATES above

Florida...78,000 cases...2900 deaths.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
22  Tessylo    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @22    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
23  Tessylo    4 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
24  Tessylo    4 years ago

103830940_3117535354955924_7490493776757805304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=9z_Zzy6UcicAX8LNP3E&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=b28ec7a77a64017abd0f110111cc44be&oe=5F131058

P.S. THE CO-VID 19  VIRUS IS GOING UP UP UP UP UP IN TEXASS AND FLORIDUH

DEMOCRAT run states?

LOL