╌>

9-year-old twins left mostly alone as parents took trip to Africa

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  39 comments

An uncle left his two 9-year-old twin nephews mostly alone in a New Hampshire apartment when the boys' parents took three siblings to Nigeria for four months.

Manchester police said 25-year-old Giobari Atura told the boys he would stop by every couple of days to drop off food, but when police got involved in November, the apartment contained no edible food in refrigerator and only ramen noodles in the cabinet.

Atura was charged with one count of endangering the welfare of a child in December. He was freed on $500 bail.

Atura's older brother, Jerusalem Monday, left for Nigeria with his wife and three of their children in July, intending to return in August. They told police they were delayed by illness and passport problems.

The door at their apartment was ajar Thursday, but no one answered a knock; a telephone listed in Jerusalem Monday's name was not receiving calls. A neighbor, Christaly Garcia, said she didn't recall seeing the boys but noted they wouldn't necessarily stand out because there are a lot of kids in the well-kept apartment complex in New Hampshire's largest city.

The case came to light in November when officials at the boys' school told the state Division of Children, Youth and Families that the twins had been living on their own for months. The kids were getting themselves up and on the bus, then eating breakfast and lunch at school.

The boys were taken into protective custody and then placed into foster care.

The parents returned home as soon as they learned the boys were being left alone, assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Michael Valentine said.

The parents will not be charged.

Atura said he would stop by the apartment on days that he went to work. However, that did not happen everyday, according to a police affidavit.

The uncle told the boys to call him if they needed anything, but the affidavit said there was no operable phone in the apartment.

In an interview with police, one of the boys said "he felt lonely while staying at their own house because his mom and dad were not there and nobody was with them," according to the affidavit.

When police finally reached the parents, they said they had instructed Atura to stay at the apartment, and if he couldn't, they gave him the name of a family friend to contact. The parents said they stayed in phone contact with Atura, who assured them everything was fine.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/23/year-old-twins-left-mostly-alone-as-parents-took-trip-to-africa/?intcmp=trending

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

What irresponsible parents....( poor excuse for parents)

Nona62
Professor Silent

Whatever happened to responsible adults?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

The parents said they stayed in phone contact with Atura, who assured them everything was fine.

I'm guessing they didn't have much interest in talking to their sons during all those months.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    9 years ago

I'm guessing they didn't have much interest in talking to their sons during all those months.

You're right (in this instance), four months is a long time to go without talking your you kids.

Why was there no operable phone in the house? It seems to me that would be an important priority. There could have been an emergency, and it would have provided the ability for the boys to at least be able to call their parents. Regardless of how far away they were, the ability to contact their parents would likely have given the boys assurance their parents were somewhat accessible.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
Was this a cultural difference? If the parents were not from here, they may have thought this was ok. Not every culture has the same ideals, and leaving their kids for so long may have seemed ok to them.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Those poor twins!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Sister....It sure sounds like it.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Heaven forbid there was an emergency, and no phone!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I don't think anything about that was mentioned.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I agree 100%, Sister. I can't go one day without talking to my son... I can probably do it ok, once he's off at college, but until then, it is necessary for my mental health. Without contact with him, or with my dogs and cats, I am one sad cookie.

I can't imagine not talking with your own children for 4 months! No matter what culture you're from! I need to talk to my dogs and cats once a day, too...

Nona62
Professor Silent

This entire scenario is inexcusable!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I can't imagine not talking with your own children for 4 months! No matter what culture you're from! I need to talk to my dogs and cats once a day, too... I totally agree!!

I talk to my dogs all day long!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

They are excellent conversationalists, and besides that, I love them and need them. Hourly. And my cats. All of them.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I understand..plus, they are great listeners!!

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
I agree that it us inexcusable. Those poor kids must have been frightened and very hungry.

Nona62
Professor Silent

And to think that there are people that actually believe that animals can't feel or give love...pfft

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I mean, I need my animals, but I really need my son, daily. I need to hear that he's ok. Maybe I'm a big sicko-- after all, he's 16, but he's not gone yet. I need to know he's ok, and HE needs to know I love him. Daily.

Animals are the backbone of my existance. Can't do without them...

Nona62
Professor Silent

I hope there is a follow up to this article.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The boys were taken into protective custody and then placed into foster care. That's a good thing!

Nona62
Professor Silent

You're not a sicko...you love your son, and you're a good, responsible parent.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Animals are loyal, and they love, unconditionally.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Nona62
Professor Silent

I hope there is a follow up also...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I hope there is a follow up to this article.

Inquisitr.com

" A New Hampshire man has been arrested for leaving his nine-year-old twin nephews home alone for four months, leaving them with only noodles to eat and without a working telephone, NBC news reports".

"The twins uncle, Giobari Atura of New Hampshire, told police officials that his brother and sister-in-law asked him to watch his nephews for a month while they took a trip to Nigeria. Atura also stated that in lieu of moving in with the children, he came to their apartment three days out of the week to check on them. "

But, the twins had a different story. They told police Atura hadnt been to the apartment in four months, and they ate breakfast and lunch at school, but at home, all they had to eat was ramen noodles.

( I had much trouble with the spacing on this comment, that's why there are two deleted comments. )

Nona62
Professor Silent

RW....Maybe it's just me, but I have never heard of a 4 month vacation...

Nona62
Professor Silent

It's so very sad....self -centered parents!

Nona62
Professor Silent

RW.. ..I felt so guilty leaving B&B for 11 days while on a cruise!! Leave children for 4 months??? I couldn't and wouldn't do it!!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

A couple of other things bug me.

How were the bills (rent, electricity, etc.) being paid? Allegedly, there was not a working phone, but I'm wondering if it was turned off due to lack of payment.

And surelythe parentswould haveleft the uncle with the funds necessary to purchase food and other necessities for the boys, and yet it was discovered by the police that the only edible food in the apartment were packs oframen noodles.

I'm also curious as to why the parents leftthese two particular children behind when they took three other children with them?

And this:

Atura's older brother, Jerusalem Monday, left for Nigeria with his wife and three of their children in July, intending to return in August. They told police they were delayed by illness and passport problems.

...seems fishy to me. I noticed that when faced with potential legal consequences, their passport and illness problems suddenly cleared up faster than a fart leaves a fan. It's a miracle!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Mine, too, RW. I can't imagine life without them!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Yup....something smells rotten in Denmark!! I hope the will be a follow up on this article.