╌>

Trump Is Not A Hitler, But He Showed Some Troubling Similarities Yesterday (Yes, we are going there)

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  52 comments

Trump Is Not A Hitler, But He Showed Some Troubling Similarities Yesterday (Yes, we are going there)

I think this was the most hauntingly troubling thing Trump said or wrote yesterday. This was late in the afternoon, after the Trump supporters had been inside the capitol for hours. 

These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!

That short message will go down in infamy, along with his speech at the pre-riot rally at the Ellipse.  These are the sentiments of a wannabe dictator like we have seen in the Phillipines or in Africa or some other far flung , troubled, land. The flowery language , frankly, sounds like something Hitler might have said as he tried to rouse his followers to go to "the capitol" and seize power at the time of the infamous Beer Hall Putsch in 1923. Hitler exhorted his ragtag followers to march with him to the seat of government in Munich, Bavaria and seize power.  Yesterday Trump exhorted his followers to march with him to the Capitol and fight for his election victory because those who show "weakness" do not win. 

a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long.

Sounds exactly like what Hitler might have said to his compatriots in the aftermath of WWI when Germany surrendered and Hitler and others similar claimed victory had been stolen from them by "traitors" in their national government. Sounds exactly like what a Hitler might have said. 

"Remember this day forever!"

more sentimental instigating by the wannabe dictator to his followers. Hitler used the defeat at the Beer hall Putsch as a spur in later years to push his followers to greater energy and confrontation with the powers in place in Germany post WWI, and I'm sure he said "Remember this day forever!"  or something just like it, many times during his rise to absolute power. 

I know you are not supposed to compare anyone to Hitler , and it is troubling to go there, but it is what it is. I dont think Trump would ever start a world war or commit genocide of a people, or even build concentration camps. But he is Hitler-ish in his style. 

He stood on a stage at that rally (and later in his tweets) and professed his grievances and told his mob of followers that action must be taken and weakness must not be shown and this was a day to remember forever. 

Case closed. 

Trump-hitler.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

At long last, the similarities are there.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

They've been there all along, why else would the neo-Nazi's in America rally to him so readily.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2  Drakkonis  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
At long last, the similarities are there.

Interesting that you phrase it this way, implying all the previous Hitler accusations employed over the last several years were not legitimate. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that, however. I just thought the phrasing was strange. 

In any case, congrats on posting something I more or less agree with. I didn't watch much of Trump's speech yesterday, and I didn't hear the "infamous phrase" but even so, what I did hear seemed reminiscent of Hitler's speeches. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2    3 years ago

I hesitate to compare Trump to Hitler for a few reasons (the scale of the damage being the most obvious one) , mainly because Trump has not ordered the deaths of millions of people, but I think yesterday was a fairly dramatic instance where there is some comparison. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

He might not have ordered the deaths, but he is responsible for the deaths of what is sure to be in the millions.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago
I hesitate to compare Trump to Hitler for a few reasons (the scale of the damage being the most obvious one)

Hitler first appeared on the Weimar political stage in the early 1920s. Would you have dismissed Hitler as not having done much, in 1929?

If you wait to see "just how bad they are"... your lesson may be kinda harsh...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

I think it's safe to do so. Some people today still admire and love Hitler

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.2.3    3 years ago

In his heart he may wish he was Hitler, but I dont think it is completely appropriate to compare some one who committed mass genocide to someone that didnt. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago
mainly because Trump has not ordered the deaths of millions of people

As I've said here many times before, Trump cannot be compared to what Hitler became by the end of his regime, but he can rightly be compared to who Hitler was during his rise to power and the first few years when he was merely a populist mouth piece of aggrieved bigoted Germans who placed the blame for all of Germany's problems on the minorities and immigrants among them. He too proclaimed he would "Make Germany Great Again" and at the time he made those early speeches he hadn't yet murdered 6 million Jews and the early plans were to just round them up and send them out of Germany "back to where they came from" supposedly. It was only after rounding them up and having no where to ship them that wasn't a country fighting German expansion that they started their extermination plans. If Trump had been allowed to remain in power much longer I have no doubt he would have been heading down the same path eventually and after not knowing what to do with the 11 million undocumented immigrants or the progressives BLM protesters rounded up and kept in internment camps he and the fascist white supremacists who surround him may very well have started considering euthanizing them on a mass scale. It's often what authoritarians do with inconvenient dissenters or "problem" populaces getting in the way of their plans. We saw it again not so long ago with Slobodan Milosevic and the genocide of ethnic Albanians.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.7  evilone  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.6    3 years ago

And now Trump's main propaganda tools have been closed off to him. At least for the short term he's pariah. Cruz, Hawley, Gaetz and company should be censored and stripped of any committee positions. The Republican Party should make a big show of it with promises to primary them in their next election. They won't, but they really, really should.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2    3 years ago

They absolutely share many of the same traits and opinions. Lucky for us Trump is a lot dumber and America isn't quite where Germany was in the 1930s.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago
I hesitate to compare Trump to Hitler for a few reasons (the scale of the damage being the most obvious one) , mainly because Trump has not ordered the deaths of millions of people, but I think yesterday was a fairly dramatic instance where there is some comparison. 

