Multiple U.S. troops, Afghan civilians killed in Kabul airport attack - Axios

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  expatingb  •  3 months ago  •  85 comments

By:   Dave Lawler (Axios)

Multiple U.S. troops, Afghan civilians killed in Kabul airport attack - Axios
"Casualties are unclear at this time," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said.

AT LEAST 10 American Military killed and the Pentagon sources note the toll will likely go higher as there are a number with severe injuries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Dave Lawler, Laurin-Whitney Gottbrath

Smoke rises after two explosions outside Hamid Karzai International Airport. Photo: Haroon Sabawoon/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

The Pentagon has confirmed that multiple U.S. troops and "a number of Afghan civilians" were killed in an attack outside the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul on Thursday. Additional U.S. troops are being treated for injuries.

What we know: The "complex attack" involved an explosion at the Abbey Gate entrance to the airport and a second explosion "at or near the Baron Hotel," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said.

The big picture: The explosions followed warnings from the U.S. and allies about a potential terror attack near the airport, where thousands of Afghans have gathered in hopes of fleeing the country.

• The State Department on Wednesday night urged Americans not to travel to the airport and to leave immediately if they were gathered near the Abbey Gate, East Gate or North Gate. The department reiterated that warning after Thursday's explosions.
  • The U.K. and Australia gave similar warnings. James Heappey, the British armed forces minister, told the BBC that the threat of a suicide attack by ISIS forces was "credible, imminent and lethal."
  • The White House has stressed for several days that the possibility of an attack from ISIS-K was one factor pushing them to attempt to complete the evacuation operation by Aug. 31.

The latest: Photos shared by Afghanistan's TOLO News showed injured people, bleeding and being carried away from the blast site.

• The Taliban has reported that at least 13 people were killed and that many Taliban guards were wounded, per Reuters. About 60 people injured in the blasts have been treated at the NGO Emergency's surgical center so far, the organization said.
  • The Taliban condemned the attack and claimed it took place in an area where the U.S. was handling security.
  • Between the lines: The U.S. has security control of the airport itself but the Taliban is in control beyond the perimeter.

A view after two explosions reported outside Hamid Karzai International Airport. Photo: Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Thursday's attack came as President Biden was meeting with his national security team on Afghanistan in the Situation Room.

• He delayed his meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett, set for 11:30am ET, because those consultations were still ongoing, Axios' Barak Ravid reports.

Several NATO allies have ended their evacuation operations due to the terror threat and the need to prioritize the evacuation of U.S. troops over the coming days.

• Kirby said earlier on Thursday that the evacuation mission would continue through Aug. 31, but it's unclear whether civilians will still be able to enter the airport after Thursday's attack.
  • Thousands of Afghans and hundreds of Americans are still attempting to flee. For now, Americans are being advised to stay away.
  • Norway's foreign minister has said that the country will no longer be able to evacuate any civilians because "the doors at the airport are now closed and it is no longer possible to get people in."

A view after two explosions reported outside Hamid Karzai International Airport. Photo: Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Go deeper: U.S. allies scramble to leave Afghanistan

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Participates
1  seeder  exexpatnowinTX    3 months ago

What will our response be?  Will we beg forgiveness and ask them may we please leave your country?

Gordy327
Professor Principal
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @1    3 months ago
What will our response be?  Will we beg forgiveness and ask them may we please leave your country?

We should bomb the whole country until it's just a giant parking lot. That's what we should have done to begin with.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @1    3 months ago

Locate the ISIS K villages along the Pakistan border and drop some MOABs and Daisy cutters while the drones film it all.

Wait a week and then do it again.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    3 months ago

08-biden-surren-li-1080-390x220.jpg

A.F. Branco August 26, 2021

A.F. Branco Cartoon – Surrender In Chief

Biden’s surrender to the Taliban in Afghanistan has put blood on his hands. Political cartoon by A.F. Branco ©2021. 

Read More »

Thrawn 31
PhD Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    3 months ago

[Deleted]

Put your money (or you) where your mouth is. 

