╌>

Trump Named 'Loser Of The Year' By German News Magazine Der Spiegel

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  4 years ago  •  98 comments

By:   Mary Papenfuss (HuffPost)

Trump Named 'Loser Of The Year' By German News Magazine Der Spiegel
"Trump's presidency ends as it began: Without decency and without dignity," Der Spiegel declared.

A continuing national embarrassment.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"Trump's presidency ends as it began: Without decency and without dignity," Der Spiegel declared.

President Donald Trump didn't make Time magazine's choice as Person of the Year this time around — but he was named "Loser of the Year" by Germany's respected news magazine Der Spiegel.

Der Spiegel awarded the informal title in an article on Thursday, the same day Time named both President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris its 2020 Person of the Year.

Der Spiegel, which boasts a circulation of some 870,000 readers, bashes Trump for refusing to accept defeat in the presidential election. He was "never concerned with the common good, but always with one thing — himself," write journalists Roland Nelles and Ralf Neukirch in an article headlined "Der Verlierer des Jahres" (The Loser of the Year).

"Nothing is normal under Trump," the article adds. "He refuses to admit defeat. Instead, he speaks of massive electoral fraud, although there is no evidence for it. The whole thing is not surprising. Trump's presidency ends as it began: Without decency and without dignity."

The article also shreds the GOP for its utter failure to stand up to Trump and his intentionally divisive politics. "The formerly proud party of Abraham Lincoln has degenerated into a collection of spineless yes-men," the magazine notes.

Trump is not popular with Germans. Some 85% of Germans have no confidence that the president would do the "right thing" in world affairs, according to a 2019 survey by the Pew Research Center.

In 2018, Der Spiegel portrayed Trump as a middle finger flipping off Europe. It's "time for Europe to join the resistance ... against America," the magazine urged.

"Trump is only proficient in destruction," Der Spiegel noted then. "The West as we once knew it no longer exists. It is impossible to overstate what Trump has dismantled."

The new cover from Der Spiegel, one of the most respected publications in Germany. This is how our friends in Europe see Trump's America. This matters. When America First actually means America Alone, the United States is significantly weaker. pic.twitter.com/kRWYvxdQ81 — Brian Klaas (@brianklaas) May 11, 2018

German-American relations can "only get better" with Biden, a top German official told Der Spiegel on Friday. Biden is "predictable, reliable and anything but a hothead," the article noted. "The most important thing is that he's not Trump."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    4 years ago

No doubt every nation on the planet is scratching their heads that a person of such flawed character was elected PotUS and that 74+ million wanted him to have a second term.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1    4 years ago
No doubt every nation on the planet is scratching their heads that a person of such flawed character was elected PotUS and that 74+ million wanted him to have a second term.

No doubt many people in this nation are scratching their heads too. Especially considering how many still continue to support hm.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

Populist / fascist dictators have ruled just about everywhere in the world, at one time or another. So most people around the world have a better knowledge of the beast than do most Americans.

What leaves these people - who have known fascism first-hand - flabbergasted, is that tens of millions of Americans want the horror that they have had to battle. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.1    4 years ago

I've always questioned the intelligence of the average American. Talk about the "dumbing down" of America indeed.

Thomas
Senior Guide
2  Thomas    4 years ago
"Trump is only proficient in destruction," Der Spiegel noted then. "The West as we once knew it no longer exists. It is impossible to overstate what Trump has dismantled."

This sentence sums up Trump.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Thomas @2    4 years ago
It is impossible to overstate what Trump has dismantled."

This is what concerns me.  How do we ever recover our standing in the world?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    4 years ago
How do we ever recover our standing in the world?

We never will. We became primus inter pares after WWII, and never gave up that role.

Trump abandoned America's positions in the world. 

We will never recover them. 

We must start at the bottom of the world's "esteem ladder" and try to climb. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    4 years ago

Well I am sure that Joe and the 'Ho and the rest of the Democrats will find a way to tear is down so that the Germans and others will see we are becoming just as mediocre as they are and like us again. 

Personally I don't give a fat rats pattoot what the Germans or the french or anybody else thinks. We are and should be better than they can hope to be. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.2    4 years ago
We are and should be better than they can hope to be. 

And yet

Joe and the 'Ho

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  arkpdx  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.3    4 years ago

Do I have to remind you of the things the left called president Trump or Bush or Reagan or vice president Cheney?  I guess you feel it is ok for them to be called names but for like it when the favor is returned. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.4    4 years ago

No, the point is that your comment exhibits the height of hypocrisy if taken as a whole...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.4    4 years ago

You made a misogynistic comment while claiming superiority.  Own it.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.2    4 years ago
the 'Ho

Exactly to whom are you referring?  I think Don died in 2007.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.8  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.2    4 years ago
Joe and the 'Ho

Not the smartest move to simply call Harris a 'ho' when you clearly cannot back that up with evidence.   Every time someone has tried to defend this claim they have made the mysoginistic argument that Harris is a 'ho' because her boyfriend of a year, 25 years ago, helped her out with her career.    This presumes a woman cannot be successful on her own merits and also disregards her 25 years of accomplishments since.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.8    4 years ago

The word "ho" was what an 8 year old child called a woman he didn't like in the movie "Sleepless in Seattle". Probably by the time such a kid becomes a teenager he realizes how ignorant and childish it is to describe a woman like that, but it seems there are people around whose mentality hasn't advanced beyond that of an 8 year old child. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.8    4 years ago

One of the principal motives of right-wing assholes, in visiting forums like NT, is to "own the libs". They recognize this, themselves. 

