╌>

Why Halloween is better than Christmas

Category:  Entertainment

By:  gordy327  •  4 years ago  •  126 comments

Why Halloween is better than Christmas
“I’ve seen enough horror movies to know that any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly.” Elizabeth, Friday the 13th

As we continue into fall, we will soon be upon the holiday season. The holiday season typically starts with Halloween, includes Thanksgiving and Christmas, and ends with New Years. It's a time for partying, feasting, indulging, and otherwise just having fun. And which of those holidays allows you to do all that and more above all others? Why, Halloween of course! Let's face it, all there is to do on Thanksgiving is gorge yourself on a turkey dinner and watch football (actually, that isn't all that bad). New Years is the worst, as the only interesting part of it is the last 10 seconds, waiting for a giant ball to drop. Big deal. Christmas is a fun holiday to be sure. It's probably the second-best holiday of the year. But it does not hold a jack-o-lantern candle to Halloween. Here are 9 reasons why Halloween is better than Christmas:

1. It has better movies: Christmas movies are a dime-a-dozen. They also mostly follow the same formula: someone is miserable or has a problem, and only by discovering the Xmas spirit can they overcome it and have a happy ending. It's so saccharine. Many movies even have the same plot or premise, only with a different cast or setting, but otherwise plays out the same (Looking at you Hallmark Channel). Once in a great while, there will be an Xmas movie that just knocks it out of the park, such as: Scrooged, Elf, and the Grinch who stole Christmas. But such movies seem far and few in between. 

Halloween, on the other hand, has a much broader range of scary movies to choose, from child friendly fare to edgy psychological thrillers, to "based on real events” themes, to straight up slasher flicks and gore-fests. And many of these scary movies are awesome and have become classics in their own rights, such as: Poltergeist, Hocus Pocus, and The Exorcist, to name a few. Some horror movies have even spawned entire franchises. So one can marathon watch scary movies during Halloween like the Friday the 13th series, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, and the list goes on. Xmas movies are largely lacking any franchises. And scary movies are just as enjoyable to watch anytime during the year. Christmas movies in summer do not seem to have the same meaning or impact as its horror movie counterpart. Christmas movies generally lack the shock, thrills, or scares that Halloween movies have.

2. Better seasonal weather: Christmas takes place on Dec. 25, in winter and around the longest night of the year, when it's dark very early, not to mention cold. Sure, snow will make for a "white Christmas." But then there is the snow shoveling that goes along with it and driving in snow and ice can be a nightmare. On top of that, some people have the "winter blues," when depression builds. Nothing kills a festive mood better than depression. Halloween is in the middle of the fall season, when it is not too hot, but not too cold. It is in that sweet spot and the trees still have beautiful fall foliage with its vibrant colors. While one needs to bundle up in layers to venture into Christmas weather, a light jacket will probably be all you need for Halloween, if at all.

3. Better costumes: One of the hallmarks of Halloween is dressing up in costumes, especially for children. People can dress up as classic movie monsters, as psycho slashers, as zombies, superheroes, or as anything one wants or can imagine. There is no end to the possibilities. It's like a spooky cosplay. Both children and adults can get into it and is generally lots of fun. Certain venues might even have costume contests to see who has the best costume (sexy nurse costume anyone?). Christmas however is far more limited in costuming. You basically have the choice between dressing up as Santa, an elf, an angel, and maybe a snowman. Sure there might be a few other Christmas characters one can dress up as. But there isn't the sheer variety of costumes or customization for Christmas as there is for Halloween. And no, wearing a tacky reindeer or Christmas tree sweater vest is not a costume. 

4. Trick-or-treating and community activities: Another hallmark of Halloween is trick or treating for the kids. Who doesn't remember the joy of receiving an endless supply of candy in 1 night. Or competing with friends or siblings over who got the most candy and even trading candy pieces like currency. But it goes beyond that. Halloween is a community activity. Kids peruse the neighborhood on  a candy treasure hunt. Adults can gather at Halloween and/or costume parties and boogie the night away. Some establishments host Halloween parties and anyone can participate. And lets not forget the fun of spooking and/or pranking each other. Christmas is more for spending time with family or close friends. Outside of the "office Christmas party" or similar events, it doesn't lend itself to communal gatherings the way Halloween does.

