╌>

Recipe: Cicada cookies

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   CBSNews - no author indicated

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The emergence of 17-year cicadas offers the adventurous cook an opportunity to bake these treats from the 2004  cookbook  "Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicadas,"  from Jenna Jadin and the University of Maryland Cicadamaniacs.

BB1gN5Gh.img?h=799&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© CBS News  cicada-cookies-1280.jpg

"Overall, over 1,000 insect species are eaten by humans," writes Jadin. Cicadas in particular have been a staple food for Australian Aborigines, New Guineans, Siamese, and American Indians, and were considered a delicacy in ancient Greece and Rome, as well as in modern-day Japan.

The advantages of dining on insects? "Most insects are cheap, tasty and a good natural protein source," she notes. "Additionally, they are far cleaner than other creatures: grasshoppers and crickets eat fresh, clean, green plants whereas crabs, lobsters and catfish eat any kind of foul, decomposing material. Finally, insects are low in cholesterol and low in fat."

Her recipe for Emergence Cookies is below. "These should look like cicadas emerging out of a little pile of chunky mud!"

BB1gMYkI.img?h=350&w=620&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by CBS News  Emergence Cookies feature a peculiar ingredient: Cicadas, a protein source that is low in fat and cholesterol.  / Credit: CBS News

Emergence Cookies

Yield: 60 cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup shortening

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

An additional 1/3 cup sugar

1 beaten egg white

1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)

About 60 parboiled dry roasted cicadas (roast for only 8 minutes so that they retain some moisture)

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, beat shortening with eggs, the 1 1/2 cups sugar, cooled chocolate, baking powder, and vanilla until well combined, scraping sides of bowl.

2. Gradually stir in flour till thoroughly combined. Stir in the nuts. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.

3. Meanwhile, stir together the 1/3 cup sugar and beaten egg white. Place cicadas on waxed paper; brush with egg white mixture and set aside.

4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Place a cicada on top of each ball, pressing lightly.

5. Bake in a 375° oven for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Transfer to a rack to cool.

From "Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicadas"  (University of Maryland), 2004. Reprinted by permission. 

Disclaimer: The University of Maryland and the Cicadamaniacs do not advocate eating cicadas without first consulting with your doctor. While many people do eat cicadas, there is no guarantee that they are safe for every person to eat. As with all foods, it is possible that certain individuals will have allergic reactions to substances within the cicada.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

About 12 years ago I was offered a roasted cicada to taste, but I have to admit that I turned it down - I much prefer the bottom-eating oysters, lobsters and catfish. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

I'll try anything as long as other people are eating it and it's free because I don't like to pay for things I might not like. I'd be nervous about a Cicada because it's big and juicy and pops when you squish it, I'd be more of an Ant eater. I ate a grasshopper once in Jr High, my friend Mark found it in his green beans at lunch and I bet my pudding against his I would eat it so I did and washed it down with two servings of chocolate pudding.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @1.1    3 years ago

The time one was offered to me to taste I was having dinner with other people, and they all ate them - but as I said above, I turned it down. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

LOL.  Looks like nobody likes cookies on this site.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

I just saw this, Buzz.

I like cookies, I just don't want bugs in my cookies

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    3 years ago

Me too.  But I wonder if anyone here is brave enough to do this.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago

Naah I just cannot see eating insects.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Nobody wants to bake cicada cookies?  But they're free, and full of protein.