╌>

Former Attorney General Bill Barr said Trump 'orchestrating a mob' to storm the Capitol was a 'betrayal of his office'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  72 comments

By:   Grace Panetta and Sonam Sheth

Former Attorney General Bill Barr said Trump 'orchestrating a mob' to storm the Capitol was a 'betrayal of his office'
"Orchestrating a mob to pressure Congress is inexcusable," Barr said.

Breaking News from our "Dept Of Rats Deserting A Sinking Ship".

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Attorney General William Barr arrives in the Rose Garden before President Donald Trump introduces 7th U.S. Circuit Court Judge Amy Coney Barrett, 48, as his nominee to the court at the White House September 26, 2020 in Washington, DC.  Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

• Former Attorney General Bill Barr said Thursday that President Trump  inciting a violent insurrection on Capitol Hill  on Wednesday was a "betrayal of his office and supporters." 
  • "Orchestrating a mob to pressure Congress is inexcusable," Barr said in a statement to the Associated Press.
  • The president's supporters converged on Washington, DC on Wednesday to attend a "March for Trump" rally that the president headlined and used to spin nonsense conspiracy theories and urge his backers to march to the Capitol.
  • Shortly after, as Congress was counting states' electoral votes to finalize President-elect Joe Biden's victory,  throngs of violent, pro-Trump insurrectionists breached the Capitol  and forced both houses to go into recess. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Rats.

Deserting.

Sinking.

Ship.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @1    3 years ago

He already deserted it on 12/23 but I guess he's got nothing to lose . . . I wonder if he has a book in the works

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago
  • "Orchestrating a mob to pressure Congress is inexcusable," Barr said

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago
  • The president's supporters converged on Washington, DC on Wednesday to attend a "March for Trump" rally that the president headlined and used to spin nonsense conspiracy theories and urge his backers to march to the Capitol.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

Look what you've enabled consigliere Barr

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7  TᵢG    3 years ago

Many of Trump's supporters continue to make excuses for him.

Anyone who continues to make excuses for Trump at this point has lost all credibility in my eyes.   Well earned too.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @7    3 years ago

They never had any credibility in my eyes to begin with

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    3 years ago

I give people the benefit of the doubt because reality is complicated and nuanced.   But, at this point, there just is no benefit of the doubt.   Trump's behavior post-election has been beyond atrocious.   He has proven beyond any doubt that he is a narcissistic asshole who is willing to inflict substantial damage on this nation as long as he sees a benefit for himself.   It is pathetic and disgusting.   Anyone trying to excuse Trump at this point is, IMO, too skewed by partisanship to be taken seriously.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.1    3 years ago
I give people the benefit of the doubt because reality is complicated and nuanced.

I wish I could say the same.

I agree with everything you've said though.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
7.1.4  Duck Hawk  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.3    3 years ago

Thank You for the clarification. I watched as you aligned yourself with the conservatives on here and hoped you wouldn't buy into their radical ideas.

Welcome back to the land of the sane.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.3    3 years ago

I second that sentiment.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.3    3 years ago

Good on you, Kathleen. It means that you think for yourself and you're not a lemming. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.3    3 years ago

He was president for four years. You can't get out from under your support for that by saying you have changed your mind about him since the election.  Sorry. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.10  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.9    3 years ago

Why not?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.9    3 years ago

That is totally unforgiving. People can change their minds at any point. Given the events of yesterday, was a huge eye opener for many. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.12  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.11    3 years ago
Given the events of yesterday, was a huge eye opener for many.

Agreed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.11    3 years ago

I'm sorry Perrie, I usually agree with 90% of what you say, but unless people admit they were wrong about Trump from the beginning, I'm not "forgiving" them. 

They liked his policies but they didnt like him?   So what?  That man has never for one second been fit to hold office . There are other people in Republican and conservative politics that can (and could have back then) advance the same policies. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.15  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.13    3 years ago

And we all know what opinions are like. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.11    3 years ago
That is totally unforgiving.

Yes, and forgiveness is what we need.

