╌>

Trump adviser Giuliani asks judge to throw out $1.3 billion lawsuit over his 'big lie' election claims | Reuters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  3 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Jan Wolfe (U. S.)

Trump adviser Giuliani asks judge to throw out $1.3 billion lawsuit over his 'big lie' election claims | Reuters
Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani asked a judge on Wednesday to throw out a voting machine company's $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit relating to his false claims about the November 2020 presidential election being rigged.

Hard to imagine how Giuliani is going to defend himself.   If he did not defame Dominion then what could possibly count as defamation?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani asked a judge on Wednesday to throw out a voting machine company's $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit relating to his false claims about the November 2020 presidential election being rigged.
Giuliani's lawyer said in a court filing that Dominion Voting Systems' lawsuit should be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction, and because the company has not adequately justified its request for money damages.
The filing said Giuliani denies defaming Dominion, adding that the former New York City mayor would present a more forceful defense on the merits if his jurisdictional arguments are rejected by the federal judge in the District of Columbia who is assigned to the case.
"Should this matter reach legal or factual adjudication on the merits, Giuliani will provide a vigorous and complete response," the court filing stated.
Megan Meier, a lawyer for Dominion, said in a statement that
"Giuliani said he wanted to present the 'evidence' for his defamatory statements about Dominion, but now he's trying to avoid a trial and still offering no evidence at all."
Trump and his allies spent two months denying his election defeat, and claiming without evidence that it was the result of widespread voter fraud, before the then-president's supporters launched a deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.
Denver-based

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    3 years ago

Don't worry Rudy, Trump has your back.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @1    3 years ago

Rudy ! Rudy! ... Er ...  wait...nevermind.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  TᵢG @1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1    3 years ago

*Snort* jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1    3 years ago

for me that's one of the more entertaining aspects of trump's one term presidency. all the nut jobs that were convinced and bet their own futures that he would be re-elected and they would have nothing to worry about for any of their activities in the past. any slight or legal issue would all disappear with the stroke of a pen or a nocturnal tweet. naturally when trump lost in 2020, the sure thing went straight into the cesspool and now it's every moron for themself. the bad seeds are beginning to bear bitter fruit.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.4    3 years ago

All the morons who "Stormed the Capitol' 'It's a Revolution" are realizing that now.  LOL!  I think they truly believed there would be no consequences.  

Also, that moron Lindell is whining and wondering why Fox 'news' is not allowing him to continue to promote his lies any longer while they're being sued for the same thing!  He's hiring private investigators to look into it.  Idiot!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.4.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @1.4.1    3 years ago

He better be selling a bunch of pillows to cover his legal bills.....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @1.4    3 years ago

They played and now they must pay.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    3 years ago

I think what rudy did was the definition of slander.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @2    3 years ago

Or libel (which would be worse for Rudy):

Libel is a method of   defamation   expressed by print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form that is injurious to a person's reputation, exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @2.1    3 years ago

Slander is defamation made verbally.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.1    3 years ago

Yes.    

And I would hope that this rises to the level of libel.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    3 years ago
“Giuliani said he wanted to present the ‘evidence’ for his defamatory statements about Dominion, but now he’s trying to avoid a trial and still offering no evidence at all.”

Rudy, here's the chance you've been begging for for months.  And you're throwing it away?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    3 years ago

Evidence? We don't need no stinkin' evidence.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @3.1    3 years ago

He even admitted in court that he had no proof.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ender @3.1    3 years ago

Evidence? We don't need no stinkin' evidence.

It's not my fault, the dog ate my evidence!!!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.2    3 years ago

It's not my fault, the dog ate my evidence!!!

Wait!  I found it.  The evidence is down here somewhere...

BORAT+giuliani+Amazon+Studios+1120.jpg

Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

Why in the Hell is trump not being sued? 

Who started this big lie and why ?  

This is Bull shit, trump should pay. Instead it's always just trump's minions who pay for that megalomaniac's ways and means of "achievement" 

There is always a trail of tears that follows trump. But never seems to catch up to him personally. 

I pity anyone who comes in contact with this man. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    3 years ago
Why in the Hell is trump not being sued? 

Exactly!

One thing Trump does exceptionally well is to place his soldiers in the line of fire and then find safe cover.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2  Ender  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    3 years ago

He has gotten away with it his whole life.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @4.2    3 years ago

The weird thing is that, even knowing this, he can still find people willing to take the fall for him.  They line up for the privilege.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.1    3 years ago

Like I have said before, never underestimate the stupidity of the American people. Case in point, there are those who still follow & praise Trump, believe the election was stolen, think Trump will make a comeback in 2024, ect.. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    3 years ago

Trump didn't attack Dominion.   He let his pawns do it on his behalf.   He knew it was lies but that is how he rolls.  They poked the hornet's nest and Trump sat back to watch the show while eating Big Mac flavored popcorn.

Sophomore Guide
4.3.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.3    3 years ago
Trump didn't attack Dominion.   He let his pawns do it on his behalf.

True Paula, trump is like a drug king pin who directs the operations from a distance away from the real action and waits to claim the prize his minions worked to gain for him. 

Over and over. Always leaving a trail of tears behind.

Yes IMO: mr trump is quite the skilled but a very dangerious megalomaniac manipulator for our Constitutional federal republic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.3.1    3 years ago

Honestly I wouldn't say skilled.  He's got some evil skilled scumbag whispering in his ear though.  

But dangerous megalomaniac, YES!

That's what mobsters do and whatshisface has always been a mobster, gangster, thief, thug, grifter

Sophomore Guide
4.3.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Tessylo @4.3.2    3 years ago
Honestly I wouldn't say skilled

Tressylo, I included "skilled" because of the success trump has had at building his cult following. Some of his followers were/are ready, willing and able to die for this dangerious megalomania now.

Yeah, trump knew what he was doing.

Thankfully in the end trump underestimated the level of destruction his followers were prepared to dish out. So trump didn't get to pull the lever on Martial law and extend his power. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.4  Tessylo  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    3 years ago

158111879_10226741996602231_2794883079390411280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=YM7FSQ2tvMQAX-IlF4q&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=6c804de59197464d3e2a478b5dd3ccef&oe=609A6337

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    3 years ago

170948821_10208457272107522_6831983772289442146_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=vnpPOukLHwMAX9JvjO8&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=2599fe6486b6863d26d41b3a503ac375&oe=60998C67