╌>

States with low vaccination numbers had Covid-19 case rates last week 3 times higher than others where people are fully vaccinated

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  65 comments

By:   By Deidre McPhillips, Steve Almasy and Madeline Holcombe

States with low vaccination numbers had Covid-19 case rates last week 3 times higher than others where people are fully vaccinated
When you compare states with high vaccination rates to states that are lagging, the difference in the number of people getting Covid-19 is staggering.

Related Covid news:

Black Woman Cashier Shot And Killed After Asking Customer To Wear F ace Mask

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Photo: CNN

When you compare states with high  vaccination rates  to states that are lagging, the difference in the number of people getting  Covid-19 is staggering.

Over the past week, states that have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents have reported an average Covid-19 case rate that is about a third of that in states which have fully vaccinated less than half of their residents,

Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas are the only states to have fully vaccinated fewer than 35% of their residents. Average daily case rates in each state were among the 10 worst in the country last week.

Vermont leads the nation with about 66% of its population fully vaccinated -- and while case rates there increased compared to last week, the state still had the lowest case rate in the country last week

"We really need to get more people vaccinated, because that's the solution," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Monday on "CBS This Morning." "This virus will, in fact, be protected against by the vaccine."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

When you compare states with high   vaccination rates   to states that are lagging, the difference in the number of people getting   Covid-19  is staggering.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Over the past week, states that have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents have reported an average Covid-19 case rate that is about a third of that in states which have fully vaccinated less than half of their residents,

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas are the only states to have fully vaccinated fewer than 35% of their residents. Average daily case rates in each state were among the 10 worst in the country last week.

Vermont leads the nation with about 66% of its population fully vaccinated -- and while case rates there increased compared to last week, the state still had the lowest case rate in the country last week

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

Parts of Missouri are in a really serious situation currently re the new Delta strain of COVID.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4    3 years ago

Its a simple case of "cause and effect".

Higher vaccination rates lead to a much lower number of cases. 

Lower vaccination rates lead to a much higher number of cases.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago

I read that the longer people hesitate and we let the virus stay in circulation, the greater the chances of mutation.

Letting it continue to circulate is the worse thing we can do.

Imo the anti vax people are not only harming others but themselves.

Yet they act like they don't care and it is nothing.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago

People still dying of Covid in NYC hospitals have one thing in common. They are not vaccinated...

Vaccinated people, even if they contract a strain of the virus, don't requiring hospitalization.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago
I read that the longer people hesitate and we let the virus stay in circulation, the greater the chances of mutation. Letting it continue to circulate is the worse thing we can do.

This is very true, but it's a world-wide issue.  Not just limited to the US.  I do wish everybody would get the vaccination but we are many years away from any possible eradication of this virus. How long did it take to get rid of polio?  

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    3 years ago

Around here people are acting like there never was a pandemic.

Refusing to take any precautions.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @5    3 years ago
Around here people are acting like there never was a pandemic. Refusing to take any precautions.

Probably within the next week or so we should see the results of their actions (or more accurately, the results of their inaction).  jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Ender  replied to  Krishna @5.1    3 years ago

We already are. Cases on the rise. Now we have 12 children (under 18) that are in serious condition in the hospital. Ten on ventilators.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    3 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @6    3 years ago

There's no cure for "Stuck on Stupid"...

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @6    3 years ago

She's wrong on several counts.

And BTW,  it works with RNA, not DNA-- a major breakthough in vaccine development!

One that should have many future uses in vaccine development for other diseases as well...

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.2    3 years ago

IIRC, in the past most (all?) vaccines were a weakened form of the virus causing the disease.

Weak enough so that the person receiving it either wouldn't contract the disease at all, or else the vaccine would give them an extremely weak case of the disease.

But: strong enough to cause the body to develop an immune response.

However fairly recently there was a major breakthrough in vaccine development...I believe first used by the company of Moderna. This RNA technology also used by a company called Bioentech (they developed it, and partnered with a very large pharma company called Pfizer who distributes it).

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.2.1    3 years ago

I believe that now there are currently only two available vaccines using this new RNA technology-- the "Moderna vaccine" and the "Pfizer vaccine".

Apparently there are several other companies developing the more "conventional" type, using a weakened form of the virus.

I could be wrong, but it seems the RNA type is better-- probably slightly more effective (?). Also while there a a few extremely rare cases of side effects, I believe the RNA type may have an even lower rate of side effects (?)