I've never understood how anyone could favor Donald Trump... but the important thing is that they cease to favor him. Let's look forward.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.18  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.14    3 years ago

Then hose other Republicans should have run and/or win the election instead of Trump. But people voted for Trump. Although, I doubt some of them would do so again, if Trump decided to run again.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.19  bbl-1  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.3    3 years ago

What policies?  CHOICE and child separation?  Or just the usual money shifts into the upper economic tiers?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.21  bbl-1  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.20    3 years ago

Answer the question.  What policies?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.23  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.22    3 years ago

Peace and compromise are beautiful ideals.

I will not make peace... will not compromise... with the criminals who sacked the Congress of the United States.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.25  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.24    3 years ago
Some people will not "forgive" any of the people that supported trump...

The past is past. Unless a person has committed a crime, the past is gone. As for "forgiveness"... that is not our earthly province.

It's up to the President's supporters. Like all Americans, they watched people carrying Trump flags and Confederate flags attack the Congress of the United States... as Mr Trump had just encouraged them to do.

So now it's up to the watchers: Was Wednesday just another day in Trumpland, to be continued today (as quite a few NTers have done).... or do they take a different path?

If no crime was committed, there's nothing to forgive.

But of course... "forgive" and "forget" are two different things...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.27  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kathleen @7.1.26    3 years ago

I rarely say what "others" should do.

It does seem logical that anyone who disapproves of the sacking of the Capitol must do some serious thinking about the President who incited that mob to violence.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @7    3 years ago
Many of Trump's supporters continue to make excuses for him. Anyone who continues to make excuses for Trump at this point has lost all credibility in my eyes.   Well earned too.

Well, fortunately we don't have any of those fools on NT!

(/sarc)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  TᵢG @7    3 years ago
Anyone who continues to make excuses for Trump at this point has lost all credibility in my eyes.

They lost it years ago with me.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    3 years ago

tRumps' been betraying his office since January 2016

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Barr ia an asshole, a hypocrite, and a coward.

He served as Trump's lap dog... and now he wants to find a new virginity?

No.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1  Tessylo  replied to  Bob Nelson @10    3 years ago

Exactly, too much, too little, too late, for all of tRump's ass kissers and fixers.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @10    3 years ago

I applaud Barr for taking a stand against Trump.    I would applaud other former Trumpsters who do likewise.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
10.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @10.2    3 years ago
I applaud Barr for taking a stand against Trump.

Except that he is not taking a stand, he simply released a sound byte.  Does anyone here actually think that if Barr were still AG, he would not be defending Trump right now?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @10.2.1    3 years ago

When a political opponent does something right, why not acknowledge it?

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @10.2    3 years ago
I applaud Barr for taking a stand against Trump.    I would applaud other former Trumpsters who do likewise.

Well, of Trump's numerous ass-kissers and other assorted mentally-challenged apologists...the fact is: some continue to defend his incitement to violence, his minimizing the seriousness of Covid, etc. Still trying to defend his hoaxes...

But, OTOH, some have finally begun to see the light.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
10.2.4  Duck Hawk  replied to  TᵢG @10.2    3 years ago
I would applaud other former Trumpsters who do likewise.

I can agree with that statement to a point. I can agree with it when it is from someone who has not bought into the ideals of the "extremists. I'm not sure how I feel about apologies from the "far left." I CAN NOT accept an  reversal from those radicals who supported this action. I'm appalled that ANY veteran would support this, I feel it is a betrayal of the oath we all took. 

Semper Fi- 1/9, 3/1, 3rd SRIG- '84 to '94.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
10.2.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Duck Hawk @10.2.4    3 years ago

We both know there were vets in that mob, and I'm sure they would say to you that they were "protecting democracy"....

As we both know, when one lives one's life inside the propaganda bubble, lies become gospel to the intellectually lazy.

Man do we need to start teaching critical thinking skills again......

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
10.2.6  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.2    3 years ago

When a political opponent does something right, why not acknowledge it?

Without the proper motivation, saying something doesn't make it true.  Barr just doesn't want to be dragged down with Trump.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
10.2.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ozzwald @10.2.6    3 years ago

Barr just doesn't want to be dragged down with Trump.