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Participates
3  Moose Knuckle    3 months ago

12 Marines and 1 Navy Medic dead now. Awful day for our country, Awful few weeks for our allies and citizens in Afghanistan as we cowardly abandon them.

Joe Biden is unfit to serve and must resign. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Moose Knuckle @3    3 months ago

This is just horrible.  

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Participates
3.2  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Moose Knuckle @3    3 months ago
Joe Biden is unfit to serve and must resign. 

I have always dreaded that idea, but now need to accept it.

Three and a half years with Kamala Harris as President is looking acceptable in comparison.  I honestly don't believe I actually said that!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @3.2    3 months ago

Sadly, I agree.  

Ed-NavDoc
PhD Quiet
3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Moose Knuckle @3    3 months ago

Actually, it was 11 Marines and 1 U.S. Navy FMF  (Fleet Marine Force) Hospital Corpsman. Army and Air Force have medics. Navy has Corpsmen.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Participates
4  Moose Knuckle    3 months ago

It's hard to imagine this is real, a US president relying on the Taliban for security and safe passage to an airport full of US troops who are essentially surrounded and out numbered?  

This administration is a complete disaster! 

The President takes questions from the press the other day and his staff cuts the mic to keep a man with dementia from exposing his ailment? He hires a cabinet and staff of left wing ideologues who are fascinated with men wearing skirts and white supremacy. None of them are capable operating a lemonade stand that passes out free lemonade.

It will go down in history as the worst assembly of Morons to every occupy the White House.

Ronin2
PhD Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Moose Knuckle @4    3 months ago

All the Democrats and left can say is "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!"  Their battle cry is beyond pathetic. 

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
4.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    3 months ago
All the Democrats and left can say is "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" 

Biden pulled that again at his pathetic press conference yesterday.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Participates
4.2  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Moose Knuckle @4    3 months ago
It will go down in history as the worst assembly of Morons to every occupy the White House.

And one needs to remember that all of those morons had worked in the Obama administration.  E V E R Y   O N E   of them.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    3 months ago

Again I remain mystified as to how the USA could allow this to happen.  

• Did Biden somehow override the entire intelligence and logistical expertise of the US military and civilian operations?  [Seems impossible.]  
  • Did he single-handedly dissipate the competence of the USA?   [Impossible. ]
  • Did he order them to NOT have contingency plans?   [Highly unlikely.]  
  • Did our nation intentionally hobble its efforts by leaving but one airport operational?  [Are we this shortsighted?] 
  • How could we not have a clear, approved path for all citizens and allies to safely leave with military protection BEFORE withdrawing the military?  [Obvious order.]

Biden's decision to pull out was apparently based on a certainty that the Afghan government and military would remain intact.   That is clearly a mistake at the Biden level of decision making.  

• Did we not know the fragility of the Afghan government (and military)?   [Of course we knew.]
  • Did our military leaders simply accept Biden dismissing such an important factor (assuming he did) without providing military options to deal with the plausible collapse of the Afghan government?  [Implausible.]
  • How could the balance of decision makers in the military and civilian government operations NOT have contingency plans for a failure in the Afghan forces?  [Seems impossible that this was overlooked.]
  • How could we not ensure that the Taliban would never be able to possess billions of dollars of USA equipment, supplies and weapons?  [Profound blunder.]

No matter how wrong Biden's decisions were, we still have the reality that the balance of our government has failed so miserably in what should have been a well-planned, well-orchestrated, safe withdrawal.

Just blows my mind that our nation —our government, our military— could be this incompetent.   As CiC, Biden is responsible for all the failures but what bothers me far more than Biden's poor decisions is the apparent incompetence of the military and government machine.

My questions are rhetorical since nobody on this site could possibly know the answers.   All anyone can offer are opinions and most will be based on partisan 'thinking' rather than objective analysis.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Participates
5.1  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  TᵢG @5    3 months ago
As CiC, Biden is responsible for all the failures but what bothers me far more than Biden's poor decisions is the apparent incompetence of the military and government machine.

