╌>

Where has Perrie Been?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  27 comments

Where has Perrie Been?
Death is the sound of distant thunder at a picnic

Well, it wasn't exactly a picnic, but it was following a really nice day before the storm hit. There wasn't a lot of rain, but a ton of wind. Wind like I have never seen before. I heard 6 bangs in the not too distance and then nothing. And when I mean nothing I mean nothing. No power, no water (I have well water which needs a pump), no cable and no cell. Our tower was hit as were other towers. So 4 days later, I still have nothing and I have been living off the comfort of friends. You never realize how much we come to rely on technology until we don't have any. Anyway, if you have been wondering where I am, I am holding up with some friends at night, and going back home to try and clean up storm damage. Hopefully, I will be back by Saturday, but who knows? The date seems to be as changeable as the weather and life and death. There is an old Chinese curse that says, "May you live in interesting times"... I don't think we could be living in any times that were more interesting than 2020, and frankly, I am ready to be bored. Maybe 2021?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1  devangelical    4 years ago

yikes. you and yours stay safe.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
2  KatPen    4 years ago

So sorry all that happened to you.  Take care of yourself and stay safe.      HUGS to Perrie!    

Dulay
Professor Expert
3  Dulay    4 years ago

My Uncle and Aunt's NY home and their cars have extensive tree damage and my NJ cousin has water damage and no power or water. 

Glad ya'll made it through in one piece. 

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    4 years ago

We just got power back. Con-Ed is still on my shit list!

For two days they did nothing waiting on out of state Independent contractors (See unlicensed non-union gypsy tree cutters) to remove fallen trees and limbs in power lines. Thank goodness they are finally burying power lines so maybe these interminable outages due to storms will stop. That is why Manhattan was mostly unaffected and all the other boroughs suffered...

There were probably billion of dollars worth of food thrown away in my neighborhood today. Billions...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    4 years ago

SISTER!!!!!! My God! That storm has done so much damage everywhere is has gone. I am sooo very sorry that it hit your area, and soooo very glad that you and all are OK.

There are thousands, if not millions, all along the east coast that still have no power and thus far very little light at the end of the tunnel as to when it might be restored.

I can imagine things at home are a mess right now, and getting things put back together is a priority, but, please, please don't over do. 

As for when you will be back...yes, you are very much missed...but, we will see you when you are able to get things in order and have time to get back with us. There are plenty here who can and will hold the fort until that time, and no one wants to meet the Wendigo.jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Be safe and be good to yourself. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Be well!

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    4 years ago

Oh my! Be careful and I am grateful you made it through safely. Hope the whole family is well too!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I am glad you are safe.  You are the heart and soul of this place.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago
There is an old Chinese curse that says, "May you live in interesting times".

If that is a Chinese curse that has in fact caused the American people a lot of problems and discomfort, then I think it's obvious that it has been caused by what America's "leader" has been doing to and continues to do to China.  There is no doubt that he has brought the curse upon you. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    4 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Stay safe. Remember your'e a New Yorker. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  Kavika     4 years ago

Good to hear that you and yours are safe. 

As my sainted grandmother would say, ''ah shit, back to smoke signals''.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
13  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

Glad you're safe! That's a lot of wind! 

evilone
Professor Guide
14  evilone    4 years ago

Glad to hear every one is safe and hope you get it all back up and running soon.

evilone
Professor Guide
15  evilone    4 years ago

Glad to hear every one is safe and hope you get it all back up and running soon.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
16  Freefaller    4 years ago

Stay safe and thankfully you have good friends

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
17  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

Glad to hear all is starting to be on the mend. The mere mental fatigue must be exhausting.

charger 383
Professor Silent
18  charger 383    4 years ago

Hope you get things back in shape and glad you are OK

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
19  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Well, that's not good.  Glad to hear no one was hurt.  Hearing the thunder isn't as bad as seeing the lightning.  God be with you.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
19.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Nerm_L @19    4 years ago

As long as you can hear it and say "What was that?" - all is good.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
20  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Talking to you on the phone as the storm was hitting and all of a sudden, the line goes dead - knew it wasn't good.

Went through that for 13 years while stationed in Florida.  For us, we got used to it as it seemed to be part of the "normal" pattern.

You guys??  Sorry it happened but know that we wish you well and that you stay safe and sound.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
21  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Sorry to hear you have had such serious and seriously annoying travails.  Look at it like this, things can only get better. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
22  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

The important thing is that you are safe and not injured.

As Paula said, you are the heart and soul of this place, so be careful cleaning up the damage. I don't have to tell you how unstable damaged structures can be.

We'll leave the lights on for you here and hopefully you get your lights on back soon

Split Personality
Professor Guide
23  Split Personality    4 years ago

Aunt's house in South Jersey.

We all predicted it would need a new roof...

Then it was realized that there was hardly any damage at all...

until 2 of my cousins started cutting it down,

now it needs gutters, railings, roof work and deck work, lol

Hey, but they saved a fortune, smh...

Hang in there Perrie.