When I went to get vaccinated, I was hoping I could request either the Pfizer Vaccine or the Moderna one. But fortunately as it turned the only one easily available to me at the time was the Pfizer, so that's what I got.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Ender  replied to  Krishna @6.2.2    3 years ago

I got the Moderna. I would have just taken what was available at the time.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @6.2.3    3 years ago
I got the Moderna. I would have just taken what was available at the time.

I actually felt the same way-- I would've taken the first one available. If given a choice, I would've chosen one of the RNA vaccines-- but it wasn't a big deal.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2.5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Krishna @6.2.2    3 years ago
I could be wrong, but it seems the RNA type is better-- probably slightly more effective (?). Also while there a a few extremely rare cases of side effects, I believe the RNA type may have an even lower rate of side effects (?)

Both accounts are correct. I spoke with my doctor and pharmacist about them. The one that's had the most side effects is the J&J, most of which were women on oral, dermal or subdermal birth control.

My husband got his first Moderna shot last week and he has to get his second in a few weeks. Oddly enough, he didn't feel great the day after his first shot, but he hardly ever gets sick, so I'd imagine it was because his immune system was triggered. Who knows how he'll feel after the second shot, because everyone that I've talked to said that they felt fine after the first one and shitty after the second [if they had any side effects at all other than a sore arm].

My son will be getting the Pfizer, because that's the only one that's approved for 12 and older [he'll be 13 in a couple weeks].

My daughter and I decided to get the J&J, but that was our personal decision. The only side effects were that we felt like shit the day after; we had body aches, joint aches, headaches, and we were exhausted. However, I figure that since we felt like we got hit by a truck, it certainly triggered our immune systems. Two days after we were vaccinated, we were fine and we went to Cedar Point.

The adopted one... I don't know which one he will decide to get. He'll probably get the Pfizer with my son, because they can go together. If not, he can go to another pharmacy and get one of the other ones if he chooses... he's 20 now, so it's up to him.

I've found that the people that have the side effects like my daughter and I experienced, had not gone through menopause [speaking of women of course]. I haven't heard very many complaints from men at all. My husband felt tired and overall just blah. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2.5    3 years ago
[if they had any side effects at all other than a sore arm]

That was me. Just a sore arm. That went away after a day or two.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2.7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @6.2.6    3 years ago

That's the most I've heard from post-menopausal women and men. I don't understand the correlation really.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2.5    3 years ago

I haven't heard very many complaints from men at all.

Well that may or may not be because men have milder reactions.

For example, it might be because generally men complain less about physical symptoms.

Or it may be due to what statisticians call a "small sample size" (that the men that you have heard discuss it might not be representative of all men...).

Sometimes people over-generalize about people based only on the people they know personally.

OTOH, it may be that women are more "aware"!

Or perhaps some other reasons... 

I don't really know!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2.9  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Krishna @6.2.8    3 years ago

I'm aware that there are a lot of variables to the statements. I just know how the men in my life act when they don't feel well. I can only go by what I'm witnessing personally. However, the pharmacist did say that he's witnessed far more side effects in pre-menopausal women. So, there's that. He sees and talks to more people getting vaccinated in my area than I do, no doubt. They made us stay at the pharmacy for 15 minutes to make sure we don't have adverse and immediate effects.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @6    3 years ago

Perhaps we should wait for the autopsy........ya think?

"After the death of a recently-minted nurse in Lafayette this weekend, Ochsner Lafayette General disputed social media claims that complications from COVID-19 took her life.

Amy Olivia Guidry, who graduated from LSU Alexandria with a nursing degree in fall 2019, died Saturday after being hospitalized, according to friends on social media.

In a statement Monday, OLG disputed claims on social media that Guidry's death was caused by complications from COVID-19, saying that "the cause of her untimely death is unclear at this time and will be determined by an autopsy, with results not expected for several days."

Guidry, according to social media posts from family and friends, died Saturday from neurological complications after recently testing positive for COVID-19.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.3    3 years ago

Wouldn't that still be complications from the virus.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @6.3.1    3 years ago

Could be but when the hospital claims that it perhaps wasn't Covid, who knows.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @6.3.1    3 years ago

Maybe yes, maybe no

Ender
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.3.2    3 years ago

Yeah but according to the one article she spiked a high fever and they put her into a medically induced coma.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.3.5  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @6.3.3    3 years ago

Sounds like both are trying to cover their reputations.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.3.7  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @6.3.1    3 years ago

Yes, that would be a complication. Medical science is discovering cardiac, renal, and neurological complications associated with Covid. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @6.3.5    3 years ago
Sounds like both are trying to cover their reputations.

