╌>

Pelosi and Schumer call for Trump's immediate removal from office for 'insurrection'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  56 comments

By:   Jacob Pramuk (MSN)

Pelosi and Schumer call for Trump's immediate removal from office for 'insurrection'
Both Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi said President Trump incited an "insurrection" against the country.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

AA1QzTx.img?h=24&w=24&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&f=png Pelosi and Schumer call for Trump's immediate removal from office for 'insurrection'

• Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for President Donald Trump's removal.
  • Both Democrats said the president incited an "insurrection" against the country.
  • Schumer said that if Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet do not move to invoke the 25th Amendment, Congress should reconvene to impeach Trump.
  • Pelosi said Congress "may be prepared" to impeach him.
  • A mob spurred by the president's election conspiracy theories overran the Capitol as Congress counted Joe Biden's Electoral College victory.

e151e5.gif © Provided by CNBC U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) blows a kiss to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi as he and Senator Mitch McConnell arrive for a joint session to certify the 2020 election results, inside the House Chamber on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., January 6, 2021.

The top Democrats in Congress called for President Donald Trump 's removal Thursday, a day after a mob spurred by the president overran the Capitol as lawmakers tallied President-elect Joe Biden 's presidential win.

Both Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer , D-N.Y., and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., called on Vice President Mike Pence and Trump's Cabinet to remove the president from office by invoking the 25th Amendment. Both said they could move forward with impeachment if the vice president and secretaries do not act.

In a statement earlier Thursday, Schumer said Congress "should reconvene to impeach the president" if Pence and the Cabinet do not invoke the 25th Amendment. Pelosi said lawmakers "may be prepared" to take the step if executive branch officials do not try to remove him. She added that the move would have "overwhelming" support within her caucus.

Both Democratic leaders said Trump could endanger the country even in the two weeks he has left in office.

"Each and every one of those days is a threat to democracy," Schumer told reporters Thursday afternoon outside his New York City office. "The quickest and most effective way to remove this president from office is to invoke the 25 Amendment."

Schumer and Pelosi said Trump incited an "insurrection" against the country. The speaker added that "any day can be a horror show for America" as long as Trump remains in office.

e151e5.gif © Provided by CNBC US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California, holds her weekly press conference at the US Capitol on January 7, 2021, in Washington, DC.

Biden will become president on Jan. 20 after Trump for months spouted conspiracy theories that widespread election fraud cost him a second term in office. More lawmakers have warned that another two weeks of Trump's presidency could further erode American democracy or lead to more loss of life after four people died during the Capitol attack Wednesday.

More than 100 lawmakers have called for the president's removal through the 25th Amendment, impeachment or resignation, according to an NBC News tally. Only one of them — Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois — is a Republican.

Congress adjourned for at least the rest of the week after it counted Biden's electoral victory early Thursday. It is unclear if either chamber would return in time to vote to remove the president in the 13 days before the inauguration. While Schumer's Democrats will control the Senate in coming weeks after Senators-elect Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff of Georgia take office, Republicans will hold the chamber until they are sworn in.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has not weighed in on whether to expel the president after the Capitol breach. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Schumer's statement.

Biden also said Thursday that he would not address the question of invoking the 25th Amendment.

e151e5.gif © Provided by CNBC Vice President Mike Pence presides over a Joint session of Congress to certify the 2020 Electoral College results after supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol earlier in the day on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on January 6, 2020.

Under the 25th Amendment, Vice President Mike Pence and a majority of the Cabinet can remove Trump. The president could contest the move. Congress would then need to vote with a two-thirds majority to push him out of office.

Informal staff discussions about invoking the 25th Amendment have taken place in the White House, NBC News reported. It is unclear whether the talks have gone up to Cabinet secretaries or Pence.

The Democratic-held House impeached Trump in December 2019 in part because the president pushed Ukraine to investigate the Biden family during the presidential campaign. The GOP-controlled Senate voted against removing him from office last year. Among Republicans, only Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah voted to convict the president.

House Democrats drafted articles of impeachment after the breach of the Capitol. In a statement after she drew up articles on Wednesday, Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., said Trump "should be impeached and removed from office for his open sedition" after what she called a "coup attempt."

