╌>

Sean Hannity Has A Problem With John Oliver: Why So Serious?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  49 comments

By:   Greg Evans, DEADLINE

Sean Hannity Has A Problem With John Oliver:  Why So Serious?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Entertainment

Sean Hannity Has A Problem With John Oliver: Why So Serious?

Greg Evans

deadline_Light.png July 31, 2020, 2:00 PM

6c8f67bf0a6d92e7ee1839ab20274bb5

Sean Hannity   has responded to   John Oliver ’s charge that the Fox News host has been exaggerating the violence of Portland’s Black Lives Matter protests: Don’t be so serious.

“His big problem is he’s not funny,” Hannity says in a SiriusXM interview.

On Sunday’s   Last Week Tonight , Oliver riffed on the Trump Administration’s handling of the Portland protests following the police killing of George Floyd. Oliver said that Hannity overstated the protests’ violence and that Hannity’s “tone does not reflect conditions on the ground.”

He added, “If you, like Trump, think that it is fun to use federal troops as a prop to crush the constitutional right to assemble then like a great American, I’d like to offer you a basic cognitive test.” He then held up two middle fingers, “How many fingers am I holding up?”

Appearing on SiriusXM’s   Jim Norton & Sam Roberts   radio show, Hannity said he didn’t see Oliver’s show (“I saw the headline on Mediaite”), but that Oliver has a “big problem”: He isn’t funny.

“I don’t live my life too concerned about what John Oliver thinks,” Hannity said on the radio show. “His big problem is he’s not funny. If you’re funny, I don’t care what you say. Be funny about it…”

Hannity doubled down on his view that the Portland protests are full of police-bashing agitators, with accounts of “cops that have been blinded permanently” by lasers and other injuries in Portland’s “Summer of Love zone.”

“I don’t really expect John Oliver to know facts or truths, and I’m sure he’ll selectively pick out ‘well, these are the peaceful protestors,’ and ignore the rocks, the bottles, the bricks, the Molotov cocktails, the gunshots, the fireworks and everything else being hurled at officers around the country…”

Late night comedy shows, Hannity added at one point, “have gotten so bad since Corona.”

Watch the Hannity segment about Oliver on the   Jim Norton & Sam Roberts   radio show above.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Sean Hannity       has responded to      John Oliver   ’s charge that the Fox News host has been exaggerating the violence of Portland’s Black Lives Matter protests: Don’t be so serious.

On Sunday’s      Last Week Tonight   , Oliver riffed on the Trump Administration’s handling of the Portland protests following the police killing of George Floyd. Oliver said that Hannity overstated the protests’ violence and that Hannity’s “tone does not reflect conditions on the ground.”

He added, “If you, like Trump, think that it is fun to use federal troops as a prop to crush the constitutional right to assemble then like a great American, I’d like to offer you a basic cognitive test.” He then held up two middle fingers, “How many fingers am I holding up?”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

This isn't a laughing matter. . . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Obviously Hannity has a problem with John Oliver telling the truth on this matter, why else would he go whining on the radio show and spread the same lies?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3    4 years ago

Because he is emulating his idol Trump who does the exact same thing in interviews...whines and spreads lies.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

hannity does most of trump's thinking for him...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    4 years ago

A rotted potato does Hannity's thinking for him.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4  Dismayed Patriot    4 years ago

“His big problem is he’s not funny. If you’re funny, I don’t care what you say. Be funny about it…”

So he didn't refute the content, just claimed in his opinion that it wasn't funny, as any dumb shit like Hannity would claim who was trying to defend the butt of the joke, dishonest Donald.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1  Tacos!  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4    4 years ago
So he didn't refute the content

Actually he did. He referenced the:

rocks, the bottles, the bricks, the Molotov cocktails, the gunshots, the fireworks and everything else being hurled at officers around the country…”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4.1    4 years ago

Except that's not true tacos.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @4.1    4 years ago

And so that justifies unnamed federal officers pulling people into unmarked vans and taking off with them?

