╌>

A Michigan official used the N-word when asked why he wasn't wearing a mask. Then he doubled down with more racial slurs. - CBS News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   Caitlin O'Kane (CBSNews)

A Michigan official used the N-word when asked why he wasn't wearing a mask. Then he doubled down with more racial slurs. - CBS News
In an interview, Tom Eckerle doubled down on his use of the N-word, repeating it over and over again.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Caitlin O'Kane

August 7, 2020 / 1:11 PM / CBS News

A county official in Michigan used a racial slur at a public meeting and later said in an interview that he did not regret it. Now several officials, including the state's governor, are calling for him to resign.

Leelanau County Road Commissioner Tom Eckerle was asked before a Road Commission meeting on Tuesday why he was not wearing a mask. According to local reports, Eckerle responded by saying: "Well this whole thing is because of them n***** down in Detroit."

Road Commission Chairman Bob Joyce quickly responded, telling Eckerle he couldn't say that, according to the Leelanau Enterprise, which first reported on the story.

Eckerle doubled down on his use of the racial slur when asked during an interview if he regretted it. "No, I don't regret calling it an n*****," he told Interlochen Public Radio on Thursday. "A n***** is a n***** is a n*****. That's not a person whatsoever." He said he will not resign from the road commission, the radio station reports.

Several officials in the state have called for Eckerle to resign, including Michigan Public Service Commission Chair Dan Scripps. Republican State Rep. Jack O'Malley also said that after learning about the incident he asked Eckerle to resign, but he refused.

"I called Mr. Eckerle to confirm he made these comments. He confirmed that he did," O'Malley said in a statement. O'Malley represents Michigan's House District 101, which includes Leelanau County.

In a Facebook post, O'Malley shared a link to his official statement, adding that Eckerle "is in the early part of an elected six year term. If he refuses to resign there are 2 options that I am aware of. The citizens can petition for a recall, or, the County Board can request that the Governor remove him."

"In today's emotional and highly charged climate to say what he said is ignorant and has no place, especially as an elected official," O'Malley's post continued. "I did remind him he represents everyone in Leelanau County as I do.... and his comments were and are beyond stupid. I hope Mr. Eckerle can come to see his mistakes and resign."

Governor Gretchen Whitmer also believes Eckerle must resign immediately. "His comments are atrocious," the governor's press secretary, Tiffany Brown, said in an email to CBS News on Friday. "The Governor has been very clear — there's no place for hate and racism in Michigan."

The Leelanau County Road Commission also put out a letter, asking for Eckerle to resign. The letter, signed commission's chair, vice chair and two members, said they do not condone the racist comments and they will not tolerate "any kind of racism in our meeting room or in our organization."

CBS News has reached out to the county road commission for comment, as well as contact information for Eckerle, and is awaiting response.

Eckerle's use of a racist slur during a public meeting came the same week Whitmer signed an executive directive declaring racism as a public health crisis in Michigan on Wednesday, according to CBS Detroit affiliate WWJ. Coronavirus has disproportionately affected Black communities in Michigan and elsewhere across the U.S.

"#COVID19 has highlighted what Black & Brown communities have always known — inequities caused by systemic racism can be deadly. We're confronting this head on," Whitmer tweeted on Wednesday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I thought racism had disappeared in Michigan. 

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
1.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

It (racism) has not disappeared anywhere. Trump has made it acceptable.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @1.1    4 years ago

If a county official uses the n word, imagine how many tens of thousands of regular white folks in Michigan do too?

Overheard on a podcast 

" Are you trying to say there are 63 million racists in America? ."  (said as a response to someone else saying some  Trump voters are racist)
-
" No, there are more than 63 million. That is a low ball figure." 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago
" No, there are more than 63 million. That is a low ball figure." 
Gee, I guess that would mean that many democrats and left wingers must be racists too...
but I disagree with this imaginary assertion, and would have see some credible evidence to take the commentary seriously.
Anyway, looked up his bio and don't see a political affiliation mentioned, but the most recent postings say he is resigning...
which he should.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    4 years ago

Counting adults and teenagers , there is upwards of 250 million in the US.  I have very little doubt that more than 25%  harbor some level of racism.  Half would be closer to it. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    4 years ago

I have known many people of various minorities over the decades and have always gotten along with them, and even dated a few of them.

I don't judge people by the color of their skin, but by the kind the person they are. That's the way I was brought up.

But other than that, I haven't counted any of them as close friends and associates

Does that rise to some "level of racism", is it due to the fact they most of us feel more comfortable with our own "kind" or tribe. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    4 years ago

IMHO, not feeling 'comfortable' with minorities because you don't view them as your 'own kind' or part of your 'tribe' is most definitely 'some level of racism'.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dulay @1.1.5    4 years ago

IMNAAHO, this level of racism is in our genes. It goes all the way back to the African plains, when "defending my tribe" was a survival traiit.

Because we are intelligent, we are capable of surmounting a tendency that we consider completely out-of-date.

... but sometimes I wonder if we're intelligent...

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Dulay  replied to    4 years ago

So you think that Trump voters will abandon him? 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

What I find interesting here is the way the guy doubles down. He's got some pretty heavy hitters telling him to resign.

Instead of apologizing, he laid down another layer of ugliness.

What on earth is going on in his head?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    4 years ago

What on earth is going on in his head?

Nothing.  Zero.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago

Wonder if he carries a sheet with him at all times.