╌>

'Maybe she did and maybe she didn't: Trump claims RBG's dying wish to her granddaughter that her SCOTUS seat be filled after the election was made up by Democrats

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  39 comments

By:   John Haltiwanger, Business Insider

'Maybe she did and maybe she didn't: Trump claims RBG's dying wish to her granddaughter that her SCOTUS seat be filled after the election was made up by Democrats

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

insider@insider.com (John Haltiwanger)

36d8ba90-bc20-11ea-9ffd-faac76771081 Mon, September 21, 2020, 5:46 PM EDT

President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign event in Fayetteville, North Carolina, on Saturday.

Tom Brenner/Reuters

• President Donald Trump on Monday suggested that congressional Democrats invented reports of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dying wish.

• Ginsburg reportedly told her granddaughter that her "fervent wish" was that her Supreme Court seat remain vacant "until a new president is installed."

• "I don't know that she said that, or was that written out by Adam Schiff and Schumer and Pelosi? I would be more inclined to the second," Trump told "Fox & Friends."

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .

President Donald Trump on Monday suggested that Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dying wish, reportedly dictated to her granddaughter, that her Supreme Court seat not be filled until a new president is elected "came out of the wind" and was made up by Democrats in Congress.

"I don't know that she said that, or was that written out by Adam Schiff and Schumer and Pelosi? I would be more inclined to the second," Trump said during a phone interview with "Fox & Friends."

"That came out of the wind, it sounds so beautiful. But that sounds like a Schumer deal or maybe a Pelosi or Shifty Schiff," he said, adding, "Maybe she did and maybe she didn't."

Ginsburg, a Supreme Court justice for 27 years, died on Friday at age 87. NPR reported that days before her death,   she dictated this statement   to her granddaughter Clara Spera: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

Trump doubled down on this baseless assertion later on Monday. 

"It sounds to me like it would be somebody else ... It was just too convenient," he told reporters at the White House.

Republicans announced mere hours after Ginsburg's death that they intended to hold a vote on Trump's Supreme Court nominee.

"The Senate and the nation mourn the sudden passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the conclusion of her extraordinary American life," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement on Friday night.

"President Trump's nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate," McConnell added, indicating that he did not believe the impending presidential election should have any sway over the process.

This marked a massive flip-flop for McConnell, who in 2016 refused to hold a confirmation hearing for Merrick Garland, President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee, on the basis that the nomination came too close to the election. Top Republican senators fell in line with McConnell's position at the time.

Garland was nominated on March 16, 2016, or 237 days before the 2016 election. Ginsburg died 46 days before the 2020 election, and Republicans are now moving to push through a Trump nominee as quickly as possible.

With a Republican president in the White House, the GOP appears suddenly comfortable moving forward with the Supreme Court confirmation process despite an election on the horizon. Republican senators are now facing allegations from Democratic colleagues that   their word essentially means nothing .

"I want you to use my words against me: If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination," GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina   said in 2016 .

Fast-forward to 2020, and   Graham wrote on Twitter   that he would support Trump "in any effort to move forward" with filling Ginsburg's seat.

Graham justified his stance by saying that "the two biggest changes regarding the Senate and judicial confirmations that have occurred in the last decade have come from Democrats." He cited Sen. Harry Reid's 2013 decision to invoke the "nuclear option" — eliminating filibusters on   executive appointments and most judicial nominations , excluding the Supreme Court — while accusing Democrats of conspiring to "destroy the life of Brett Kavanaugh and hold that Supreme Court seat open."

McConnell also invoked the option in 2017, doing away with filibusters on Supreme Court nominees. But Graham made no mention of this.

Trump   is expected to announce a nominee   later this week.

Read the original article on   Business Insider

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

"Maybe she did, maybe she didn't"

We have a petulant non-stop lying toddler for a 'president'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Yes of course, Mrs. Ginsburg's granddaughter is a liar.  

FFS.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Trump is scum.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    4 years ago

I'm not going to call the granddaughter a lier.  If she says that Justice Ginsburg said that then I believe it.

But it really doesn't matter because it's not Ginsburg's call to make.  And I would just point out that in 2016 when the Senate refused (wrongly IMO, but I'm not in the Senate) to take up a vote on Garland she said the following:

"There's nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being the president in his last year," Ginsburg said in a 2016 New York Times interview in which she called for Garland to receive a confirmation vote in the Senate. As for whether the Senate should take up a vote on Garland, Ginsburg said at the time, "That's their job."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4    4 years ago
Anything to defend the hypocrisy of the trumpturd and Mitch Putin's little Bitch.   Yawn, so goddamned tiresome.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    4 years ago

Rather than just call me a hypocrite, why don't you try to convince me that maybe Justice Ginsburg's last wish should be respected?