It is not the incompetence of the "machine".  They were following orders.  That is what I fault the "leaders" for.  Self preservation over as they say 'Doing what is right'.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1    3 months ago

That makes no sense.   Our machine is too complex for orders from a PotUS to translate into non-decisions made at every level.    It is impossible to engage in an initiative like this without a collaboration of decision makers throughout the machine.   My questions made this point.   For example, how is it possible that we did not have a contingency plan in place in case the Afghan military fell flat?   Did Biden order that NO contingency plans be formulated (a routine procedure)?

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Participates
5.1.2  seeder  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.1    3 months ago
Our machine is too complex for orders from a PotUS to translate into non-decisions made at every level.

The "machine" is quite capable of doing just that.  "Orders" are given and executed...   The 'but sir' questions, suggestions and pleas are ignored and those lower on the totem pole are basically told to shut up and execute...   right or wrong is immaterial, it's the orders that matter.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1.2    3 months ago

I simplified my set of questions @5 down to one question to make this real simple.   You ignored it:

TiG @5.1.1 ☞ For example, how is it possible that we did not have a contingency plan in place in case the Afghan military fell flat?   Did Biden order that NO contingency plans be formulated (a routine procedure)?

GregTx
Sophomore Participates
5.1.4  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    3 months ago

I would imagine that what's happening now is the contingency plan. Wouldn't you?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @5.1.4    3 months ago

Scrambling is a pretty crappy contingency plan.   I would have expected a plan that at least fortifies safe passage rather than one that relies upon the good faith of the Taliban and on the incompetence of other radical forces like ISIS-K to take timely advantage of our exposure.

GregTx
Sophomore Participates
5.1.6  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.5    3 months ago

I agree and yet here we are...

GregTx
Sophomore Participates
5.1.7  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.5    3 months ago

Perhaps this is a result of being more concerned about how "woke" or diverse an administration is as opposed to how much experience they have.

Kathleen
Professor Principal
5.2  Kathleen  replied to  TᵢG @5    3 months ago

My husband and I had the same conversation in your post.  I still can’t understand why he did what he did. I have been angry over this. It’s too late now, now we are in a bad position that could have been orchestrated better. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Kathleen @5.2    3 months ago

I am concerned, for good reason, that this is more than simply poor decisions by Biden.

Kathleen
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Kathleen  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.1    3 months ago

I am sure he has people telling him what he should do, but I would think he has the ultimate decision. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.2    3 months ago

Of course he has the ultimate decision but his is far from the only decision.  I am concerned with Biden's decisions and am also concerned with the decisions throughout.   When a PotUS makes a decision it is not as if all decisions to carry it out are ipso facto made.   Initiatives such as this withdrawal are extremely complicated and from what we can observe from the sidelines our problems go beyond Biden making bad calls.

Kathleen
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Kathleen  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.3    3 months ago

Well the people that are also making these decisions are the people in his administration. So I agree about that and we should be concerned because I think out leadership is very weak right now. For the sake of our country, I hope that things do get better, we will have to wait and see..

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.4    3 months ago
Well the people that are also making these decisions are the people in his administration.

And beyond his administration.   Unless you consider the Generals and the permanent government officials who span administrations part of his administration.

I have noticed that there is a reluctance for many here to recognize that our military and government do not fundamentally change on each administration.   It is not as if a new PotUS fires / demotes our military leadership (e.g.  as in replacing generals) or all of our civilian leadership.   And, importantly, a new administration does not cause this machinery to suddenly become inept and lose both its knowledge and ability to execute.   The executive branch changes and thus the people making the big decisions and that chain of command changes, but decisions are made throughout on large initiatives and established processes are in place to ensure the many moving parts work properly.

So, again, my example, did Biden prohibit the military from developing its routine contingency plans?   Did he command them to ignore the (likely) possibility that the Afghan military would fail or that the Taliban would make early moves?   Did he command civilian operations to wait until people are stranded before preparing the processing logistics (intent to leave, paperwork, authorizations, etc.) for evacuation?   Did he command them to have no plan to destroy or recover billions of dollars of equipment and supplies so they do not fall into the hands of the enemy?

