╌>

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  36 comments

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
Citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Wednesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

SAN JOSE, CA—In the hours following a violent rampage in California in which a lone attacker killed eight individuals and injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Wednesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place.

“This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Wyoming resident Claire Watson, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

“It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    3 years ago

There have been 270 mass shootings (at least 4 persons killed or injured) in the USA in the first 146 days of 2021.  That does sort of exceed two per month.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

I disagree!

There is a way: If we all close our eyes and wish real hard-- and then all say in unison (which means "together"):

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families...

Then this sort of thing will never, ever , happen again-- guaranteed!

(And now that's what I call "taking effective action!" jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif )

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

Maybe thought and prayers will help stem the tide of mass killings. 

Being a shining city on a hill and an exceptional country does lead to the question of why do we have more killings than any other industrialized country in the world. 

Is it our exceptionalism or is the light too bright from the shining city on a hill.

I think that Los Lobos said it best. One Night in American and a shot rang out.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    3 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MrFrost @5    3 years ago

That's only PART of the problem.  The problem is that gun owners love their guns more than their spouses and children - it's the American way. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  MrFrost @5    3 years ago

NRA-russian.jpg

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    3 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    3 years ago

Canada has had 21 mass shootings....in history...We do that in less than a month...every month.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

I got curious so decided to look and see when the last mass shooting was in my state , turns out the last one ( 4 or more deaths) was in 2016 at an assisted care facility in the state capitol.

Wyoming is also rumored to be the most heavily armed state in the union ( personally i think that is suspect) with 195 firearms per 1000 residents ....

As for the seeded article , I clicked the link , The Onion?

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    3 years ago

“This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Wyoming resident Claire Watson, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @8.1    3 years ago

Like i said , The onion , known for its satire , for whatever its worth .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.1    3 years ago

I didn't get the numbers I quoted from the Onion.  270 mass shootings in the first 146 days of 2021.  They were from a respected media source, and I believe they were announced by Biden.  So if the source is satirical, the reality isn't.   I guess the numbers appear wilder to me than to others, because I live where NO citizens have guns, and there are NO mass shootings, and in fact if there are any shootings at all it's probably a legal execution.  It's nice to feel genuinely safe, and not ever have the feeling that "you never know if it could happen to you". 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.2    3 years ago
I didn't get the numbers I quoted from the Onion.

I know that buzz , just like i know your better than that .and you will use facts .

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    3 years ago
I got curious so decided to look and see when the last mass shooting was in my state , turns out the last one ( 4 or more deaths) was in 2016 at an assisted care facility in the state capitol. Wyoming is also rumored to be the most heavily armed state in the union ( personally i think that is suspect) with 195 firearms per 1000 residents ....

I looked to see when the last mass shooting was in my neighborhood. Never has been one, I guess that means that mass shootings don't exist. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @8.2    3 years ago
I looked to see when the last mass shooting was in my neighborhood. Never has been one, I guess that means that mass shootings don't exist. 

never denied they exist , as you seem to think , but their frequency around myself will dictate the amount of situational awareness i should be using , now if i lived somewhere else that it happens more frequently , i would have to think differently about the situation , agreed?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.2.1    3 years ago

Fair enough. But the narrative from the right wing is always the same.. "more guns", "more mentally ill people", "people are the problem, not the guns". 

1) If more guns means less crime, we would be crime free as a nation.

2) The ratio of mentally ill people here in the USA is the same as it is in other developed nations yet they don't have mass shootings like we do, (not even close, if we're honest). 

3) Why supply people, ("the problem"), with unrestricted access to guns? Again, it makes no sense.

We can quibble over minutia all day long but at the end of the day, guns are the one common denominator. So, logically, we need to address that problem. 

Think about it. In GA. you cannot register to vote and vote on the same day, but, if you are in a bad mood or having a bad day, go to the local gun store, buy a gun and go mow down a bunch of people....all in a matter of hours. Doesn't that seem a tad bit...I don't know...stupid? 

We had 17 mass shootings in ONE WEEK, how in the hell the right wing can see that and pledge to do nothing at all is truly bizarre. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.2.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @8.2.2    3 years ago

All i will be doing is sitting back and watching what solutions get bandied about  on the state and local levels its happening in . I have no say in how some other state wishes to run its business.

only other thing i can say is do as i have done , live somewhere where the gun laws are to your personal liking .

Saw the sherriff in SJ said the handguns  used were both "california legal", meaning they were on the states approved handgun list for use and posession in the state . the guy simply pulled a virginia tech , and carried 11 extra magazines .....

One thing i will say though , it seems these are always happening in the more urban metroplex areas , almost like its intended to turn those places into the largest  outdoor shooting range with a circular firing line and its some sort of competition on whose is largest , and its usually in places that already have the gun control advocates wish lists of restrictions in place too.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.2.3    3 years ago
One thing i will say though , it seems these are always happening in the more urban metroplex areas

Higher concentrations of people will obviously reflect more incidences of crime, (poverty, homelessness, good teriyaki restaurants, etc..). 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.2.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @8.2.5    3 years ago

I have taken that into account in my thought process, the fact higher populations will have more chances for interaction both good and bad .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.2.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to    3 years ago
children are gunned down in their schools, parishioners are murdered in their churches, workers are shot in their offices, shoppers are butchered at their local grocery...to excuse those devastating outcomes in suggesting there was a lack of ‘situational awareness’ is ignoring the base issue entirely. 

How is this for a base issue?

Schools and churches are usually and predominently considered "gun free" zones .