The undertow from the SS Trump on it's way to the bottom is going to be tremendous....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.8  TᵢG  replied to  Duck Hawk @10.2.4    3 years ago
I CAN NOT accept an  reversal from those radicals who supported this action.

To be clear, you cannot accept a reversal from someone who supported yesterday's mobbing of the capitol.   Correct?   But you can accept a reversal from those who have supported Trump but see this as the last straw for their support and have turned against him?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @10.2.6    3 years ago
Without the proper motivation, saying something doesn't make it true.  Barr just doesn't want to be dragged down with Trump.

Well I give Barr credit for saying the right thing.   I cannot look into his head and do not care to.   What matters to me is that he is not supporting Trump, he is defying him (at least with words).   Good enough.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
10.2.10  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.9    3 years ago
Well I give Barr credit for saying the right thing.

Well, I guess we will just disagree. 

I will give Barr credit for uttering certain words, in a certain order, so that he looks less despicable than he had when he worked for Trump.  But will not give him credit for truly meaning any of those words he uttered.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
10.2.11  Duck Hawk  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.8    3 years ago

That is correct, I can't support the extremist elements. Those who followed Trump and didn't agree with his extremism, I can forgive. Just because someone enables you to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it. Yes people enabled Trump. But he chose to what he did, and HE is should be held responsible for his actions.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @10.2.10    3 years ago
Well, I guess we will just disagree. 

It happens.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
10.2.13  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.12    3 years ago
It happens.

This would be a very boring debate otherwise...jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @10.2.13    3 years ago

What is most interesting (and sickening) are those who continue to give Trump a pass.   Now that is some serious disagreement.   But trying to get them to explain themselves is pointless.   Nothing but mere repeating of the same tired claims ('stolen election, ...'), deflection, equivocation and other tactics.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
10.2.15  FLYNAVY1  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.14    3 years ago

Nothing but mere repeating of the same tired claims ('stolen election, ...')....

It does get monotonous does it not...?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
10.2.16  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.14    3 years ago
What is most interesting (and sickening) are those who continue to give Trump a pass.

Quotation-Edmund-Burke-The-only-thing-necessary-for-the-triumph-of-evil-is-4-17-35.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @10.2.10    3 years ago

I" will give Barr credit for uttering certain words, in a certain order, so that he looks less despicable than he had when he worked for Trump.  But will not give him credit for truly meaning any of those words he uttered."

Just like tRump now calling for unity and a smooth transition of power after inciting and fueling the shitshow Wednesday.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
10.2.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @10.2.17    3 years ago
Just like tRump now calling for unity and a smooth transition of power after inciting and fueling the shitshow Wednesday.

Now, for probably the 1st time ever, Trump is realizing there are consequences to his actions.  Unfortunately criminal charges are unlikely, but removal from office and possible civil suits are very real.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Kettle/Pot.  Barr betrayed his position when he stopped being the People's AG and became Trump's kiss ass toadie.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11    3 years ago

I agree, he should have been doing 'right' from the beginning. . .instead of being tRump's personal attorney/fixer. . . 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @11.1    3 years ago

Yep.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
11.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @11.1    3 years ago

He never would have qualified for the position if he believed in the rule of law through and through.  Ethics.... Morals..... well those are for someone other than a Trump AG.

The one that really gets me is Pompeo.  A graduate of West Point....... I guess the Honor Code got put away with the cadet uniform.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @11.1.2    3 years ago
"He never would have qualified for the position if he believed in the rule of law through and through.  Ethics.... Morals..... well those are for someone other than a Trump AG."

Of course not, the summary to Mueller's report was Barr's resume

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @11.1.2    3 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, anyone willingly associating with tRump, disqualifies as a decent human being.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12  bbl-1    3 years ago

Absolutely imperative to take Barr at his word that Trump's actions were, "A betrayal of his office."

After all, Barr is an expert and knows firsthand the what's, why's and how's to the procedures of 'betrayal of office'.