╌>

Two-thirds of Americans say beef, chicken prices skyrocketed

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  102 comments

By:   Jackie Salo (New York Post)

Two-thirds of Americans say beef, chicken prices skyrocketed
About two-thirds of US shoppers say the prices of red meat and chicken have soared since the start of the year, according to a new poll.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The steaks are too high!

About two-thirds of US shoppers say the prices of red meat and chicken have soared since the start of the year, according to a new poll.

Meat lovers have been hit hardest by rising food costs out of the 2,000 grocery shoppers surveyed between May 17 and May 19, Bloomberg reported.

The poll, which was conducted by Morning Consult, found that around 65 percent said that red meat is more expensive now, while about 59 percent said that chicken has become pricier.

Meanwhile, more than half of the shoppers said that fruit, toilet paper, milk and prepared foods also cost more.

Overall, consumers believe prices for many products have risen

And one-third of shoppers said that their grocery bills have gone up since the beginning of the year, according to the survey.

The poll found that about a quarter of shoppers have begun buying fewer items, including meat, in order to cut back on their bills.

The rising prices come as soaring commodity costs, more expensive transportation and challenges securing labor have contributed to food inflation, Bloomberg reported.

"We've got these pockets of inflation without having corresponding wage growth, and that's going to put consumers in a really tough spot," Morning Consult economist John Leer told the outlet.

Sixty-five percent of shoppers responded that higher meat prices have really hit their wallets.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

I guess the important thing is that we don't have to hear about Trump tweets anymore.

You did it to yourselves.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

He did it to himself.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago

We are the ones suffering.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago

Yep, he sure did.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago

(deleted)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    3 years ago

Read the article.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago
We are the ones suffering.

The far right wing always makes "we the people" suffer.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

The price of groceries and gas keeps rising thanks to Biden's failed policies, or the lack thereof.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    3 years ago

Remember Greg, inflation isn't necessarily failure to a progressive.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    3 years ago

Assumptions and polls, tisk, tisk.

Either earn more or plan better, all prices increase over time.

Ever get one of those birthday "cards"  that tell you what a car cost the year you were born?

In 1952 the Cadillac coupe cost $2,900.00...today ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    3 years ago
inflation isn't necessarily failure to a progressive.

Or anyone invested  in the stock market,

Funny how that shit works totally free of political commentary, isn't it?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.5    3 years ago

The stock market?  What happened to it last week?

As I told everyone else here, it's time to invest in TIPS. From now until we no longer have a democrat in the White House.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2.7  Gazoo  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.4    3 years ago

“Either earn more or plan better,”

damn right! Let’s end welfare and tell those lazy slobs to earn more and or plan better. Good thinking.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @1.2.7    3 years ago

LMAO!!!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.10  cjcold  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.4    3 years ago

Pretty sure that is all due to the mythological "counter culture."

Whatever the fuck that is. 

Far right wing fascists have gone completely over the edge of sanity.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.4  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago
You did it to yourselves.

Prices are also up in Canada ... perhaps you could explain how we did it to ourselves ... don't forget to leave out all the costs that have nothing to do with what politician is supposedly manipulating the strings. Canadians are tough, we can take a cheap shot.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.4    3 years ago
Prices are also up in Canada ..

I don't know why prices are up in Canada, nor do I care. I do know that here in the US April’s Consumer prices increased to 4.2% (from last year). The concern is that the trillions being tossed around by the current government have caused inflation. Don't take it from me - take it from Obama's own economic advisor:

"In a February 4th Washington Post opinion piece, Mr. Summers warned of enormous uncertainties within the US economy and said: “there is a chance that macroeconomic stimulus on a scale closer to World War II levels than recession levels will set off inflationary pressures of a kind we have not seen in a generation.” He also said that: ‘given the commitments that the Fed has made, administration officials’ dismissal of even the possibility of inflation, and the difference in mobilizing congressional support for tax increases or spending cuts, there is the risk of inflation rising sharply.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.1    3 years ago
I don't know why prices are up in Canada, nor do I care.