It is unclear whether the Senate would have the two-thirds support needed to remove Trump from office now. Some of his GOP allies started to distance themselves from him after he helped to fuel the attack on the Capitol.

"All I can say is count me out. Enough is enough," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said on the Senate floor after the government regained control of the Capitol.

— CNBC's Dan Mangan contributed to this report

Subscribe to CNBC on YouTube.

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Get 'er done. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

The Trump presidency is like a kamikaze plane that was shot down before it hit the ship but still caused damage from it's flaming wreckage. 

He needs to be officially removed as a solemn warning to future reality tv show star clowns who want to start a personality cult and  be dictator. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    3 years ago

The right is still pushing the conspiracy theory that all of the people that stormed the capital building were AntiFa and BLM people... I guess Don Jr. is an AntiFa supporter..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @3    3 years ago

Ha !

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    3 years ago

As usual, the lefties overreact. Nothing more will be gained by yet another arrogant display of faux outrage and"holier-than-thou" grandstanding by those two simpletons

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago
As usual, the lefties overreact.

Wow Greg.  When BLM was peacefully protesting you were going crazy about the crimes and expecting punishment to be dealt out. 

When Trump wanted his bible photo op, you were standing up for Barr gassing the peaceful protesters so Trump could get to the church.

When it is MAGA breaking into the Capitol building disrupting congress, and causing 4 deaths, over a dozen police officers injured, and over 50 arrested (so far), you think it is an over reaction?

Somebody needs to re-evaluate their priorities, and it's not the Democrats (liberals).

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

Yet two years ago those "simpletons" were merely a Congresswoman and a Senator butt one is now The Speaker of the US House of Representatives and the other is fixing to be the Majority Leader of the US Senate, again. Not too bad for mere simpletons...

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3  Sunshine  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

They need to keep feeding red meat to their base.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sunshine @4.3    3 years ago

vs the mushroom compost that Trump, Fox, Breitbart and Newsmax keep shoveling on their followers....?  Do tell..!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.3.1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.3  Sunshine  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.3.1    3 years ago
vs the mushroom compost that Trump,

Haha.. Democrats are just warming up.  Hold on to your panties [[deleted]] the looney's have taken over the asylum called [Congress..deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.3.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.3    3 years ago

looney's have taken over the asylum called Congress

And I'm betting that you think Louie Gohmert should be up for a Nobel.....

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.3.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to    3 years ago

...Peas prize....  You know, like from Birdseye.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.3.8  FLYNAVY1  replied to    3 years ago

Whirled Peas.... Isn't that what they sever with bangers in London?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.3.9  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.3    3 years ago
Haha.. Democrats are just warming up.

I love the, "Democrats are going to do things", after the republicans, "actually did something", defense. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

I agree, they need to not grandstand. Stop talking Democrats and start the impeachment process. Like right now. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.4    3 years ago

absofuckinglutely!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.4.2  Krishna  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.4    3 years ago

There's not enough time for impeachment, and in any even the Senate won't vote to impeach.

And Pence and the cabinet won't remove him.(Pence has already stated he'd oppose it).

About anything that has any chance of passing is a motion to Censure, which is a good idea but really pretty mild.

The best we can do is really just to hope for the best, hope that he won't do anything too crazy. (Or prayer, if you're into that sort of thing).

There's only a short time left 'till Biden's inaugurated...hopefully he can't do anything too destructive in that time.

(Maybe prayer will work...who knows?)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.5  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

So you are claiming fake outrage over the POTUS attempting a coup and having his supporters attack the US Capital? 

As I recall, you were pretty pissed about people kneeling during the national anthem....but a coup attempt, "fake outrage".

Good talk. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

Pretending that a drama like the assault on the Capitol is banal is typical fascist agitprop.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

Yes, please. Let's waste even more time, money, and mental energy on this bullshit. /s

This will be over in two weeks. No one needs more political posturing. These people aren't speaking truth to power or fighting for what's right. They're masturbating in front of America. How about figuring out how to get vaccines in people's arms a little faster? How about finding ways to get the country back on track? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago

You have low balled Trump's damage to this country from day one. 