5. Better candy and treats: If you have a sweet tooth, 'nuff said. Halloween foods can be quite decorative and creative. Any food can be transformed into a spooky, yet delicious treat or even a meal. Ever try a "maggot infested brain" shrimp cocktail?  How about a "cat litter cake?" "Witch finger" cookies? Halloween themed foods and treats are as endless as Halloween costume choices. All it takes is a little imagination and creativity. And of course, you can never go wrong with regular old Halloween candy like Hershey's, Twizzlers, ect., which are available year-round too. Christmas has its share of sweet treats too. Cookies, cakes, and such are always good. But while they can be decorated with a Christmas theme (i.e. frosting trees on cookies), you must admit they generally lack the flair and imaginativeness that Halloween themed goodies have.

6. Less stress: Christmas is probably the most stressful time of year. Anyone who has hosted a family get together or shopped for gifts (especially at the last minute) knows what I am talking about. Having family and friends over for Christmas is nice. But it is also a big hassle. Everything must be “perfect,” from preparing a Christmas dinner (or bringing something to dinner). Then there are the crowds one encounters when shopping, fighting your way through a packed store to find the “perfect” gift. Then one must actually wrap the gifts. Or how about the lines at the Post Office if you must mail gifts out? Then there’s the egregious credit card bills or money spent from all the shopping, especially if items have been marked up. To be fair though, online shopping has made the shopping aspect of Christmas much easier and less stressful in recent years. But it probably still doesn’t help your wallet. As a side note, Christmas is heavily commercialized too.

Halloween, on the other hand, does not have any of that hassle Christmas does. All one must do is buy a big bag of candy for trick-or-treaters or for yourself if you prefer and you’re set. No obligation or expectation of gifts to buy or send. The lack of gifts, no obligation to spend time with anyone, and overall less expenditure makes Halloween a much more relaxed and stress free time. Probably the most stressful part of Halloween is deciding which scary movie to watch (Freddy or Jason? Wait, why not Freddy vs. Jason-the best of both worlds). Do not forget the big bowl of buttered or caramel popcorn when you have decided on a movie.

7. Voluntary participation: If one comes from a family that celebrates Christmas, especially a religious family, then participation in Christmas traditions seems mandatory. Granted, one can choose to not participate in Christmas shenanigans. But that would probably be frowned upon by other family members, not to mention possibly incurring a guilt trip. Who needs to deal with that nonsense? Halloween is a strictly voluntary affair. Participation is usually welcomed (especially in parties), but not required or expected. Also, no matter what one’s religion, race, class, age, ect., anyone can participate in Halloween festivities. Or not if they prefer. Christmas seems to have a more, for lack of a better term, exclusive feel to it.

8. Less annoying songs: The archive of Christmas music is quite vast, and just as annoying. Radio stations typically start playing holiday music around Thanksgiving and do not relent until after New Year. Certain radio stations play Christmas music exclusively during the holiday season. Some stores even play holiday music during business hours. You cannot escape it. It is not that Christmas music is bad. But one can only hear the same songs or versions of the same songs done by various music artists over & over again for more than a month before one is about to go insane and stab their eardrums out with a Q-tip. Ok, I exaggerate a little. But if you have ever listened to the same song over & over again, you tend to get bored or annoyed with the song. Christmas practically forces you to listen. Talk about musical torture. Halloween songs are far fewer and play less often. Halloween music might start playing a few days leading up to Halloween itself. But then it stops once Halloween is concluded. I’m not sure, but I think there are only 3 Halloween songs: Thriller, Ghostbusters, and Monster Mash. Maybe there are more, but we generally do not hear or remember it. And that is a good thing. In this instance, unlike gifts or candy, less is more! This reason alone is enough to make Halloween better than Christmas.

