╌>

Manchin isn't ready to support Democrats passing infrastructure on their own

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   Jordain Carney (TheHill)

Manchin isn't ready to support Democrats passing infrastructure on their own
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said Thursday that he doesn't yet support Democrats trying to go it alone to pass an infrastructure package, even as a growing number of his colleagues are running out of patience.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sen.  Joe Manchin  (D-W.Va.) said Thursday that he doesn't yet support Democrats trying to go it alone to pass an infrastructure package, even as a growing number of his colleagues are running out of patience. 

Manchin, during separate interviews in West Virginia with NBC and CNN, made it clear that he wants talks between the White House and Republicans, led by fellow West Virginia Sen.  Shelley Moore Capito  (R), to keep going.

"We need to do something in a bipartisan way. ... We're not going to get everything but we can move forward," Manchin told CNN. "These take time. I know everyone is in a hurry right now. ... We've got to work together and that takes a lot of time and energy and patience."

Asked during a separate interview with NBC News if Democrats should try to pass an infrastructure package on their own, Manchin added, "I don't think we should. I really don't."

Infrastructure by reconciliation? Manchin isn't there.
GH. Are you ready to go it alone with just Democrats?@Sen_JoeManchin: No. I don't think we should. I really don't.
GH: At all?
Manchin: I don't think, right now, basically, we need to be bipartisan.

— Garrett Haake (@GarrettHaake) June 3, 2021

Manchin's comments come as many of his Senate Democratic colleagues are ready for the White House to walk away from the talks with Capito, as the two sides remain far apart on the price tag for a potential agreement and how to pay for it.

"Best case: shrunk infrastructure bill w no serious climate stuff; Rs get bipartisan cred. Worst case: delay for nothing. Either way: climate to the curb," Sen.  Sheldon Whitehouse  (D-R.I.)  tweeted this week  about a story on Capito and  President Biden 's latest meeting.

Biden and Capito are expected to talk again on Friday, though some administration officials have suggested they could cut off talks as soon as next week.

Democrats have long acknowledged that they are likely to have to pass an infrastructure package without GOP support, something they can do under a budget process known as reconciliation.

But they need total unity in the Senate to use the fast-track process — something that cannot be achieved in a 50-50 Senate without Manchin.

Manchin told CNN that Capito was expected to give an update to a key group of moderate-minded senators, known as the G-20, next week. The group, he added, would look for ways they could "assist and help" the White House reach a deal on infrastructure with Republicans.

The White House initially viewed Memorial Day as a self-imposed deadline for the talks with the GOP, but have signaled they are willing to stretch it into early June.

Senate Majority Leader  Charles Schumer  (D-N.Y.) has pointed to July as a time frame for Democrats to advance an infrastructure package. 

To do this, they would first need total unity from their caucus, and Vice President Harris, to pass a budget resolution that green-lights bypassing the filibuster on the infrastructure bill. They would then need to pass the subsequent infrastructure package, a herculean task that would require getting every Democratic senator on board.

Manchin, the most conservative member of the Democratic caucus, has found himself in the middle of several fights already this year, including helping sink  Neera Tanden 's Office of Management and Budget nomination, opposing the $15 per hour minimum wage and repeatedly doubling down on his opposition to getting rid of the 60-vote legislative filibuster. 

Biden, during an event in Tulsa this week, made remarks that were widely viewed as criticism of Manchin and Sen.  Kyrsten Sinema  (D-Ariz.), who also opposes gutting the filibuster. 

"I hear all the folks on TV saying, 'Why doesn't Biden get this done?'" he said Tuesday. "Well, because Biden only has a majority of effectively four votes in the House and a tie in the Senate, with two members of the Senate who vote more with my Republican friends."

White House press secretary  Jen Psaki  characterized Biden as riffing on TV pundits rather than criticizing two members of his own party, who he needs to get his agenda through the Senate. 

And Manchin, asked about the comments by CNN, brushed them off.

"I spoke to the White House. I think that was totally out of context," he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Thank God for Manchin.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Thank euphemisms for God.

Moving on, this is news to you?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.1    3 years ago

A Senator holding to his convictions is always newsworthy.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago

Didn't used to be that way, although my memory maybe faulty.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

The Republicans have Liz Cheney, and the Democrats have Joe Manchin - even steven.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    3 years ago

You can have Manchin.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.1    3 years ago

LOL.  What am I supposed to do with him - run him as a candidate to be a member of the Canadian parliament?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    3 years ago

I don't care what you do with him 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Democrats have a far worse and growing problem!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    3 years ago

Oh yes, that always happens once they have power. They'll lose congress in 2022 and the White House in 2024. That is a certainty.

The question Greg, is how much damage will they do between now and then?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    3 years ago

The question is, how much damage we'll be able to clean up from the prior 'administration' by then?

"They'll lose congress in 2022 and the White House in 2024. That is a certainty."

I wouldn't bet on that!  I don't think your chances are so hot when so many admirers of the prior 'president' still think he won!  And will be reinstated in August!  Oh and refusing to back the Capitol riot commission is not helping their chances, at all!  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    3 years ago

Most of the Democrat base is not all that progressive...that's why the Biden agenda is going nowhere fast.

They seem to favor illegal immigrants, Blacks, and transgender people to the exclusion of everyone else

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.2    3 years ago

Oh and refusing to back the Capitol riot commission is not helping their chances, at all!  

You're not keeping up. Neither Biden nor Pelosi want the Commission either

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.3.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    3 years ago
The question Greg, is how much damage will they do between now and then?

The answer Vic, is you will see everything they do as damage.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3.4    3 years ago

That's not true.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.3.5    3 years ago

Come, come now, you seem to want extremism and I want normalcy. They are doing everything Sanders ran on.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    3 years ago

President Biden needs to go ahead then and pass the infrastructure bill through reconciliation.  It looks like Manchin is a lost cause/DINO when it comes to getting things done if he's going to rely on the gop/gqp to ever approve ANYTHING!  OR DO ANYTHING THAT HELPS AMERICANS.  THEY'LL ONLY HELP THEMSELVES.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago
The Dems only want to help certain favored special interest groups....pandering for votes all the while

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    3 years ago

... now there's something Cons never do. @!@

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    3 years ago
The Dems only want to help certain favored special interest groups

Yeah, working class Americans.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 years ago
Yeah, working class Americans.

Who went for Trump

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.1.4  Gazoo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 years ago

“Yeah, working class Americans.“

How does flooding the country with illegals (with plans on msking them legal) help the working class?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Gazoo @2.1.4    3 years ago
flooding the country with illegals

Is that the latest spam folder talking point?  jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.1.6  Gazoo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.5    3 years ago

You don’t have to put up a stupid post. You can just admit you have no answer to that question. See ya.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 years ago

Priceless!!

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif