╌>

School hearing dismissed after angry parents pack room without masks

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  4 years ago  •  56 comments

School hearing dismissed after angry parents pack room without masks
"Since when do we have a constitutional right to put other lives in danger? We can't smoke in public places, because it puts other people's lives in danger,"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tensions flared at a public hearing in Utah over the state's mask mandate for schoolchildren after several parents defied orders  by packing the room without face coverings.

The parents, some of whom carried signs condemning face masks, failed to sit in the marked seats and booed at the Utah County officials Wednesday night. The hearing was held over a letter by Utah County Commissioner Bill Lee, which asked Gov. Gary Herbert to waive his requirement kindergarten to 12th grade students wear a mask when schools reopen.

Utah County Commissioner Tanner Ainge has opposed the letter citing safety for the students and admonished the crowd for blatantly putting everyone in the hearing room at risk by not wearing masks or socially distancing.

"This is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing," Ainge told the crowd before he was booed. 

The hearing, held in Provo, Utah, was postponed by a 2-1 vote, which triggered more boos and angry calls from the mask mandate's opponents.

Herbert has called for schools to reopen in the fall, with local districts providing specific guidelines -- including blended learning models. He issued a mandate earlier this month requiring kids and teachers to wear a mask while at school.

Utah has seen a jump in coronavirus cases over the last few weeks, with 21,639 new cases reported since June 1, according to the state's health department. The state saw an average of 481 cases a day during that period, with some days seeing a record number of new cases. On July 9, 868 Utah residents contracted COVID-19, according to the health department.

As of July 16, there have been 234 deaths in the state due to the virus, the health department said.

Despite the rise in cases, some parents questioned the need for masks for their kids.

"I think it's totally wrong. I think it's a political hoax, and I am against masks," Denna Robertson  told Salt Lake City ABC affiliate KTVX .

Lee, who joined some of the opponents in a protest outside the meeting, said the state should have had more communication with communities before the mandate.

"There's not enough that we understand. They're sitting there going, 'Wait a second. Wait a second, we should have more discussion,'" he told KTVX.

Some teachers and parents at the meeting, however, argued that the risks are too hard to ignore and that masks are needed to stop the spread of the virus.

"Since when do we have a constitutional right to put other lives in danger? We can't smoke in public places, because it puts other people's lives in danger," Tina Cannon, a former teacher, asked one of the opponents during the hearing, according to KTVX.

Another teacher, who carried a sign that encouraged mask wearing, engaged with the dissenters. 

"All I'm saying is, I'm trying to save my grandma's life, and I'm a teacher," he said. 

Studies have shown that wearing a face covering   greatly reduces the amount of transmission   of COVID-19 in places where social distancing cannot be maintained. Herbert signed an executive order on July 10 that mandated face coverings for anyone entering a state property.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

"I think it's totally wrong. I think it's a political hoax, and I am against masks,"..... Denna Robertson

It is this level of stupid that we have to overcome to get our country past the pandemic, and on the road to recovery.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1  Account Deleted  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago

Will Utah soon change it's state motto from "Industry" to

Live Free AND Die

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Account Deleted @1.1    4 years ago

Let me guess..... They need to change their flag to a belly up snake on a yellow background.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  Account Deleted  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Good idea.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago

The only thing worse than the pandemic is the plague of stupid in this country.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    4 years ago

November can't come quick enough Gordy.  Only then can we put it in the cheap seats rather than in the front row as it has been of late.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Unbelievable.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

meh, that's probably just one family from southern utah....../s

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  Account Deleted  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago

I'll see if I can get a hold of "Cabbee from Utah" (Old Newsvine) to confirm that.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Account Deleted @2.1.1    4 years ago

lol, I remember him...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    4 years ago

I can't remember what I had for lunch sometimes, but I remember Cabbee.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I've come up with a slogan that states should use:

DON'T BE AN ASS WEAR THE MASK

Now I need to generate a meme with that

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

just use any current picture of fearless leader...

