╌>

Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  4 years ago  •  20 comments

Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90, his family has said.

The Scottish actor was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers.

Sir Sean died peacefully in his sleep, while in the Bahamas, having been "unwell for some time", his son said.

His acting career spanned decades and he won an Oscar in 1988 for his role as an Irish cop in The Untouchables.

Sir Sean's other films included The Hunt for Red October, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Rock.

• Obituary: Sir Sean Connery
  • Sir Sean Connery's career in pictures

Jason Connery said his father "had many of his family who could be in the Bahamas around him" when he died overnight.

He said: "We are all working at understanding this huge event as it only happened so recently, even though my dad has been unwell for some time.

"A sad day for all who knew and loved my dad and a sad loss for all people around the world who enjoyed the wonderful gift he had as an actor."

Sir Sean was largely regarded as being the best actor to have played 007 in the long-running franchise, often being named as such in polls.

He was knighted by the Queen at Holyrood Palace in 2000. In August, he celebrated his 90th birthday.

He was a long-time supporter of Scottish independence, saying in interviews in the run-up to the 2014 referendum that he might return from his Bahamas home to live in Scotland if it voted to break away from the rest of the UK.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: "I was heartbroken to learn this morning of the passing of Sir Sean Connery. Our nation today mourns one of her best loved sons."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    4 years ago

OMG - so many movies - so much talent - RIP Sir Connery.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

"My name is Bond, James Bond"

hqdefault.jpg

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

"The name is Bond.  James Bond."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    4 years ago

RIP Sir Sean

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

My second most favourite actor. IMO he was the only one who was James Bond - the others were all frauds.  RIP Sir Sean.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 years ago
IMO he was the only one who was James Bond - the others were all frauds.

I don't know about that. I think they have all been good in their own way.  Sean Connery was a very good actor though and deserved all the accolades he received. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 years ago

Absolutely!

RIP Sir Sean...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 years ago
the others were all frauds. 

Dog to the do, Buzz!  Roger Moore was THE James Bond of all time.  However, I never turned down any of Sean Connery's dinner invitations.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.4    4 years ago

LOL

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

Hopefully his last martini was served shaken, not stirred.  We are all terminal, but 90 is a good run.  Hope to make it there myself one day.

zuksam
Junior Silent
8  zuksam    4 years ago

Who's cooler than Sean Connery, nobody!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

One of my favorite all-time actors. I will miss him. Time is a bitter pill. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    4 years ago

And another male role model!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11  Split Personality    4 years ago

Not a fan of the James Bond era,

but never have I seen an actor age so well, gracefully playing any part with an accent that could convince you

he was a Russian one minute

or born in South Philadelphia.

Like most men of his era he had issues with marriage, wives and women, not always the currently approved views of equality of the genders.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12  Freefaller    4 years ago

One of my favourite actors, too bad