Never thought I would seriously say this, but that is some 1984 type shit.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    4 years ago

Which part? That people are attacking cops? Or that Hannity pointed it out? Because people are definitely attacking cops and many are being serioulsy injured.

Seattle police show injuries, damage suffered from ongoing riots

“In all 59 officers were injured throughout the day with one of those being hospitalized. Injuries ranged from abrasions and bruising to burns and a torn meniscus.”

And that was one event. One day.

Police: 49 cops injured in organized attack at Chicago protest

“What began as a peaceful protest at Grant Park Friday evening devolved into a very dangerous situation in which mob action deliberately sought to injure officers, provoke retaliation and damage property, Forty-nine Chicago police officers were injured. Forty-nine,” Brown said. “Eighteen of whom were sent to area hospitals for their injuries.”

In Portland, injured cops and damaged buildings play into Trump’s hands

One night last weekend, six local and federal officers who took refuge inside the city’s besieged federal courthouse had been injured, according to an  Associated Press reporter who was with them.

Nearly 400 NYPD Cops Hurt During NYC's Two Weeks of Protest Over George Floyd's Death

Several officers have been hospitalized for a range of injuries from being hit by a car to being hit in the head with a fire extinguisher during an arrest. One officer was hit over the head with a brick so forcefully it cracked the cop's riot helmet. In another case, an NYPD sergeant was hit on the head by a glass bottle someone threw near Fifth Avenue and 15th Street. That officer needed 10 stitches to close the gaping laceration on his head. Most of the hurt cops have been bloodied amid clashes with protesters but avoided more serious injuries. Given the fact that   Molotov cocktails were thrown at both empty and occupied police vehicles early in the protests , and that a number of NYPD SUVs were torched by other means, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said it was a matter of luck that no cops were hurt worse or died.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.2    4 years ago
And so that justifies unnamed federal officers pulling people into unmarked vans and taking off with them?

Um yeah. It does. Attacking a cop is a crime. Did you not know that? They arrest people for that.

The federal officers are unnamed for their protection. However, they do have other identification, like numbers on their uniforms. So, if you want to complain about Officer number 578, you can. But if you want to dox him so people can go to his house and terrorize his family, you're out of luck.

The vans are "unmarked" because that's simply what federal officers drive around in. They aren't black and white like local cops. But seriously, why do you care what their cars look like? What is the point of that complaint?

It's not as if people are being shipped to Guantanamo or anything. Nobody is missing. If they are arrested, they're usually just booked, arraigned, and released. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.4    4 years ago
Um yeah. It does. Attacking a cop is a crime. Did you not know that? They arrest people for that.

Anonymous federal agents and unmarked vehicles. Sure, you attack a cop and are arrested by a physically named officer and placed into a clearly identified vehicle. But just being pinned down by anonymous agents and put into an unmarked vehicle to be taken... somewhere? Fuck that. I will never support that under ANY circumstances. People always try to throw out the slippery slope argument, but once you get to this point you are already sledding down the hill. 

The federal officers are unnamed for their protection. However, they do have other identification, like numbers on their uniforms.

Did they? 

So, if you want to complain about Officer number 578, you can.

And there is the problem with unmarked agents. They have no number, you can't complain.

The vans are "unmarked" because that's simply what federal officers drive around in. They aren't black and white like local cops. But seriously, why do you care what their cars look like? What is the point of that complaint?

The issue is two-fold. They need to be marked if they are arresting people and transporting them, pure and simple. The second issue is a publicity issue. Like I said, what dip shit is doing is straight up 1984 shit, and that is a bad fucking look for 80% of the country. If you want to look legitimate to the people in your country, then you and law enforcement have to able to be held accountable. As soon as you start removing name tags or vehicle IDs you are killing the public trust and confidence in your institution and government.  

It's not as if people are being shipped to Guantanamo or anything. Nobody is missing.