See @5.

Seems to me that we have serious problems beyond the Biden administration.

Kathleen
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Kathleen  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.5    3 months ago

Yes, I read it and voted on your comment when I saw it. Then according to your last sentence, we need a strong leadership  administration if you think it’s more then just them.  That’s becoming clearer everyday. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
5.2.7  bccrane  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.5    3 months ago
So, again, my example, did Biden prohibit the military from developing its routine contingency plans?   Did he command them to ignore the (likely) possibility that the Afghan military would fail or that the Taliban would make early moves?   Did he command civilian operations to wait until people are stranded before preparing the processing logistics (intent to leave, paperwork, authorizations, etc.) for evacuation?   Did he command them to have no plan to destroy or recover billions of dollars of equipment and supplies so they do not fall into the hands of the enemy?

Yes, when he declared a date certain that our military would be out of Afghanistan by 9-11-21, the military started it's pull back to  Kabul and as we left the Taliban saw their chance to take over the outer provinces and without the US back up the early Afghan military they came against found them easy to beat without air support which emboldened the Taliban and demoralized the Afghan military fighters, at this point a true leader would've stopped the  pull back and reengaged the Taliban by supporting the Afghan military and changed the timeline until the time of the year that the Taliban would've been slowed by the weather.  Instead Biden was hell bent on keeping the symbolic 9-11 date.

Do you think the the "machinery" prefers to work with one administration and against another?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.8  TᵢG  replied to  bccrane @5.2.7    3 months ago
Do you think the the "machinery" prefers to work with one administration and against another?

No.   And your question suggests you did not follow my point.

Yes, ...

We shall (maybe) see.  Your hypothesis is that Biden has single-handedly caused our military and civilian operations to plan and execute incompetently.   Biden made the big decisions but you claim that his poor judgement somehow caused the military to NOT have a contingency plan for early Taliban control.   That he caused civilian operations to NOT have a well-planned process for effectively vetting and authorizing individuals for travel.    Etc.  etc.

Biden clearly fucked this up, but what concerns me greatly is the fact that our military and civilian machine could be rendered incompetent.

That is what I am most interested in following because the machinery absolutely does not play favorites with one administration over another and thus systemic problems exist with or without poor executive judgment.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
5.2.9  bccrane  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.8    3 months ago

Do you think that maybe the military and civilian machinery was rendered incompetent from being overwhelmed by the speed in which Biden fucked it up?  His actions emboldened the Taliban and when they took over territories at increasing speed, instead of pushing back, Biden decided to withdraw sooner, demoralizing the Afghan military and overwhelming all resources.  So yes his doing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  bccrane @5.2.9    3 months ago
So yes his doing.

I think that all you want to do is blame Biden.  Yes, of course, Biden is the CiC.   Biden being at ultimate fault is a no-brainer.   I am well passed that (the simple analysis) and am concerned with how this happened and am not satisfied that this is merely the result of poor executive decisions.   If so then it is unsettling (understatement) that the workings of our military and civilian ops could be rendered incompetent.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
5.2.11  bccrane  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.10    3 months ago

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.

The "machinery" was overwhelmed by poor executive decisions, instead of using the US military to help slow their advance or even waiting and letting the weather slow the Taliban's advance, he made the poor judgement of pulling back to Kabul figuring it was a safe bet since the Taliban could not possibly just walk right into Afghanistan's capitol even after witnessing what happened to every other provincial capitol that the Taliban easily took over.

Now we're in the position of the Taliban demanding we leave by the 31st and Biden putting his foot down and saying we will be out of Afghanistan by the 31st no matter what the Taliban demands.

I'm sure the Taliban's advance wasn't limited to goat trails.  The speed in which they advanced meant they were traveling the main roads to get from place to place, we had to have seen them, so why didn't we do something about that?  Who's decision was that?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  bccrane @5.2.11    3 months ago
Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.