Impeaching Trump would not be done to remove him from office, it would be done to have his misdeeds enshrined in our history. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 years ago
You have low balled Trump's damage to this country from day one. 

blah blah blah whine whine whine. That's all anyone hears when you go personal like this.

Impeaching Trump would not be done to remove him from office, it would be done to have his misdeeds enshrined in our history. 

Unlike your umpteenth personal attack on me, that's at least an interesting thought. However, as I indicated, I think there is more pressing business for our Congress than politically posturing for posterity.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    3 years ago

I dont give a damn what you think. If we ranked Trump enablers on this forum your name would be up near the top. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    3 years ago
I dont give a damn what you think.

Yeah, well I don't care much about what you think either, so we're even. Maybe if you treated people who disagree with you with a little common respect, that might change.

If we ranked Trump enablers on this forum your name would be up near the top. 

As would yours if we were making a list of intolerant, rude posters.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago
This will be over in two weeks.

Fuck that. You are advocating he be let off scott free. Of course you have always treated him like he is a 3 year old who doesn't understand what he is doing.

No one needs more political posturing.

No posturing, remove him from office now and press criminal charges for inciting a riot at the very least. 

These people aren't speaking truth to power or fighting for what's right. They're masturbating in front of America.

Pelosi needs to bring the House back and push through articles of impeachment, full stop. Otherwise I agree with you and this next admin/congress will be off to a piss poor start.

How about figuring out how to get vaccines in people's arms a little faster? How about finding ways to get the country back on track? 

They can do both. Or they better be able to. And yes, as usual the democrats need to come in and clean up the mess left by the GOP.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2.1  evilone  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.2    3 years ago
as usual the democrats need to come in and clean up the mess left by the GOP.

Dems have a hard time cleaning up their own messes. It's time they get on with business and stop coddling the AOCs of the Party for votes or they are going to have the same mess the Republicans have with the likes of Hawley and Gaetz.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.2    3 years ago
You are advocating he be let off scott free.

Nope. Let's see, where did I say that? Oh yeah! Nowhere.

Of course you have always treated him like he is a 3 year old who doesn't understand what he is doing.

Actually, I think that's pretty accurate. You really want to disagree with that?

No posturing, remove him from office now and press criminal charges for inciting a riot at the very least. 

They can press charges without jerking off through another impeachment event. Just wait two weeks.

By the way, I think the case for incitement is a poor one. The legal standard is narrowly and specifically defined so as to protect often fiery political speech.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @5.2.2    3 years ago
Yes, please. Let's waste even more time, money, and mental energy on this bullshit. /s This will be over in two weeks.

Right there you are saying no one should do anything.

Actually, I think that's pretty accurate. You really want to disagree with that?

No, I don't disagree, that is why I said it. You treat a grown ass man like a child, excusing everything he does and it is fucking pathetic.

They can press charges without jerking off through another impeachment event. Just wait two weeks.

Do both.

By the way, I think the case for incitement is a poor one.

Of course you, he just didn't understand what he was saying right?

The legal standard is narrowly and specifically defined so as to protect often fiery political speech.

Inciting a riot any anything else he can be charged with. I don't even care if he gets convicted, SOMETHING needs to happen. This cannot just be swept under the rug.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.2.3    3 years ago
Right there you are saying no one should do anything.

So if I don't think we should do the exact thing you want to do, it means I think we should do nothing? There is some logic!

You treat a grown ass man like a child, excusing everything he does 

I don't excuse everything he does. I don't even excuse everything a real child does.

and it is fucking pathetic.

Your false accusations and attacks are what is pathetic. Your need to demonize me because I don't agree with you 100% is pathetic.

Of course you, he just didn't understand what he was saying right?

I understand the law on incitement and I don't just throw words like that around without understanding what they mean.

This cannot just be swept under the rug.

It's not being swept under the rug. Also, it only happened yesterday. Do you want justice this fast when other people do wrong, or only for the people you don't like?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.2.3    3 years ago
This cannot just be swept under the rug.