It is the imagery.

And I am glad you said that... this is exactly how retarded conspiracy theories start... should I start spreading the rumor that Trump is rounding up peaceful protesters and shipping them off to Guantanamo Bay? That sounds incredibly stupid right? Kinda like how Hillary Clinton runs a child sex ring out of a pizza shop in "who the fuck knows where"?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.5    4 years ago
They need to be marked if they are arresting people and transporting them, pure and simple.

Local police drive around in unmarked cars every day. Cops operating undercover or as detectives wear suits or other civilian-style clothes without name badges. Every day. They make arrests like that every day. It hasn't been a problem until now.

Homeland security says on their website that the officers have no names to prevent doxing, but do have numbers for identification purposes. I think that's a sad development and wish they weren't doing it. It depersonalizes the relationship between police and civilians, creating distance, which is kind of the last thing we need. On the other hand, I get why they want to be cautious and protect their people.

I honestly think more is being made out of this than is warranted. If people were disappearing, it would be different, but no one is missing. They just got yanked off the street and sent home later.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.6    4 years ago
Local police drive around in unmarked cars every day.

And unless they are undercover they shouldn't be.

Cops operating undercover or as detectives wear suits or other civilian-style clothes without name badges. Every day. They make arrests like that every day. It hasn't been a problem until now.

Completely different scenarios. They make arrests based upon, often extensive, investigations, they don't just randomly start arresting people because they thought they saw something or they ran a stop sign. Undercover work is a totally different ball game from regular policing. 

Homeland security says on their website that the officers have no names to prevent doxing, but do have numbers for identification purposes. I think that's a sad development and wish they weren't doing it. It depersonalizes the relationship between police and civilians, creating distance, which is kind of the last thing we need. On the other hand, I get why they want to be cautious and protect their people.

I agree 100%. I don't have a solution other than "don't be dicks and dox people".

I honestly think more is being made out of this than is warranted. If people were disappearing, it would be different, but no one is missing. They just got yanked off the street and sent home later.

You may be right, but it is disturbing no matter your political stripe. They may grab me first, but how long until you say something and they snatch you up? This is how it always begins. They grab people up an hold them in the station for a night, then its a week, then its a month, then you never hear from them again and more and more people are being yanked off the street.

You know I typically call bullshit on this sort of thing, but this really does worry me. This is not some isolated incident where no one is sure what happened, this is a recurring thing. I don't know, I am genuinely worried about our system of governance. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.5    4 years ago

Anonymous federal agents and unmarked vehicles. Sure, you attack a cop and are arrested by a physically named officer and placed into a clearly identified vehicle. But just being pinned down by anonymous agents and put into an unmarked vehicle to be taken... somewhere? Fuck that. I will never support that under ANY circumstances. People always try to throw out the slippery slope argument, but once you get to this point you are already sledding down the hill. 

The federal officers are unnamed for their protection. However, they do have other identification, like numbers on their uniforms.

Did they? 

So, if you want to complain about Officer number 578, you can.

And there is the problem with unmarked agents. They have no number, you can't complain.

The issue is two-fold. They need to be marked if they are arresting people and transporting them, pure and simple. The second issue is a publicity issue. Like I said, what dip shit is doing is straight up 1984 shit, and that is a bad fucking look for 80% of the country. If you want to look legitimate to the people in your country, then you and law enforcement have to able to be held accountable. As soon as you start removing name tags or vehicle IDs you are killing the public trust and confidence in your institution and government.  

It's not as if people are being shipped to Guantanamo or anything. Nobody is missing.

It is the imagery.

And I am glad you said that... this is exactly how retarded conspiracy theories start... should I start spreading the rumor that Trump is rounding up peaceful protesters and shipping them off to Guantanamo Bay? That sounds incredibly stupid right? Kinda like how Hillary Clinton runs a child sex ring out of a pizza shop in "who the fuck knows where"?

