╌>

Gordon Sondland, ex-Trump ambassador, sues Mike Pompeo for $1.8M in impeachment trial legal fees

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Bart Jansen (MSN)

Gordon Sondland, ex-Trump ambassador, sues Mike Pompeo for $1.8M in impeachment trial legal fees
Gordon Sondland, a central figure in former President Donald Trump's first impeachment, alleges Mike Pompeo promised to cover his legal fees.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON - A central figure in former President Donald Trump's first impeachment has filed a $1.8 million lawsuit Monday against former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for legal fees.

Gordon Sondland, a hotel magnate who served as Trump's ambassador to the European Union, contends Pompeo assured him his legal fees would be covered when he was subpoenaed for testimony about Trump's dealings with Ukraine.

"After Pompeo learned what Ambassador Sondland's testimony was before Congress during the 2019 Impeachment Inquiry - words that were entirely candid and truthful (but uncomfortable for the Trump Administration) - Pompeo reneged on his promise," said the 21-page lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Washington D.C.

© Jack Gruber, USA TODAY Gordon Sondland, former U.S. Ambassador to the European Union, was removed from his position on Friday, Feb. 7, 2020. He provided key testimony during the impeachment inquiry of US President Donald Trump.

Pompeo's spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

During impeachment hearings about Trump's dealings with Ukraine, Sondland was the official who testified about whether Trump had a "quid pro quo" with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden.

The House impeached Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, but the Senate acquitted him.

Sondland said in the lawsuit that he had to hire private attorneys on short notice for the intense examination by congressional committees. He testified for 17 hours before the House Foreign Affairs, Intelligence and Oversight and Reform Committees, the lawsuit said.

Sondland testified that he assured Ukraine officials at the White House on July 10 that a meeting would be arranged between Trump and Zelensky in exchange for investigations. Sondland testified there was a "quid pro quo" that Ukraine would receive military aid in response to investigating Biden.

"Mr. Giuliani's requests were a quid pro quo for arranging a White House visit for President Zelensky," Sondland said.

Trump said in response: "I don't know him very well."

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Gordon Sondland, ex-Trump ambassador, sues Mike Pompeo for $1.8M in impeachment trial legal fees

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

"I don't know him very well."  I've heard that somewhere before...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

sounds like what he really wants is a refund on his 2016 campaign contributions.

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago
sounds like what he really wants is a refund on his 2016 campaign contributions.

I forgot about that!  Donate a million, get appointed to a job that supports your personal business interests.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

Pompeo is a walking honor violation......  West Point must be proud.

West Point honor code: "A cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do."

Guess that only applies when one is a cadet......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2    3 years ago

He's a graduate of West Point????

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    3 years ago

First in his class in 1986 no less......  

Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.1    3 years ago
First in his class in 1986 no less......

Please tell me you are making that up.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.2    3 years ago

I can't believe it, either, but Fly would never lie

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.2    3 years ago

In 1986, Pompeo graduated first in his class from the  United States Military Academy at West Point , where he majored in engineering management

Mike Pompeo - Wikipedia

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

So Sondland believes Pompeo and Trump, there's a sucker born every minute and as can be seen in this case being wealthy is no protection from being used as a sucker..

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

He bought his position.  He just wants his money back.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

He got conned, big shocker.  I hope whatever lawyer he has charges him a leg and an arm.