9. Better decorations (maybe): Ok, this one is close. Out of all the reasons why Halloween is better than Christmas, I’d say this one is a near tie. One cannot discuss either holiday without bringing up their respective decorations. Both holidays have a plethora of decorations at their disposal. They can be dazzling, brilliant, creative, and even awe-inspiring. What better way to show off one’s creativity and/or “feel” the holiday than with impressive decoration displays? And some people do go all out when they set up their decorations. Such displays can be quite spectacular. But where Christmas decorations tend to be more “straight laced” in terms of display, Halloween celebrates a more warped or weird sense of humor and can be an excellent outlet for those with such qualities (that plays in the food part too). Halloween decorations and displays can be as comical as they are creative or spooky. That is where Halloween edges out over Christmas in this regard. Sure, Christmas decorations have Santa, snowmen, reindeer, elves, candy canes, ect.. But that is about it. Nice, but not too thrilling or exciting. Halloween offers a broader range of themes, settings, and characters, from graveyards to haunted houses. The spook factor can really add some levity and excitement.

So those are the reasons why Halloween is better than Christmas. Are there other reasons I missed? What do you think? If you think Christmas is better than Halloween, feel free to present an argument why. Just be aware that you will be wrong by default. Just saying. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  author  Gordy327    4 years ago

Halloween is hands down better than Christmas. Another comparison: eggnog vs. pumpkin beer. Come on, there's no contest there! And remember, Halloween is not too far away from Oktoberfest. The fact they share the same month is another factor in Halloween's superiority. jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @1    4 years ago

Halloween is a tool and celebration of Satan and evil.  There is nothing good in the “celebration” of that day.  Easter is the best holy Day followed by Christmas.  The best secular holiday is Independence Day celebrating July 4th, 1776.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago
Halloween is a tool and celebration of Satan and evil.  There is nothing good in the “celebration” of that day.  

What a profoundly ignorant statement!

Easter is the best holy Day followed by Christmas.

Sure, because colored eggs are sooo exciting. >sarc<

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago
Halloween is a tool and celebration of Satan and evil. 

Buy a vowel.   What an absurd ill-informed declaration.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    4 years ago
What an absurd ill-informed declaration.  

Understatement. But also not surprising. Must be real fun at parties too  >sarc<

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

Seems like a hell of a life to live in fear of Satan, goblins, ghosts, witches, gremlins, demons, werewolfs, etc.   Dracula is an imagined character as is Satan.   Neither has any supporting evidence that these actually exist (or existed) other than words in books.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

With that mindset, Halloween is a construct of Christianity and it's many sects. 

But looking at it from a historic angle its an ancient Celtic festival called Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. It marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of winter.  Because of the high death rate associated with the cold in (what's now called Ireland) it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.5    4 years ago

And, as with so many pagan holidays, Christianity co-opted it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.7  author  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.4    4 years ago
Seems like a hell of a life to live in fear of Satan, goblins, ghosts, witches, gremlins, demons, werewolfs, etc.  

Doesn't sound like much of a life to me. Certainly not a fun one.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.8  author  Gordy327  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.5    4 years ago
With that mindset, Halloween is a construct of Christianity and it's many sects.

Well, Satan and such things are certainly religious constructs.

But looking at it from a historic angle

Historic and factual. It's amazing that all it takes to dispel ignorance is a little factual information. Of course, when one is being willfully ignorant, facts do not seem to matter. Only one's own biases and narratives.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.9  Account Deleted  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

I don't know how to break it to you but both Halloween and Christmas, as celebrated, were Druid customs retread by the early Christian missionaries. The church changed the date of All Saints Day from May to November 1st, selected December 25th to coincide with various winter pagan  customs and celebrations including those of the Druids.  It was just easier to convert people if you let them keep customs they were familiar with.

(Oh - celebrating Christmas had it's risks - the Puritans would throw you into jail.)

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

WRONG once again.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.11  author  Gordy327  replied to  lady in black @1.1.10    4 years ago
WRONG once again.

ANd as usual too.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.12  author  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

Well then, at least "Satan and evil" know how to party and throw a celebration, filled with costumes, candy, treats, pumpkin spice beer, ect.. Not seeing a downside here. Especially if costumes involve naughty nurses, sexy witches, or French maids. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

There is nothing good in the “celebration” of that day.

Except all the fun, parties, treats, ect.. But I suppose some people don't like to have fun. Such a pity.

