╌>

Romney decries state of America's 'vile, vituperative, hate-filled' politics, puts blame largely on Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  54 comments

By:   Allan Smith (NBC News)

Romney decries state of America's 'vile, vituperative, hate-filled' politics, puts blame largely on Trump
Sen. Mitt Romney said he's disgusted by the state of politics, listing comments made by President Donald Trump and YouTube vlogger Keith Olbermann.

At least Romney correctly lays the blame where it rightly belongs at Trump's lousy no good lying feet...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Oct. 13, 2020, 3:14 PM UTC By Allan Smith

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said Tuesday he's fed up with how "vile" and "vituperative" American politics have become, placing the blame largely on President Donald Trump.

"I have stayed quiet with the approach of the election," Romney said in a statement posted to Twitter. "But I'm troubled by our politics, as it has moved away from spirited debate to a vile, vituperative, hate-filled morass that is unbecoming of any free nation — let alone the birthplace of modern democracy."

"The president calls the Democratic vice presidential candidate "a monster;" he repeatedly labels the speaker of the House "crazy;" he calls for the Justice Department to put the prior president in jail; he attacks the governor of Michigan on the very day a plot is discovered to kidnap her," Romney said of comments Trump has made within the last week in Fox News interviews and on Twitter.

My thoughts on the current state of our politics: pic.twitter.com/oYY4zlX6ZP
— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) October 13, 2020

Romney then lamented commentary and actions on the left side of the aisle, saying Democrats "launch blistering attacks of their own — though their presidential nominee refuses to stoop as low as others."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., "tears up the president's State of the Union speech on national television," Romney said. "Keith Olbermann calls the president a 'terrorist.' Media on the left and right amplify all of it."

The latter comment appeared to be in reference to comments Olbermann, a former MSNBC and ESPN host, made on his YouTube vlog days ago, which he posts to Twitter.

"The rabid attacks kindle the conspiracy mongers and the haters who take the small and predictable step from intemperate word to dangerous action," Romney said. "The world is watching America with abject horror; more consequentially, our children are watching. Many Americans are frightened for our country — so divided, so angry, so mean, so violent."

"It is time to lower the heat," Romney continued. "Leaders must tone it down. Leaders from the top and leaders of all stripes: Parents, bosses, reporters, columnists, professors, union chiefs, everyone. The consequence of the crescendo of anger leads to a very bad place. No sane person can want that."

Romney's comments come days after federal authorities announced they had foiled a multiperson plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, something Romney had made mention of in his statement. Whitmer has tied the thwarted plot to Trump's rhetoric.

Romney has occasionally spoken out against the president and was the only Republican senator to cast a vote in favor of convicting Trump in his impeachment trial earlier this year.

Allan Smith

Allan Smith is a political reporter for NBC News.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Everything Trump touches is debased and corrupted!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    4 years ago

What, does Romney have a book coming out?  Don't trust him.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago
vNE8iTnK_bigger.jpg
Tommy Vietor
@TVietor08
It's long past time to break ground on a Both Sides museum in Washington, DC. This comparison of the President of the United States to Keith Olbermann MUST be preserved for future generations.

EkN0gEzUcAI_Gcw?format=jpg&name=large

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I have mixed feelings as to whether or not it is a good thing for Mitt Romney to make this statement.  It certainly will have no positive effect on Trumpsters, who are the main ones in need of this opinion.   And it is a form of "both sides" ism. 

Nancy Pelosi, let alone Keith Olbermann, are NOT as guilty of abhorrent behavior as Donald Trump is.  Any suggestion that they are is absurd. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    4 years ago

Yeah, all the resisters in the media and on the left spewing their hatred and bitter vitriol the last four years have NOTHING to do with it right John?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @6    4 years ago

Are we going to go over this a thousand times?  

Donald Trump is totally unfit to hold public office in the United States of America.  He is a known serial liar, crook, bigot, moron and cheat. 

What in the world leads you to conclude that such a person is fit for office? 

Just tell us. We want to know once and for all why you approve of this asshole. 

This doesnt even cover his first year in office. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    4 years ago
Are we going to go over this a thousand times?  

Nah, pretty sure you past that landmark long ago John and yet ...... you still aren't correct.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    4 years ago

Tell us why you support a known serial liar, crook , bigot, moron and cheat, will you?   We can't wait forever for the big reveal. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.2    4 years ago

Tell us why you think this seed is about me?   No big "fancy" reveal needed, just explain it ..... and then you can answer my original question.  

A simple yes or no will be instructive enough.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

My problem with Romney is that he talks a good talk, but doesn't walk the walk at all. His voting record is abysmal. 

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Bob Nelson @7    4 years ago

That is true!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Honestly, I appreciate his candor. That is not easy to do. I don't have to like everything he votes for to accept what he just said, as he just speaking his mind.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8    4 years ago
just speaking his mind....

Words are cheap. They carry zero engagement.