You should try to understand how price increases in Canada can and do affect prices in the US. The cost of some types of lumber has had a 400% increase and we import much of our lumber for home building from Canada, making it one of the major contributors to the increase in home prices in the US.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.4.2    3 years ago

The government printing up money can also affect prices and savings in the US.  You should try and learn about inflation.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.4.4  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.3    3 years ago

If only it were so simple:

It's a long enough article for you to find something to cherry pick. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.3    3 years ago

My comment was in reply to your's about Canada, it was on topic and accurate. 

Seems that's way above your paygrade since all you could do was post a snide comment about an unrelated position to the original comment and response. 

Carry on Vic.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.4.6  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.1    3 years ago
"I don't know why prices are up in Canada, nor do I care."
That's just plain silly:
  • Canada is the United States’ largest customer and buys more goods from the United States than China, Japan and the United Kingdom combined
  • Canada is the top trading partner in most U.S. states
  • Canadian companies operating in the United States directly employ 725,000 Americans

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.7  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @1.4.6    3 years ago

Facts are so tiresome. /s

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.4.8  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @1.4.7    3 years ago

Folks are so "Saffy" Monsoon. ; - )

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.4.9  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @1.4    3 years ago
Prices are also up in Canada

Because what goes on in the US greatly affects Canada. Biden shutting down the pipeline sending oil tar sand into OK for refining; and to the southern ports for shipping abroad didn't do anyone any favors. Of course Governor Whitless in Michigan has to try and one up Biden by trying to shut down a major pipeline beneath the Great Lakes hat supplies oil and propane to the UP and Canada.  Hackers shutting down another pipeline exasperated the situation further. Americans like high gas prices and waiting in line for hours to fill up. If only Trump were still in office to blame that one on.

perhaps you could explain how we did it to ourselves

I am sure Canada is responsible for some of the inflation going on; but you are not responsible for the dumb ass Democrats in this country trying to make life as difficult as possible.

“You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before.” ―  Rahm Emanuel

Covid 19 is all the crisis the Democrats could ask for and more. Pumping money as fast as they can into their worthless pet projects and exploding the debt.  Don't worry about it; the Democrats will print as much money as it takes to cover the costs. Even if it means the dollar will be worth less than toilet paper.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.10  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @1.4.9    3 years ago

You've provided ZERO facts, as usual, Ronin.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.4.11  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @1.4.9    3 years ago

Enbridge is far more "witless" than Whitman.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.12  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @1.4.9    3 years ago
Because what goes on in the US greatly affects Canada. Biden shutting down the pipeline sending oil tar sand into OK for refining; and to the southern ports for shipping abroad didn't do anyone any favors.

Actually, it did since the US will not have to worry about spills for the most toxic oil in the world. If you would check you'd know that Enbridge has increased capacity in another one of their poison pipelines that will carry as much as the Keystone pipeline. Facts you seem to have avoided. 

Have you ever taken the time to question why Canada doesn't want the pipeline across Canada. Probably not.

The hacking of the pipeline was concentrated on the east coast, and it was back up in 5 days which should have shown whiners that our infrastructure needs to be protected. Do you think that protection is free? 

Covid 19 is all the crisis the Democrats could ask for and more. Pumping money as fast as they can into their worthless pet projects and exploding the debt.  Don't worry about it; the Democrats will print as much money as it takes to cover the costs. Even if it means the dollar will be worth less than toilet paper.

How soon you forget the trillions that were added to the deficit prior to Biden. You forgot your pet slogan, ''brown shirts''..

BTW, Enbridge has been working on an alternative method to replace the pipeline. 

Is there any way to resolve concerns about Line 5′s water crossing at the Straits of Mackinac?