Easter is the best holy Day followed by Christmas.  The best secular holiday is Independence Day celebrating July 4th, 1776.  

In case you missed the point of the article, we're talking about Halloween vs Christmas. Not surprising you make empty, opinionated declarations, but off nothing to back your assertions up.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1    4 years ago
eggnog vs. pumpkin beer

I like both.  Every year, a colleague from work brings by his homemade eggnog, heavy on the bourbon.  The first time he brought it, he gave me three pieces of advice before handing it over.

1. Shake well before drinking.

2. Don't drink near any open flames.

3. Don't go making any big life decisions after drinking.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2    4 years ago
homemade eggnog, heavy on the bourbon.

Now that's my kind of eggnog. Just hold the eggnog, Lol

he gave me three pieces of advice before handing it over.

That sounds like good advice. Talk about a happy, holiday season. Ho ho ho indeed, jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.1    4 years ago

I'm not a fan of bourbon, really, but I do drink the eggnog he brings.  Never near a fire.  If I'm going to drink spiked eggnog, I'd rather have rum or Kahlua.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    4 years ago
I'm not a fan of bourbon,

Make mine Jim Bean. Or any bourbon really. on the rocks. Scotch works too.

Never near a fire. 

Who needs a fire when the bourbon will warm you up nicely?

If I'm going to drink spiked eggnog, I'd rather have rum or Kahlua.

I'd go with rum. Still prefer bourbon myself though.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    4 years ago

I made eggnog in 7th grade Home Ec and I were allow to put rum in it, I bet I would have liked it better (and Home Ec, too)

I haven't had since, but Kahlua sounds like a great addition. One question....are the eggs cooked at all? I don't like the idea of drinking raw eggs

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.4    4 years ago

I buy my eggnog in a carton.  I'm not sure about the stuff he brought me.  I doubt they were cooked, as I imagine the eggs would have solidified a bit.  I think the bourbon was enough to substitute for heat :D

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.5    4 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Well, alcohol will kill bacteria!

There was something we had to do with the egg nog in Home Ec but can't remember. I know we didn't put alcohol in it. Schools kinda frown on 12 year old girls drinking bourbon during a 9:00 class.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    4 years ago

Halloween is our favorite holiday.    Every year we dress up our home inside and out and turn it into a spooky/fun environment.   We then host a party (usually about 60 people) where we all dress up and have contests for the best costume.   People really get into this.   My wife also produces appetizers and her famous dessert table full of cool and clever hand made desserts and candies.

It takes us 2 weeks to decorate and several days to tear down and store.   But it is well worth it.

This year, however, for the first time in 15 years, we will not be having our party for obvious reasons.

wilted-pumpkin-fb.jpg

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

Halloween is all about fun. And there's no holiday more fun than Halloween. But apparently for some, fun is an anathema to them. Especially when religion is involved.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    4 years ago

Yeah, I know, what a screwed up way to go through life; afraid and clinging.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    4 years ago
Yeah, I know, what a screwed up way to go through life; afraid and clinging.

Not to mention ignorant and uninformed. It's like someone walking around with a perpetual stick up their @ss. Quite sad really.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.2    4 years ago
Quite sad really.

I think of people who demonize the brilliant Harry Potter series and then those like the extremists of Westboro Baptist church and 'sad' does not come to my mind.   These people are pathetic.   They are willfully and stubbornly ignorant and provide no value;  net obnoxious.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    4 years ago
I think of people who demonize the brilliant Harry Potter

Which boggles the mind. I mean, some people actually thin Harry Potter promotes witchcraft and such things. How delusional can some people get?

those like the extremists of Westboro Baptist church and 'sad' does not come to my mind.   These people are pathetic. 

I'd also add just plain crazy.

They are willfully and stubbornly ignorant and provide no value

Notice how that seems to go hand in hand with religious indoctrination?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.1.5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    4 years ago

I love Harry Potter! 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1.5    4 years ago

We do too.   I still consider it the best series ever.   Game of Thrones would have beat it if they had not blown the last season.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

My daughter and SIL go all out on the decorating for Halloween and also throw a party. I'm wearing my nun's outfit again, but I think I'm going to go as a demon nun. That will really scare the kiddies!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    4 years ago

This is their house:

My favorite is the dragon

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.2.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    4 years ago
I think I'm going to go as a demon nun.