If Pence has his way it will be. However, the majority of true American patriots will not allow that to happen. It will NEVER be forgotten, nor simply swept under the rug. Not now, not ever. 

However, how it is dealt with is something unknown at this point. But, rest assured that once that decision has been made by the appropriate authorities it will be heard loud and clear. Just give them the time they need to make the right decisions and proper action is determined. it may not all happen at the same time, so patience is needed to allow them time to do what is required.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.3  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago

I understand the symbolic nature of removing Trump from office, but it's too little too late, so I tend to agree with you on all points. I do think it's high time more moderates start speaking truth to the partisan rabble rousing propagandists. I'm done. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  evilone @5.3    3 years ago
I understand the symbolic nature of removing Trump from office, but it's too little too late

No, it's not.  The closer to the 20th it gets, the more desperate he gets.  The question is, will Trump get desperate enough to start a war with Iran, and use that as an excuse to TRY to block Biden's Presidency?

Trump is definitely stupid enough to think it would work.

Trump seems to have one thought in his mind.  If he can't have America, nobody will.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.3.2  evilone  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.1    3 years ago
The question is, will Trump get desperate enough to start a war with Iran, and use that as an excuse to TRY to block Biden's Presidency?

First, this is predicated on anyone at the Pentagon following such an order to attack another country without direct provocation. A more likely scenario is he gives the order and Pentagon officials start calling their Congressional contacts and Trump is frog marched into Congress under armed guard the next day. 

Second, everyone else would have to capitulate with any attempt to block Biden's transition. Many (not all of course) of Trump's water carriers in Congress have cut ties with him after yesterday. An act of war would put Trump and anyone carrying out those orders directly in a deep hole for life. Desperation or not it could be literal suicide.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.3.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.1    3 years ago
The question is, will Trump get desperate enough to start a war with Iran, and use that as an excuse to TRY to block Biden's Presidency?

I don't think the Military will allow that to happen. While Iran is doing some sabre rattling at this point, they are not stupid either. 

My personal take on it is that, since Trump instigated the treasonist attack on the Capitol bldg which caused great damage to the bldg and put the lawmaker's lives at risk, Trump and his armed treasonists are under the microscope and would not be so slow at taking action against any movement from them that could result in further attacks, as well as the military. 

As Trump still has access to the nuclear button, it would be best to remove him from any access to it at this point, if they haven't already, or simply remove him from office before he can make things even worse for America and its people. 

Right now I would not trust Trump, his spawn, his allies or his supporters as far as I can spit, which at the moment is down my chin. 

And I just can't see the government or the Military trusting Trump at this point in any way, or those he can rely on to do his dirty work for him and take the blame like he did his supporters yesterday.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.3.4  Snuffy  replied to  Raven Wing @5.3.3    3 years ago
since Trump instigated the treasonist attack on the Capitol bldg which caused great damage to the bldg and put the lawmaker's lives at risk

Lawmakers were definitely at risk, you can't put elderly people (and lets be honest, most of them are elderly and are frail as older bodies tend to be) and rioters together and expect safety.  And Trump will need to answer for what he did, but the definition for treason is fairly narrowly defined so not sure that label would work.  But have you a link to the damage?  You mentioned great damage, all I have seen is the pictures on CNN which tbh don't really show significant damage. About the worst they show are broken windows and a kicked in door as well as a bunch of fire extinguishers that appear to have been discharged,  as well as papers tossed about an they mention a couple of Pelosi signs damaged. 

As Trump still has access to the nuclear button

It's not like he can push the button and that physically launches missiles,  that action goes thru the military so the chance of him actually having missiles launched is very low  As far as I know, there's no way to limit the powers of the president like that, either he is the president with full access to all presidential tools and methods or he is not the president,  and that has to include the ability to respond to a nuclear attack..

The process to remove him from office takes time, I'm not sure there is enough time for any action (impeachment or the 25th Amendment) could be completed. Several people have resigned their positions at the WH including so far one cabinet member. If more people go to leave that might "convince" Trump that he should resign to save face, but I don't know if he would see it that way or not. Even the threat of charges for inciting a riot might be hard to get thru legally as the legal standard is tightly defined for political speech. The best way may be for those closest to him to convince him to resign and have Pence issue a pardon for him,  ala Nixon & Ford.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.3.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Raven Wing @5.3.3    3 years ago
I don't think the Military will allow that to happen.