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

This doesn’t have your exact slogan but I like it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2    4 years ago

I love that one! Especially because it's got Freddy Mercury!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2    4 years ago

I did make one:

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.2.3  JaneDoe  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.1    4 years ago

I am a Freddy fan too!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2.3    4 years ago

High Five!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.2.5  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2    4 years ago

Perfect JD!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2    4 years ago

No mask on your face,

You big disgrace

Spreading your germs all over the place

We will, we will mask you

We will, we will mask you

(You can put it to music)

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.2.7  JaneDoe  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.6    4 years ago

Awesome Buzz!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.6    4 years ago

Randy Rainbow could rock that.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
3.3  Account Deleted  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

Hey - let's not limit their freedom that much - I'm OK with "Be and Ass but wear a Mask"

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Account Deleted @3.3    4 years ago

lol

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.4  pat wilson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

"Don't be a maskhole"

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

108994552_10223669151860304_5779069101902463027_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=uLvUyTrGSQkAX9TDZiw&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=baf0d160778d5ba50d161fa954f4ac45&oe=5F3764BD

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.5    4 years ago

Both good ones, Ladies!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

"Don't make me ask. Just put on your mask"

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    4 years ago

From captain throat punch

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
6  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Ahhh to be a cartoonist. Picture a KKK march. Cheering crowds of many races lining the street.

All holding signs:

"Thank you for wearing a mask."

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Account Deleted @6    4 years ago

kkk, full face mask compliance for the last 155 years...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I just got my car inspected this morning.  When I got there, there was a woman in the waiting area, sitting on a stool at the cashier, pretty much on top of the credit card terminal.  There were plenty of other seats that would have been out of the way.  I waited outside on the porch while they had my car in the bay.  When they were done and I went in to pay, she was still there, hovering over the credit card terminal.  No mask, or course.  In fact, I was the only one there who had a mask.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    4 years ago
"Since when do we have a constitutional right to put other lives in danger? We can't smoke in public places, because it puts other people's lives in danger,"

I think that's a fair observation, but the laws against smoking were written and passed by duly elected legislatures and city councils, then approved by governors and mayors. We have a democratic process that should be respected. In the early days, I think quick, emergency action by governors and mayors was warranted. But we are several months into this now, and there is no longer justification for throwing away the legal process on a permanent basis.

We also expect that laws like smoking restrictions or mandatory mask wearing will be based on the science. While it seems to me that a majority of the science indicates masks protect both the wearer and those around them, I am aware of reports of conflicting findings. There should be public acknowledgement of the scientific work underpinning guidelines and laws.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
9.1  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @9    4 years ago
There should be public acknowledgement of the scientific work underpinning guidelines and laws.

trump won't allow that.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.2  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @9    4 years ago
But we are several months into this now, and there is no longer justification for throwing away the legal process on a permanent basis.

No one is saying we should make mask wearing mandatory-- on a permanent basis!

Anyway, do you seriously believe that people would want people to wear masks long after there is a vassibe-- and the virus is gone? Mandate the wearing of masks for the Corona for the next 5 years? 50 years?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @9.2    4 years ago
No one is saying we should make mask wearing mandatory-- on a permanent basis!

No one would. It's not politically smart. You never tell people you're going to keep the power you seize. You just keep finding ways to keep it. When have you ever heard of government giving power back that it had taken?

Anyway, do you seriously believe that people would want people to wear masks long after there is a vassibe-- and the virus is gone? Mandate the wearing of masks for the Corona for the next 5 years? 50 years?

Absolutely. It will become a way of life. Even if we eliminate the coronavirus (and who will decide when that has happened?), there will be other diseases. Another coronavirus/SARS will develop in Asia. Why wouldn't it? Seasonal Flu. All we need is one scientist to say some virus has the potential to be dangerous and we can go right back into lockdown because some governor, mayor, or president decided it was the best call for public safety.

It sounds good, and it might even be the right call someday. But we need to respect our process, which creates accountability. Right now, we seem to have chucked all those notions out the window.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.3  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @9    4 years ago

But we are several months into this now, and there is no longer justification for throwing away the legal process on a permanent basis.

Yes-- we are several months into this-- and in some states such as georgia the rates are increasing even faster tha they did initially.

But re: your argument-- what if the mayor of a major city where the virus is spiking wants to mandate wearing masks? (Its beyond the point where making masks "optional" would have any effect-- because that's what they've been doing along along-- and cases are spiking!

But what if the asshole of a governor refuses to let the mayor take action to save lives?

Why does the governor insist on preventing the mayor from doing what is best for her city?

The mayor of Atlanta is calling Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp’s move to sue the city over its mask mandate “bizarre,” and says she believes it is linked to President Trump’s recent visit to the state.