Enbridge has proposed building a US$500-million tunnel that would run deep under the straits so the Great Lakes would be shielded from possible accidents. While the primary idea is to accommodate a new Line 5 pipeline segment to replace the current, aging pipe, the state says it could also be used down the road for other utility infrastructure, including electric transmission lines and cables for data and telecommunications.

0517-nw-po-lines-explainer-2-desktop.png?token=2

Profile view of proposed tunnel

Ordinary high water mark: 580.5 feet

600 ft.

Lake

Lake bed

Rock

Tunnel will be

constructed within

these limits

JOHN SOPINSKI/THE GLOBE AND MAIL, SOURCE: ENBRIDGE; GOVERNMENT OF MICHIGAN

“The Great Lakes Tunnel will be bored through rock, as much as 100 feet below the lake bed – virtually eliminating the chance of a pipeline incident in the Straits,” Enbridge says on a corporate website explaining the proposal.

In December 2018, the administration of then-governor Rick Snyder entered into an agreement with Enbridge that included provisions for increased Line 5 maintenance and prohibited using the new pipeline to transport heavy crude oil.

Enbridge says it would take three years to build the tunnel, but it’s still awaiting regulatory approval.

And the Bay Mills Indian Community is involved since treaty rights are part of this as well. 

Did you forget about the Enbridge toxic oil spill into the Kalamazoo River? That was a real disaster.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4.13  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @1.4.5    3 years ago

Sad how all of the far right wing fascists here only spout far right wing fascism.

Thought we already got rid of Hitler back in WWII.

Trotsky's Spectre
Freshman Silent
1.5  Trotsky's Spectre  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago
'I guess the important thing is that we don't have to hear about Trump tweets anymore.'

Kapital rules.

Under Kapital, owners/producers can charge what they want for product. Under Kapital, those who dislike food prices are welcome to stop eating. Citizens who don't like being hungry are free to go and be hungry elsewhere.

I guess the important thing is NOT that two-thirds of the population may be food insecure, but that KHC stock perform well.

If you're not at least mildly aroused by talk about volume, market caps, shares outstanding, yield, annual dividends, etc., you're not ready for political participation. If you must eat, join the military and open other countries for Kapital's exploitation by trading blood for food. Boeing investors want more money.

Biden/Trump/Obama/Bush/etc. are irrelevant. I guess the important thing is which market sectors profit most.

Trotsky's Spectre
Freshman Silent
1.5.1  Trotsky's Spectre  replied to  Trotsky's Spectre @1.5    3 years ago

OK just so we're clear on this, the antecedent post was pure sarcasm.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trotsky's Spectre @1.5.1    3 years ago

"antecedent" - an interesting word, I would have used "preceding" or "previous", but then I'm not a scholar (or pedantic). 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.5.3  cjcold  replied to  Trotsky's Spectre @1.5    3 years ago
I guess

If not for Perrie I would tell you exactly what I think of your far right wing fascism.

Trotsky's Spectre
Freshman Silent
1.5.4  Trotsky's Spectre  replied to  cjcold @1.5.3    3 years ago

'If not for Perrie I would tell you exactly what I think of your far right wing fascism.'

That's not my position. 'Small government' fundamentalists and other libertarian types have defended such positions for years. I take it you missed 1.5.1 [clarifying my post which you answer], where I indicated that I was writing in the spirit of 'pure sarcasm.'

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    3 years ago

No matter how bad things get under Biden it will always be "But Trruuummmmpppppp!!!!!!" for some.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @3    3 years ago

It's ok, they got to her. I don't think we'll have anymore trouble with any of them. 

The name of the group is Newstalkers. It's for rational discussions of news stories etc.

Our readers will now finally get to read a story without the nonsense.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.3  cjcold  replied to  Ronin2 @3    3 years ago

The whole world (except for far right wing fascists) think Biden is doing a good job.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago
The poll found that about a quarter of shoppers have begun buying fewer items, including meat, in order to cut back on their bills.

First of all, the above is quite true. 

