╌>

Handwashing, distancing and mask-wearing all drastically cut risk of catching COVID-19: research

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  4 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Ryan Flanagan CTV (Canada TV News)

Handwashing, distancing and mask-wearing all drastically cut risk of catching COVID-19: research
"Our findings support consistent wearing of masks, handwashing and social distancing in public to protect against COVID-19 infection," the researchers said in a statement.

BUZZ NOTE:  There is a news video with this article that is relevant to local virus situations in Canada which is not necessarily relevant to the article, but it can be accessed by clicking the "SEEDED ARTICLE" link below this message, which will take you to the original article source.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Washing hands, wearing masks and practicing physical distancing substantially decrease an individual's risk of contracting COVID-19, according to new research. (Burst / Pexels)

TORONTO --  Wash your hands Practise physical distancing  whenever you can.  Wear a mask  the rest of the time.

These have been the three main tenets of public health advice aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus for months now, dating back to when Canada was still facing its first wave of infections.

With  the second wave upon us , and Canada's number of active COVID-19 cases doubling in less than a month, they've once again been trotted out as the best advice there is for day-to-day safety.

New research suggests there's good reason for that.

Researchers in Thailand looked at records related to 211 cases of COVID-19 in that country, including clusters that developed around stadiums, nightclubs and a government office.

All of the cases studied were asymptomatic, meaning those around them had no reason to be taking any precautions beyond what they were normally doing when out and about.

Through contact tracing, the researchers were able to identify 839 other individuals who had close contact with the infected patients but never tested positive for the disease themselves.

All 1,050 individuals were asked about which personal hygiene measures they were practising at the time they were exposed to the asymptomatic carriers.

From their answers, the researchers were able to determine that maintaining a distance of at least one metre from a COVID-19 carrier reduced one's risk of acquiring the disease by 85 per cent.

Wearing masks during all contact with the carrier reduced the infection risk by 77 per cent. There was no proof, however, that wearing masks for only some of the contact made any difference at all.

The researchers also found that the infection risk was reduced by 76 per cent when close contact with a COVID-19 carrier was limited to 15 minutes or less, and by 66 per cent when frequent handwashing was practised.

"Our findings support consistent wearing of masks, handwashing and social distancing in public to protect against COVID-19 infection," the researchers said in a statement.

Their work was presented this week at a conference organized by the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Unfortunately, there are three reasons for the numbers to be astronomical in the USA.  The first being the negligent mismanagement by Trump, admitted in his own words, the second being the "patchwork" of compliance/non-compliance to necessary guidelines by the various States, and the third being the selfish refusal of individual Americans to adjust to the circumstances the credo of individual rights and freedoms. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

I go into the tiny town that is closest and nobody but me wears a mask. All Trump supporters.

Cases of covid-19 are seriously increasing in all widespread tiny towns around here. 

These rednecks are still sure that anthropogenic global warming is a Chinese hoax.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @1.1    4 years ago

It's unfortunate, then, that you have to go there, because as you know wearing a mask is more effective for preventing persons wearing them from spreading the virus than they are for preventing persons wearing them from catching it. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    4 years ago

Layers, yeah, layers. Let them stare - it may give them something else besides curiosity: strength to put one on!  Yeah cjCold keep up the good example! Play and be safe out there.

"Winter is coming!"

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    4 years ago

As good as it gets. Perfect, considering. I might add, since the second wave is approaching, splurging on wearing and layering two masks can give safety and added sense of safety when going out in public.

Good show, Buzz!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  CB @2    4 years ago

Found some South Korean KN95s which are rated much higher than the Chinese KN95s. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  cjcold @2.1    4 years ago

Oh? Now that is interesting. I saw the South Korean Kn95s and opted not to check it out. Should I? Because I can, you know. I love being safe.

NOTE: I have been planning to make my own n-95s using proper filtering materials and a video. However, as of today, I still have not figured out the sewing machine part - I don't own one. Also, been doing so well (so far) with the layering Kn95's et ceteras, that I have kind of taking a wait and see attitude toward making my own n-95s'.

Moreover, there are 'beacoup' legit styles of mask pervasive in California now! Wow!

(I still want to do 'em though. Get that sense of having completed a difficult (medical) task.)

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    4 years ago

The compliance/non-compliance is Trump's fall too. Just look at the mixed "bouquet" of masked-unmaked people at his so-called "super-spreader, rallies." And if and when anyone of those individuals get sick they will call out for help from "above," and from science, because Donald had each one of them sign a waiver to not bother him about their "reactions to a hoax"!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @3    4 years ago

He set a "great" example by refusing to wear a mask until it was too late anyway, and suggested ingesting disinfectants or bleach to cure or prevent the virus.  

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    4 years ago

Trump is ridiculous. Thankfully we have some good governors who protect the young, teens, adults,middle aged, and seniors. These governors are helping to make it happen. Many churches are spared a true test of their God, by believing in the good, solid use of months of online technology. Plus, the simple science of masks, washing hands, and keeping a respectable distance (6 ft or more).

And millions of us 'mericans are listening too! It is a beautiful sight to see cities and stores filled with people adhering to masks of all types! People are even 'down' and savvy with getting away from the weak and unsound list of facial coverings.

We doing great following the rules and doing so consistently. Though, Washington has been all over the spectrum with its images and noise and fury!

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.2  lib50  replied to  CB @3.1.1    4 years ago

In my area of Washington everybody wears masks, it feels normal and respectful. I don't like them, but feels safer when we all do. And we've been pretty good keeping cases down, spikes now and then but we feel good here.  And we distance, almost becoming a reflex. It ticks me off when other people and places pretend its all nothing and then cases go up and we all suffer even if we've been good all this time. Losing over 200,000 Americans because of the lies and lack of leadership from the top, and still counting.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  CB  replied to  lib50 @3.1.2    4 years ago

It does feel good. To see a society really listening to sound medical advice is a 'feast' for the eyes and a comfort for the mind! I feel genuinely sad and at a loss for words when I see people argue foolishly and recklessly against sound advice and reasoning. The virus is just dumb enough for us to be able to best it—if we are smart, that is!

What ticks me off? Well, it is after all I do, that I could catch a rather unsophisticated and mindless virus from another human being who behaves dumber than the virus itself, who sheds virus particles in my protected space or path! But, hey! That's life on the grand scale, right? We all take our chances dealing with the weak links scattered through the chain.