Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  13 comments

Undocumented workers at Nebraska meat packing plants denied Covid vaccine

19WoFsvO_bigger.jpg

The Recount

@therecount

·

5h

Gov. Ricketts (R-NE) says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants will not be eligible to receive the COVID vaccine. That’s at least 14% of Nebraska’s meatpacking workers, according to

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Nice guy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Use them and dump them.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
3  Baron Creek    3 years ago

Very troubling to say the least.

From what little I know of these groups/individuals, they generally tend to be at higher risks of poor health, live in cramped quarters, with little trust towards any authorities. The transmission of the virus would be wide spread in that environment, imo.

Transmission of the virus would not be limited just to these groups, but also to the "outside" community. I would consider that latter potential, as sufficient reason for vaccination regardless of how one would feel about these groups. A refusal to vaccinate would be akin to cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

What puzzles me is the meatpacking companies requested their workforces be a top priority on the list for being vaccinated, yet the governor says no.  

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
3.1  Baron Creek  replied to  Baron Creek @3    3 years ago

I see now... the governor is playing jrSmiley_122_smiley_image.gif . He was asked if illegal immigrants would be vaccinated and he responded "illegal immigrants are not permitted to work in those place, so it will not be a problem". "wink" "wink"

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Baron Creek @3.1    3 years ago

'wink-wink' would be nice, but I don't think he was 'wink-winking'.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.1    3 years ago

Nebraska governor says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants will NOT be eligible to receive COVID vaccines

• Governor Pete Ricketts was asked whether undocumented workers at meatpacking plants will get coronavirus vaccines at a press conference Monday 
  • 'Illegal immigrants are not permitted to work in those facilities, so I don't think that will be a problem,' Ricketts replied 
  • Contrary to the governor's assertion, undocumented workers account for a significant section of Nebraska's meatpacking industry   
  • Nearly two thirds of workers in the industry are immigrants, according to the Migration Policy Institute
  • Varying estimates suggest that anywhere between 14 percent to almost all of those immigrant workers are undocumented
  • Over 5,200 COVID-19 cases and 22 deaths have been linked to Nebraska plants
  • Conservative and liberal immigration groups alike have voiced support for making vaccines available to undocumented individuals 

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
3.1.3  Baron Creek  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.1    3 years ago

No politician will admit to knowing of anything illegal going on. I remember it being called rubber-necking. Basically seeing something wrong, but quickly turning your head to avoid acknowledging there is a problem. Plausible deniability.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4  Gsquared    3 years ago

Governor Ricketts must be out of his mind.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Gsquared @4    3 years ago

I guess they have to wait for herd immunity. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

This is disappointing, especially when one considers that this fine American patriot:

BB1coiYJ.img?h=360&w=300&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=144&y=221

...purposely sabotaged 500 vaccine doses.

Source

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
5.1  Baron Creek  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    3 years ago

When an advertisement advises us to consult with your pharmacist... are they referring to this guy?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    3 years ago

Member of "The-Q"?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

No surprise here. We've known for a long time that Republicans would like to have an excuse for... exterminating... illegal immigrants.

Vermin.