Like this...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.2.2    4 years ago

I like that very much. What do you think about black wings to go with it?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.2.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.3    4 years ago

That's actually a character from the Conjuring franchise and that particular image came from the movie, "The Nun" which is the most recent of that franchise.

Black wings would make it interesting.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.2.4    4 years ago

I was going to do my face in white face paint and make large black circles around my eyes, then top it off with bright red lipstick

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4  author  Gordy327    4 years ago

I'm tempted to celebrate Halloween early by grabbing a package of Twizzlers and a bottle of pumpkin spice beer. Maybe watch an Evil Dead movie. Evil Dead 2 was the best of the series.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gordy327 @4    4 years ago

ED2 was AWESOME!!!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1    4 years ago
ED2 was AWESOME!!!

I know, right! Ash getting beaten up by his own hand, brilliant! That scene definitely showed off Bruce Campbell's talents.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.1    4 years ago

Have you seen "The Cabin in the Woods"? I think you'd really enjoy it; it's along similar lines of ED2 for cheesiness factors [like getting beat up by one's own hand], but there's a little twist to the reason behind it too.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.1    4 years ago

It was a funny movie

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1.2    4 years ago
Have you seen "The Cabin in the Woods"?

I have not. I did see Cabin Fever though.

I think you'd really enjoy it;

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.4    4 years ago

I love this commercial, which Geico just brought back, relating to Halloween and horror movies.  

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.5    4 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif "Why can't we just get in the running car"?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1.7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.4    4 years ago

I liked Cabin Fever. I liked the comic relief of Eli Roth.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1.6    4 years ago

Always makes me chuckle!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1.7    4 years ago

There's a movie called "Dale and Tucker.....(do something)" anyway, it's hilarious. These kids spend a weekend in a cabin in the woods and they end up dead like in a horror movie but it's because of stuff they've done to themselves and poor Dale and Tucker are getting blamed for the dead bodies by the kids in the cabin

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1.11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.10    4 years ago

I'll have to check that out.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.1.11    4 years ago

Well I screwed that up. It's Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Here's the synopsis from Wiki:

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I'm agnostic I love them both the same. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5    4 years ago

Are you sure about that?

Heh Heh

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5    4 years ago
I'm agnostic I love them both the same.

I like both too. But if I had to choose just one, I would have to give the nod to Halloween.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I like them both, but Halloween is certainly more fun, and less stress.  No gifts to buy.  My son is past trick-or-treating, so we just settle in with popcorn and candy and watch scary movies

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    4 years ago
but Halloween is certainly more fun, and less stress.  No gifts to buy.  My son is past trick-or-treating, so we just settle in with popcorn and candy and watch scary movies

Exactly! Thanks for reinforcing the points made in the article.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    4 years ago

Stores put out Halloween and Christmas stuff at same time. 

Christmas food is better

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @7    4 years ago
Stores put out Halloween and Christmas stuff at same time. 

I think Xmas stuff comes a little sooner. But it's certainly in stores longer.

Christmas food is better

Define "food." jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
7.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1    4 years ago
         Define "food."
Halloween has candy mostly
Christmas has  ham, turkey, roast beef, oysters, shrimp, pie ect ect  (Thanksgiving also)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @7.1.1    4 years ago
Halloween has candy mostly

Exactly! Although, any food will do, especially if it's spookified. Unlike Thanksgiving or Christmas, Halloween isn't restricted to one particular food set. Although, candy certainly takes center stage.

Christmas has  ham, turkey, roast beef, oysters, shrimp, pie ect ect  (Thanksgiving also)

You win this round charger! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.2    4 years ago

I've made several types of lasagna for Christmas dinner. Everyone loved it.

One year, we ordered Chinese food and had it delivered because we didn't want to deal with either my or my husband's family that year. The kids were okay with that too.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1.3    4 years ago
I've made several types of lasagna for Christmas dinner. Everyone loved it.

