╌>

Should We Pay People To Get Vaccinated ?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  56 comments

The Biden Administration is said to be trying to think of ways to inspire people to get the covid vaccine. Herd immunity cannot be reached unless many more people get vaccinated. 

If we gave people 100 dollars to take the vaccine and say, 80 million did so on that basis, it would cost 8 billion dollars .  Seems like a small price to pay to get this thing over with. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Bribery is a good idea as a business practice, ask the former potus. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Screw that.  If you have to be paid to save your own life and the lives of those around you, then get sick and I won't shed a tear.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    3 years ago

Lol are we actually considering paying people not to be stupid.  Sad

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Freefaller @3    3 years ago

It's not a Biden proposal, it is my suggestion. 

Its not an ideal way to do it but if it worked it would be worth it. Yes, the people who accepted the money would be disreputable for it, and it is sad, but maybe this is an unusual situation. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago
Its not an ideal way to do it but if it worked it would be worth it.

Problem would be to explain to everyone else why they didn't get paid.

Better idea in my mind would be to tie it to the next stimulus check (if there is one).  Checks only go to those vaccinated or with a medical waiver.  Separation of church and state SHOULD mean that it doesn't give a crap what your religion says about the vaccine, so medical waiver only.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    3 years ago
"... so medical waiver only"
What if my witch doctor is a Satanist?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    3 years ago

Not a bad idea, of course, but another stimulus seems highly unlikely unless there is quite a setback in fighting the virus and "opening up" the economy. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    3 years ago

I'm back to work (in the office at the hospital) full time starting June 1st.  Now the University is starting to phase administrative staff back into the office.  50% for now.  I was really getting spoiled and enjoying working from home three days and in the office downtown for two. 

I think you're right though about the stimulus, probably not another one, but who knows.  All the idiots out there who refuse to use common sense and stick to the masking and social distancing and hand washing may throw us back into a fifth wave and a lot of people won't get it, even if you paid them.      

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @3.1.2    3 years ago

What self-respecting witch doctor isn't?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Hallux @3.1.2    3 years ago
What if my witch doctor is a Satanist?

Hey, I'd accept that as a bonafide waiver.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    3 years ago
Not a bad idea, of course, but another stimulus seems highly unlikely unless there is quite a setback in fighting the virus and "opening up" the economy. 

You're probably right, but there has been talk of a 4th set of checks.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.7    3 years ago

I had forgotten all about the possible fourth round of checks.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    3 years ago

I just drove from Dallas to the Philadelphia area for a weekend wedding last week,

returning to Dallas via the southern route

through your Baltimore and DC to Birmingham, Jackson MS and Shreveport LA

averaging 80mph every where except TX which is 85-90mph.

I stopped in to see a few clients along the way.

The only congestion I experienced was northbound I 95 in Philly with mild

congestion Southbound on 495 around the non state of D.C.

and stopped dead in center city Dallas both coming and going.

I say keep everyone working from home.

Stay off the highways and out of my way.  jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.9    3 years ago

495, The Capitol Beltway is HELL, although some sections are kind of scenic.  My sister lives in Fairfax and I love to see the Mormon Temple on my way there.  D.C./VA always has SNARLED UP TRAFFIC AND CONGESTION!  

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the commute.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.11  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.9    3 years ago

I was just wondering where you've been!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1.11    3 years ago

Driving my C300 for 3500 miles, listening to a lifetime collection of CDs at whatever volume I could stand.

Epic.

Came home to a pile of orders and new business, renewed romance and good cooking.

Can't ask for more than that in my supposed "twilight".

And my new daughter in law loves me and my old cabinetry and wood working she inherited.

And my two grand daughters, one natural, one adopted glommed onto me unbelievably,

which means more road trips!  jrSmiley_41_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Why not?

We're paying people not to work.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

Who are YOU paying to work or not to work?

And who are all those people getting paid and not working?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    3 years ago

Retired people on Social Security, the great Communist plot, lol !!!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

Like you?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.3  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @4    3 years ago

Very 'nervy' of you to call out the GOP legislators on that, ya think?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

How about we offer no lengthy, expensive hospital stays and free donuts

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    3 years ago

Krispy Kreme!

Veronica
Professor Guide
6  Veronica    3 years ago

May not be a popular opinion, but if the employer makes the vaccine mandatory like the Flu vaccine has become at my place of work then they should allow the employees to get the vaccine during work time with pay.  If it is not mandatory - the employee should make an appointment on their off time.  JMFO.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  Veronica @6    3 years ago

And that has already been funded.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    3 years ago

I had covid in the middle of December. Two weeks ago I donated blood to the Red Cross and they now automatically test for antibodies. Got my result the other day and I have a good level of antibodies. I am by no means an anti-vaxxer but I see no reason at this time for me to get the vaccine.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1  bbl-1  replied to  pat wilson @7    3 years ago

You do not do this for yourself, you do it for others.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1    3 years ago

From what I understand if you have antibodies from the vaccine or the virus itself you can't pass it on. Isn't that one of the reasons for having the vaccine ?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.1    3 years ago

That is still being studied.  And the longer 'the virus' is able to move in the population the more likely the virus will mutate.  And the mutations are the 'entity' that must have the door closed on them.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.2    3 years ago
and the longer 'the virus' is able to move in the population the more likely the virus will mutate.

I follow all the social protocols, strictly, some long before Covid. I work for myself and live alone and am rarely in public places or crowds. When I am I'm masked and keeping distance.

Somehow I did contact a Covid virus, it may well have been a variant or mutation. Fortunately it was a fairly mild case. Having antibodies from that and considering my behavior it's highly unlikely that I could pass Covid to anyone.