Secondly, EVERYTHING in the grocery store has gone up in price except local fruits and vegetables... I was pretty happy about finding some delicious and beautiful fruits and veges yesterday and they were the least expensive things I purchased!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5    3 years ago

It probably will help the discount supermarkets like Walmart and Market Basket. We seem to be in a unique place.

High prices, inflation and people taking benefits rather than working.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    3 years ago

I'm done with the likes of Walmart, Kroger, and Meijer personally. I had been doing curbside pickup for years, but then my debit / credit card number kept getting stolen and now my bank won't allow me to purchase through them unless I go into the store. Sorry, but I LOATHE going into those packed stores. I actually have panic attacks if there's too many people [and most of the time, they're packed]. I've been like that for as long as I can remember. I'll stick to my local grocers / markets. Not only are the local markets not as busy, but they have fresher meats and produce. I'm supporting local businesses too. If I want to get a bunch of boxed junk food to keep the kids at bay, I can order on Amazon. I occasionally go into Aldi; they have good prices on salmon and I can get some junk food for the kids there too.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.1    3 years ago
I actually have panic attacks if there's too many people

Lol...I hear ya. I do my shopping early in the morning, especially in the summer months. It's less crowded.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    3 years ago

I'm working by 7 am and I'm not done until 4 pm. So, I don't get that luxury. Most stores around here don't open early enough on the weekends. The "older" crowd is usually flocking to the stores by 8 am here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.3    3 years ago
I'm working by 7 am and I'm not done until 4 pm. So, I don't get that luxury.

Here in MA the supermarkets were open at 6AM for seniors during the pandemic. They don't have to open that early hour any more, but Market Basket still does. I made it part of my routine. I hit the gym when they open at 5AM and then I hit the store around 6:30 AM. Any other errand I have done by 9 AM. That is part of my post pandemic schedule.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.5    3 years ago

We all need to be able to take our time and shop. Have you ever noticed the ones who are running through the store?  How about the one that leaves a cart with food in the check out line while they go look for something they forgot. 

We need to keep our cool at times.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1.7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.4    3 years ago

I couldn't get my grocery shopping done in less than an hour, even if stores around here did still open at 6am. I buy for a family of 5.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.7    3 years ago

I know what you are talking about. I used to help out on those big shopping days when I was a kid.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1.9  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.8    3 years ago

Yesterday, I was happy, because I only spent $230! That MIGHT last 2 weeks.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.9    3 years ago

Well done!  The last time I spent that much during the 80's when I let my two young daughters help me shop. We found a lot of strange items when we got it all home. My wife did appreciate the flowers they picked out. She didn't let me take the girls with me after that.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1.14  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.13    3 years ago

That's actually a great idea... I hadn't even thought of that. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.15  cjcold  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.1    3 years ago

Most don't vaccinate and haven't masked in my red-neck ignorant part of the woods, 

This is why small Trump supporting  towns are still spiking. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     3 years ago

The reason for the cost increase in beef and chicken is the cost of food for them when went up $200 per animal in 2020. 

The next question is why is the price of soybean and corn higher, and here is the answer. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @6    3 years ago
"The reason for the cost increase in beef and chicken is the cost or food or them when went up $200 per animal in 2020."

NOT because of President Biden!

Thank you!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  cjcold  replied to  dennis smith @6.1.1    3 years ago

Won't put you on ignore for never making any sense. 

Don't feel bad, right wing fascists never make sense.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @6    3 years ago

I'm not making assumptions as to why they're going up... It's just considerably noticeable for me. I hadn't noticed that ears of corn were higher here. Hm. I wonder if it's location. I'll have to check out your link.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Kavika   replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2    3 years ago

The corn you buy for consumption is totally different corn than what is used for animal feed. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @6.2.1    3 years ago

Got it. I read the link. That's why I said that I needed to read the link for clarification.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  cjcold  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2    3 years ago

My brother plants feed corn and sweet corn. 

