╌>

Christian Leader Will Host Rally to Condemn LGBTQ People "Destroying" America | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   Beth Stoneburner (Friendly Atheist)

Christian Leader Will Host Rally to Condemn LGBTQ People "Destroying" America | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos
The leader of the Promise Keepers still thinks marriage equality is ruining America.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Beth Stoneburner April 28, 2021

Ken Harrison, leader of the "Promise Keepers," a Christian Nationalist group for men, is organizing a rally this summer. But the focus will not be on Jesus. It'll be on combatting the LGBTQ agenda that's apparently going to "destroy" the American identity.

He explained all of this to Steve Bannon during a recent interview:

Ken Harrison of the 'Promise Keepers' says he is organizing a rally of "80,000 christian men" this July in Dallas Cowboys' stadium, to fight against the LBGTQ agenda to "destroy the identity of the American people." pic.twitter.com/76d9G3UbPy
— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) April 26, 2021

One of the things they're doing to make their agenda happen is they're destroying the identity of the American people. And if they can get Christians — especially Christian men — to sit down, be silent and be passive, then they can be effective, and it's working.
I mean, Christian men are not standing up for what's right. I mean, you think about how quickly we went from homosexual marriage to, now, men putting on dresses and being called women and playing on women's basketball teams… Where are the Christian men?

The same people who routinely mock the WNBA want you to know they're doing everything in their power to rescue women's basketball. And the same people who have accumulated so much power over the past few decades want you to know they're being silenced. And the same people currently attacking trans people want you to know they still haven't figured out how to deal with same-sex marriage.

(By the way, being transgender and cross-dressing are not the same thing. His bigotry, like all bigotry, is rooted in ignorance.)

And besides that, even if Christian men were to stop being "silent" and "passive" — which they aren't — how would that stop anyone from being gay or trans?

Even Christians who more or less share Harrison's theology about LGBTQ people should be concerned by the way he conflates salvation with the culture wars. This is what Christian Nationalism is: It's not about Christianity, Jesus, or building any kind of "kingdom" on Earth. It's not about patriotism; just ask those who rioted at the Capitol in January. It's about maintaining a system that oppresses certain minorities who don't look, act, or think like Harrison. It should be condemned by decent Christians everywhere.

There's no American "identity" worth salvaging if it means perpetuating Harrison's bigotry.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

Is it any wonder that the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known merely as the gop?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

Now the gqp.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

How is the GOP part of this story?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @1.2    3 years ago

How is the GOP part of this story?

Caitlyn Jenner... 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Drakkonis  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.1    3 years ago
Caitlyn Jenner... 

I didn't know he was in Promise Keepers.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2.2    3 years ago

He is a republican. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Drakkonis  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.3    3 years ago

How does that connect him to the story about Promise Keepers? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2.4    3 years ago

Start at the top of the thread and read down. I was responding to someone. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

it IS a wonder that you managed to involve the GOP when your own article doesn't say shit about the GOP.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

He and his organization will destroy American, not the LBGTQ community.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

LGTB People are in the fabric of American families!

Attacks on LGTB people are attacks on our families.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3  Gordy327    3 years ago

Another "loving" christian, eh?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Gordy327 @3    3 years ago

We are all God's children except same sex families?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  JBB @3.1    3 years ago

Apparently, some people seem to think that.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4  Ozzwald    3 years ago

So, will this rally look something like this?

1acb9416e67b7868e4263958cfa101c9.png

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ozzwald @4    3 years ago

Is that a scene from Trump's 2020 gop convention?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @4.1    3 years ago

Is that a scene from Trump's 2020 gop convention?

Don't be silly, that was Mar-a-Lago last weekend.

This one was from the 2020 GOP convention.... 

KKK%20rally%20part%202.0bcdbda1.f7f221d1.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.1    3 years ago

fake news

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2  pat wilson  replied to  Ozzwald @4    3 years ago

Wait, is that men wearing dresses ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @4.2    3 years ago

its okay, they are Democrats

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

What a cement-head.  These are the types of assholes that are destroying American identity.  Whatever happened to Goldwater Republicans?

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5    3 years ago
Whatever happened to Goldwater Republicans?

The Alt+Right populists took over the Tea Party and this is the result. Those more aligned with Goldwater Republicans either turned hard right to keep their seats or got kicked to curb and joined PACs like the Lincoln Project. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @5.1    3 years ago

Which gave us the teabaggers.  They're douchebags as well.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

I wonder how many mistresses and abortions this scumbag has in his closet.  Or dead prostitutes.  

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @6    3 years ago

What is worse for a republican than being caught in bed with a dead lady? Being caught with a live man.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @6    3 years ago

I am betting that he has put his foot into more than one adjacent bathroom stall.

Phaedrus
Freshman Silent
6.2.1  Phaedrus  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.2    3 years ago
I am betting that he has put his foot into more than one adjacent bathroom stall.

I was going to say something to the effect of don't these stories usually end up with these assholes being charged with some kind of homosexual solicitation charges...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    3 years ago

Promise Keepers?  Sounds like a bunch of Nazi skinheads or some sort of white supremacists.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @7    3 years ago
Sounds like a bunch of Nazi skinheads or some sort of white supremacists.

Same thought process, but they figured "Promise Keepers" was a less obvious name.  Plausible deniability.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @7    3 years ago

That is because it is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    3 years ago

Ken Harrison, leader of the "Promise Keepers," a Christian Nationalist group for men, is organizing a rally this summer. But the focus will not be on Jesus. It'll be on combatting the LGBTQ agenda that's apparently going to "destroy" the American identity.

Sounds like these macho 'men' are afraid of women too.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @8    3 years ago

Maybe they're "gay" for Jesus? jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    3 years ago

Or maybe, they're just crazy about Peter?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  JBB @8.1.1    3 years ago

Or maybe, they're just crazy about Peter?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    3 years ago
One of the things they're doing to make their agenda happen is they're destroying the identity of the American people. And if they can get Christians — especially Christian men — to sit down, be silent and be passive, then they can be effective, and it's working.

Does anyone around a person like this ever step back and question whether or not there is any kind of rational connection in these words? What is wrong with “the identity of the American people?” What does that mean?

I mean, you think about how quickly we went from homosexual marriage to, now, men putting on dresses and being called women and playing on women's basketball teams… Where are the Christian men?…

I’m pretty sure no one is putting on a dress to play basketball. Just saying. I mean, I’m open to a nuanced discussion of transgender men on women’s sports teams, but this is just hysteria.

The gay agenda is largely the same as everyone else’s agenda. Get a good night’s sleep. Eat a nice meal. Make rent. Have friends. Be healthy and happy. I don’t really think there is a gay agenda that prevents anyone - be they bigots or not - from leading the private life they want to lead.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

He is still fighting those inner demons eh? If he just accepted that he is gay I am sure he would feel a lot of weight lift off his shoulders. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
10.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10    3 years ago
He is still fighting those inner demons eh?

Like an obese binge eater trying to get fast food, bacon and chocolate cake banned so they won't be tempted...

"Get behind me Satan!...".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Do the "Promise Keepers" also praise HItler for murdering homosexuals along witih Jews and Gypsies?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    3 years ago

Not in public.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12  lady in black    3 years ago

These assholes are the ones destroying America.  Disgusting pieces of shit

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
13  bbl-1    3 years ago

First off, there is not any such thing as christian leaders.  Jesus has been crucified by the money changers and the only remnant remaining are the grifters. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @13    3 years ago

NO Christian leaders???

lmao!!!