╌>

CDC Admits That It Miscalculated The Risk Of Outdoor Covid Transmission

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  33 comments

By:   Joe Hoft Published (JONATHAN TURLEY)

CDC Admits That It Miscalculated The Risk Of Outdoor Covid Transmission
The New York Times is reporting that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was relying on a faulty study in declaring a 10 percent chance of the transmission of Covid-19 outdoors. After using the "miscalculation" to support outdoor mask mandates for over 300 million Americans, the CDC now says that it is more like…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The  New York Times is reporting  that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was relying on a faulty study in declaring a 10 percent chance of the transmission of Covid-19 outdoors. After using the “miscalculation” to support outdoor mask mandates for over 300 million Americans, the CDC now says that it is more like one percent. It is astonishing that such a key and controversial component of our Covid policies was not just based on a miscalculation but never actively questioned or reexamined to discover the error.

The  Times’  Leonhardt noted  “There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.”

The outdoor risk has been a major source of disagreement with many contesting mandatory mask rules for those walking or working or recreating outside. It turns out that, according to the Times, the 10% benchmark is based “partly on a misclassification” of virus transmission in Singapore at various construction sites. Those sites were incorrectly described as outdoor but now appear to have actually taken place in indoor settings. Singapore also classified settings that were a mix of indoors and outdoors as outdoors, including construction building sites.

The real risk is one percent or less.  Yet, cities  like Chicago  closed whole parks — magnifying the isolation and depression for citizens.   Various cities like New York  closed playgrounds despite being outdoors and used by the lowest risk population for Covid. States closed parks and trails that could have been key areas of release for people during lock downs.  When Washington, D.C., issued its mandatory outdoor mask in July 2020,  the city stressed :

Dr. Robert Redfield, the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the World Health Organization, and the District of Columbia Department of Health are all agreed that wearing masks when social distancing is impossible to maintain can reduce the spread of the disease dramatically.

We spent trillions on this pandemic and the issue of masks and curtailing outside movements was continually in the news. Yet, there appears to have been little time or money spent on the basis for this key component of the mandatory policies supported by the CDC and mandated by many states.

I can understand the reliance on an article in the prestigious Journal of Infectious Diseases. I cannot understand the failure to closely examine its basis since it appears to have been the primary basis for the policy. Hundreds of millions of Americans were impacted as well as the economy. Yet, CDC is only now noting that the article appears to have been fundamentally flawed in its underlying assumptions and calculations.

05282015_66951-e1532723116454.jpg?fit=297%2C300&ssl=1
Jonathan Turley

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Even the New York Times called them out!

The Teachers Union, progressives and a self promoter is what guides them.

Trump and his supporters are off topic.
I am off topic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

All I have to say is a big so what?  Like jbb says below - who was harmed by an overabundance of caution?  NO ONE!

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

So, the CDC admitted to an error, kudos to them ... what about the clowns who shall not be mentioned?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.2    3 years ago
So, the CDC admitted to an error

Was it an "error" when they used the language recommended by the Teacher's Union?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    3 years ago

What does that have to do with anything?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    3 years ago

The Teachers Unions are the tail that wags the Democratic Party dog.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.2    3 years ago

Everything!   The CDC is supposed to be non-political.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    3 years ago

They also wag the CDC (the great whore of government agencies)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    3 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    3 years ago

I just noticed this is an Op/Ed - so this is all opinion.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    3 years ago

So, nothing.  

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.9  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    3 years ago
Was it an "error" when they used the language recommended by the Teacher's Union?

I have no idea, is it possible the Teachers Union suggested language more suitable to those without a fluency in medical/scientific terminology? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.2.9    3 years ago

Why on earth would a teachers' union have one thing to do with the CDC issuing statements?

Man, you are really reaching!

LMAO!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.11  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.10    3 years ago

Cuz teachers is smart peepul. They smarter bout everything than regular people. They even smarter than impetuous dumzeez experts at the DCD. You should not talk bad bout the smart peepul.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    3 years ago

And it gets worse, and Fauci's connection to the pandemic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2    3 years ago

You believe that nonsense from the Washington Examiner?  

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.2  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @2    3 years ago

It gets worse when you become a fan of Rand Paul. /S

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @2.2    3 years ago

Rand Paul is such an idiot!  Telling those lies and having a tantrum regarding Dr. Fauci in those hearings.  Paul who is an expert on nothing.  

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 years ago

Who was harmed by an overabundance of caution?

Nobody!

Who harmed by Trump's appallingly bad leadership?

Over a half a million Americans unnecessarily dead!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @3    3 years ago
Who was harmed by an overabundance of caution?

Kids are hurt.

Child Psychiatrists Warn That The Pandemic May Be Driving Up Kids' Suicide Risk

"Across the country, we're hearing that there are increased numbers of serious suicidal attempts and suicidal deaths," says Dr. Susan Duffy , a professor of pediatrics and emergency medicine at Brown University.

NPR spoke with providers at hospitals in seven states across the country, and all of them reported a similar trend: More suicidal children are coming to their hospitals — in worse mental states.

The number of kids with suicide attempts coming to the emergency room at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland, in California, in the fall of 2020 was double the number in the fall of 2019, says Marisol Cruz Romero , a psychologist and the coordinator for the hospital's behavioral emergency response team.

At Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, the number of children and teens hospitalized after suicide attempts went up from 67 in 2019 to 108 in 2020. And October 2020 saw a 250% increase in these numbers over the previous October, says Hillary Blake , a pediatric psychologist at the hospital.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

Another much ado about nothing 'article'

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

I know I shouldn't be, but sometimes I'm surprised by how mindlessly partisan  the reactions are on NT. 

Shilling for the CDC after it butchers basic science while  claiming that pointless restrictions that needlessly damaged thousands of business and caused millions needless hardship and stress don't matter.

I hope you some of you get paid to look like idiots for the democratic party, because if you embarrass  yourself for a government agency that doesn't give two shits about you or your "defense" of it, and get nothing in return, then that's truly a sad thing to see. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    3 years ago
I know I shouldn't be, but sometimes I'm surprised by how mindlessly partisan  the reactions are on NT

You are a perfect example as evidenced by your last sentence. 

The CDC needs to shoot straight with facts and data and not worry about public perception or opinion, let the politicians figure that out.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1    3 years ago
ou are a perfect example as evidenced by your last sentence. 

Sure. I'm "partisan" because I think it's a bad thing the CDC bungled basic science.   

Do you think it's partisan to expect a government agency that thinks it a good idea to artificially create deadly  viruses in labs to be able to understand scientific literature  at least as well as a  lay person can? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1    3 years ago
"I know I shouldn't be, but sometimes I'm surprised by how mindlessly partisan  the reactions are on NT"

"You are a perfect example as evidenced by your last sentence. 

The CDC needs to shoot straight with facts and data and not worry about public perception or opinion, let the politicians figure that out."

Ya, exactly!

And the CDC didn't bungle anything.

You're thinking of the former bungler in chief.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    3 years ago
And the CDC didn't bungle anything.

You have to try to intentionally ignore  information to write things like this. THEY ADMITTED THEY BUNGLED IT!!!!

At least try and understand your own sides  talking points before you post.. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.3    3 years ago

You continue to embarrass yourself.

Proceed . . . . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.3    3 years ago

They made an error and admitted it.  How refreshing!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

"sometimes I'm surprised by how mindlessly partisan  the reactions are on NT"

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

"Shilling for the CDC after it butchers basic science while  claiming that pointless restrictions that needlessly damaged thousands of business and caused millions needless hardship and stress don't matter.

I hope you some of you get paid to look like idiots for the democratic party, because if you embarrass  yourself for a government agency that doesn't give two shits about you or your "defense" of it, and get nothing in return, then that's truly a sad thing to see."

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Speaking of embarrassing yourself

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    3 years ago

OMG. I had to wear a mask. Boo Hoo Hoo.....

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8  cjcold    3 years ago

It would seem to be next to impossible to come up with one number considering the variables of crowd density, wind conditions, mask compliance and number of infected.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
8.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  cjcold @8    3 years ago
It would seem to be next to impossible to come up with one number considering the variables of crowd density, wind conditions, mask compliance and number of infected.

True.  But why then did the CDC decide to use the numbers from a flawed study that was done in Singapore and the number of people involved was minimal and effectively contained in one small location?

I'm not absolutely positive, but I believe that no authority anywhere has ever identified one individual that got the virus while alone outdoors.   Any that were "suspect" were all traced back to an indoors setting with obviously infected people present.

The CDC is and has been using bogus numbers to run a political end game which is only helpful to keep control of the people.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8    3 years ago

I couldn't even imagine how to correlate all of that data that doesn't really exist.