╌>

'Shameless Stunt': Trump Reportedly Attempting to Raid Medicare Trust Fund to Pay for Drug Discount Cards With His Name on Them

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  143 comments

By:   Jake Johnson (Common Dreams)

'Shameless Stunt': Trump Reportedly Attempting to Raid Medicare Trust Fund to Pay for Drug Discount Cards With His Name on Them
There it is: Trump wants to steal billions from Medicare to pay for an illegal voter bribery scheme weeks before the election.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"There it is: Trump wants to steal billions from Medicare to pay for an illegal voter bribery scheme weeks before the election."

by Jake Johnson, staff writer on Friday, October 09, 2020

President Donald Trump arrives to speak as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Seema Verma and Vice President Mike Pence look on during a Coronavirus Task Force press briefing at the White House on April 19, 2020. (Photo: Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images)

Less than a month away from the November election, Trump administration officials are reportedly rushing to implement the president's recent proposal to send $200 prescription drug discount cards to nearly 40 million Medicare recipients—an $8 billion plan that would be financed by dipping into the Medicare trust fund.

Politicoreported Thursday that the administration is "seeking to finalize the plan as soon as Friday and send letters to 39 million Medicare beneficiaries next week, informing seniors of Trump's new effort to lower their drug costs, although many seniors would not receive the actual cards until after the election." While the design of the cards has yet to be finalized, officials are reportedly discussing ways to put Trump's name on them.

"It's a shameless stunt that steals billions from Medicare in order to fund a legally dubious scheme that's clearly intended to benefit President Trump's campaign right before Election Day."
—Rep. Frank Pallone Jr.

The plan would cost $7.9 billion, according to Politico, with $19 million going toward letters touting the initiative, which advocacy groups and Democratic lawmakers are denouncing as an obvious and potentially unlawful campaign ploy that would provide little relief for the millions impacted by obscenely high drug prices.

"There it is: Trump wants to steal billions from Medicare to pay for an illegal voter bribery scheme weeks before the election," tweeted Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-N.J.).

Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, echoed Pascrell in a statement to Politico. "It's a shameless stunt that steals billions from Medicare in order to fund a legally dubious scheme that's clearly intended to benefit President Trump's campaign right before Election Day," said Pallone.

In a speech on healthcare in Charlotte, North Carolina late last month, Trump proclaimed that his administration would "in the coming weeks" be mailing out $200 medicine discount cards to tens of millions of Medicare recipients, an announcement that reportedly caught some officials at the Department of Health and Human Services off guard.

"We don't need more PR stunts designed to distract us from the reality that President Trump has done more to help the drug corporations with big tax breaks than he has to help seniors struggling to afford medicine."
—Margarida Jorge, Lower Drug Prices Now

"Nobody's seen this before, these cards are incredible," said the president, who is badly trailing Democratic nominee Joe Biden among senior voters in recent polls. "Biden won't be doing this."

Politico reported that Seema Verma, administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, is pressuring officials to have the plan ready to go before Election Day, heightening internal concerns that the discount cards are little more than an attempt to assist Trump's reelection campaign with taxpayer dollars.

"This is a solution in search of a problem and a bald play for votes in the form of money in pockets," one unnamed HHS official told Politico.

Margarida Jorge, campaign director for Lower Drug Prices Now, said in a statement that "sending $200 gift cards to seniors before the election is a poor substitute for continuing to let drug corporations jack up their medicine prices afterwards."

"Yet again, President Trump is trying to bribe his way to re-election," said Jorge. "Americans need serious reforms that check Pharma's power to charge whatever they want and to increase prices any time. We don't need more PR stunts designed to distract us from the reality that President Trump has done more to help the drug corporations with big tax breaks than he has to help seniors struggling to afford medicine."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

No wonder the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known merely as "the damn gop"...

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1  bugsy  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago
is now known merely as "the damn gop".

You've said this many times over the last few months, and have been asked to quote someone of credit that has said this, not just triggered leftists.

You have yet to provide any proof.

No surprise.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  bugsy @1.1    4 years ago

I said it...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    4 years ago

I believe his post mentioned triggered leftists.

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    4 years ago

What is wrong with this man; this cabinet secretary? This is not Donald's money to pawn off! Democrats need to shout this from the rooftops!

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  CB @2    4 years ago

That has never stopped him before...

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  JBB @2.1    4 years ago

If he destroys medicare (which there is a chance he can deplete the fund) many people will regret it for a very long time! At least, then we will have their attention! I reckon.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.1    4 years ago

This wouldn't destroy Medicare. No need for histrionics.

