╌>

Denver-area church refuses to show video of deceased gay woman kissing fiancée

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  37 comments

Denver-area church refuses to show video of deceased gay woman kissing fiancée

Denver-area church refuses to show video of deceased gay woman kissing fiance

A Denver-area church that was about to host a memorial service for a recently deceased gay woman refused to show a video of the woman kissing her fianc.

The funeral at New Hope Ministries in Lakewood abruptly canceled the service and moved the funeral to a funeral home after church officials insisted images of the couple kissing could not be shown in the ceremony.

Gary Rolando, a chaplain contact by the womans family to officiate the service, said Tuesday that the family of Vanessa Collier refused to remove the photos from the memorial video. Rolando is not affiliated with New Hope.

Jose Silva, a friend of Collier's, said some 200 friends and family were asked to leave the church. The woman's casket was taken to a nearby funeral home that had arranged the church service, and the memorial was held there with the complete video, Silva said.

"They asked the family to edit the video, and that was like editing Vanessa's life. It was demeaning," he said.

New Hope Ministries referred all calls for comment Tuesday to Rolando.

Dozens of Collier's friends protested outside the church on Tuesday, Silva said.

"The church policy is that people with alternate lifestyles can have services, but there can be no pictures or videos of overt kissing or hugging," Rolando said. "I understand both sides. The family wanted to honor Vanessa, and the church has to answer to its board and the members who pay their bills."

The church's website says it was founded in 1981 and "is a place where those bound by drugs, alcohol, gangs and violence can find an 'Ounce of Hope.'"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/14/denver-area-church-refuses-to-show-video-deceased-gay-woman-kissing-fiancee/?intcmp=latestnews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Absolutely ridiculous.

deepwater don
Freshman Silent
link   deepwater don    9 years ago

Those members of that church waiting for the Second Coming would be well to distance themselves if, in fact He really comes back. Roman Catholic Church too. Remember what Jesus supposedly did to the Pharisses in the Temple at Jerulalem. That would look like a tea party compared to what he would do to those preaching religion in his name, and in fact don't practice what they preach.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Hypocrisy !!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    9 years ago
The church has every right in the world to do this. Good for them for standing up for their beliefs and not being bullied.You dorm like what a church preaches? Find another. You don't have the "right" to force your own moral standards upon a church.

deepwater don
Freshman Silent

Thank God I am a Methodist!!!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I'm not going there for church!

What a shame...

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...

Nona62
Professor Silent

"The church policy is that people with alternate lifestyles can have services, but there can be no pictures or videos of overt kissing or hugging,"Butit's alright for them to put their money in the offering.?

Nona62
Professor Silent

I wouldn't either.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal

Why wouldn't it be? No one forced them to join the church, no one forces them to give money. Putting money in the till doesn't give you the right to tell others how to think.

Thank God for the First Amendment!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal

But which of the 30 different types of Methodist? Some Methodists ban homosexuals from membership, some don't and it seems to change depending on the day of the week.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal

It seems fairly obvious that you shouldn't join a church that you have fundamental disagreements with about theology.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The Church had no problem with Gay people joining the Church, so, it shouldn't be a big deal to show a video of the couple.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago

Re: Methodists :

Only the General Conference speaks for The United Methodist Church. When the lay and clergy delegates to General Conference approve a statement, it is published in the Book of Discipline and/or the Book of Resolutions . These words come from the people of The United Methodist Church.

We support laws in civil society that define marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

Although all persons are sexual beings whether or not they are married, sexual relations are affirmed only with the covenant of monogamous, heterosexual marriage.

All religions pretty much suck on the issue of homosexuality.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Yup!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thank who???35.gif 35.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol....I got it...Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

HIGH FIVE!!

deepwater don
Freshman Silent

In response to 'which' Methodist Church.

The United Methodist Church has a policy the members on each individual congregation have the option to accept or deny openly gay members. While voting in the individual poll at my own church myself and many others decided to accept them. After all the ministers son is an openly gay member. There is also a Methodist church less than 10 miles away that is openly gay with a gay minister and congregation.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
What's the point in calling yourselves Methodists? The General Conference has spoken, and has made it clear that what you guys are doing is contrary to the tenets of the Methodist religious doctrine. You may as well call yourself a branch of the Westboro Baptist Church, if your goal is just to try and improve the image of an organization with ugly policies.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

Thank God I'm an atheist!

I laughed, and out loud, too! (says the deranged, but only in the worst psychotic and/or sociopathic not to mention untreatablekind of way, formerstew.)

deepwater don
Freshman Silent

Hal...

Good question. I could just as well label myself a Christian. Or a Spiritualist, or a Believer, or an Atheist!

Labels are something that is in name only, that we use to identify ourselves to others. White, Black. Norwegian, Texan, male female,... aren't we all human beings? Being a Protestant, I label myself a progressive Methodist and practice that faith in the church that best fits my religious needs. Could I say that if you are a Roman Catholic, then you support pedophilia by priests, subjugation of whole ethnic groups in the name of God. If you are Islamic, do you support, unquestionaly, jihad in the name of Allah. Or if you are an Atheist you shun others simple because they believe in some form of a Higher Power, what ever name you may call it?

What I am saying is that I do not support some factions of the Methodist Church, but will continue to practice my faith in a manner that makes me comfortable, and reject those tenets that do not fit my needs.

Hope that makes some sense to you Hal. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating my opinion.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
I'm not trying to be argumentative either, I'm just curious. You use the expression "thank God I'm a Methodist" pretty frequently, if I remember correctly from NV. That's very specific, much more so than Christian, spiritual, or believer. Yet the actual doctrine of that specific religion does not support the case for which you are giving it credit in this instance. I'm glad you have rejected the parts of the Methodist doctrine that you find to be a negative influence on humanity, but it's still confusing why people choose to associate themselves with organizations that they disagree with on a fundamental level.

This is true of the vast majority of religionists though, so I guess you're no different. Atheists refer to this as buffet Christianity, taking what you want and leaving what you don't want. If you use a label like Spiritual, or Believer, or Deist, you don't end up in this conundrum ... but you also aren't going to be as well received by a church of an organized religion. Is there a component to your religiosity that is driven by an eagerness to be accepted into a particular community?

Nona62
Professor Silent

I agree RW!

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
Was the woman member of the church? It says the chaplain was not affiliated with the church. Why try to change the theology of a church? Just go to one that you dont have to change.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

I doubt that she ever stepped foot in that church alive. Other sources indicate that the family made the funeral arangements and notified the church that she was gay at that time. There is nothing to indicate that she was ever a member of that church.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
All churches admit sinners. It's sorta the point. I didn't realize that was news to people.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The church policy is that people with alternate lifestyles can have services, but there can be no pictures or videos of overt kissing or hugging," You're right RW!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
As far as I know, all Christian churches believe their members are sinners. Otherwise, they would not be human and why bother having a church? So accepting a sinner is not the same as endorsing the sin.The church was willing to Bury her despite her deviancy from its teachings. It just doesn't want to be put in the position of endorsing what it defines as sin. A perfectly defensible choice.Again, if you don't like a church's teachings, don't go to it.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Acts 10:34

So Peter opened his mouth and said: Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,

Nona62
Professor Silent

AMEN !!