And then there's the case of people with certain political views who will search for some extremely rare cases of negative reactions to Covid vaccines-- and constantly mention that. (Even if the frequency of the negative reactions is very small-- the same as with other medications). 

Why? Because rather being interested in facts, they are trying to push some political agenda! 

(Strange, eh?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @6.3.1    3 years ago
Wouldn't that still be complications from the virus.

Strangely enough, the answer to that might depend upon one's political biases...(?)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.4  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @6    3 years ago

This isn't rocket science. It's medical science and just plain common sense: there's a pandemic and it's killing people. So people should  get the vaccine and protect themselves and others. It's mind boggling that in this day and age, some people reject or refuse to be vaccinated.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.4.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Gordy327 @6.4    3 years ago

Might this be a culling of the stupid?

Unfortunately they are going to take a bunch of smarter people with them....!

evilone
Professor Guide
6.4.2  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.4.1    3 years ago

Those were my very thoughts last night when watching the evening news.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.4.3  Gordy327  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.4.1    3 years ago

Possibly. And they're asking for it too.

Unfortunately they are going to take a bunch of smarter people with them....!

That's part of the problem.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Gordy327 @6.4    3 years ago
It's mind boggling that in this day and age, some people reject or refuse to be vaccinated.

Well... I used to find that sort of utter stupidity to be mind boggling. But over time, while I still really how nutty that is..I guess I've gotten used to hearing that sort of thing. jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

When I see that sort of self-defeating and irrational type of attitude, it reminds me of a quote by Albert Einstein:

I know of t wo things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not entirely sure about the former . . . 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.4.5  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @6.4.4    3 years ago
I used to find that sort of utter stupidity to be mind boggling.

I still do. 

I know of two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not entirely sure about the former .

My quote is, "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people."

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
6.4.6  FortunateSon  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.4.1    3 years ago

Possibly, however eugenisists would not be targetting people they can't get to.

Worldwide, the scared and gullible who run for the vaccine or are forced to take it out number the stupid who dont trust the vaccine.

Just sayin

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.4.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  FortunateSon @6.4.6    3 years ago

You fight the enemy that is in front of you with the weapons you have.

Those that are not getting vaccinated are putting everyone else, including the vaccinated at risk because of the variants they are allowing to develop.  Given what we have seen out of this virus, it has the potential to mutate into a much more communicable and deadly strain.    

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.4.8  Gordy327  replied to  FortunateSon @6.4.6    3 years ago

That shows people are ignorant or misinformed about the vaccine. Some don't trust the vaccine, but are willing to risk getting a disease which has a fair chance of killing them and/or spreading to others. Refusing to get the vaccine at this point is just irrational and irresponsible. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 years ago

Why is this so hard? I got my vaccine the very first day I could. So did my kids. 

What holds people back from getting a vaccine? I’m willing to bet 99% of people avoiding this vaccine have had some other kind of vaccine. What makes this one special?

Worried about severe side effects? The effects from actually getting Covid are much worse.

If you haven’t been vaccinated, then every day that you delay, you increase the chance that you could be infected, spread the disease to someone else, and promote mutation of deadlier or more contagious variants. What gives you the right to put the rest of humanity at such risk?

Once upon a time, we all got together and happily took polio vaccines. We haven’t had a case of it in the US since 1979. Then we all got smallpox shots (not me personally; I’m too young) and that hasn’t been seen anywhere in the world since 1977. 

Do people really want to just live with Covid for the rest of our lives?

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 years ago

I was the first year the smallpox was not mandated.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 years ago
What holds people back from getting a vaccine?

People like Tucker Carlson.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  evilone @7.2    3 years ago

Actually I think watching too much Fox News in general....

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.2.1    3 years ago
Actually I think watching too much Fox News in general....

Well, to be more accurate...its if Fox News is one's only source of News. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 years ago
What holds people back from getting a vaccine? I’m willing to bet 99% of people avoiding this vaccine have had some other kind of vaccine. What makes this one special?

Some politicians have made this a political issue, And some gullible people believe their bullshit.

That's why.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

99% of infections/hospitalizations/deaths over the past two weeks here have occurred with people who did not get vaccinated.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    3 years ago

And that's a surprise why? Why in the world would someone who got the vaccine be a statistic in your comment if it works?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1    3 years ago
Why in the world would someone who got the vaccine be a statistic in your comment if it works?