Also, there were absolutely no markings/anything to show that they were officers of any kind.  They were practically indistinguishable from other white supremacists.  They were unidentifiable, no way to report them, no way whatsoever.
116267772_10223509500867918_1424268628884332837_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=jW0gAkO3QygAX9nJPzZ&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=66dedb597a4e4bfa28319faf034a45e1&oe=5F4B7467

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.6    4 years ago
"I honestly think more is being made out of this than is warranted. If people were disappearing, it would be different, but no one is missing. They just got yanked off the street and sent home later."

I DISAGREE, I DON'T THINK ENOUGH "HAS BEEN MADE OUT OF THIS"

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.8    4 years ago
Also, there were absolutely no markings/anything to show that they were officers of any kind.  They were practically indistinguishable from other white supremacists.  They were unidentifiable, no way to report them, no way whatsoever.

Then what makes you think it was federal agents? Maybe the people snatched off the street were taken by somebody else. How do you know you should even be looking at federal officers?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.11  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.10    4 years ago

We all know who they were, thugs/goons/mercenaries by whatever name the murderer for hire agency Erik Prince goes under now.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.11    4 years ago
We all know who they were

Good! Then you don't need any more identification.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.13  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.12    4 years ago

Who were not identified in any way, shape or form.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.14  MonsterMash  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    4 years ago
Except that's not true tacos. 

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fbloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com%2Ftrentonian.com%2Fcontent%2Ftncms%2Fassets%2Fv3%2Feditorial%2F3%2Fe4%2F3e4fbf9c-4f3a-11ea-a88b-6f7d16fe4de8%2F5e46b55585b81.image.jpg&sp=1596401017T163aacb29eab51f1758b558dcbcb06bbaeef332d8772488ec08847d2d29aef7f

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.13    4 years ago
Who were not identified in any way, shape or form.

OK so then you have no idea if they were federal agents.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.16  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1.14    4 years ago

We still don't know which part was supposed to be "not true."

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.17  MonsterMash  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.16    4 years ago

She's a hit and run gal, makes dumb ass statements than disappears

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Hannity is just mad that Oliver has won awards and is able burn him in ways that Hannity cannot respond to. Of course even if Hannity was able to answer back in a similar style it would be boring, whiny, and just not really worth watching because Hannity wouldn't know comedy if Trump gave him a lesson while pounding Hannity in the ass. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8  Ronin2    4 years ago

The lefts' definition of "peaceful" protester beyond sucks. They will excuse anything and everything so long as the person doing it is.

1) Harming Trump or a conservative in any way.

2) They are left enough on the political spectrum. 

Illegally obstruct traffic; take over 8 square blocks of Seattle (murder, rape, and armed robbery all permitted); riot for 51 consecutive days in Portland; injure 49 cops in Chicago; destroy private and public property; looting; assault; arson- it is all OK in the new leftist handbook.

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @8    4 years ago

I'm tired of your copy and paste job of a "left's definition of a peaceful protester"

Knock it off.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ronin2 @8    4 years ago
The lefts' definition of "peaceful" protester beyond sucks. They will excuse anything and everything so long as the person doing it is.

The vast majority of protesters ARE peaceful, period, full stop. Arrest and charge any that aren't. To anyone trying to just paint the "left" with the right wing infiltrators and Boogaloo boys or the handful of violent opportunists and looters, fuck you. You are being lied to and used by virulent sick and disgusting right wing fuck wads to believe something that simply is not true. Do not let yourselves be used by right wing extremists, you will only regret it in the long run as sick right wing extremists ideology is already so corrupted it's not worth saving, it's already marked for the trash heap of history.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  dennis smith @8.2.1    4 years ago
The dem mayors have not let the police arrest and charge any that aren't peaceful. They tell police to let rioters conduct violence. 

And you have evidence of this where? Pulling police back from a protest zone isn't the same as telling them to not arrest someone seen committing a crime.