I would prefer more assurance than what anybody "thinks" won't happen.

Trump and his armed treasonists are under the microscope and would not be so slow at taking action against any movement from them that could result in further attacks, as well as the military. 

You're crediting Trump with more intelligence than I do.

As Trump still has access to the nuclear button, it would be best to remove him from any access to it at this point, if they haven't already, or simply remove him from office before he can make things even worse for America and its people. 

Exactly!

And I just can't see the government or the Military trusting Trump at this point in any way, or those he can rely on to do his dirty work for him and take the blame like he did his supporters yesterday.

The military follows the chain of command.  Nothing guarantees that the general in charge would not run with that order.  Remember not all military leaders are created equal...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.1    3 years ago
will Trump get desperate enough to start a war with Iran, and use that as an excuse to TRY to block Biden's Presidency?

I had thought about that, but I am confident the Sec Def would ignore such an order, and even if he passed it along or Trump issued it publicly, the Chiefs of Staff and senior military commanders would refuse to follow it. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.3.7  Snuffy  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.5    3 years ago
The military follows the chain of command.  Nothing guarantees that the general in charge would not run with that order

Sorry no.  The defense that they had to follow orders died at Nuremberg. The American Military is a group of professional solders who would not follow an illegal order. Especially after yesterday.

There's a huge difference between following orders you know to be illegal and standing in front of a camera spouting whatever you think needs to be said so that  you remain in the good graces of someone. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.3.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @5.3    3 years ago

There are two good reasons to remove him even if there is only two weeks to go.

1.  The 25th would insure that he can never run for office again.

2.  They change the codes to the nuclear football.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.3.9  Sunshine  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.3.8    3 years ago

Gold codes are changed daily.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.3.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.5    3 years ago
I would prefer more assurance than what anybody "thinks" won't happen

Expressing my own thoughts and/or opinions is a right members have here on NT, and I exercised that right. That you find it unacceptable is your right. So now we have both taken advantage of our own right.

And no, I am not crediting Trump with more average intelligence, as he is very stupid, and that applies to the way he acts and what he says.

However, he is clever and very well trained early on by his Father in how to use people for his own gain, then when they are no more use to him, dishonor them and throw them under the bus, or they are made to be the blame for his own actions, or lack of them. In that, he is very smart.

JMOO

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.3.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Raven Wing @5.3.10    3 years ago
Expressing my own thoughts and/or opinions is a right members have here on NT, and I exercised that right.

Never said otherwise.

That you find it unacceptable is your right.

Never thought your statement was unacceptable, I just have a different opinion.

So now we have both taken advantage of our own right.

Yes, although you seem a little offended that I have a different opinion.  Never meant insult, simple difference of opinion.

And no, I am not crediting Trump with more average intelligence, as he is very stupid, and that applies to the way he acts and what he says.

Then we agree.

However, he is clever and very well trained early on by his Father in how to use people for his own gain

And here we disagree.  His cons are stupid and easily seen through for anyone willing to look.  He has just found a crowd that refuses to look.

then when they are no more use to him, dishonor them and throw them under the bus, or they are made to be the blame for his own actions, or lack of them. In that, he is very smart.

Burning your own bridges is never considered smart.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.4  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago
How about figuring out how to get vaccines in people's arms a little faster?

Trump's doing everything in his power to slow it down. (he's make a show of wanting it to speed up,but last I heard, he's still a believer in "herd immunity"

And in any event, its obvious he doesn't care about anyone but himself...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.4.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @5.4    3 years ago
Trump's doing everything in his power to slow it down.

For example?

From what I can see, he's not really involved at all. And while I consider that possibly irresponsible, I'm not aware of his efforts to slow it down.

Thomas
Senior Guide
6  Thomas    3 years ago

I am afraid that the genie has already left the confines of the lamp, so any further actions against the POtuS will be met by derision on several levels. If somebody had actually wanted to prevent this occurrence, one would have to rewind history by a few years. 