I wonder if the some 40 million or so would enjoy and could really use that extra $200 to help pay for medicines they might not be able to afford otherwise?

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago

Check this: Tell me where I am wrong.

President Trump pledged to give Medicare beneficiaries hundreds of dollars to put toward the cost of prescription drugs as he laid out his health care plan in a speech on Thursday.

“Under my plan, 33 million Medicare beneficiaries will soon receive a card in the mail containing $200 that they can use to help pay for prescription drugs,” Trump said during a speech in North Carolina.

Trump said the cards will be mailed out in the coming weeks and indicated the money is available because of savings that will be reaped from other policies in his broader plan.

But before you do anything else, the discussion goes

Trump payroll plan would deplete Social Security by 2023: Administrator

By Niv Elis - 08/25/20 12:17 PM EDT
President Trump's proposal to eliminate payroll taxes would deplete the Social Security retirement trust fund by 2023, and its disability insurance fund by the middle of next year, according to the Social Security Administration. Absent other sources of revenue, the programs would stop paying out benefits when the funds were depleted.
Early August, President Trump signed an executive order permitting companies to stop withholding payroll taxes from their employee paychecks, a gambit to increase take-home pay. But Trump also went a step further, promising that he would cancel the tax altogether if he were to be reelected in November, a move that has little support from either party on Capitol Hill and is unlikely to advance. Federal payroll taxes fund Social Security.
“If I’m victorious on Nov. 3, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax,” he said upon signing the order.
“In other words, I’ll extend beyond the end of the year and terminate the tax,” he added, though he did not specify whether he would seek to pay out benefits using general tax funds or other revenue sources.

Trump has also promised to not touch Social Security benefits, but his budget proposals have included policies that would scale back disability insurance. 

Trump's Second-Term Plan For Social Security: Starve The Beast

Donald Trump won’t say it, but Republicans in the Senate will: Social Security and Medicare would be on the chopping block in a second Trump term. Pointing to rising deficits , Republican senators have all but promised to gut entitlements if Trump gets four more years. 

Sen. John Thune (R-SD), the second-ranking Senate Republican, expressed hope to the New York Times that Trump would be “interested” in reforming Social Security and Medicare. Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY) was even more optimistic. “We’ve brought it up with President Trump, who has talked about it being a second-term project,” Barrasso said. Senate Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has made no secret of wanting to cut Social Security

First, expand deficits through tax cuts, then declare that spending must be slashed. The chief target of these proposed cuts is Social Security, which historians have noted the mainstream Republican party has long sought to diminish, privatize, or both. 

You sure you want a 1% back in 2021 as president?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.3    4 years ago

Thank you for admitting that the $200 won't break Medicare.

That was my precise point.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    4 years ago

I have "admitted" no such thing. As to a "precise" point, $200 for an individual won't accomplish much in the realm of 'merican healthcare! Sure, you know that already.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.5    4 years ago

I know seniors who can really use that money for meds. Meds prescribed by doctors. so I figure that IS  a part of healthcare.

maybe you figure seniors don't need it.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.7  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    4 years ago

Well, it's better than nothing, right. However, Donald knows that it's a bribe. And when did conservatives start agreeing to bribery? If he going to properly 'pump the system for votes' make it an even $400-$500 per senior. Now, they can get some meds!

BTW, why give away somebody else money - that is a conservative "preach" point. Nobody ASKED Donald to do it. And, it isn't enough to win favor from the uninformed atknown the informed!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.7    4 years ago

you must hold a very low opinion of our seniors if you think their vote can be bought for $200.

I think they will have already made their minds up and this will not affect their votes

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.9  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.8    4 years ago

Actually, that failed to register. Seniors are smart and most have sufficient wisdom to discern that Donald did not do his best to stop them and himself (a senior) from getting the Coronavirus . And yet he is about to 'kill off' their medicare in a damnable strike in a second term! (All seniors that survive the coronavirus (Covid-19) will most probably have "long-hauler medical issues.") 

Donald is not being nice to give $200 to individuals who did not ask for it. He is being diabolically and deceptive to compel a 'pay-off' before writing out a 'piss-off'!

McConnell Blames Entitlements, Not GOP, for Rising Deficits
Source:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.9    4 years ago

you need to make up your mind. please.

