╌>

California authorities send cease and desist to state GOP over unofficial ballot drop boxes

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gsquared  •  4 years ago  •  20 comments

California authorities send cease and desist to state GOP over unofficial ballot drop boxes
The California Secretary of State and Department of Justice have sent a cease and desist order to the California Republican Party to remove unofficial ballot drop boxes placed in at least three counties, officials announced in a news conference on Monday. "These unauthorized drop boxes are a disservice to state and local election administrators who have spent months working on the placement and deployment of official ballot drop boxes," California Secretary of State Alex Padilla said.

Republicans continue to act on their contempt and disdain for our democracy.

Biden and his supporters are strictly off-topic.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The California Secretary of State and Department of Justice have sent a cease and desist order to the California Republican Party to remove   unofficial ballot drop boxes   placed in at least three counties, officials announced in a news conference on Monday.

"These unauthorized drop boxes are a disservice to state and local election administrators who have spent months working on the placement and deployment of official ballot drop boxes," California Secretary of State Alex Padilla said.

Images of the unofficial boxes showed that some had been labeled as "official," Padilla explained, adding that his office received reports of the unofficial boxes being deployed by the state Republican Party in Fresno, Los Angeles and Orange counties.

California   state law   does not allow for the use of unauthorized vote-by-mail ballot drop boxes. Only county election officials have the authority to oversee drop boxes and ensure that they're in compliance with the law.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, however, said Monday that his office received "disturbing reports" that some Republican Party officials are not willing to remove the "unofficial" boxes.

California Republican Party spokesman Hector Barajas told CNN in a statement earlier Monday that the unofficial boxes amounted to an opportunity for "friends, family, and patrons to drop off their ballot with someone they know and trust."

"The Democrat anger is overblown when state law allows organizations, volunteers or campaign workers to collect completed ballots and drop them off at polling places or election offices," Barajas claimed.

Fresno County GOP Chairman Fred Vanderhoof also maintained that the party wasn't doing anything wrong in an interview with CNN, alleging without evidence that the state Democratic Party was ballot harvesting.

"We have a hypocritical situation," he said.

The instillation of unofficial ballot drop boxes comes as President Donald Trump continues to lean into   a conspiratorial message   around the US voting process and mail-in voting in particular ahead of the November election.

While rare instances of voter fraud from mail-in ballots do occur, it is nowhere near a widespread problem in the US election system.

Mail ballot fraud is exceedingly rare in part because states have systems and processes in place to prevent forgery, theft and voter fraud. Those systems would apply to both absentee ballots and mail-in ballots for in-state voters.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Gsquared    4 years ago

Trump voters, drop off your ballots here:

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @1    4 years ago

a dumpster is their free ride to the polls

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    4 years ago

What is wrong with the Formerly Grand Old Party?

No wonder they are now known as "the damn gop"!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Gsquared    4 years ago

It looks like the Republicans have been very busy.  These things are showing up everywhere:

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Gsquared  replied to  Gsquared @3    4 years ago

This one is located in a semi-rural area near Redding, California.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @3.1    4 years ago

I hear that Putin has a dacha in Redding. 

Boris and Natasha told me that and you know that their inside information is always accurate.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    4 years ago

I don't for sure but I've heard that you can see Russia from the shores of Lake Shasta. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    4 years ago

What's even more interesting is that Boris and Natasha told me that they had infiltrated the Jefferson movement and are steering it to a more Russian world view.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    4 years ago
... more Russian world view.

Not easy... 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @3    4 years ago

all trumpsters need to do is look in the hole to be reminded of who they are and who they're voting for

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    4 years ago

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Gsquared  replied to  JBB @5    4 years ago

Lord Voldemort, Republican presidential nominee.  He eats children.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    4 years ago

Oh come on now. The republicans just want to prove there is voter fraud, you know, by committing voter fraud...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ender @6    4 years ago

They’re probably pulling straws across the country to pick the sacrificial dumbasses who have to take one for the team and vote twice.  After they ruin the vote Trump will do a mass pardon.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1    4 years ago

Gotta admire, err disdain their bravado. Willing to restrict drop off boxes in one state, while putting up fraudulent ones in another...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Gsquared  replied to  Ender @6.1.1    4 years ago

Fraud and corruption.  Exactly what we would expect from the Republican Party.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.2    4 years ago

That's the only way they can win, they have to lie, cheat, and steal.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
7  Dulay    4 years ago

Based on CA law, those ballots are void. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

If the Republicans intend to play every game they can, in particular suppress the voting, and since they like bitching about the fact that the Chinese people don't have the right to vote and since Trump wants to control the world anyway, how about giving them that precious right to vote and send me a few million ballots and I'll set up an early polling booth here and get all the people in my area to complete them and I'll send them to you for the count.  I think I know who they woud prefer to vote for.  Better print them in Mandarin as well as English.