The more outrageous the words, the more anger and disgust, the better! 

No one believes "Joe and the 'ho". No one. Right-wing assholes use it to "own the lobs".

That's what assholes do. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.10    4 years ago

How do gratuitous, classless misogynistic falsehoods 'own' anybody?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.11    4 years ago

Apparently, they believe that if they can be so outrageous that someone takes umbrage, "they have won". They have "owned the lib".

They do not seem to realize that, necessarily, the first step in this process is to make utterly ridiculous statements.

They do not seem to realize that they can only "own the libs" by ruining themselves.

They aren't very bright...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    4 years ago

This is what concerns me.  How do we ever recover our standing in the world?

I think most of our allies understand that trump was an anomaly and not the norm here in the USA.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.4    4 years ago
Do I have to remind you of the things the left called president Trump or Bush or Reagan or vice president Cheney?

Pales in comparison to what the right called Obama, his wife and kids. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.13    4 years ago
I think most of our allies understand

The man in the street probably imagines Trump as an anomaly. Not so, for the more educated. There is plenty of coverage, in foreign media, of the Republican Party's subservience. 

Let's not forget that world opinion was massively opposed to America's adventure in Iraq.

There are solid grounds for doubting both America's capacity and will.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.16  Ozzwald  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.13    4 years ago
I think most of our allies understand that trump was an anomaly and not the norm here in the USA. 

I agree, however if we had chosen 4 more years of that, then I think the recovery would be much longer.  Brexit is another example of something that a country wishes it could take back.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago
Trump's presidency ends as it began: Without decency and without dignity."

Without a doubt.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    4 years ago

LOSER OF THE YEAR!  I LOVE IT!

I wonder how he's taking this?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @4    4 years ago

I wish der Spiegel had noted that it does not like losers.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @4    4 years ago

I'm sure he's fuming about it as much as he is about TIME not naming him Person of the Year.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2    4 years ago
I'm sure he's fuming about it as much as he is about TIME not naming him Person of the Year.

Worse than that, they named Biden as Person of the Year!!!  I'd have given my left ball to see his reaction when he found that out!!!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 years ago

512 512

Time repeated the cover because Trump is such a BIGLY LOSER it couldn't be covered in one cover.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago

That is a nice chair.  It is too bad that it is permanently contaminated now.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I've lost track of how many times he's lost this election.  He's right about one thing, though - I'm finally tired of all the winning.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    4 years ago

We do know that Biden won in GA more times than the Atlanta Falcons this year. 

Also, Trump has lost GA more times than the Confederacy.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7  Ronin2    4 years ago

Just loser of the year? I surprised no is blasting them for falling short of the mark. Why not "loser of the decade"; "loser of a lifetime"; or "biggest loser of all the ages?"

Less than two damn months to go in his term as president. I am seriously beginning to doubt the TDS driven are going to make it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago
Why not "loser of the decade"; "loser of a lifetime"; or "biggest loser of all the ages?"

Those would probably work, too.  They're being polite.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.3  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @7.3    4 years ago

Do you think that Monument to Losers would allow graffitti?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago

Less than two damn months to go in his term as president.

You're not going to go out and die in the streets for him?  RINO.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago
Why not "loser of the decade"; "loser of a lifetime"; or "biggest loser of all the ages?"

Trump is still striving for that goal.  How many court cases lost?  How many temper tantrums?  The numbers continue to grow.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Der Spiegel , 2017 and this year:

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8    4 years ago

I say fuck what some Germans think of the US!

When they start paying our bills, maybe they can have a say.

Until then, they should STFU and MYOB

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.1.1  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    4 years ago

I agree, germans that feel that way can fuck off.

“When they start paying our bills, maybe they can have a say.”

now that dementia boy will be pres you can be sure they will be gouging American taxpayers as far as nato is concerned.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    4 years ago

This is a perfect example of how Trumpism has broken with our allies and treats everything as merely transactional.  No more shared values.  No commonality of principles.  No cultural affinity.  If you're not giving me money, get lost!  Isolationism is the first principle of Trumpism.  We are going to be so much better off as a country without Trump's pernicious influence.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    4 years ago

Der Spiegal routinely published fake stories about America and Americans designed to paint them in a bad light

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.1.4  Gazoo  replied to  Gsquared @8.1.2    4 years ago

Oh bs. Establishment president’s have allowed our allies to sponge off the American taxpayer for decades. Trump comes along and demands they pay their agreed to share and suddenly we have “no more shared values”, “commonality of principles” and “cultural affinity” suddenly flew out the window. Yeah right.
they are just pissy because an American president had the audacity to demand they carry their own weight. With allies like that, who needs enemies? 
but globalists need not fret. Dementia boy will ensure the American taxpayer gets screwed.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @8.1.2    4 years ago

Well, I'll let you worry your head about what some Germans think of the US.