Some politicians have made a career of talking independent while voting strictly conservative. (I'm looking at you, Susan Collins.) Romney seems to be on that path. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

If the voters (and then I assume the courts deciding against Trump's expected lawsuits) dump Trump, I'll bet America will ease back into a level of decency. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    4 years ago

I'm not so sure now as I must have been when I wrote that comment that the American courts, in particular the judges apponted by Trump, would decide AGAINST Trump's expected lawsuits.  In that case, it isn't God Bless America, it's God SAVE America.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    4 years ago

Biden’s messaging at his Town Hall was interesting. He seemed to be saying he won't automatically pack the Court... but that successive radical conservative decisions would have that consequence. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.1    4 years ago

That makes sense to me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.2    4 years ago

Funny thing about that.

The things Biden says often make sense.........

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.1    4 years ago

If the Democrats win both the presidency and the senate they need to do two things on days 1 and 2. Day 1: abolish the filibuster. Day 2: expand the Supreme Court. 

Look, I know this is "opening Pandora's Box", but the box is already open. The GOP has shown that when it comes to the SCOTUS, there are no rules. Democrats, STOP PLAYING BY THEM. There will of course be the arguments that "things won't be so bad" or that "the SCOTUS won't do anything drastic", which of course may be true. But I am not willing to take that bet. Democrats, progressives, liberals, a 6-3 SCOTUS has the power and ability to undo literally 80 years of progress in short order. Additionally, maybe the specter of that type of instability will spur congress into making some much needed reforms of the SCOTUS.

Are you all really willing to risk voting rights, gun laws, same sex marriage, the ACA, anti-discrimination laws etc. in order to play by a set of rules that NO ONE (aside from congressional Dems) are playing by anymore? 

This isn't a popular take in much of the left, but it is the reality. You gotta get dirty with the ones down in the dirt, a "moral victory" doesn't mean a goddamn fucking. Taking the high road is like voting third party, sure you "stuck it to the system or the man", but in the end the system is still making all the rules that you live by and your "moral victory" is pointless. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.3    4 years ago
The things Biden says often make sense.........

but don't always turn out well.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @9.1.4    4 years ago
If the Democrats win both the presidency and the senate they need to do two things on days 1 and 2. Day 1: abolish the filibuster. Day 2: expand the Supreme Court. 

And I truly hope that if the Democrats win both the Senate and the White House that they do not do those two things.  IMO abolishing the filibuster would remove the rules of the greatest deliberative body in the world and turn it into mob rule.

And expanding the Supreme Court?  RBG was against court packing.

And please read up on how well court packing went when Venezuela packed their Supreme Court. I think we all know how that turned out.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Thrawn 31 @9.1.4    4 years ago

I agree about the filibuster. I'd wait for a clearly biased decision before packing the court... but that wouldn't be long, I think.

If only there were some way to fast(track a challenge to Citizens United, and if it is upheld, then pack.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.7    4 years ago
If only there were some way to fast(track a challenge toCitizens United, and if it is upheld, then pack.

Man, to hear the Democrats in the hearings, any precedent MUST be strictly adhered to.

Oh, sorry----precedent must be adhered to when Democrats agree with the decision. I always forget about that Democratic double-standard!!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.8    4 years ago

tenor.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.9    4 years ago

Didn't mean to wake you with facts, sorry!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.10    4 years ago

What facts have you ever provided?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.11    4 years ago

What facts would you like a link to that you will ignore?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    4 years ago

I'll bet America will ease back into a level of decency. 

It's going to take at least two election cycles to get Trump and his cult membership out of our system.  I suspect that even after Trump loses in November, that thigs are going to get worse before they get better.  Imagine what is going to come to light after Biden drains the swamp of the Trump slime Trump has appointed to different positions within government. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @9.2    4 years ago

I'd be concerned about what Trump is going to do for revenge during his lame duck time.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @9.2    4 years ago

The months after Nov 3 are going to suck, no doubt about it. I would say we will need at least 16 years of non-GOP presidents to get back to anything even close to normal. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2.1    4 years ago

Oh you know if he loses he is going to fuck up as much as he possibly can. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.2.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @9.2    4 years ago

I don't see it. Not as a result of a single election.

McConnell & Co are determined to create a one-party patriarchal plutocracy. They won't quit just for one defeat.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.2.4    4 years ago
McConnell & Co are determined to create a one-party patriarchal plutocracy.

Man, that is QUITE the fantasy!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

Romney is a two faced self serving snake!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11    4 years ago

... a Republican politician... 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Bob Nelson @11.1    4 years ago

Personally, I prefer to think of him as a closet Democrat l. (Sarc)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Lol, he has done VERY little to alleviate it. He occasionally says "I disagree with Mr. Trump" with the same enthusiasm as a battered housewife denouncing her husband. Fuck off Romney, you are as useful in this discussion as a shit stain on the wall.