╌>

The Passing of Grump/ Nigel Dogberry

Category:  Other

By:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  30 comments

The Passing of Grump/ Nigel Dogberry
The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”~ Lewis Carroll

That was one of Grump's favorite quotes and it was the one he used when he let some of us know that his end was imminent. And so it is with great sadness, that I must inform the community, that Grump passed on June 29th. He left this earth in the same manner that he lived his life, on his terms. He was brave, not bitter, and seemingly embarrassed what many of us would not. He was a person who could make you laugh, or smack you upside the head when you needed it. He was honest and kind and a good all-around person. He loved his family and friends. 

Grump, you will be missed. Peace be with you as you walk on. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Peace be with you. You will be sorely missed. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

My heart is broken in a million pieces.  I knew it was coming, but I thought we had a little more time.  I'll love that old coot until the day I kick.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    4 years ago

I knew this would be very hard on you. So sorry for your loss. 

Professor Guide
1.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I always thought it odd that he chose the screen name Grump in NM, as I never really saw him as a grump at all.  On the contrary, he provided some of the most humorous discussions we had on Newsvine, and I wish he'd been more present here on Newstalkers after the Vine went dark.

You have been and will be missed, Nigel.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago

Yeah, he was pretty good natured. Contrary, but really likeable...

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.2  TTGA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago
I never really saw him as a grump at all.

I know about that one sandy.  Back when we were all on NV, Neale Osborn asked him if he lived in downtown Albuquerque.  He replied that he was an old grump who lived in a cave up in the Sandia Mountains behind the city and that his only connection to the outside world was just a really long phone line.  It kind of became a standing joke between them.  Both of those guys had a sense of humor that wouldn't quit.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TTGA @2.2    4 years ago

Thanks for telling me that story.  I think that must have been before I joined NV.  Yeah, they were both funny guys.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    4 years ago

I jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg Neale. He was one of a kind. Still miss him till today. 

Professor Guide
2.2.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    4 years ago
Thanks for telling me that story.. 

Here's a silly one for you.

Back when I was Bullwinkle (here on NT and complete with earrings, lipstick, etc), we were being silly one day, and I put I LOVE GRUMP on the front of my avatar's t-shirt.  I meant to change it back rather quickly, but it wasn't at the top of my to-do list.  I mentioned that I needed to change it back one day, and he said, "NO!  It's keeping my lady admirers at bay without me having to say anything."   I laughed, but it wasn't until later that I realized I had hurt his feelings...  I thought he was joking about his lady admirers, or at the very least, the number of them.  He wasn't.    

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.2    4 years ago

Neale was a good guy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2.3    4 years ago

I believe he had many female admirers. He was funny, kind, compassionate, and intelligent. All the things I like for in a man.

He was my favorite writing partner. Our Doctor Feel Good articles on Valentine's Day were some of my best work.

I will miss him so very much

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    4 years ago

RIP Dear man.

He was a great person. Was always kind to me. I always enjoyed his photos. I remember when he was building a studio like building in his backyard. Was ornate and beautiful.

Sad day. My condolences to his family.

lib50
Professor Silent
4  lib50    4 years ago

I remember him from nv, sorry to hear about his passing. Condolences to his family.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    4 years ago

One of the people here that I had a lot of respect for.  More like him are needed, one of the good people.    

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6  pat wilson    4 years ago

I never knew him but I always liked his screen name.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

What little contact I ever had with him was on the Science Fiction Fanatics group that he administered.  I know he was a good guy, and hope his walking on was to a better place. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    4 years ago

I met Grump when I joined the Anishinaabe Group not long after I joined NT. He was sweet, funny, charming and a rascal. I have always liked and respected him. We had a lot of good conversations and I learned a lot from him in many of life's areas.

May he find the peace he so truly deserves as he moves on to the next steps of his own eternal journey.

R.I.P dear Grump. You are truly missed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     4 years ago

I knew Grump (Gillis) for quite a while. We meet twice in person, once in Albuquerque and once in Kimberling City MO at a vine meet. Three days of fun, sadly of the 10 attendees five have now walked on. 

RIP Grump.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

I miss all of those we lost from the group that moved from NV to NT. Grump was always one of my favorites; he always made me laugh. 

Neale was one of my first friends on NV. Us Capricorns are good at getting along with each other. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif  

Tsula, giving me the nickname Ahyoka and his endless patience.

ETVA and the NOPS.

Oh so many people we've lost. It made me realize that I'm the "baby" of those that came over from NV seeing the birth years of those we know and yet, I'm feeling old lately.

My husband doesn't understand how people can form friendships or relationships online. He's never been a "computer guy." But we do develop friendships online; we talk and get to know each other, especially over years of communicating through social media like this. 

Anyway... thank you Perrie for this remembrance. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  JohnRussell    4 years ago

R.I.P. Grump , your friends here are your legacy to NV/NT. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Loved the man.  Spent time with him while stationed in Albuquerque.  He and I would meet at the Cracker Barrel at least once a month for brunch.  Audra, Grump, Ramon and I would occasionally eat at Tucano's, a Brazilian restaurant, and we would spend more time laughing and hugging than eating.  Audra idolized him and is taking this pretty hard - we are both concerned about how Ramon is doing.

Miss our conversations and laughter my friend - RIP with full honors Grump.

devangelical
Professor Principal
14  devangelical    4 years ago

RIP Grumpy

farewell old friend and brother in arms.

evilone
Professor Guide
15  evilone    4 years ago

Very sad news... 

charger 383
Professor Silent
17  charger 383    4 years ago

His little dog averter picture always brought a smile to me 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
18  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I always loved Grump.  His passing is why he never let me into his group (The Monkey Bowl).  RIP Sir.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
19  Freewill    4 years ago

Very sad news indeed.  My sincere condolences to his family and those who were close to him.  From what I remember of Nigel, he was a very good person and had a positive impact on all of us.  He will be greatly missed, but will live on in our memories.  RIP Grump.