Because it’s not 100%. Most vaccines aren’t. But they are still waaayyyy more effective than just relying on your own immune system. The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are about 95% effective. As vaccines go, that’s phenomenal.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1    3 years ago
Why in the world would someone who got the vaccine be a statistic in your comment if it works?

Because the % of people who get the vaccine is a number (percentages are numbers). And therefore percentages are statistics!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Krishna @8.1.2    3 years ago

What I meant was if the vaccine works, very few if any should die from it. Therefore pointing out the "unvaccinated" number seems a bit obvious. One would expect those with no vaccine to be the highest statistical infected/hospitalized/die from the disease.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.3    3 years ago

There's another issue to consider with the unvaccinated. If infected, they also become walking laboratories for the virus to mutate into variants, which the vaccine may be less effective or even ineffective, enabling even those vaccinated to become infected.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.3    3 years ago
Therefore pointing out the "unvaccinated" number seems a bit obvious. One would expect those with no vaccine to be the highest statistical infected/hospitalized/die from the disease.

Unfortunately, to around 1/3 of the population, it is not OBVIOUS.  That's why news agencies, doctors, some politicians, keep repeating it.  

People who are unvaccinated are the ones catching COVID, and sometimes even dying from it.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @8.1.5    3 years ago

Anyone who doesn't have the vaccination and doesn't live under a rock knows the risk. And it has been repeated ad nauseum for months that it could kill you. Personal choice and responsibility HAS to come in to play. If they don't get the shot, that's on them. We cannot save everybody especially those who think they are invincible. We can only do so much.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.6    3 years ago
Anyone who doesn't have the vaccination and doesn't live under a rock knows the risk.

No.  Anyone who gets their news from FoxNews, OAN, Breitbart, etc., have been told that it is not only not necessary, but some kind of government plot.

Anyone who doesn't have the vaccination SHOULD know the risk, but unfortunately too many would rather suffer from willful ignorance.

And it has been repeated ad nauseum for months that it could kill you.

It has been repeated in the mainstream media, but we all know what certain people think of the mainstream media.

Personal choice and responsibility HAS to come in to play.

I agree, it is just unfortunate that so many people are making those choices without the knowledge that they refuse to get.

If they don't get the shot, that's on them.

I truly wish that were true.  If they don't get the shot it is on them, AND anyone they come into contact with, family, friends, 1st responders, medical personal, etc.  If that catch COVID, they are opening up trouble for a lot of other people.

We cannot save everybody especially those who think they are invincible. We can only do so much.

You are correct, but we must try to save them, because that is the only way to save everyone else.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.3    3 years ago
One would expect those with no vaccine to be the highest statistical infected/hospitalized/die from the disease.

And its beyond mere "expectation"-- the data has been coming in. 

Its now a proven fact!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Krishna @8.1.8    3 years ago
And its beyond mere "expectation"-- the data has been coming in.  Its now a proven fact!

Despite that, the level of denial that some of these people show is mind boggling. 

Over 600,000 American deaths, and now we're to the point that all the current COVID deaths, and most hospitalizations, are unvaccinated people.  Yet they still deny what is staring them in the face!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    3 years ago
99% of infections/hospitalizations/deaths over the past two weeks here have occurred with people who did not get vaccinated.

Candidates for Darwin Awards!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

The anti-vaxers are suicidal, and IMO the world would be better off without them anyway because they are also disease-spreaders.

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    3 years ago

"Notably, more than 99% of those being treated in hospitals for COVID-19 are unvaccinated."  (USA Today)

Ender
Professor Principal
10  Ender    3 years ago

Now here is a good idea....Haha

@CBSLA
JOINTS FOR JABS: A group of Long Beach community organizations have come together to hold a COVID-19 vaccination event with a twist: the vaccine recipients will receive a free pre-rolled marijuana joint. https:// cbsloc.al/3yX9CAC

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
10.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @10    3 years ago

Damn! Why couldn't that be offered here in MI! jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
11  Ender    3 years ago
@donwinslow
·
Jul 13
34 states report a 50% increase in new #COVID19 cases. This is being driven by the non-vaccinated nationwide.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @11    3 years ago
34 states report a 50% increase in new #COVID19 cases. This is being driven by the non-vaccinated nationwide.

Correct! 

And yet, there is part of the mainstream media that is actually urging people to resist get vaccinated! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png