Or do you ignore that while ignoring the hypocrisy of Joe Biden with regards to filling a SCOTUS vacant seat?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    4 years ago

I think her last wish should be respected, for the very reasons that Mitch McConnell put forward with respect to Garland.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    4 years ago
for the very reasons that Mitch McConnell put forward with respect to Garland.

obama made his nomination but obama did not have the senate's support. 

trump does not have that problem.

hint:  the constitution does not force the senate to vote on someone they know they do not and will not support just because they were nominated.

with the last 4 yrs of bs from the left? russia, russia, russia, impeach, impeach, impeach, I reckon it is safe to say all previous "deals are off. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.3    4 years ago

The senate during President Obama's presidency DIDN'T SUPPORT ANYTHING THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA PROPOSED.  

hint:  WHACK!

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    4 years ago
DIDN'T SUPPORT ANYTHING THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA PROPOSED.

obama made his nomination

the constitution does not require the Senate to support that nomination or even give it the time of day - period.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.3    4 years ago

Hey, it's YOUR life to live there.  Good luck with it. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.5    4 years ago

WHACK!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    4 years ago
I think her last wish should be respected

You can respect it all you like, but it has zero bearing on who the next justice will be. She doesn't have any more authority to determine how the next justice will be chosen than I do. The president nominates. The Senate confirms or denies. Any other suggestion is offensive to our Constitution.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

tenor.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago

maybe she did, maybe she didn't = so what.

The Supreme Court is NOT the "Make-A-Wish Foundation™

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7    4 years ago

You keep saying that stupid shit like it means something.  It's whack, like everything else you say.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    4 years ago
like it means something

it means more than any death bed wish.

have a great night... I hear tomorrow might be a rough day for the left (biden)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.1    4 years ago

What was that you were saying about the 'left' and mental issues?

120085394_2415756028719416_279264119343724894_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=9Rm_YUHB6mMAX9GgoMy&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&tp=6&oh=ec8ae249935019a0a8e08ef9467eab80&oe=5F90B779

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.1    4 years ago
"it means more than any death bed wish"

It doesn't mean shit.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.3    4 years ago
It doesn't mean shit. 

just like her last wish and this article.

but yet we persist :)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.4    4 years ago

WHACK!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    4 years ago

What the fuck is wrong with people who look at a story where Trump calls the dead woman's granddaughter a liar , for no good reason, and then decide that the story isnt about Trump's pathological behavior, but rather it is about the Supreme Court nomination. 

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @8    4 years ago

jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.2  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @8    4 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @8.2    4 years ago

Unless you want to talk about Trump lying about Ginsburg's granddaughter, dont bother commenting to me, I'm not going to read it. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.2.2  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.1    4 years ago

For the record he didn’t say she was lying, he brought up the very real possibility that it is a lie. I wasn’t there so i don’t know. You weren’t there, you don’t know either.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  1stwarrior @8.2    4 years ago

So as much talk as there is of McConnell or other Republicans being hypocrites, apparently, RBG was, too. According to her granddaughter, anyway.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Gazoo @8.2.2    4 years ago

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @8    4 years ago
the dead woman's granddaughter a liar

recent history suggests if one wants the truth?

whatever the left says...  go with the exact opposite and one will be correct more often than not.

russia?   no. just more bs

kavanagh hearings? no, just more bs

impeach? no, just more bs

the left has been spreading pure bs for almost 5 yrs now...

there is no reason to trust the left anymore on any subject. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8.3.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  dennis smith @8.3.1    4 years ago
She is a true non patriot.

she is a lunatic

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @8.3    4 years ago

Projection, deflection, denial, all that trumpturd supporters have.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    4 years ago

We know that you don't know what Justice Ginsburg relayed to he grand daughter, Trump------------------But we do know what Clifford and McDougal relayed to you, Trump.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

For  her reputation’s sake, I hope,she didn’t say it. I doubt she would have If she was of sound mind. 

while she’s always been too much of a politician for a supposedly impartial judge, this naked partisan plea Is way over the line.  She’s  reinforced the narrative that judges are  motivated by politics, not the law and diminished the integrity of the court.   Roberts would never embarrass the court in similar fashion, that’s for sure. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @10    4 years ago

Do you have anything to say about Trump lying about the granddaughter or is that just another Tuesday like every other one? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1    4 years ago

Again, I hope she either didn’t say or it or her granddaughter put the words in her drug addled brain.  No Supreme Court justice of sound mind who respects the court should say something like that.

its better for Ginsburg if trumps right.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
11  Gsquared    4 years ago

We know for a fact it is very easy to detect when Trump lying.  It's any time he speaks.  

Does anyone know of a single instance that Trump has told the truth?  No.

Can anyone cite anything Trump has ever said that isn't a complete and total lie?  No.

Do the American people know Trump lies about everything?  Yes

Do the American people trust Trump about anything?  Hell no!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12  Gsquared    4 years ago

"He is going to lie as much as he is going to breathe."

James Carville accurately describing Donald J. Trump, 9/22/2020

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
13  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

I have no trouble believing that RBG had that desire , she made no bones about the subject during the entire trump presidency, and she was determined to hold on as long as she could  in the hopes trump could be defeated in the election.