An interesting choice for a Christmas dinner. But as log as it was enjoyed, that's all that really matters.

we ordered Chinese food and had it delivered because we didn't want to deal with either my or my husband's family that year.

Chinese is good anytime. Can't go wrong with that.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @7    4 years ago

Thanksgiving is the best holiday.  The food is as good as Christmas, and I don't have to stress over shopping.

But Halloween is the most fun.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2    4 years ago
Thanksgiving is the best holiday.  The food is as good as Christmas, and I don't have to stress over shopping

No way! Food is all Thanksgiving has going for it. 

But Halloween is the most fun.

On that we agree.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2.1    4 years ago
Food is all Thanksgiving has going for it. 

That's all it needs.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.2    4 years ago
That's all it needs.

Well played miss sandy. Well played. jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2.1    4 years ago
Food is all Thanksgiving has going for it. 

Not unless you have my extended family. Things happen during the annual Poker, Uno, and Monopoly games....spouses divorce, children run to their rooms screaming and crying...dogs and cats run away....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.5  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2.4    4 years ago

Well, that sure makes for a...lively holiday. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.2.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2.4    4 years ago

"Home for the Holidays" shows that in a movie about Thanksgiving in a funny way.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @7    4 years ago

You're right...but then you haven't had my El Diablo Pollo Enchiladas for your Halloween dinner

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.3.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.3    4 years ago

You've made me hungry now.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8  Gsquared    4 years ago

Ok, I happen to love Christmas music, and I'm not a Christian.  Some of it is just so beautiful, and some Christmas songs are really fun.  Name a great Halloween song.  Ghostbusters? (Yeah, a cool tune)  Monster Mash?  A Thanksgiving song?  Cold Turkey? (John Lennon with The Plastic Ono Band)  Of course, lots of great Christmas songs were written by Jewish composers, but Christmas does celebrate the birthday of a Jewish guy, right?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Gsquared @8    4 years ago
Some of it is just so beautiful, and some Christmas songs are really fun. 

Of course some are. But even fun or beautiful songs can become annoying or lose their impact when played ad nauseum as christmas music so often is during the holiday season.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    4 years ago

That is certainly true.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @8    4 years ago

I do love to listen to the Hallelujah Chorus sung by a talented orchestra/choir. We sang it every year during the Christmas concert in school. One year at County Chorus, when the teachers were somewhere else, somebody started tooling around on the piano and started playing it. Soon, students from 10 different high schools were singing and singing it correctly.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    4 years ago

1. It has better movies: 

Nothing against Halloween movies but Christmas vacation, It's a wonderful life, Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Scrooged, Miracle on 34th street, Die hard .... i could go on and on.   Christmas movies are great and very diverse.   From old classics to feel good action flicks.   They run the gamut

2. Better seasonal weather:

Skiers, Snow-shoers, Snowmobilers, Skaters, Ice fishers, etc will disagree with you.   Again, no issue with warmer weather but cold weather has it's charms as well.  

To each their own

3. Better costumes:

Gotta agree there.   Slutty nurse costumes beat ugly Christmas sweaters all day long ....

4. Trick-or-treating and community activities:

Just got to get involved.   All sorts of community activities during Christmas where i'm from.   Community Skating parties, bonfires, sleigh rides etc

5. Better candy and treats:

The baked goods for Christmas are the bomb.   So don't get my waistline started on the Christmas cookies

6. Less stress:

Yeah, most of which is self imposed though.   So who's fault is that?

7. Voluntary participation:

See #6 above

8. Less annoying songs: 

I love Christmas music but i must admit.   I'm ready to be done with it after the season is done.

9. Better decorations (maybe)

I like both.   I have the greatest prank Halloween decoration ever.   It's a big black spider that is sound activated to drop right in front of the kids when they scream trick or treat.    So yeah i probably like Halloween better from that standpoint.   We tend to go more nuts over Halloween decorations these days that Christmas.   Which is mainly weather related.

Verdict:

I like both.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @10    4 years ago

1. I mentioned Scrooged. How I could ever forget to mention Die Hard, the greatest Christmas movie of all time, is beyond me. Christmas Vacation is a close second. The others are meh. See them once and that's good enough. But Die Hard & Xmas Vacation are always good for repeat viewings. Thanks for mentoning Die Hard & Xmas Vacation.