Donald Trump is a demagogue : a political leader who seeks support by appealing to the desires and prejudices of ordinary people rather than by using rational argument,  who uses demagoguery to rhetorically exploit (an issue) for political purposes in a way calculated to appeal to the desires and prejudices of ordinary people .

Unfortunately for the country, his brand of lies flowed right into and through the vein of the conspiracy theory whack-jobs. A little tweaking around the edges and he had an instant following, no matter how much bullshit came out of his mouth. 

His cries of "Fake news" and "rigged election" have always been standard stock and fare since well before he was elected president, so the people infected by this way of thinking will not believe the truth even if you present them with incontrovertible evidence. 

I heard last night a lot of people saying we have to tell these people the truth. It will not do any good. They have been innoculated from the truth by Trump. If he says it, it is so. If he says it is not, it is not. 

I guess that we need to figuratively gag him and catch the rats that scurry to help him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Thomas @6    3 years ago

I generally agree with your comment.  Many people are now turning against Trump when it is too late to avert the damage he has done. When he could have been stopped at a meaningful point almost all of them were silent. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @6    3 years ago
I heard last night a lot of people saying we have to tell these people the truth. It will not do any good. They have been innoculated from the truth by Trump. If he says it, it is so. If he says it is not, it is not. 

The only thing that will work is to LOCK THEM UP, LOCK THEM UP. (Those who broke the law during the Capitol rioting.

Thomas
Senior Guide
6.2.1  Thomas  replied to  Krishna @6.2    3 years ago

Including the President.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Former Trump Chief of Staff John Kelly told cable news this afternoon that if it were in his power he would remove Trump from office immediately via the 25th amendment. 

Ok, well and good. Where was he when it was time during the campaign when people wanted him to verify Trump's disgraceful remarks about fallen US soldiers.  

John Kelly has not done his full duty to the American people. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago
if it were in his power

If.

But its not.

And Pence opposes it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene 
1f1fa-1f1f8.svg
@mtgreenee
·
4h
You don’t walk away from Make America Great Again or America First Policies because bad actors get involved and try to highjack the movement and make it look horrible. I wore my MAGA hat on
this morning bc supporters should stand firm in their beliefs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This moron is a congressperson in the House of Representatives of the United States of America. 
Oh, one other thing. She is Q Anon. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @8    3 years ago
I wore my MAGA hat

Aha! That's why she's got so many followers! Her power is in the hat. (kinda like Samson and his hair). Its a Magic Hat! Steal her hat and her evil powers are neutralized!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9  Raven Wing    3 years ago

If you want to know why Trump is a racist, is also anti-American in many ways, in spite of his endless spiels of how patriotic he is and how much he loves America, as well as knowing about how the Mafia works, you can read the history of his Father, Fred Trump, which might possibly also enlighten you a bit about Donald Trumps history in these areas as well.

The height of the Bund’s activities was a February 20, 1939 rally at New York City’s Madison Square Garden. It drew some 20,000 Bund members and Nazi supporters. One German American who did not hide his far-right views was Fred Trump, Sr., the father of Donald Trump. On May 31, 1927, Fred Trump was arrested by police while participating in a Ku Klux Klan march in his home borough of Queens in New York. The elder Trump was publicly known to be a racist and he refused to rent his apartments in Queens and Brooklyn to African Americans. In 1927, there were few organizations for far-right extremists like Fred Trump to join. One was the KKK, which had its roots in the post-Civil War Reconstruction South. Another was Italian leader Benito Mussolini’s overseas “Fascisti,” which was primarily composed of Italian immigrants to the United States. By the early 1930s, far-right wingers in the American North were fast to embrace the Nazis and Kuhn’s Bund was able and ready to answer the call and begin recruiting to its ranks. Fred Trump’s FBI file – which includes the 1927 arrest at the KKK march – appears to be missing his pre-war and immediate post-war year activities. The file does not resume until the 1960s, when the FBI began monitoring the elder Trump’s association with Mafia syndicates in New York.