Sometimes it merely satisfies partisan objectives while missing the boat.    Your scenario continues to focus only on Biden and presumes that he has the ability to prevent the military from developing its routine contingency plans, monitoring activities of the Taliban, processing chatter into intelligence.   The CiC does not replace the generals, does not replace field intelligence, does not make all operational decisions.

Our military and field ops, it would seem, found themselves (by surprise) in a scenario for which they were wholly unprepared.   That, if true, is of great concern.

Sean Treacy
Professor Expert
6  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

U.S. officials in Kabul gave the Taliban a list of names of American citizens, green card holders and Afghan allies to grant entry into the militant-controlled outer perimeter of the city’s airport, a choice that’s prompted outrage behind the scenes from lawmakers and military officials.

The move, detailed to POLITICO by three U.S. and congressional officials, was designed to expedite the evacuation of tens of thousands of people from Afghanistan as chaos erupted in Afghanistan’s capital city last week after the Taliban seized control of the country. It also came as the Biden administration has been relying on the Taliban for security outside the airport…

“Basically, they just put all those Afghans on a kill list,”   said one defense official, who like others spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive topic.   “It’s just appalling and shocking and makes you feel unclean.”

“They had to do that because of the security situation the White House created by allowing the Taliban to control everything outside the airport,” one U.S. official said.

We are trying to evacuate people because the Taliban will kill them for helping us. We then provide a list of those people to the Taliban who helped us.This is insanity.  How are people this criminally stupid allowed any sort of power?  

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
6.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    3 months ago
U.S. officials in Kabul gave the Taliban a list of names of American citizens, green card holders and Afghan allies to grant entry into the militant-controlled outer perimeter of the city’s airport, a choice that’s prompted outrage behind the scenes from lawmakers and military officials.

I've been watching today's Pentagon briefing/press conference. General Hank Taylor said the opposite of what you posted, even though multiple media sources are in agreement with your comment.  So ... more lies and cover-ups from Taylor.

Kirby, Biden's SoS bumbling numbskull, said that the administration will no longer be giving us daily number updates of US military, US citizens, green card holders, SIVs, etc., who, in reality will be stranded and abandoned as of August 31, 2021. More cover-ups.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
6.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    3 months ago

It was apparently the British Embassy that left the files of Afghan employees and applicants behind.

Report: Afghan staff details left behind at UK Kabul embassy (msn.com)

Kirby, Biden's SoS bumbling numbskull, said that the administration will no longer be giving us daily number updates of US military, US citizens, green card holders, SIVs, etc., who, in reality will be stranded and abandoned as of August 31, 2021. More cover-ups.

Ross Wilson says he is in negotiations for both a limited diplomatic presence in Kabul and Taliban assurances that Americans and others will be allowed to come and go unimpeded.  The Taliban need us as much as we will need them.

Ross Wilson says reports of US embassy closing are not true | Ariana News

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
6.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.1    3 months ago
It was apparently the British Embassy that left the files of Afghan employees and applicants behind.

Oh? These MB/FC "approved" left wing sites paint a very different picture. None mention the British Embassy.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
6.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.2    3 months ago

No one mentioned the fact that 2 Britons and a UK dependent child were killed by one of the suicide bombers yet either,

Does that mean that they are alive?

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
6.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.3    3 months ago

I don't play the move goal posts game.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
6.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.4    3 months ago

Sorry, I mistook you for a professional.

Moving on...

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
6.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.5    3 months ago
Sorry, I mistook you for a professional.

After being presented with 5 valid left wing sites to rebut your claim, the best comment you can make is to state that I'm not a professional. So be it, SP.

Moving on...

Indeed.

shona1
Sophomore Participates
7  shona1    3 months ago

So sad to hear the dreadful news this morning of the souls lost in Kabul...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Principal
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @7    3 months ago

ditto

sixpick
Professor Participates
7.2  sixpick  replied to  shona1 @7    3 months ago

These are the US service members killed in the Kabul airport attack

1stwarrior
Professor Guide
7.2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  sixpick @7.2    3 months ago

Semper Fi Marines - Semper Fi.

shona1
Sophomore Participates
7.2.2  shona1  replied to  sixpick @7.2    3 months ago

Anoon six...yes their photos and their history is on the news here..

