╌>

Gun sales soar as calls to defund police grow louder

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  4 years ago  •  70 comments

By:    David M. Drucker, Senior Political Correspondent

Gun sales soar as calls to defund police grow louder
business is booming in the aftermath of protests and riots related to the death of George Floyd, a development they attribute directly to a push by some left-wing activists to slash taxpayer funding for police departments.

Liberals creating Jobs ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

It's Funny when Liberals really know not what they do, especially when they're trying to eliminate something ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Gun retailers say business is booming in the aftermath of protests and riots related to the   death of George Floyd , a development they attribute directly to a push by some left-wing activists to slash taxpayer funding for police departments.

The increase in the number of U.S. citizens submitting background checks for approval to arm themselves began in March, amid fears of a possible breakdown in social order generated by the   coronavirus . The trend has continued into late June, with the civil unrest roiling American cities and concern about proposals to neuter local law enforcement, leading to record numbers of firearms purchases.

“Anything that can cause people to feel unsafe in relation to possible physical crime to self, others and property can drive firearm sales,” gun industry analyst Rob Southwick told   CNN Business , which   first reported   the news.

Added Mark Oliva, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, “You’re seeing a reaction to people’s concerns about being able to provide safety for themselves and the ones that they love.”

According to reports by   CNN Business , more than 6.5 million background checks were processed from Jan. 1 through April 30, a 48% increase over the number of background checks submitted for vetting during the same period in previous years. Updated statistics on background check requests, which is tracked by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, is due out in July.

The group estimates that 40% of guns sold in May were to first-time buyers, information it bases on a survey of firearms retailers.

“We’ve gotten a lot of new customers,” said Jillian Biltz, owner of gun store Mad Dog Armory in Largo, Florida, in an interview with   CNN Business . “The protests started happening, and then people just started getting nervous."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    4 years ago

Went to the Gun show over the weekend. Ammo was selling like hotcakes ! They were coming into the show in pallets, and you bought right from the pallet.

Had to wait (I have a Carry Permit) and pick up my new gun (Smith and Wesson M&P 40) on Sunday. Took that long for them to process the paperwork, there were so many people buying guns.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  It Is ME @1    4 years ago

Good choice. I’ve been shopping around myself and inventory is slim. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1    4 years ago
I’ve been shopping around myself and inventory is slim. 

For sure.

Even bought a Ruger tactical 10/22 rifle 'cause of all the 22 rounds I have.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.4  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.3    4 years ago

Henry rifles are sooooo cool, but kinda high on price for me. I guess Price goes along with quality.

Love their "The New Original Henry" in .45 Colt/13 rounds. 

One Day ! jrSmiley_36_smiley_image.gif

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.1.6  Transyferous Rex  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.5    4 years ago
that's a Century Arms 45-70 wheel gun

As Borat would say..."It's niiice!" 

How's it handle? Friend has one...surprisingly good shooter...custom grip could use some work though.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.1    4 years ago

Oh so you're the one who bought them all ...... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.8  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.7    4 years ago

I "Plink"..... bunches. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.3    4 years ago

I own a KelTec PF9 9 mm pistol and a Mossberg M709 Tactical Plinkster .22 caliber rifle. Don't really like the PF9 too much as the grip is somewhat boxy and bulky but it serves the purpose in a pinch. No safety either. I think I will add a .380 pistol and/or a .226/5.56 caliber AR-15 style weapon as well as well. Fortunately I live about 60 miles the Fort Huachuca Army base in SE AZ. They sell firearms on base through the PX and I can use my PX credit card.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.1.11  Transyferous Rex  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.9    4 years ago
 Super accurate and surprisingly little kick...I just wish the ammo wasn't so damn expensive.

Yes. Not your every day plinker.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  seeder  It Is ME    4 years ago

Keep up the Good Work Defunding the Police ! jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Liberal politicians are the greatest gun sales persons on earth!  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    4 years ago
Liberal politicians are the greatest gun sales persons on earth!  

And they don't even know it ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

Seems many have been Defunded of the capitol required to comprehend, as money allocated will still be appropriated, just applied a tad differently, and how does investing in ways and means to AVOID the need for such a police presence,that could be a gift that keeps giving, as opposed to a LIE, that keeps on Living, truly hurt our society ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    4 years ago
and how does investing in ways and means to AVOID the need for such a police presence

You mean things like maybe starting another self help thing, by writing a book on "How not to Commit crimes for the Stupid" ?

Or maybe .......

"Why a life of Crime is Bad for the Stupid" ?

Maybe....