Thank you for your concerns but they are not warranted in this instance.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.3    3 years ago

So...  It was unlikely you would get covid but you still did.  Now you discount the value of the vaccine because it's unlikely you will get it again?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1.4    3 years ago

I didn't discount the value of the vaccine. My body already has a level of immunity, why would I introduce a substance to create more immunity. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.5    3 years ago

I've read [and heard from people that work at a hospital] that people that have already contracted the virus should NOT get the vaccine.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.5    3 years ago

It is still advised to wear a mask even if fully vaccinated as there are mutations that the vaccines don't fight against.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.8  pat wilson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.7    3 years ago

I wear a mask when I'm out and have done since this started last year. And I have been, long before Covid a little obsessive about washing my hands.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Ender  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.8    3 years ago

Even before this we always kept hand sanitizer in the car (or someone's purse) and we would wipe off shopping cart handles and things.

I am a little pissed that it is still hard to find the regular spray Lysol around here.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
7.1.10  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1.6    3 years ago
I've read [and heard from people that work at a hospital] that people that have already contracted the virus should NOT get the vaccine.

Hi Ahyoka,

Per my daughter, as I've told you a pediatrician in TN and her husband, an oncologist even people that had Covid should get the vaccine.  They went into some medical reasoning why which was so far above my head, it could have touched the space station, but if it was their 'professional' opinion, who am I to question!!

Have a great and safe weekend.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.11  pat wilson  replied to  Ender @7.1.9    3 years ago
hard to find the regular spray Lysol

That and Clorox Wipes and isopropyl alcohol. And some vitamin supplements were scarce this past year.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.12  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @7.1.10    3 years ago

I'm just going by things that my docs have been saying as well as my family members that work in hospitals... I only know what I've been told. There are differing opinions, that doesn't surprise me either. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    3 years ago

Just got my first vaccination today and hell not only did someone not have to pay me I would have paid for it myself (I didn't but I would have)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @8    3 years ago

People need to be made aware of scammers from Mexico and Poland that are selling counterfeit vaccines to the tune of $1,000.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    3 years ago

Absolutely Paula, in fact just this morning I read about 4 people in Fl being indicted for doing that exact thing

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.1    3 years ago

I think the guy in Poland got caught before he could sell any.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9  Greg Jones    3 years ago

I had Covid back around Halloween, have had both Moderna shots, and will take a booster if recommended. I do this because of the lack of data of how strong natural immunity is, or the long term efficacy of the vaccines. I can't understand the reluctance to take the vaccines.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Greg Jones @9    3 years ago

The only reasons myself, my husband nor any of the kids in my home haven't received ours yet are as follows:

1. They didn't open availability to those in our age group until two weeks ago.
  2. When I went to set up appointments, there weren't any available.
  3. No one is allowing anyone under 18 to get theirs yet, and the only one that leaves the house regularly is 17 and my son is only 12.
  4. If any one in my home experience symptoms from the shot, my daughter is forced to quarantine for 10 days and she would therefore be missing school. It's her senior year and she's looking forward to graduation. If she misses more than 3 days the entire year, she must take all finals... her last day is next month [May 20] and for now, she doesn't have to take finals. She has NOT missed more than 3 days of school and getting straight As.

The 12 year old doesn't leave the house except for walks with me [not around the public]. The 19 year old doesn't leave the house at all. My husband works with ONE guy and that guy's family is in the same exact situation as we are; wife works from home and doesn't venture out in public and the kids are schooling from home. We're waiting until after my daughter is done with school.

charger 383
Professor Silent
10  charger 383    3 years ago

I got J&J shot 6 weeks ago, just as soon as I could get it,  I had CV19 sickness and was over it before they really knew what it was.  That might be why I did not feel bad after the shot

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1  Freefaller  replied to  charger 383 @10    3 years ago

That's good.  Just got my first shot yesterday and while my shoulder is sore I don't feel bad either (yet).

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11  Split Personality    3 years ago

I consult with different dealerships and have one in the Atlantic area where one person has had covid 3 times, and two people have died

and 2 others have never been able to come back to work after being hospitalized.

Those people were very cavalier about Covid last year, this year, not so much,...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
13  Tacos!    3 years ago

Happy to take other people’s money! If you’re feeling generous, hit me up in the chat or send me a private note. jrSmiley_101_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

My son got his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine Thursday.  He had a sore arm yesterday.  He's fine today.

I had my second dose in January.

I'd have gladly paid for both.  Somebody else can have my free Krispy Kreme doughnut - they're not one of my vices.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14    3 years ago

You got a donut?

I didn't even get a sticker.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @14.1    3 years ago

No.  I just read that they were being offered to those who got their Fauci ouchie.  I can't remember if I got a sticker.  I did get a mask.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
14.2  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14    3 years ago
He had a sore arm yesterday.  He's fine today

Lucky kid I got mine the same day and still can't raise my arm above my head (it is getting there though).  

No donuts for me either

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @14.2    3 years ago

My arm only got a bit sore each time.  Second dose, I got a fever and chills.  The chills were pretty miserable, but they only lasted overnight. Next day, I was worn out, but ok otherwise.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
14.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.2.1    3 years ago

We both got our 2nd Modernss last Saturday and are just getting back to normalish.

COVID arm with persistent rash and soreness, but the feeling we were in a car accident has passed...

( fingers crossed )

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15  TᵢG    3 years ago

No.    Paying people (bribing people) is already a lousy precedent and we should not continue with yet another.

I would rather reward those who are being responsible (e.g. a certificate of vaccination and passport-like clearances) rather than pay those who are irresponsible to do the right thing.