Heart breaking for all concerned and all way to young..but serving their country and helping people..thank you to them for their service...🥀🇦🇺🇺🇲

Ed-NavDoc
PhD Quiet
7.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @7.2.1    3 months ago

And their Corpsman.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.3    3 months ago

Can you take me higher

Ed-NavDoc
PhD Quiet
7.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @7.2.4    3 months ago

Sorry, I don't get your meaning.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.6  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.5    3 months ago

Not surprised.

Thrawn 31
PhD Guide
8  Thrawn 31    3 months ago

We should have been gone with our Afghan friends. 

Thrawn 31
PhD Guide
9  Thrawn 31    3 months ago

My heart to those who lost their lives.. rest well my brothers and sisters, and my deepest sympathies to their families. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Principal
10  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

When I read that there were a bunch of University of Southern California students there, I wondered why anyone who does not HAVE to be in a really dangerous place want to go there.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Principal
10.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    3 months ago

Oooops, I saw a headline that said Southern California students and I made the mistake that it meant University of Southern California students, it was actually Cajon Valley Union School students, who went to Afghanistan with their parents for a holiday, so I suppose it was their original nation. 

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
10.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1    3 months ago

From what I read, the students and their parents were visiting relatives who live in Afghanistan. Here's the most current article I could find ...

JBB
Professor Principal
11  JBB    3 months ago

So, when fucking ISIS bombs the damned Taliban in fucking Afghanistan and some Americans are killed American rightwinger blame America's President?

Talk about blaming America first! Get Outta Here!

Greg Jones
PhD Expert
11.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @11    3 months ago

No....just blaming Bumbling Biden, not America

dennis smith
Masters Silent
11.1.1  dennis smith  replied to  Greg Jones @11.1    3 months ago

With Bidet, it is nothing more than "Stupid is as Stupid Does".

Those who try to deflect/spin/blame others are in the same category

Ronin2
PhD Quiet
11.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @11    3 months ago
So, when fucking ISIS bombs the damned Taliban in fucking Afghanistan and some Americans are killed

WTF are you talking about? The embassy and US intelligence were screaming there was going to be a terrorist hit at the air port. Not in Kabul; not against Taliban positions; but against the airport where US troops were stationed; and Afghans seeking to flee were. There were far more valuable Taliban targets; with far more Taliban forces staged around them- say the Presidential Palace where the Taliban leaders are. This was terrorist hit against the US! The few Taliban the blast caught were collateral damage. Since they are such enemies, ask yourself how they got past rings of Taliban check points that have done such a great job of shutting down US citizens and Afghans that aided us from getting to the airport? Either the terrorists knew which check points were manned by those sympathetic to them hitting the US; or the Taliban are incompetent on the level of Joe Biden.

American rightwinger blame America's President?

Anyone with a brain is blaming Biden. He has fucked this up from this withdrawal from the start. His arrogance and stupidity made our best case scenario to use Karzai Airport which is not even close to being a secure facility. He made the US Marines and those they were trying to protect an easy target; and ISIS K took advantage of it. 

Talk about blaming America first!

No one is blaming America. We are blaming the weak, incompetent, moronic Joe Biden. He is unfortunately our president; but he is damn well not "America". We are going to have to remind our allies & enemies repeatedly of that in the near future.

Get Outta Here!

The left are the last ones to be telling anyone what to do. Which is it party or country? Are you going to keep a President that has damaged us at every level with every decision in power? Millions of illegal immigrants streaming across our wide open southern border; inflation; upside down unemployment and jobs numbers; higher gas prices; Covid numbers spiking all over the US; China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran pushing outwards and gaining power. The rest of the world knows Joe Biden is unfit to lead; too bad Democrats seem to have decided party will always be far more important than country.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
11.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2    3 months ago
WTF are you talking about? The embassy and US intelligence were screaming there was going to be a terrorist hit at the air port. Not in Kabul; not against Taliban positions; but against the airport where US troops were stationed;

WTF are you talking about ?  Kabul covers about 400 square miles and the airport is 2 miles from downtown and the Presidential Palace.