"Why do you do what you do for the Stupid" will help ?

oooooo ....... maybe another sit down beer summit for anyone holding a beef against someone, or NEEDING to shoot or steal from someone. jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif

Beers FREE ? jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    4 years ago
money allocated will still be appropriated, just applied a tad differently, and how does investing in ways and means to AVOID the need for such a police presence,

I agree, in some places that demand defunding , it will be applied a tad differently , in stead of an armed police response , it might be an un armed crisis management  social worker who when the shit turns real will be about as useful as teets on a boar hog, or tits on a nun .dependent on how you look at it.

Urban areas might be able to get their LEO s defunded and castrated , but I seriously doubt it will get past a lot of suburban and rural areas , those arming themselves in the event that the police are made null and void , have every right to quietly and annonimously arm themselves for their own self protection and preservation.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.3    4 years ago
those arming themselves in the event that the police are made null and void , have every right to quietly and annonimously arm themselves for their own self protection and preservation.

i  don't recall stating otherwise, too many responding are not comprehending the message i'm sending. Money, SOME from that allocated for POLICE, can be applied with far greater success, if it averts the NEED for such a POLICE PRESENCE. If people cannot comprehend this proven remedy, i'll not be able to  enable them to see

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.3    4 years ago

Our police in this California city will not be defunded in anyway.  In fact we are going to have a back the blue rally in front of city hall later today from 1-2 pm our time zone.  I’m going.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    4 years ago

Instead of throwing out the baby with the bathwater, sweeping reform should be done, not defunding.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.4    4 years ago

More like enforcing existing gun laws!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

of course use of specialty made ammunition is always a viable option.

GregTx
PhD Guide
6.1  GregTx  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    4 years ago

Absolutely, Dragonsbreath and flechettes are two of my favorites.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  GregTx @6.1    4 years ago

Im partial to "cracker " rounds .

for the uninitiated , all those are is a shotshell loaded with a firecracker inside , usually used to scare off birds from a ag field .  use them right , like shoot off to the flank of a group and they hear what they think is 2 different gunshots , leave them an egress path and they usually take it because they think they are being shot at from 2 different directions.

GregTx
PhD Guide
6.1.2  GregTx  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.1    4 years ago

Ok, sounds a little racist though... Never used those before. Bird bombs out of a launcher but not those. Sound like they would be useful flushing quail and such too.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  GregTx @6.1.2    4 years ago

when I was stationed in Oklahoma , a local used them to flush quail and doves , just check the state game laws about legality.

It only sounds racist because of todays racial climate , basically all it is is a shotshell with an old m-60 or M-80 stuffed inside with the fuse set through the wad so the powder lights the fuse. easy to make too.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.1.4  bccrane  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.1    4 years ago

For the problem with the deer in our area, the DNR handed out these 12 ga shells to scare the deer out of the fields, it worked for a few times until the deer realized that that little sting that happens after the bang wasn't happening, so it was fine to just stand there and continue eating.

Some farmers had the propane cannons for scaring birds to scare the deer and you heard the cannons going off constantly around here, until they noticed that as the cannons were going off the deer were munching on the crops right next to them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  bccrane @6.1.4    4 years ago

Fricken DNR.  

For years they denied there was any Wolves or Cougars in the UP of Michigan.   Then they started showing up on trail cams.

The gig was up then ....

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.1.6  bccrane  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.5    4 years ago

They've been denying the cougars and wolves in the lower, yet we've had sightings of both cougars and something that is a lot larger than a coyote and we're below the 45th on the east side of Michigan.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6.1.1    4 years ago

I am more old school...rock salt and bacon rhine in a double barreled shotgun.  I can attest from personal experience that it hurts like hell.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.7    4 years ago

My experience on both ends of the barrels can concur that it does indeed hurt like hell.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @6    4 years ago

loved that show!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Hardly a peep from the gun grabber crowd. Yet another example of how progressives fail to think ahead of the messes they create and the unintended consequences of their misguided actions and words.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @7    4 years ago

Gun bad!  

Unless gun is protecting them then gun good!

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     4 years ago

We don't piss around buying a weapon to two. We make bids on buying the whole damn company.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @8    4 years ago
We make bids on buying the whole damn company.

Nothing like having a personal Arsenal that rivals any one person. LOL !

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @8.1    4 years ago

We made a bid for Remington Arms...No use in pissing around, we want the real heavy weapons.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @8.1.1    4 years ago
No use in pissing around, we want the real heavy weapons.

LOL !

You're not gonna do the Hoarding thing ..... are you ?

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Kavika   replied to  It Is ME @8.1.2    4 years ago

Naw, no hoarding since we control protection it's an unlimited supply.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @8.1.1    4 years ago

I haven't bought a Remington in 30 years , Winchester or Browning for me , less safety recalls 

devangelical
Professor Principal
9  devangelical    4 years ago

meh, I have what I need for any free gun I want laying on the ground in the near future.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
10  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Seems like a lot of new gun owners - perhaps 2.6 million but that's about a 1 percent increase in gun ownership which has been on decline in the US since 2011.

