╌>

A Red Lobster employee found a rare blue lobster. Instead of cooking it, the restaurant sent it to an Ohio zoo

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  4 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   By Alisha Ebrahimji, CNN

A Red Lobster employee found a rare blue lobster. Instead of cooking it, the restaurant sent it to an Ohio zoo

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A rare blue lobster has received a reprieve after a restaurant sent it to an Ohio zoo for conservation instead of consumption.

© Akron Zoo/Facebook  The Akron Zoo landed a rare find recently, adopting a blue lobster from a nearby Red Lobster after restaurant employees recognized the rarity of the blue shell.

An Akron Zoo Facebook post on Sunday said a Red Lobster employee who found a blue lobster in a delivery to the Cuyahoga Falls eatery recognized just how rare the creatures are.

About 1 of every 2 million lobsters is blue, according to the zoo. The blue shell is due to a genetic anomaly.

Red Lobster staff named the blue lobster Clawde after the restaurant's mascot and contacted the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which then reached out to the zoo.

"Our animal care staff was able to quickly spring into action and prepare a new home for him," the zoo said on Facebook.

"Clawde is acclimating to his new home here at the Akron Zoo, in a special tank that has been dubbed 'Clawde's Man Cave' by his care team."

The zoo said Clawde is housed in their Komodo Kingdom building, which is currently closed to the public because of the coronvirus pandemic.

And while this discovery is very rare, it's far from the first time a colored lobster has been discovered.

In May 2019, a Massachusetts restaurant found   blue lobster   in its shipment and sent it to a local aquarium. A few months later, a fisherman in Maine caught a rare   cotton-candy colored lobster   not once, but twice. And just a month later, another fisherman in the area caught a   two-toned red and black lobster   -- a one-in-50-million find.

BB17f0Hr.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Akron Zoo/Facebook  An Akron Zoo staff member picks up the lobster from the Red Lobster restaurant.

BB17fff7.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Akron Zoo/Facebook  Clawde has a new home at Akron Zoo.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I wonder if it tastes different?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

Hey, that's not kosher! LOL!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    4 years ago

LOL.  You directed that comment to a person whose mother used to cook bacon on paper plates in the microwave oven. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Well, that was a gripping story. :)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago

Going to have to clamp down on posting them. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

Nope they don't taste different . the color is a genetic anomoly , the weirdest one I have heard of , was one that was half blue and half normal and the color distinction was perfectly down the centerline lengthwise .

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3    4 years ago
was one that was half blue and half normal and the color distinction was perfectly down the centerline lengthwise .

Saw a picture of that one, it was pretty unique

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I'm glad they saved his life.

Now I'm hungry

zuksam
Junior Silent
5  zuksam    4 years ago

When I was a kid I caught a 1/4 inch baby crayfish in a stream and it was brown just like normal and I kept it in our fish tank for years and it grew and shed it's shell many times but I guess because the tank water was so clean it lost all it's color it was white like cartilage. Everyone though it was some exotic species from a pet store but it was just a common crayfish.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @5    4 years ago

1/4 inch?  Did it put up much of a fight?

zuksam
Junior Silent
5.1.1  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    4 years ago

Not much ! When I was a kid I caught hundreds of larger crayfish but only a few small ones just because they're so hard to see that they scoot away and you can't find them again.