The ISIS people were trying to get a bomb on a plane.  Back up plan get as close as you can and detonate.

The left are the last ones to be telling anyone what to do. Which is it party or country? Are you going to keep a President that has damaged us at every level with every decision in power? Millions of illegal immigrants streaming across our wide open southern border; inflation; upside down unemployment and jobs numbers; higher gas prices; Covid numbers spiking all over the US; China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran pushing outwards and gaining power. The rest of the world knows Joe Biden is unfit to lead; too bad Democrats seem to have decided party will always be far more important than country.

You need a rest dude.

Ronin2
PhD Quiet
11.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @11.2.1    3 months ago
WTF are you talking about ?  Kabul covers about 400 square miles and the airport is 2 miles from downtown and the Presidential Palace.

So they just go lost, and had bad aim is what you are claiming?

The ISIS people were trying to get a bomb on a plane.  Back up plan get as close as you can and detonate.

Glad you can admit the truth; which is more than JBB is capable of. Seems you didn't comprehend his comment; but you sure as hell voted it up.

You need a rest dude.

I need a rest? The left needs to get a strong dose of reality. Name one thing that I posted that isn't true. But by all means keep defending the imbecile in chief. Party over country.

bugsy
Professor Guide
11.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2.2    3 months ago
Name one thing that I posted that isn't true

Well, here we are 6 hours later and not one leftist on here has been able to rebut anything which you posted.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
11.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @11.2.3    3 months ago

Remember when there was no internet? 

When left and right web sites weren't just parroting their own version of the first thing someone else published?

The original stories blasted here were 3 KIA, then 10, 11, 12,13. All USMC, then a Corpsman, then 1 Army.

I prefer to see it for myself or get it directly from someone I worked with.

Or wait for a consensus that wasn't rushed to the viewers without verification.

If the Taliban were interested in "kill lists" they would not be letting 100,000 plus people leave the country.

They could have shut down the airport a week ago and forced all foreigners to walk to Pakistan.

They didn't.

This is odd.

A calculated risk by a wiser Taliban?

Don't know yet.

Stay tuned.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
11.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2.2    3 months ago
Name one thing that I posted that isn't true.

Isn't true or isn't the vile, hateful BS of a partisan POV?

But by all means keep defending the imbecile in chief.

It's one of the inalienable rights I earned.  You too apparently.

Party over country.

Really, a personal insult?

What a waste of time....

Sean Treacy
Professor Expert
11.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @11    3 months ago
fucking ISIS bombs the damned Taliban

This is what you imagine happened yesterday? 

Thrawn 31
PhD Guide
11.3.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.3    3 months ago

This is what happened. ISIS inAfghanistan bombed everyone, the Taliban included. That is how truly fucked up that “country” os, there aren’t 2 sides, there aren’t 3 sides, there are 50 fucking sides and they all hate each other.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
11.3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.3.1    3 months ago

29 minutes ago "we" used a drone to destroy an ISIS target.

Thrawn 31
PhD Guide
12  Thrawn 31    3 months ago

This was ISIS in Afghanistan, yes apparently there is such a thing and they and the Taliban hate each other. This kinda shit is why we were never going to “succeed”. 
My sympathies to the families of those killed.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
12.1  Split Personality  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12    3 months ago

Amen.

Jasper2529
Masters Participates
13  Jasper2529    3 months ago
"Casualties are unclear at this time," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said.
Here you go, Johnnie boy ... LOOK at their young faces and SAY THEIR NAMES. You, your boss, and other top eunuchs are responsible for their deaths.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
13.1  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @13    3 months ago

How about the 190 Afghani's and 3 UK citizens? 

From all of the outrage about 13 fallen heroes, you would think they were the only lives that mattered

dennis smith
Masters Silent
14  dennis smith    3 months ago

The death of all of them are on Biden's hands as well as those injured in the attack.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
14.1  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @14    3 months ago

Partisan drama.

