╌>

Fewer Republicans Say Chauvin Guilty of Murdering George Floyd

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Tommy Christopher (Mediaite)

Fewer Republicans Say Chauvin Guilty of Murdering George Floyd
As the trial of Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd continues into its third week, a new poll shows a staggering partisan divide over the preferred outcome. Friday was day 10 of the trial that has transfixed many, and saw the conclusion of several days of devastating testimony from medical experts as to […]

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

George-Floyd-crime-scene-mural-GettyImages-1232050068-1200x675.jpg

As the trial of Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd continues into its third week, a new poll shows a staggering partisan divide over the preferred outcome.

Friday was day 10 of the trial that has transfixed many, and saw the conclusion of several days of devastating testimony from medical experts as to the cause of Mr. Floyd's death. Two weeks of riveting eyewitness testimony and wrenching video evidence has convinced a large majority of Chauvin's guilt, but not everyone.

In a The Economist/YouGov Poll released this week, respondents were asked "Do you believe Derek Chauvin should be found guilty of murder?"

Among all respondents, 57 percent said "yes" Chauvin should be found guilty, with 25 percent saying they were "not sure" and just 18 percent saying "no."

But among Republicans, only 31 percent said Chauvin should be found guilty, and 36 percent said he should not — twice as many as the overall respondents who said Chauvin should not be found guilty.

A similar gap existed between white men without college degrees — 43 percent of whom said Chauvin should be found guilty — and Black respondents, 79 percent of whom said Chauvin should be found guilty. Those disparities were smaller among white men with college degrees (49%), white women without degrees (51%), and white women with college degrees (65%).

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I have seen and heard some of the live testimony.  It will be very difficult to find Chauvin not guilty. Medical experts have said on the witness stand that Chauvin kneeling on his neck for nine minutes caused Floyd's death , and even the medical examiner who said it was a combination of Chauvin's kneeling and Floyd's heart disease that killed him didnt cut Chauvin any slack.  We may have the rare instance where a cop gets convicted of criminally causing a suspects death. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

What I've run into is conservatives say that Floyd "Isn't worthy' of being the martyr that he's been made up to be because of his criminal past.  "Why couldn't it have Brieonna Taylor", they say.

How do you deal with racist when you can't convince them of their racism? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    3 years ago

gee, what a shocking revelation from the 21st century's party of white supremacy.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

I wonder if they would feel differently if that asshole had knelt on one of their loved one’s necks for 9 mins until they died?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

The persons who were polled were not privy to all the evidence, nor did they have the opportunity to watch the full testimony of the witnesses in order to judge their veracity, but they will have been influenced by talking heads, internet sites, FaceBook, etc none of which is going to be accurate.  I ran a poll here on NT about members' predictions and they were split as well. There is no way for anyone to predict the outcome - it could be anything, including a hung jury.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago

not if they hide the rope...

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

From what I've seen America witnessed a murder on tv. A real one. 

IMO: This stupid cop really fucked himself and I have little doubt he will pay for it.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

The GOP is thick with racists so of course they don't think it is murder, despite what the medical experts and other LEO's say.