╌>

53-year-old Oklahoma man weds 16-year-old girl... - The Lost Ogle

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   The Lost Ogle

53-year-old Oklahoma man weds 16-year-old girl... - The Lost Ogle
Back in March, right before the world was hit by Coronamania, we told you how some Oklahoma lawmakers were hard at work protecting the rights of their constituents to marry teenage girls. Now we know why! Check out this story from the Society Pages at Muskogee Now: Social media outraged as Wagoner man, 53, marries […]

The Lost Ogle is an Oklahoma political blogger...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

October 12, 202017 Commentsby Patrick

Back in March, right before the world was hit by Coronamania, we told you how some Oklahoma lawmakers were hard at work protecting the rights of their constituents to marry teenage girls. Now we know why!

Check out this story from the Society Pages at Muskogee Now:

Social media outraged as Wagoner man, 53, marries 16-year-old girl

Kevin Bowman is a year older than his father-in-law.

Bowman, 53, is married to Larry Longoria's sixteen-year-old daughter. Longoria is 52, and he signed his consent for his teenage daughter to marry a man who is 37 years older than her.

I know rural Oklahoma is stuck in a backward, behind-the-times culture and stuff like this is way too common, but that doesn't pass the smell test. Granted, most things in the Muskogee area don't pass the smell test, but you get my point.

Here's more:

The couple were married in Wagoner County. In Oklahoma, it is legal for 16-year-olds to marry with consent of one of their parents, but it us unusual for them to marry one so much older.
Muskogee-area social media has exploded with rage and disgust at the marriage, which happened in September. The bride's Facebook account said yesterday she is deactivating it, and Bowman's last public post is from April.

Unless I'm exploiting it for profit, I think it's silly for people to care about the private sexual lives of consenting adults - "To each their own," right? - but when one of those consenting adults is marrying a 16-year-old girl, yeah, I don't blame people for getting all worked up. Who knows? Maybe Cupid's arrow took a strange shot, but there are lots of red flags here and DHS should be looking into it if they haven't already.

Haha. Just kidding. We know they won't.

I did my own digging to see if the story was true, and found the following marriage certificate on OSCN. I blurred out the 16-year-old-girl's name and signature. I did this to protect her identity, and to save you the stomach-cringing moment of seeing her childlike signature on the line next to that of her 53-year-old husband:

Download the PDF file .

There's a part of me that wants to make some jokes about this. You know, standard TLO riffs like "In all fairness, the dowry was a mobile home meth-lab and old El Camino" or "I heard the bachelorette party was at Brickopolis" or "Did they walk down the aisle to Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On", but I should probably take the high road and let our commenters do that for me instead. Or maybe I should just lock the comments. We'll see.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Now you know what the gop is doing in red states...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

Sounds like the underage girl that the scumbag pedophile ted 'shits his pants' nugent had her parents sign off on so he could screw her.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    4 years ago

Also sounds like this guy, Doug Hutchison, who played one of the guards in Green Mile

"His third marriage to aspiring singer and actress  Courtney Stodden  took place on May 20, 2011, in the Chapel of the Flowers in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was 51; she was 16. Both of Stodden's parents were supportive of the choice; her mother Krista signed a legal consent form allowing the marriage, as well as having signed their marriage certificate as a witness. Hutchison was also Stodden's manager before they were married. He is three years older than his father-in-law Alex Stodden (born 1963) and one year younger than his mother-in-law Krista (born 1959)."

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    4 years ago

Gawd fearing GOPER voter.  Ah-----------a sweeping generalization is about to befall me, right?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1  bbl-1  replied to  bbl-1 @2    4 years ago

VICTORY!

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
3  Duck Hawk    4 years ago

I thought we only see this kind of thing in the ME. /s 

I guess the far Right is using the old testament (literally, the first couple of Books) to get their morals. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I'm both amused and disgusted by this story - disgusted because a 16 year old is a child, and should be protected, and required to live a little more of life and learn a little more of what was best for her before entering into such a bond.  But I'm amused because I'm 26 years older than my wife.  However, she was in her 40s, a divorcee with a 13 year old child, and therefore had already learned from personal experience the lessons of life.  In a way I'm also amused that I'm only 2 years younger than my mother-in-law - she's almost an invalid and I'm still quite active. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

I am disgusted with the man in the story but I gotta say, today is a different time than years ago.

My Grandparents were married when she was 15 and he was 25.

Hard to judge my own kin.  Haha

I will say they were together their whole lives and loved each other.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @4.1    4 years ago

My parents went in the opposite direction.  My mother was a baby-snatcher.  My father was 20 and my mother was 21 when they married. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

That guy is totally creepy.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago
Longoria is 52, and he signed his consent for his teenage daughter to marry a man who is 37 years older than her.

Her father is at fault here. Seriously. What would possess a father to sign for this? Does he just not want to take care of her anymore? My daughter is 17 and I can GUARANTEE myself nor my ex-husband would ever sign for her to get married.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8  Snuffy    4 years ago

While I personally would not want to marry someone with a very large age difference due to the greater disparity in life experiences which to me match up with compatibility,  I don't begrudge what other people do and if they can make a large age difference work for them more power to them.

But she's only 16, she hasn't experienced much of life yet and I submit she really doesn't yet know who she is. I really don't see this working out or lasting and I truly hope she doesn't become pregnant right away and have to try to support children at 20 with no education or experience after a divorce. That IMO would be even worse than getting married at 16 as it's a lifetime sentence.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

Nothing like having an old man that makes your father look like a young man.