2. Not saying winter weather doesn't have its charm. But I'll bet more people would prefer warmer weather. One has to be into winter sports to enjoy them. Halloween fall weather is still good enough to enjoy almost any other outdoor activity.

3. Slutty nurse, sexy witch, French maid, ect.. Need I go on :)

4. Bonfires are always nice. But that can be done during Halloween too, or anytime really. Sleigh rides are fine. But they strike me as a more local attraction. Nothing beats a Halloween party for fun and various degrees of debauchery. 

5. Both holidays have their baked goods and waistline expanding attributes. Christmas cookies, Halloween cookies, its all good. But Halloween baked goods can be more decorative or creative.

6. I would say there are outside influences or factors too. 

7. Again, participation in Christmas activities tends to be expected, especially with family. Hard to escape that.

8. Exactly. At the beginning, it's fine. It gets you in the holiday mood or mentality. It can give you that feel good vibe. But it isn't long before one is grinding their teeth in annoyance.

9. That spider prank is awesome. Nothing says spooky Halloween like jump scares, Lol. You certainly get points for that one. Kudos.

Verdict: I like both too. But I have to say Halloween does edge out over Christmas. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1    4 years ago
2. Not saying winter weather doesn't have its charm. But I'll bet more people would prefer warmer weather. One has to be into winter sports to enjoy them. Halloween fall weather is still good enough to enjoy almost any other outdoor activity.

If you live in the South, all you get is cold. You don't get enough ice for skating on a pond or enough snow for skiing or sledding.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Gordy327 @10.1    4 years ago

Another i like to do is the old scarecrow sitting in the chair by the door.

You can scare the crap out of people with that one if you do your costume up right

Everyone thinks you are just a scarecrow and when you reach and touch someone or say hello or boo ..... you should see people jump.

Great fun!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1.3  author  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.2    4 years ago

Ah, the old scarecrow gag. Always a classic. Kind of like the mummy popping out of the closet. Have the scarecrow hold a pitchfork for an extra scare.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1.4  author  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.1    4 years ago

I find winter weather activities to be more...restrictive, for lack of a better term. Most people will probably be spending Christmas indoors with family & friends. Halloween by its nature seems to encourage going out more.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
10.1.5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.2    4 years ago

I'm a fighter not a flighter... I've punched people for that scarecrow gag. My stepbrother found out that I'm a fighter the hard way by jumping out from behind the huge pine tree in our front yard; I kicked his ass and our parents were laughing when we went in the house. At the time, I was 12 and he was 19.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1.6  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @10.1.5    4 years ago

That's hilarious.

Remind me not to mess with you. jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @10.1.5    4 years ago

I've been punched before doing that before .....  it's kinda strange laughing after that but that's how i roll .....

Everyone's reactions are different but even the punchers will start laughing after that .... getting in the mood as it were. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
10.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.7    4 years ago

Oh yeah. For sure.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
10.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Sparty On @10    4 years ago
Christmas vacation

"SH*TTER'S FULL!" jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
11  evilone    4 years ago

Here's just one of the joys of Halloween - Any questions?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @11    4 years ago

What a great sketch that was .... hilarious and creepy as hell!  

And they say SNL is no good anymore ...... balderdash!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
12  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago
Halloween is in the middle of the fall season, when it is not too hot, but not too cold... While one needs to bundle up in layers to venture into Christmas weather, a light jacket will probably be all you need for Halloween, if at all.

Depends on where you live. I had to wear a snowsuit trick or treating as a kid before; most of my costumes growing up were either warm themselves, or had the ability to wear warm gear underneath or looked good with a coat. I've dealt with varying temps on Halloween from 70°F to 40°F with freezing rain. 

But one can only hear the same songs or versions of the same songs done by various music artists over & over again for more than a month before one is about to go insane and stab their eardrums out with a Q-tip.

Yep. I've broken someone's CD [a "burned" one; I replaced the disc with a new recordable CD] because they wouldn't stop knowing it was pissing me off. They poked the bear and were lucky that their "boombox" wasn't thrown across the shop.