We tend to eat the hell out of sweet corn at every gathering.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Buy a slow cooker or use the one you have. 

The cheapest meats will be fall off the bone tender if cooked in a crock pot for four hours. If necessary, you can use the low setting and let the thing cook for ten hours while you go to work. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

I don't buy expensive meat. I buy ground chuck [$12 for 2lb], stew meat [$12 for 2lb], and chicken [$21 for 5lb]. I'm not buying steaks at $11.99 / lb. Hell, even cube steak is $4 / lb. 2lbs of beef mixed with veges and potato of some sort feeds the 5 people in my house for ONE MEAL. The 5lbs of chicken allows for a little leftover, which I usually eat for lunch the following day. Leftovers are pretty rare with 3 teenagers. So, for my $45, we get 3 dinners and one lunch... not including the price of the veges and potatoes.

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.1.1  GregTx  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1    3 years ago

Is that $21 for a whole chicken or pre-cut?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Kavika   replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1    3 years ago

Chicken for $21 for 5lbs...You can buy a 5lb bag of chicken breasts here in Ocala, FL. for $9.76

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @7.1.2    3 years ago
chicken [$21 for 5lb].
You can buy a 5lb bag of chicken breasts here in Ocala, FL. for $9.76

I dont think I've ever seen uncooked chicken for 4 dollars a pound here in Chicago. As you say, chicken is usually between 1.50 (thighs and wings) and 2.50 a pound depending on whats on sale. The prepackaged Tyson brand chicken breasts are something like 8 bucks for a three pound bag. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  GregTx @7.1.1    3 years ago
Is that $21 for a whole chicken or pre-cut

Likely thats the free range "organically naturally raised "  variety that comes pre cut.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1    3 years ago

Do you have Costco there ? You can get whole rotisserie chickens for 4.99.

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.1.6  GregTx  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.4    3 years ago

That's what I would think as well. But with pricing being so different depending on what part of the country one lives in I was just curious. The beef prices mentioned are almost, but not quite, double the prices we have around here but the chicken seemed proportionally much higher.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.5    3 years ago

No where near me and I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than go into big, packed stores.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  GregTx @7.1.1    3 years ago

Pre-cut boneless, skinless, chicken breast locally raised in Monroe Michigan from a local meat market.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.9  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.3    3 years ago

I don't buy prepackaged. I buy locally raised live stock from local markets. And quite frankly, it wasn't that expensive 6 months ago. It was half that price last year and about 2/3 that price 6 months ago.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.10  pat wilson  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1.7    3 years ago

You could save a lot of money with your family of five. It would be worth the trip.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.10    3 years ago

The closest one would be an 80 mile round trip and the panic attacks are not worth it for me.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.12  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @7.1.2    3 years ago

I just checked Walmart's chicken prices... $6.00 per lb.

Local Walmart ground chuck prices as of today... $4.50 per lb. 

Last time I bought Walmart meat, my daughter and I got sick... the boys have iron guts.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

Slow cooking chili has always been my forte. Won a few contests.

The secret is big pieces. 

cherry tomatoes. pearl onions, meatballs, big apple, pear and pineapple hunks, etc... 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @7.2    3 years ago

Don't forget to toss in some powdered coffee beans, brown sugar and a shot or two of tequila. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

Costs will be affected by any number of factors , have to take into account whats been going on the last year or so with covid , how its affected the processing plants , then there is the transportation( if they can find a driver ) costs , as well as the cost to process ,feed costs at the start of the chain  and the time to raise the products .

its almost a "perfect storm" at the moment .

My feed bill for the few chickens i raise has been steady at about $30 a month  for which i usually get enough boneless chicken meals , but i have them more to just keep busy than anything else , this is my off year for doing a heifer and a hog so i wont be doing those , but i am single and live alone , and when i do raise my own which im fortunate enough to be able to do ( many cant for various reasons )  what i end up with lasts me a while .

my costs are kept down as well because i have the place to do it , and i can suppliment feed , which i usually do the last 3 months before processing , and when it comes time , i can process ( butcher) myself because of what i was taught , that in itself is a huge cost  today..