“The filing of a lawsuit is simply bizarre, quite frankly,” Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said on the "Today" show, arguing that other cities, such as Savannah, had also issued mask orders as early as July 1, but Kemp only moved when Atlanta ordered masks.

“I don’t think it is happenstance that this lawsuit came the day after Donald Trump visited Atlanta and I pointed out he was violating city law by not having on a mask in Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport,” she said.

Bottoms had announced on July 10 that Atlanta would go back to "Phase 1" status as coronavirus cases surged in the city, arguing the state had been "recklessly" reopened too soon. The move threatened to shutter restaurant dining rooms and non-essential city facilities. At the same time, Bottoms claimed her orders were not "inconsistent" with Kemp's.

Bottoms said she believes it is related to President Trump’s recent visit to the state, where she criticized him for not masking up. (Continued in NT seeded article HERE)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @9.3    4 years ago
But what if the asshole of a governor refuses to let the mayor take action to save lives?

You make my point. Should a governor have that power? Or if the state wants to overrule a mayor, shouldn't that come from the legislature? Why should one person have that power?

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     4 years ago

I'm very sure that I heard the group say, ''I don't wear a mask cuz I talk out my ass''.

Ender
Professor Principal
11  Ender    4 years ago

Dad fighting for life after 'son went out with friends without a mask' https:// mol.im/a/8531497

EMNRyIfe?format=jpg&name=small
Father fighting for his life after contracting COVID-19 from his son
John Place, 42, from Plantation, Florida is currently in the intensive care unit at Westside Regional Medical Center where he was put on a ventilator for more than two weeks.
dailymail.co.uk

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @11    4 years ago

One thing in this story that really got to me was the people calling the stepmom evil for blaming the kid who brought it home.  He made a bad decision, and his dad might die from it.  It was selfishness on his part.  I'm sure he's sorry now, but sorry won't save his dad's life.

His story could be the story of any person who is not taking this seriously and spreads the virus.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1    4 years ago

It just shows me that even though this guy wasn't a kid, sending kids back to school has the high risk of many of the kids bringing the virus back home.

Makes me ask the question, what is more important. A kid going to school everyday or the potential of some of those kids losing their parents.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @11.1.1    4 years ago

I'll admit to being on the fence regarding school.  Of course I'm worried about the virus, but I also worry about the effect of missing more school on education.  Virginia's rollout of distance learning in March was ridiculous.  A bust.  If they haven't improved their online curriculum by August (or at least formulated an online curriculum), our kids are going to essentially miss an entire year of education.

Not to mention the economic impact on working families, whose childcare expenses will likely increase sharply.

We're supposed to be trying an in-person/distance learning combination to minimize exposure.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1    4 years ago

He's 21 years old, not exactly a kid. Really really stupid of him, a real dumb ass.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.4  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.2    4 years ago

There has to be some kind of compromise, I guess.

I just think it would be almost impossible to keep kids apart. Including teenagers.

And it pisses me off when donald said he would try to cut funding for universities that didn't meet his open guidelines. When they are trying to do a mixture of online and in person.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @11.1.4    4 years ago

Apparently, elementary kids will be spread out through the elementary, middle, and high schools for their 4 days per week.  Middle and high schoolers will each go 1 day per week, in 4 groups.  Masks, social distancing, limited capacity in the cafeteria, and so forth.  And limited capacity on school buses, so most kids will be driven to school by their parents.

More details should be forthcoming.  Spread has slowed in my county, but we still see the occasional spike.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.6  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.5    4 years ago

Hasn't slowed here. Only gotten worse. We hit a high of 1k a day.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.7  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.5    4 years ago

I know it sucks for the kids, and the parents. I think at times no one knows what to do.

Just a tricky, fragile situation.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @11.1.7    4 years ago
I think at times no one knows what to do.

No.  I know several of the school board members, and when I asked them about this a month or so ago, all they had for an answer was a big sigh.  It's impossible to plan for school when we don't really know how our infection rates will look by the time the school year opens.

Our county fair has been canceled, which is a good thing.  They originally planned to have the fair, with a different format, but decided against it.  I'm sure the health department and hospitals were NOT looking forward to the potential fallout from that.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @11    4 years ago

That picture should be on a tee shirt with....WEAR A MASK OR THIS COULD BE YOU!