╌>

Donald Trump: This Racism Goes Up To Eleven - Wonkette

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   David Weiss (Wonkette)

Donald Trump: This Racism Goes Up To Eleven - Wonkette
Manifest destiny, y'all ... manifest destiny!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Post-Racial AmericaStephen RobinsonJuly 07, 2020 12:49 PM

There was so much concentrated awful at Donald Trump's Mount Rushmore hate rally that you might've missed this bit of racist trolling. Historian Daniel Mandell noted on Twitter that Trump's campaign staff played "Garryowen" as the president's intro music.    "Garryowen"is ...."the official marching tune of Colonel George Custer's Seventh Cavalry."

In November 1868, Custer's troops had quietly positioned themselves around a small Cheyenne village on the Washita River in Western Oklahoma. Black Kettle, the chief — one of the Council of Forty-Four Peace Chiefs of the Cheyenne — had just returned a day earlier from talks seeking peace at Fort Cobb, about 100 miles to the east.
At dawn on November 27, Custer's troops — 700 men — played " Garryowen" as they launched a devastating attack on the village of about 250 men, women, and children. The village was destroyed. Around 50 persons, mostly women, children, and elderly, were killed. Pregnant women were cut open, their babies left to die on the frozen ground. Many more were wounded. Another 53 — women and children — were captured and used as human shields (deliberately positioned on horseback throughout Custer's troops) to keep the regiment safe as they marched on to the next fort.

The body of a Cheyenne child killed in the massacre eventually wound up displayed in a local history museum in Cheyenne, Oklahoma.

Trump probably doesn't visit museums so his awareness of Custer and "Garryowen" likely comes from the movie They Died With Their Boots On .

On the 100th anniversary of the massacre, in 1968, the "Grandsons of the Seventh Cavalry," descendants of cavalry members, and relatives of the Cheyenne met for a ceremony where the Cheyenne buried the massacred child in sacred ground.

From  Irish Central:

The 7th Cavalry captain Eric Gault was presented with the blanket that had wrapped the baby's coffin as a gesture of goodwill, an incredible kindness. [...]
Lawrence Hart, a Cheyenne peace chief, remembered the captain approached him crying.
"He took a pin from his uniform and said, 'Lawrence this is the Garryowen pin worn by the original members of the 7th Cavalry. It is the signal to attack. I have taken it off my uniform and I want you to have it on behalf of the Cheyenne people. We are sorry that 'Garryowen' was played that day 100 years ago and never again will it be played against your people.'"

Oh well.

Trump chose to hold his America Uber Alles rally in the Black Hills, an area sacred to the Sioux, which like Tina Turner has existed on Earth longer than Mount Rushmore. Yet his campaign played that song. It's a punch in the face to the Cheyenne or any Native person who understands its history. Trump's speech at Rushmore wasn't about history, though, but great white male myth making.

We should also discuss an especially odious and appalling passage in Trump's speech, which the White House Twitter account chose to share Monday above a photo of Trump and Mike Pence's fucked-up heads. We all know he didn't write this because it has adjectives and punctuation.

"Americans are the people who pursued our Manifest Destiny across the ocean, into the uncharted wilderness, over th… https://t.co/buRjleZ1V6 — The White House (@The White House)1594087321.0

So, I grew up in South Carolina in the 1980s and even my schoolteachers looked slightly askance at manifest destiny. We were still taught that there were "nice slave owners," but there was a sheepish admission of America's brutal imperialism and violence against Native people, who had already charted a lot of that "uncharted wilderness."

Columnist John L. O'Sullivan first used the term "manifest destiny" to describe his belief that God wanted (white) Americans to have all the land ... you know, for kids, and to spread democracy. He believed the "inevitable destiny" of Mexico was to fall before the might of the US.

CRAZY-ASS RACIST: They must amalgamate and be lost, in the superior vigor of the Anglo-Saxon race, or they must utterly perish. They may postpone the hour for a time, but it will come, when their nationality shall cease.

(Yes, he's talking about fucking when he talks about "superior vigor.")

After the Mexican-American War, Mexico ceded territory to the US that now accounts for New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, Texas, and western Colorado.

O'Sullivan was later a supporter of the Confederacy and believed Blacks and whites couldn't "coexist" without slavery, which Black folks would argue isn't really much of an "existence."

Not everyone was on board the Manifest Destiny Express at the time: Republicans Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant both rejected it.

GRANT: I was bitterly opposed to the measure [to annex Texas], and to this day regard the war [with Mexico] which resulted as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory.

Further back, in 1843, former President John Quincy Adams changed his mind about expansionism because it also meant expanding slavery into Texas.

Adolf Hitler, though, was a big fan and considered his conquest of Europe as Germany's "manifest destiny": "There's only one duty: to Germanize this country [Russia] by the immigration of Germans and to look upon the natives as Redskins."

It's one thing to spin American expansion as a history of relatively peaceful exploration, like you're the Federation in Star Trek, but when you start talking about "our manifest destiny," you sound like a common Borg. Fortunately, resistance to Trumpism isn't futile.

[Medium / Twitter / Irish Central]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
It's one thing to spin American expansion as a history of relatively peaceful exploration, like you're the Federation in Star Trek, but when you start talking about "our manifest destiny," you sound like a common Borg. Fortunately, resistance to Trumpism isn't futile.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I dont usually watch Trump rallies at all, but I did find the one at Mt Rushmore on You Tube live and watched some of it up until Trump started droning on and on and on like he always does.  The whole thing seemed, well, strange, but some of the music seemed particularly odd. They played a recording of "Funeral For A Friend" from the Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album, and while the instrumental is an impressive piece of atmospheric excess, it was a strange choice for this occasion. 

Then I heard a recording of Garry Owen being played, and it immediately struck me as someone trying to rub the Indians noses in it. The speech was being given on Indian land. Why play the theme song of the 7th cavalry? 

Trump never did mention Custer, but why would he, Custer was a loser. 

I thought the Manifest Destiny element of the speech was wildly inappropriate as well. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    4 years ago

Trumpy racism up to Eleven?  Nah.  Same place its always been----except the megaphone is far larger.

The Mount Rushmore thing?  Well, that is over.  In a week it'll be forgotten and another Trumpian playshot will be the 12 hour rage. 

Is Elton John okay with his music being played at a Trump event?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bbl-1 @3    4 years ago
Is Elton John okay with his music being played at a Trump event?

i doubt it

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago

Then Elton must publicly say so.  Let the 'Trump game' play Kid Rock crap.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago

Elton John performed at Rush Limbaugh's wedding. What does that tell you ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.2    4 years ago

"Elton John performed at Rush Limbaugh's wedding. What does that tell you ?"

Which one?

Sounds like he will do anything for a buck.  I'm surprised.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    4 years ago
Which one?

Does it even matter ? I lost any respect I ever had for Elton John.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.4    4 years ago

Chill.  I was joking. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.6  pat wilson  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    4 years ago

I'm chill, my "does it matter ?" was merely rhetorical.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

I fully understood the reason why Garryowen was played. Being an Army veteran and an American Indian, it's didn't slip by me. 

Wounded Knee Massacre, South Dakota...7th US Calvary. Mount Rushmore is 100 miles from Mount Rushmore.

Two days ago, a federal judge stopped the DAPL and gave the company 30 days to shut it down. KARMA

Yesterday SCOTUS upheld a lower court ruling on the Keystone XL pipeline. More KARMA

Two of Trump EO's out the window...KARMA

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @4    4 years ago
Mount Rushmore is 100 miles from Mount Rushmore.

Should read Mount Rushmore is 100 miles from Wounded Knee.