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    3 years ago

It’s a lot of things coming together all at once. Not silver bullet for the situation.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.1    3 years ago

i tend to agree that is a combination of a lot of things , and who says there will ever be a "silver bullet" to solve it ? It just has to play itself out IMHO.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9  MonsterMash    3 years ago

I went shopping yesterday, 80/20 ground beef had gone up $.37 a pound since last week. Gas has gone up $ .64 a gallon since the first of the year.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  MonsterMash @9    3 years ago

Yeah, meat is getting annoyingly higher. And fucking gas, so glad we are switching to electric.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

So what specifically has Biden done to make him responsible for the current bout of inflation? 

GregTx
PhD Guide
11  GregTx    3 years ago

What has Joe Biden done to curb the current bout of inflation?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  GregTx @11    3 years ago

What exactly can he do? He can’t set prices or anything like that. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

The truth of the matter is that prices for consumer goods have been going up since the pandemic. It is not new to 2021. 

Here is an article by the US Bureau of Labor Stats, from 2020 talking about it.

This is just a continuation of what was set in motion, and it will take a while for it to reverse itself and it will never go back to pre-endemic prices.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    3 years ago
This is just a continuation of what was set in motion

"The index for all items excluding food and energy rose 0.9 percent in April, which was the highest monthly increase since 1982. The index for used cars and trucks rose 10 percent in April, which was the largest since statistics began being record in 1953.

These numbers come at a time when the U.S. debt level has eclipsed 100 percent of the gross domestic product for the first time since World War II. The government authorized about $4.1 trillion in spending in 2020 to fight the coronavirus and the economic effects of lockdowns.

Then Biden followed up with an additional $1.9 trillion upon taking office. And now, he’s pushing for another $4 trillion in spending. If passed, the government will have enacted $10 trillion in new spending in a little over a year.

This is completely reckless. The federal government does not have money to spend. The economy does not need more government spending, it just needs officials to step out of the way and allow businesses to completely reopen now that the vaccine is widely available.

The $1.9 trillion in spending that Biden signed into law   already   exceeded the output gap, or the difference between the economy’s projected performance and potential performance. To add $4 trillion when we are already seeing the signs of inflation would be absolutely reckless."

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.2  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    3 years ago

That would be pre-pandemic. perrie

Dig
Professor Participates
13  Dig    3 years ago

There is a general phenomenon is free market economies that goes something like this:

• Whenever it becomes easier for consumers to purchase a particular product (or type of product) for which there is sufficient demand, profit-seeking sellers of said product can raise prices without suffering a loss of business.

If the money's there, then sellers will gladly take it.

Wide-spread private health insurance and public programs did it to the healthcare industry, making it easier for people to pay medical bills. Over the decades prices have skyrocketed accordingly, far beyond what would otherwise have been 'natural' prices.

The same thing happened in higher education. Financiers and public programs made it easier for people to pay tuition (at least up front at the point of service), and tuition rates skyrocketed over the years.

It's the basic economic principle of equilibrium. If you suddenly increase the supply of money chasing a supply of goods and services, then prices will rise to balance out the equation.

While undeniably needed for many people, the huge pandemic aid packages were always going to have an affect. There's probably more to come.

The only question is whether we think it's worth it. Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Would we as a country be better or worse off without having provided the aid? An awful lot of suffering was alleviated by it. Is suffering some inflation now worse than the suffering that would have occurred without the aid?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago
"Overall, consumers believe prices for many products have risen."

And of course there is Trump's Tariff War....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15  MrFrost    3 years ago

Compared to the prices for lumber, the cost of beef and chicken hasn't gone up very much. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
16  cjcold    3 years ago

As a person, I buy things globally. My global friends always give me a good deal.