Most of the purchases then are by existing gun owners. Last time I checked, about 60% of the guns in the US were owned by about 20% of the population. (Sort of a Pareto Principle thing.)Gun sales themselves have been increasing over the years, not to be confused with individual owners of 1 or more guns.

Before 2020  gun ownership by individual adults was estimated to be about 30%. House hold ownership - about 43% . Totally different surveys tend to be in agreement about this. (Oh but people lie. Sure, Democrats who have a gun lie and say they don't. Republicans who don't have a gun lie and say they do etc.)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1  Sparty On  replied to  Account Deleted @10    4 years ago

Gun ownership polls in the USA.

A set of polls you probably don't want to pay much attention to.

Take that one to the bank and cash it.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
10.1.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Sparty On @10.1    4 years ago

So the same polls that say that Republicans are more likely to own guns than Democrats are wrong?

So the same polls that say a majority have a positive opinion of gun ownership even if they do not own one - are wrong?

So the same polls that say that for 75% of gun owners, they believe the right to own guns is essential to personal freedom - are wrong?

That for 75% of gun owners - they could not see themselves not owning a gun - that's wrong too.

Lots and lots of polls by different organizations.

But of course if you think all data research is a hoax  then you are left with what?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Account Deleted @10.1.1    4 years ago

Think what you want.  

I know that a significant percentage of gun owners consider such questions nobodies business but their own.

My comment stands and you'd do well to heed it.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.2  Ronin2  replied to  Account Deleted @10    4 years ago

Want to lay wagers the amount of people that own a gun that will lie about it; far outweigh those that claim to have a gun but really don't?

Also not just Democrats lie about having a gun. Republicans, Libertarians, and independent conservatives do as well.  (Of course I am sure all criminals are honest about it as well) All part of the "None of your damn business. Go to hell!" movement.

Just look at the 2016 presidential elections to see how accurate polls really are. 

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
10.2.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Ronin2 @10.2    4 years ago
Just look at the 2016 presidential elections to see how accurate polls really are. 

Sure - Look at RealClearPolitics   they predicted a 3.3 spread in favor of Clinton. They got a 2.1 spread - off 1.2 points. Most of the  "real polls"  were within their published margins of error. Rasmussen was almost spot on with a predicted 2 point spread.

So sure look at the polls that predicted, correctly a win for Clinton in the popular vote - within 1.2 points. (Popular vote - that means most voters did not want Trump the first time.)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Account Deleted @10.2.1    4 years ago

"So sure look at the polls that predicted, correctly a win for Clinton in the popular vote - within 1.2 points. (Popular vote - that means most voters did not want Trump the first time.)"

And they/we/I don't want tRump the second time . . . 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.2.3  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Ronin2 @10.2    4 years ago

)))))) Shivers((((((( ...... Down my Leg. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Account Deleted @10.2.1    4 years ago

How quickly some forget.

Most polls gave Trump NO chance to secure an Electoral College victory.   None.   I know that because i went to bed that night fully expecting to have the old sea hag as our next president.   And then ..... well, you know the rest .....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.4    4 years ago

man, that is a little sad.

watching grown adults in tears, some near tears, and screaming at the sky was priceless entertainment. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.5    4 years ago

Yeah, the denial stage.   Most of them still haven't made it past the anger stage .....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sparty On @10.2.4    4 years ago

I got really drunk that night playing a drinking game of taking shots every time the talking heads had to call a state for trump....thought I was going to go to bed sober , not sleeping wrapped around the comodean goddess.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.7    4 years ago

Lol ..... been there done that ..... the porcelain bus part ....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sparty On @10.2.8    4 years ago

Im not playing that game this year....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.2.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Account Deleted @10.2.1    4 years ago
Sure - Look at RealClearPolitics   they predicted a 3.3 spread in favor of Clinton. They got a 2.1 spread - off 1.2 points. Most of the  "real polls"  were within their published margins of error. Rasmussen was almost spot on with a predicted 2 point spread.

We've heard that before. It depends upon what part of the year you look at. I always recalled the huge leads Hillary had:

AIA2020061601-table2.png

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.11  Sparty On  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.9    4 years ago

Me either and you won't catch me screaming at the sky in either case ..... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent
10.2.12  TTGA  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.7    4 years ago
not sleeping wrapped around the comodean goddess.

You mean paying homage to the great porcelain god Ralph???

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.13  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TTGA @10.2.12    4 years ago

and his brother earl

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.13    4 years ago

And one of his famous ancestors ..... Wyatt Earp

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11  Tessylo    4 years ago

This gun fetish is disturbing.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
11.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @11    4 years ago

The ones talking about them, aren't the ones you should be worried about !

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @11    4 years ago
This gun fetish is disturbing.

Not nearly as much as the mob violence and progressive mayors & DA's fueling the fire.