╌>

BLM protests vs pro-Trump rioters: Pictures show the stark difference in police response

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

BLM protests vs pro-Trump rioters: Pictures show the stark difference in police response

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rachel Brodsky
Wed, January 6, 2021, 9:36 PM EST

c83d069a72e1a54383e08b02fb11aa64

Anti-racism protesters are arrested over the summer in New York City

(Getty Images)

Images shared on social media highlighted the stark divide between law enforcement’s response to last summer's Black Lives Matter protests, and Wednesday’s right-wing rioters who stormed the   US Capitol .

Many on   Twitter   were quick to point out how differently law enforcement behaved over the summer, deploying rubber bullets and tear gas in many instances across the country. On Wednesday, the police response in Washington, DC, appeared more muted.

"The police suddenly very hesitant to use their weapons," wrote one Twitter user next to a violent video of rioters pushing and shoving their way into the Capitol.

As a reminder, the Black Lives Matter protests that unfurled across the US over the summer following the police killing of George Floyd became markedly more violent, with mass arrests and use of tear gas and rubber bullets by law enforcement.

be6119eb3503ca4b3f1fc542ca341640

A BLM protestor is detained while bleeding from the head in downtown Louisville, on September 23, 2020

AFP via Getty Images

363a6106d7bc6acd95a9eb6a6fed3771

BLM protesters are lined up and arrested in New York City

AFP via Getty Images

d6dc5abe14072f99c897f3e98713d34e

Police officers face-off with BLM protestors marching in downtown Louisville

AFP via Getty Images

Today’s demonstration, which turned violent far more quickly, with pro-Trump rioters breaking in to Congress and causing the Federal building to go into lockdown, seemingly did not inspire the same response from law enforcement, even as Trump supporters vandalized Federal property.

One officer could even be seen posing for a selfie with one of the rioters.

6f05b5855698aee5b9fec8c1d8d65019

Police look on as a Trump supporter approaches the US Capitol

AFP via Getty Images

e6729e3b8b4fdd44c2ba6de9ba79dbfa

Trump supporters confront police and security forces at the US Capitol

AFP via Getty Images

0d67001953321d38c8f23f502e2c35f6

A group of pro-Trump protesters face-off against Capitol police

Getty Images

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago
Today’s demonstration, which turned violent far more quickly, with pro-Trump rioters breaking in to Congress and causing the Federal building to go into lockdown, seemingly did not inspire the same response from law enforcement, even as Trump supporters vandalized Federal property.

One officer could even be seen posing for a selfie with one of the rioters.

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    3 years ago

With the many now calling for an investigation into the LE planning going into yesterday's activities AND now that Dems have a Congressional advantage they might be able to tie federal funds to police reform like they've wanted to for awhile. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  evilone @2    3 years ago
With the many now calling for an investigation into the LE planning going into yesterday's activities

IMO the leadership of the capitol police needs to be fired. They failed in spectacular fashion at something that should be second nature to them at this point. They appear to have been completely unprepared for an event that had been advertised for over a week, and unwilling to act in a timely fashion even as their own officers were being attacked and injured. If I were an officer with the CP I would have no faith in our leadership and demand they resign. What a fucking embarrassment. 

And the officers that moved barricades and let those cocksuckers in and were taking selfies? Fire their fucking asses too for a complete dereliction of duty. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.1  evilone  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    3 years ago
IMO the leadership of the capitol police needs to be fired.

I forget which Dem was quoted in an article I read at lunch time, but he's the head of the committee that oversees Capital Police funding.... He's pretty adamant there will me many people looking for work soon.

If I were an officer with the CP I would...

Be taking selfies with rioters?
original

What a fucking embarrassment. 

No arguments there!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    3 years ago

Look at the danger that tRump put them all in including these officers.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Unlike the left wing apologists for mobs like Antifa and BLM, most patriotic right wingers don't have a long standing history of violence. Yesterdays riots were caused by far right fringe groups

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago
Pictures show the stark difference in police response

These pictures don't show anything like what the author claims they do. How could they? It's easy to find a snapshot of a cop either doing something violent or not.

Many on  Twitter  were quick to point out how differently law enforcement behaved over the summer, deploying rubber bullets and tear gas in many instances across the country. On Wednesday, the police response in Washington, DC, appeared more muted.

Well, those people are wrong. Cops did use tear gas in DC.

Speaking of pictures, here's a picture of Ashli Babbitt

erkvwmiucaayrf1_custom-cd31afe6ae57df50deb9f0abb32cf44d7439dd05-s600-c85.jpeg

Ashli was a veteran of the United States Air Force. She served from 2004 to 2008 on active duty, as a reserve from 2008 to 2010, and with the Air National Guard from 2010 to 2016. She was deployed to Iraq multiple times. 

Capitol police shot her in the neck yesterday. So don't try to sell me on the idea that cops are soft on Trump supporters.

Here's some more pictures of the cops going easy (/s) on the Trump mob.

2021-01-06t201430z_665429035_mt1sipa0006lnfuz_rtrmadp_3_custom-0e3a8f0026e21bbcca3fa8f937631c019195a5c3-s1600-c85.jpg

gettyimages-1230465307-b24d23f49ff8fd12d16c08ea233cdcefad57e8cb-s1600-c85.jpg

capitol-building.jpg?w=790&f=0e54c1c03e8743251bb5525ba1e5a278

Perhaps the most telling picture would be the one we would take now, or the one we could have taken as night fell in DC: that of a Capitol building devoid of protesters. They were repelled in just a few hours by police, as they should have been. Contrast this with the daily pictures of protestors who remained in place all over the country throughout the summer and fall because police were ordered to leave them alone.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

What troubles me about this is that the threat was obvious, encouraged by the POTUS, the protesters/rioters far outnumbered the capital police force, so taking into consideration the OBVIOUS need for additional support, WHY WAS THERE NONE?

My brother sent me an email with this today.  I never read Breitbart, but what he sent me made me wonder...

Karen McCormick wrote this on the Breitbart post about an hour ago.
“The Capitol building, arguably one of the most securely protected buildings in the nation. Snipers on the buildings around it. Funny how some “protesters” so easily breached all layers of security today. Able to get into the gallery for a pic. Able to get into Pelosi’s office for a pic. Able to get right up behind the seat Pence uses and to get by the VP’s secret service agents? Do you really believe anyone could so easily get into that chamber? If they could then that security team should certainly lose their job. Perhaps, though, they were ALLOWED in. Get curious. Step back from the drama being perpetuated and ask questions. Don’t just take in what the media is feeding you. Think about it critically. If you’ve ever been to DC you’ve seen the guards, the snipers, the metal detectors on just a “regular” day.”
Maybe more than just a few quesitons should be asked.