We are talking 1920/30s Hitler, not 1940s Hitler. Honestly though, if Trump somehow attained the level of power that Adolf Hitler did would you really be shocked to find certain groups of people losing their rights and eventually disappearing? 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2.9    3 years ago
...  if Trump somehow attained the level of power that Adolf Hitler did would you really be shocked to find certain groups of people losing their rights and eventually disappearing? 

That's the question, isn't it? And we already have the answer: people were abducted by unidentified federal agents,in Portland last summer.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2  Gsquared    3 years ago

Here are a few of the people Trump said he loves.  "We love you, you're very special."

The back of his Camp Auschwitz hoodies says "Staff".

384     384

This photo was from Twitter:  "I asked these guys if Civil War was what they wanted.  'Yes', they replied."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @2    3 years ago

These are truly horrible people.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    3 years ago

We're probably lucky there wasnt more violence yesterday. I think some of his followers get a little case of cold feet when the rubber meets the road. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago

I have no way of knowing, but is the Nazi with the phone an organizer?  It looks like he could be co-ordinating activities.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    3 years ago

They were looking to burn down the Reichstag yesterday.......

I've said it many times up to now.  When recently living in Germany, many of our German neighbors saw many parallels between the rise of Hitler and Trump.....  Just saying!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.3    3 years ago

If they didn't live through those years they probably had it drilled into their heads in school because Germany never wants to repeat that insanity

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.3    3 years ago
They were looking to burn down the Reichstag yesterday.......

Yep. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.2    3 years ago

He looks like he could be carrying a battery pack in the front pocket of his hoodie. He may have a lot of phone calls to make hence the battery pack

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Gsquared  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.6    3 years ago
He may have a lot of phone calls to make

As part of his insurrection co-ordination efforts.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Suz @2.1.8    3 years ago

I spent some time in Germany - admittedly a long time ago. I remember several TV shows with Reich backdrops. Maybe things have changed...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Suz @2.1.8    3 years ago

I said "probably". Thanks for the correction

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Good analogy using the Beer Hall Putsch and what happened yesterday. Didn't trmp once say he had a copy of Mein Kempf on his bed side table? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    3 years ago
Didn't trmp once say he had a copy of Mein Kempf on his bed side table? 

I believe that comment is attributed to his first wife Ivana. It is said she made the comment at  or in reference to their divorce proceedings. I dont know if it is true

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago

It probably is.  But considering how stupid he is, there is a companion book....Mein Kempf For Dummies.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

yer on a roll today

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    3 years ago

Smoked me a fat one.jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.1    3 years ago

Oh man, you read my mind, I meant to say that earlier - about Mein Kampf for Dummies - no way would tRump have ever read ALL THOSE WORDS.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Couple more weeks and,  thankfully, he will be gone.

Not so for Trumpism..

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

What an extremely ugly bloated monster tRump has created, it really resembles himself, an extremely ugly bloated monster

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    3 years ago

As I was watching everything happen on CNN last night I thought of all the movies that will made about this administration. There's enough material for drama, comedies, and horror

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    3 years ago

Alec Baldwin should play Trump in all of them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.2    3 years ago

At least the comedies and the horror ones

Christian Bale made an excellent Dick Cheney...they should get him to do trmp

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.3    3 years ago

The Melania impersonator Stephen Colbert uses should get the part of First Lady.  She is wonderful.  Okay NT's, lets start a list of who should play who.  Only one could do Bernie Sanders justice...Larry David.  I read that they are cousins.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.4    3 years ago

I love her (and Stephen)!  She is hilarious!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.4    3 years ago

Larry David is perfect as Bernie!  

Have you seen Kate McKinnon on SNL do Elizabeth Warren?  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    3 years ago

Kate is awesome.  But my fav so far is Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer complete with a motorized podium.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Tessylo  replied to    3 years ago

OMG I just love her too!  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.4    3 years ago

Can't play..... This stuff is still too serious for me and the fat lady is only in the process of clearing her throat.

20JAN21 can't get here soon enough, and the cleanup in aisle 46 is going to take some time.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.10    3 years ago

Sometimes you have to laugh, Fly, just to keep the insanity at bay

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    3 years ago

I couldn't find that but this is a good one.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @6    3 years ago

You made my day with both clips.jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

At this point it appears that one of the only differences between Trump and Hitler is Trump’s inability to grow facial hair.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     3 years ago

Trump isn't just a bad person, he's a damn traitor to our great country. Most Republicans have enabled the crazy bastard for 5 years and on January 6th some saw the damage he has caused to our country. Sadly, some of the Republicans voted against certifying Biden as president even after the insurrection in which they cowered hoping to save their lives. To me that is unforgivable. 

This is a crazy person who is set on destroying our country, if the frickin' Republicans can't see that now they are not Americans.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @9    3 years ago

My own Psych101 theory on the man is that he is deeply asocial, going back to his father's abuse.

He takes pleasure in breaking things. He breaks the law. He breaks traditions. He breaks treaties. He breaks people.

His finest achievement was breaking the logjam in the Middle East.