Either it is what you called a bribe, or what seems to be some diabolic plan to get rid of Medicare.

look. I get that you want to vent about Trump. but to me, this is a loser for you to worry about.

also, no need to talk glowingly of seniors now after saying their votes could be bought for $200. as if that is their only concern about who runs the country.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.11  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    4 years ago

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.11    4 years ago

excellent!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.13  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.12    4 years ago

People on Medicare Advantage plans can get maintenance drugs with zero copay for a 90 supply by mail order

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1.14  TTGA  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago
This wouldn't destroy Medicare. No need for histrionics.

Couldn't hurt the trust fund at all because......The Medicare and Social Security trust funds have been drained for the last 50 yeas by scumbag professional politicians who used the money to buy votes with social programs.  The actual money in those funds was replaced with worthless, uncollectable IOU's.  Those programs are now funded by general government funds voted for on a yearly basis, just like all other Federal Government programs.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.15  CB  replied to  TTGA @2.1.14    4 years ago
The Medicare and Social Security trust funds have been drained for the last 50 yeas by scumbag professional politicians who used the money to buy votes with social programs.

Sorry! Are you criticizing the past (which you can not properly affect) or directing any ire at the present administration which you can impact up or down? I mean, really this is 'life' we're all going to need a little help from our friends in high places as part of our tapestry. Depleting the "general fund" farther (to use your statements as context) as a last ditch political stunt is not a conservative value—or is it now?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.16  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago
$200 to help pay for medicines

One vial of insulin, (a months supply), is ~$300.00. 

$200.00 a month is a slap in the face. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.18  CB  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.17    4 years ago

Why is a so-called "conservative" president handing out $200 dollars medicare cards to individual seniors during a presidential election?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.16    4 years ago

funny, some think it too much and will cripple Medicare. while others think it isn't enough.

not possible to please all

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.18    4 years ago

contrary, possibly, to what you have been told. conservatives aren't trying to push Granny off a cliff.

I think you intended to be insulting. so, moving on.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.16    4 years ago

I suppose nothing is preferable?

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.24  CB  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.22    4 years ago

Is this "cash for favor" 'working'? No wonder Trump conservatives are considered Conservative In Name Only! True conservatives probably would not dream up such a scheme as cashing out to appeal to voters in the throbs of election.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.24    4 years ago

Why do you persist in this charade?

Cashing out to appeal to voters?

The same ones you seem to think can be bought for such a sum?

For an amount you called a bribe?

You think seniors are easily bribed?

Was he only going to send it to Democrats and independents because what would be the point of "bribing" people already voting for him, right?

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.26  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.25    4 years ago

See @2.1.11.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.27  GaJenn78  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    4 years ago

I have elderly pts that are on several meds and we do our best to prescribe the cheapest brand we can. They still come on the office to get a months worth of samples because its still too expensive. I hear them talk everyday that the extra $200 would help immensely. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.28  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.19    4 years ago

Although the $200 will help in the very short term it is only a band-aid on a gushing wound. 

The overall lowering of drug prices is a much better fix. Trump has stated that he will do that, so I guess he better get to hopping. He can start by pushing a change in the law that allows Medicare/Medicaid to negotiate drug prices with the drug companies.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.29  Kavika   replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.27    4 years ago

Do you tell them to check out Good RX, GaJenn. Many seniors don't know about it and it can save them money. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.30  Bob Nelson  replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.27    4 years ago

The !600/week that they were getting, before Trump and the Republicans let it lapse... was kinda better, though... Don't you think?

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.31  GaJenn78  replied to  Kavika @2.1.29    4 years ago

Yes, we constantly give those cards to our pts. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't and for the meds it doesn't help for, we make sure we have samples for them.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.32  GaJenn78  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.30    4 years ago

I'm not a senior so I'm not sure the specifics of that. I'm just saying what my elderly pts are telling me. I do what I am able to for my pts. And that includes making sure I/we have ample supply of certain meds that are expensive so we are able to give them a months worth

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.33  GaJenn78  replied to  Kavika @2.1.28    4 years ago

I thought that was already in the works. Big Phama that is. Stuff doesn't just happen overnight, no matter who is president or which side controls whatever. I don't care for either candidate, but I also know that the pharmaceutical (sp?) lobbyist are a Big problem. I work in healthcare so that is a big thing for me. I also see people who have "insurance" through the marketplace and it doesn't cover crap. Pts come in and would rather be "selfpay" because its cheaper to pay our established rate of $80 for an office visit as opposed to waiting for us to file insurance and it pay $25 and the pt getting a bill for $200. That's the boat I'm in. We have insurance, but a high deductible plan. For the same price 10 yrs ago, we had copays and $2500 deductible and it covered the same stuff. Honestly, I just want to be able to take my girls to the doctor for strep or flu and it cost me $25. Now, I get a bill for $174 and change AFTER paying a $45 copay.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.34  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.17    4 years ago

Who were those career politicians?  republicans?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.35  Kavika   replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.31    4 years ago

Thanks, seems that you are doing your very best for the seniors.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.36  Kavika   replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.33    4 years ago

A couple of my family members are doctors so I get a ''birds eye view'' of much of this nonsense. 