Sure, Christmas decorations have Santa, snowmen, reindeer, elves, candy canes, etc.

One could make it more interesting by throwing fake blood all over that stuff on their front lawn. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Three points / inquiries: 

Have you ever seen "Home for the Holidays"? It's a THANKSGIVING movie. It makes me laugh. 

Have you watched the movie [based off of the video game] "Silent Hill"? I love it and there's some spooky crap in it. 

Lastly, how can you fail to give a huge nod to Michael Myers for the Halloween movie series? 

Some of my favorite horror movies are as follows:

Nightmare on Elm St. & Friday the 13th franchises just because that's what I grew up on.

Silent Hill

The Cabin in the Woods [hilarious if you ask me]

House & House II

The Frighteners

Never mind... I could go on forever. I love horror movies and the "spoofs" from them too. The "Scary Movie" franchise is hilarious.

I can only say that I have ONE favorite Christmas movie: Elf.... well, I suppose I enjoy "The Family Stone" too.

My family and I enjoy New Year's Eve because we spend it together, playing games, laughing and having a good time. One year, we played "Truth or Dare" with the kids... my husband had to do a face down snow angel and it was 2°F that night! It was so much fun. I made my son "moon the room". 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @12    4 years ago

We used to have a tradition on Christmas Eve. I would buy or make stuff for every one to eat throughout the day. We didn't do much except stuff ourselves and watch TV. The one thing that had to be done tho was watching "A Christmas Story" and "Christmas Vacation". When that was done, we opened presents then we began a marathon game of Monopoly where I always had to have the utilities and the railroads and Mr Giggles would go broke buying houses for the low rent district.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
12.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1    4 years ago

I like becoming "Vanderbilt" with the railroads myself.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @12    4 years ago
Depends on where you live.

I'm generally referring to more temperate regions that is associated with various holidays.

They poked the bear and were lucky that their "boombox" wasn't thrown across the shop.

That seems to be the one thing everyone can agree on: Christmas music becomes increasingly annoying and unbearable as the season wears on. Halloween does not seem to suffer that problem.

Have you ever seen "Home for the Holidays"?

I have not.

Have you watched the movie [based off of the video game] "Silent Hill"?

Yes. And I've played the game a little too.

Lastly, how can you fail to give a huge nod to Michael Myers for the Halloween movie series? 

My bad. But there are a lot of franchises I didn't mention, like Saw & the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, to name a few.

Nightmare on Elm St. & Friday the 13th franchises just because that's what I grew up on.

Mine too.

House & House II

Saw House II.

The "Scary Movie" franchise is hilarious.

Yes, but mostly the first one.

I can only say that I have ONE favorite Christmas movie: Elf.

Elf was good and Will Ferrel just made the movie work. 

My family and I enjoy New Year's Eve because we spend it together, playing games, laughing and having a good time.

How nice. New Years was never a big deal to me.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
14  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

Rules of a horror movie [Scream, 1996].

Gordy327
Professor Expert
14.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @14    4 years ago

This is true. In horror movies, sex = certain death. So does running upstairs instead of out the door. The best chance of survival (but not guaranteed) is to be an innocent virgin, preferably female.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
15  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

OH! Who can forget "Candyman"?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @15    4 years ago
Who can forget "Candyman"?

With Tony Todd, right?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
15.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gordy327 @15.1    4 years ago

Yes.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.2  author  Gordy327  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @15.1.1    4 years ago

I thought so. He also played Worf''s brother Kurn on Star Trek: TNG. Just a bit of trivia there. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
16  author  Gordy327    4 years ago

So begins the countdown to Halloween. Time to start stocking up on candy, treats, seasonal beers, and scary movies. Halloween is one of those holidays you can enjoy with family or friends, or just by yourself. Sit back, grab a bowl of candy in one hand, a bowl of popcorn in the other, turn off the lights, and binge watch horror movies all night. Sounds like a sweet life. Literally and figuratively. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
17  charger 383    4 years ago

I just noticed Halloween will be a full blue moon, 2nd full moon in October

Gordy327
Professor Expert
17.1  author  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @17    4 years ago

That's just perfect.