Most offices and places of employment are as well .

the shoppers in king sooper in colorado KNEW that they had entered a gun free zone per store and corperate policy.

seems the only ones following and adhereing to the "gun free zone " are those with no intent to break any laws or rules .

Now check back and look at where the majority if not all the recent mass shootings have happened 

Choosing to enter a gun free zone is a choice , a situation one does need to be aware of , and the fact that it is only gun free because people will oblige willingly , does not mean someone intent on doing a mass shooting will also comply , if anything , it will insure  there are more casualties because they feel no one has the ability to stop them from a distance.

Those intent on breaking the law , dont give 2 runny rat shits what laws are in place . they DO however look for any edge they can have in their favor to do what they want to .

Tell ya what , get the goobermint to disarm every single criminal , law breaker , and anyone with evil unlawful intent , sort of a trial run , and MAYBE i will consider disarming myself , until then , not going to happen.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.2.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to    3 years ago
...seems, then, there is a simple correlation between population and mass shootings. More armed folks = more deaths. 

One would think so , but i doubt that will hold true , what will hold true is if in those populated areas , people are allowed to have those firearms available as a means of defense if needed .

like i pointed out , most of the places the shootings are happening have some form of gun control advocates wish lists , of creating artificial safety areas that provide absolutely no actual safety against those intent on ignoring them . where people actually turn into sitting ducks  to use the term .

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Texas to the rescue!

Finally-- a way to prevent all these mass murders:

Texas Lawmakers Move to Drop Most Handgun Licensing Requirements

The bill would allow most adults over 21 to carry a handgun. Gov. Greg Abbott, who said he would sign it, called it “the strongest Second Amendment legislation in Texas history.”

More than a million people in Texas have permits to carry handguns. People often head into grocery stores, barber shops, even college campuses carrying guns for protection. In 2019, when a man in a trench coat opened fire with a shotgun in a suburban church outside of Fort Worth, more than half a dozen people who had gathered for the service responded by drawing their own firearms.

Such scenes have been a point of pride in a state that has long seen itself as a model of responsible gun ownership. Guns have been allowed, even encouraged, but the state has had regulations requiring licensing, training and a demonstration of proficiency.

Now, within days, Gov. Greg Abbott is expected to sign a wide-ranging law that will throw much of that regulation out the window, allowing virtually anyone over the age of 21 to carry a handgun, no permit required.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
9.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @9    3 years ago
Texas Lawmakers Move to Drop Most Handgun Licensing Requirements

Vermont has ever since it became a state never required permits  for carry, Alaska i believe was the 2nd state to do so , and Wyoming became the 3rd  or 4th state a number of years ago to go permitless or constitutional carry, and i think unless im wrong , half the states now have some form of constitutional carry for their residents .

Texas is just now doing it ?

Still have Texas beat though ,

As of july 1st , anyone in the state of Wyoming be they resident or not  and are a US Citizen and of legal age to possess and are not federally a prohibited person may carry openly or concealed  whether or not they have a permit from whatever state they reside.

Wyoming has always recognized other states permits anyway, so no real big change .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

With apologies to Bob Dylan...

Americans must get shot

Well, they'll shoot ya when you're trying to be so good
They'll shoot ya just a-like they said they would
They'll shoot ya when you're tryin' to go home
Then they'll shoot ya when you're there all alone

But I would not feel so distraught
Everybody must get shot

Well, they'll shoot ya when you're walkin' 'long the street
They'll shoot ya when you're tryin' to keep your seat
They'll shoot ya when you're walkin' on the floor
They'll shoot ya when you're walkin' to the door

Everybody must get shot

They'll shoot ya when you're at the breakfast table
They'll shoot ya when you are young and able
They'll shoot ya when you're tryin' to make a buck
They'll shoot ya and then they'll say, "Good luck"

Tell ya what, I would not feel so distraught
Everybody must get shot

Well, they'll shoot you and say that it's the end
Then they'll shoot you and then they'll come back again
They'll shoot you when you're riding in your car
They'll shoot you when you're playing your guitar

Yes, but I would not feel so distraught
Everybody must get shot

Well, they'll shoot you when you walk all alone
They'll shoot you when you are walking home
They'll shoot you and then say they are brave
They'll shoot you then set you down in your grave

Everybody must get shot

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I just figured that a really good company to invest in would be the one that manufactures that yellow tape the police use to surround a crime scene.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    3 years ago

or chaulk makers 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @11.1    3 years ago

Or flares.  I came across an accident once and the poor LEO had none so I gave him mine.  He was most grateful.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @11.1    3 years ago

or chaulk makers 

Tough to argue against that one. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.1.1    3 years ago

the old roadway or railroad flares are getting to be something of a rarity now , use to be that truckers had to carry them by DOT reg , but they changed over to those reflective triangles some years back.

part of it was because of the nature of some accidents and the presence of flammables in the wrecks ....

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @11.1    3 years ago
I just figured that a really good company to invest in would be the one that manufactures that yellow tape the police use to surround a crime scene.

Or maybe SWBI?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @11.1.4    3 years ago

personally i like my colts , one in particular as a EDC if i decide its nessisary, the 1911 full sized gets a little cumbersome at times  and since i carry that in condition 2  when i carry it , i get asked questions , my recent purchase of the bond derringer is my EDC for work such as fixing fence , small light , out of sight out of mind and very effective using the 410 shell or the 45 LC on snakes( i have mentioned i hate snakes , specially rattlers) and feral animals . havent had to use more than the 2 shot capacity on that.

Im not investing this year for my own reasons ,  but i am seeing some places where a person can if they wanted to and were patient , could really do well.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @11.1.2    3 years ago

Or, simply...caskets!