Agreed, the Pharma lobby is big, powerful and spends millions to keep the system the way it is.

As a senior, I see the impact of the 20% supplemental costs. As you get older they constantly go up and before I switched to a PPO they were up to $350 per month. Just crazy. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.37  GaJenn78  replied to  Kavika @2.1.35    4 years ago

They are my favorite pts!!! And I love them. Some are cranky old peeps but I think they like me, as I can always get a smile out of them. Some are just happy go lucky. It makes my day when they say "Thanks Jenn, you have been great, have a blessed/great day" Totally worth dealing with crankiness😍

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.38  GaJenn78  replied to  Kavika @2.1.36    4 years ago

Its crazy not to get a PPO if your over a certain age! An HMO is great if your in your 20s, no kids and no health issues

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.39  CB  replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.27    4 years ago

Don't ignore the obvious! This is an attempt to buy short-term favor for votes by the so-called conservative president. Trump is not a conservative, despite the long series of attempts at camouflage.

Conservatives always gripe about "freebies" this and "freebies" that and now it A-Okay? What is wrong with this really small investment in helping seniors? Is it because it is insignificantly small that conservatives like it? Please elaborate.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.40  CB  replied to  Kavika @2.1.28    4 years ago

So right, Kavika! Two hundred dollars from a government that can do so much more to help people, even help themselves is BS. Trump knows it and is patronizes his supporters. Because liberals (seniors) will never respect such a blatant attempt to buy their priceless life stories and chance to cast off a condescending idiot like Donlald at any cost!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.41  Kavika   replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.37    4 years ago

Well, I'm a cranky old Indian so you're probably much better off without me as a patient. LOL

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.42  GaJenn78  replied to  Kavika @2.1.41    4 years ago

I'd be honored to have you!😍

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.43  MonsterMash  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.30    4 years ago
The !600/week that they were getting, before Trump and the Republicans let it lapse... was kinda better, though... Don't you think?

Seniors were getting $ 600 a week before Trump and the Republicans let it lapse? I'm a senior why didn't I get $ 600 a week?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.44  Raven Wing  replied to  MonsterMash @2.1.43    4 years ago
I'm a senior why didn't I get $ 600 a week?

Same here, MM. I am also a senior, and I never saw any $600.00 a week in my mail box or my bank account. Never once. And I live in a Senior Community complex of 400+ apartments, and none of the other tenants received that money either. And, none of my senior friends got it either.

So, it was either a lie, or only a select group of seniors were given the $600.00 a week. Based upon Trumps MO, I'd say it was a lie.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.46  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.22    4 years ago

When has this 'president' ever actually WORKED?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.47  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.1.26    4 years ago
See @ 2.1.11 .

Saw it, not impressed.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.48  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.30    4 years ago
he !600/week that they were getting, before Trump and the Republicans let it lapse... was kinda better, though... Don't you think?

Uh, we are talking about seniors on Medicare getting money for drugs.

I dare say the majority of seniors are retired and not getting that $600 you are talking about.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.49  Texan1211  replied to  Suz @2.1.45    4 years ago
Tex, I don't know about you, but $200 wouldn't do squat for me. 

Well, I am not old enough to qualify for Medicare yet, but my wife is, and that $200 will cover our deductible for her supplemental insurance.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.50  Bob Nelson  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.44    4 years ago

I never said "seniors". 

The $600 were for victims of the pandemic. SMBs in danger of folding. Lay-offs and so on. Logically, NOT for seniors. I do not know how it was attributed. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.51  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.48    4 years ago
we are talking about seniors 

You may be. I was not. 

The $600 were for economic victims of the pandemic. Lay-offs, SMBs in peril,...

Logically, few seniors. Not me, in any case. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.52  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.51    4 years ago

Well, Bob, if you read the article, you know that I am talking about IT, which is the $200 cards going to Medicare recipients.

You are talking about $600 payments to people on unemployment--TOTALLY DIFFERENT SUBJECT.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.53  Trout Giggles  replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.32    4 years ago

Thank-you for doing what you can for your patients

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.54  GaJenn78  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.53    4 years ago

Of course!!! The pts are my favorite part of my job!❤

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.56  Trout Giggles  replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.54    4 years ago

what the hell happened to 50 some comments???

