╌>

Pfizer to export U.S.-made COVID-19 shots to Canada starting next week

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Reuters

Pfizer to export U.S.-made COVID-19 shots to Canada starting next week
Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) will next week start supplying Canada with COVID-19 vaccine made in its U.S. plant, a senior official said on Friday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Pfizer Inc   (PFE.N)   will next week start supplying Canada with COVID-19 vaccine made in its U.S. plant, a senior official said on Friday, making it the second country to receive doses from the Kalamazoo, Michigan facility.

Reuters   reported   on Thursday that Pfizer had started shipping vaccines made at the plant to Mexico, the first time it has delivered abroad from U.S. facilities after a Trump-era restriction on dose exports expired at the end of March.

"I can confirm that as of May 3, the Canadian supply of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine will come from its manufacturing site in Kalamazoo," said federal Procurement Minister Anita Anand.

"We expect to remain on the same delivery schedule, with 2 million doses expected each week in May, starting next week, and 2.4 million doses each week in June," she told a briefing.

Canada has deals with Pfizer for up to 76 million doses. Previous Canadian shipments from Pfizer and German partner BioNTech SE had come from Pfizer’s main European plant in Belgium

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

To that snarky and often asked question ... "Are you happy you voted for Biden?" Thank you to those of you who did.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

we're still waiting on those "millions of beautiful tests" from a year ago to be distributed.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

I'm not.  It magically disappeared in April.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

This was the plan all along...to share the vaccines with other nations once the needs of American citizens is met.

Anyone who wants a test can get one

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    3 years ago

You mean the superior Canadian medical system can’t make its own vaccine?

That’s ok. Happy to help.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @2    3 years ago

Canada's universal health care system has nothing to do with the manufacture of vaccines, but I assume that Canadians don't have to pay anything to be vaccinated.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    3 years ago

I was only being cheeky, but I think if we’re talking about a “system” than you have to look at all parts of it. Manufacture of medicine is an obvious component of a health care system.

We hear a lot about how much better other health care systems are compared to the United States. Much of that criticism, I actually agree with. On the other hand, some of the more socialized systems are often treated as medical utopias, and that gets tiresome after a while.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.1    3 years ago

Canada's universal health care isn't perfect - I don't think any nation's health care is absolutely perfect.  There can be long wait lists for non-emergencies, but at least nobody goes bankrupt because of it or has to do without.  My best friend had a heart condition and died while waiting for a bypass procedure, at the age of 48.