Fuck them if they don't like us. Let them defend themselves--or at least pay for their own defense.

Germany should be reminded that they need us a whole hell of a lot more than we need them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @8.1.4    4 years ago

I wonder if Germany "shares our principles" when it comes to us spying on them?

LMAO!

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.1.7  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.6    4 years ago

Well that was obama so it was ok. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @8.1.7    4 years ago

Ah!

That must be it!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Gsquared  replied to  Gazoo @8.1.4    4 years ago

Delusion boy has been screwing the American taxpayers big time for the last four years.  On January 20th, he's gone.  You'll be able to find him chewing on the rug in his nursing home in Florida if you really miss him.  In the meantime, be sure to prove your worshipful devotion and make certain you send him all your money.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.10  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.5    4 years ago

Well, I'll let you bury your head in the sand and ignore the devastation Trump caused to our standing in the world.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @8.1.10    4 years ago

Oh, how shall we ever recover?

Magically, our standing in the world always seems to go up whenever anyone wants something from us.

Thomas
Senior Guide
8.1.12  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1.3    4 years ago
....routinely published fake stories about America and Americans designed to paint them in a bad light

So do far right "news" sites. 

Anyway, this one happens to be true and funny.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1.13  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1.3    4 years ago

Prove it .

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  Gazoo @8.1.1    4 years ago
I agree, germans that feel that way can fuck off.

Germany has extensive experience with fascism, they saw what trump was from the start, a fascist wannabe. That's why they hated him so much. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @8.1.13    4 years ago

Already did. What part did you struggle to understand?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1.15    4 years ago

3rd party, counselor, really?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.14    4 years ago
Germany has extensive experience with fascism, they saw what trump was from the start, a fascist wannabe. That's why they hated him so much. 

Do you think any Germans in government positions have experience with fascism?

What experience in the last 50 years do they have?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.17    4 years ago

Angela Merkel was born in 1954. Her parents were very precisely in the "Hitler Youth" age group.

I have French friends whose families were exterminated.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.18    4 years ago

I am not denying what happened. But any Germans who lived through Hitler are mostly all gone by now, or too old to do anything. That is just years taking their tolls. I don't believe because Hitler happened gives Germans any more insight than anyone else.

Merkel born in 1954 means Hitler was long dead. She has no more experience with fascism than I do.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.20  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.19    4 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.20    4 years ago

frustrated because you still don't understand?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.22  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.21    4 years ago

... because of a problem of understanding, certainly... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.22    4 years ago

I sincerely hope you can find someone to explain it all to you. 

I just don't have the patience.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.24  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.23    4 years ago
I just don't have the patience.

... or whatever.. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.24    4 years ago

Nope, just lack the patience to explain simple things to simpler people.

Sue me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.26  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.25    4 years ago

tenor.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.27  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.18    4 years ago

Some of my husband's family were also.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.28  Bob Nelson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.27    4 years ago

... but, according to Tex, they know nothing about fascism... ( @8.1.18  )

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.28    4 years ago

Can you at LEAST quote me accurately instead of filing my posts with what YOU "wanted" or "thought" I said?

That would at least be honest of you.

Why bother to lie when my post is sitting there and everyone can see that I never said that?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.30  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.29    4 years ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.31  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.29    4 years ago

Tex?? 

Are you there?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.31    4 years ago

right here, still waiting for you to retract the falsehood and to comment appropriately

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.33  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.32    4 years ago

... and still making light of three hundred thousand dead... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.33    4 years ago

no, that is just something you invented. 

I figured the topic was different than what you wanted it to be, hence the continuing deflection!

No worries!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.35  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.34    4 years ago

three hundred thousand dead

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.35    4 years ago

Keep deflecting, I know that's all you have anyways.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.37  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.36    4 years ago

I feel kinda sorry for Bill Barr. He was so loyal... 

I feel kinda sorry for you, too... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.38  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.37    4 years ago

Deflecting STILL????

Can't you just stay on topic?

Do you even remember what it was?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.39  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.38    4 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.39    4 years ago

No need to keep parroting that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.41  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.40    4 years ago

Apparently there is a need. Some people still don't understand. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.42  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.41    4 years ago

You really should start posting to them, then.

Instead of wasting your time citing stats I already know.

Seems like it would be far better use of your time to me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.43  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.42    4 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.44  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.43    4 years ago

I believe that has been established previously.

Time to move on.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.45  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.44    4 years ago
Time to move on... 

... on many subjects... 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

"Trump's presidency ends as it began: Without decency and without dignity," Der Spiegel declared

Spot on!

JBB
Professor Principal
10  JBB    4 years ago