Geez! You go torture some trout for a week and everything goes to hell!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.57  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.56    4 years ago

Click the little arrow beside 55 at 2.1. Opens them up quite nicely. Hope you had a successful trip

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Gee... Trump wants to run a scam... 

Gosh...

Is there any news today?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    4 years ago

WHAT scam??

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    4 years ago

Read the article before commenting next time!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    4 years ago

I did, and my question stands--UNANSWERED, of course!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    4 years ago

Funny how some posters think we answer to them. . . 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    4 years ago
Funny how some posters think we answer to them. . . 

Let's get it straight, okay?

I KNOW no one answers to me, okay?

But I come here to engage people in conversation. 

Maybe you can try that one day.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

He is BEYOND disgusting - this is just the icing on the whole mess he's created.  Have you heard about the $21 million Las Vegas bit yet?   The rest of the world must be aghast - IMO because of that P.O.S. the USA has to have become the laughing stock of the world, if not being pitied.  Aren't his supporters ashamed, especially because supporting him brings shame upon themselves?   He makes a snake seem like an angel. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago
Aren't his supporters ashamed...

Of course not. There is nothing that would be ugly enough for them to fall away from their Glorious Leader. Remember that Trump said it himself:

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot someone, and I wouldn't lose a single voter!"

His TrueBelievers will go as low as they must, to follow him.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
reportedly

when are y'all gonna learn

unnamed sources = complete bs

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1  Gsquared  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5    4 years ago

"A lot of people say"

I'm glad you agree that Trump peddles complete B.S.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @5.1    4 years ago

I think trmp invented the phrase "a lot of people say"

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2  MrFrost  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5    4 years ago
unnamed sources = complete bs

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @5.2.1    4 years ago

Yeah, I know, truth and facts are deflection in trump supporters world.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

Not surprising at all. Reminds one of the food aid boxes fiasco.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Obviously the Pied Piper's followers see nothing wrong with the inclusion of their hero's personal promotion with the drug discount cards, a personal promotion at the expense of the Medicare Trust Fund.  Isn't that a kind of theft, by Mrl Law and Order?  Didn't he do something like that before? .  LOL.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I am 68 and I pay maybe 12 dollars a month on meds, if that.  When my husband was alive he took meds that would cost the average American $1500 a month.  Thanks to the military discount, it was one tenth of that.  For the average American on multiple meds, I doubt that 200 would make a dent.  Even if it did cover it, it would only be for one month.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9    4 years ago

I appreciate your husbands service. I work for a major hospital system in Ga and the office I work for, our pts are 80% Tricare active duty or retired. We have a program with just our office that helps vets get all or at least 90% of their benefits because the VA is dicking them around. As of last week, week, we are now accepting VA insurance. The VA is "referring" their pts to us. VA insurance pays next to nothing for outside med care but now we are contracted with them, hopefully this will be a good thing for our vets who are our pts and don't have "Tricare for life". A lot of them have the VA insurance, and honestly, I'm so happy that we are taking it now

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1.1  GaJenn78  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1    4 years ago

And your service! I'm sorry!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1    4 years ago

The injection he needed once a week for his MS would have been at least a grand a month.  Thanks to Tri Care, we weren't put into poverty.  I thank you for the good work you are doing.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1.4  GaJenn78  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1.3    4 years ago

Thank you! We try! 3 out of my 4 providers are military and 2 served together. I enjoy working with them and our pts! I enjoy being able to tell them "than you for your service" on a daily basis 😁

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1.4    4 years ago

Although I have Medicare and Tri Care, should I be looking into your providers?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1.5    4 years ago

Paula, we currently have TriCare, but when we turn 65 will that become Medicare?

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1.7  GaJenn78  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.6    4 years ago

Medicare will turn into your Primary and Tricare will then be your secondary ins. At least here in Ga that's the way it goes. If you have a $20 copay now with Tricare, you shouldn't have that any longer. Paula, I'm in Ga, but if you want to come visit our providers, come on over! You would be surprised at how many out of state vets we have that are pts! I had one today that was an hour and a half early for his appt because he drove in from Ft. Myers.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1.8  GaJenn78  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1.7    4 years ago

Sorry TG, I know that question wasn't for me. Just offering up any info that could be helpful ☺

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  GaJenn78 @9.1.8    4 years ago

I'm grateful you answered it. Thanks for the information