No one said Trump had the blood of 60 Americans on his hands during his 4 years

No one called for Ford's head when a plane of evacuees from Saigon crashed killing all on board.

He switched to helicopters and cut off the evacuation. It's believed that tens of thousands of boat people perished at sea

trying to escape Vietnam.

Each POTUS bears these things be they military or hurricanes or earthquakes or diseases.

Turn your energy to helping and supporting your country and countrymen.

Country over Party!

dennis smith
Masters Silent
15  dennis smith    3 months ago

Biden's failure is obvious. He abandoned the two runway Bagram air base, (the most secure air base in Afghanistan), left the military equipment there and withdrew troops. Then he sent troops back into a single runway civilian airport and allowed the enemy to control of who was allowed in for evacuation.

Even the main stream media and Dems have called him out for the way he withdrew. 

BTW, your partisanship is on full display by listing only two past presidents by name. You went all the way back to Saigon which was LBJ's fuckup and cost over 55,000 American lives and hundreds of thousands of injured in an attempt to blame a Republican. You mention Trump and 60 KIA. Yet you omit those killed when Obama was POTUS.

Yes your partisanship is showing loud and clear.  

Split Personality
PhD Principal
15.1  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @15    3 months ago

Want to go back to the big one? 

Lincoln and incompetent Union Generals, one after the other oversaw the deaths of 620,000 Union and Confederate troops.

I guess it's immaterial that Lincoln was a Republican and a liberal huh?

One more time, just for the sake of partisanship/

Each POTUS bears these things be they military or hurricanes or earthquakes or diseases.

Split Personality
PhD Principal
15.2  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @15    3 months ago

Let me help you and any  brain dead believer of the theory that we should not have "abandoned Bagram".

In spite of the fact that Bagram was routinely attacked with rockets by ISIS

Americans who have never been to Afghanistan

still naively believe that Biden could have reversed the Trump decision

to gut the base personnel and make the contractors useless by removing most of the aircraft.

In 2015 it required 40,000 people to make Bagram viable.

There was no way on this earth for Biden to insert maybe 18,000 troops and 22,000 contractors to 

evacuate other US citizens and Afghans who would have to cross roughly 30 miles

of open terrain where the Taliban controlled the highways and the ISIS controlled the hills.

and then evacuate the 40,000 safely.

It was a recipe for disaster

The 40,000 People on Bagram Air Base Haven't Actually Seen Afghanistan | WIRED

Old article but highly informative except for the unusual smells of burning garbage, Trash and human feces with jet fuel.

No article can convey that yet.

Country over Party!

dennis smith
Masters Silent
15.2.1  dennis smith  replied to  Split Personality @15.2    3 months ago

You have bought into Bidet lies/explanation, hook, line and sinker and that is party over country.  

Split Personality
PhD Principal
15.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @15.2.1    3 months ago

Well at least this time you had the courtesy to address me directly instead of remarks addressed to no one.

I guess that is some sort of progress for you./s

I have known about the Bagram closure since August of last year when Pompeo started the process.

Eventually someone else will write a book with the timeline and the facts

and you will still have the inalienable right to cling to your partisan opinions

and hurl churlish partisan insults at your imaginary opponents.

America first  and always

dennis smith
Masters Silent
16  dennis smith    3 months ago

Bidet withdrew troops first, giving up Bagram air base and not destroy military equipment then deciding that bringing troops back was necessary for evacuation and relying on those you do not trust to support the withdrawal shows that Biden is in fact less than a mental midget. 

Once you admit that he is incompetent, get back to me. 

Otherwise quit trying to compare the civil war to what has happened in Afghanistan. 

Split Personality
PhD Principal
16.1  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @16    3 months ago

Please be a gentleman and address my comments directly.

Afghan is in the midst of a perpetual civil war.

We have overstayed our "welcome" by at least 10 years and 1800 US Military deaths.

Your boys Trump & Pompeo betrayed the US military and the country of Afghanistan.

Deal with it.

dennis smith
Masters Silent
16.1.1  dennis smith  replied to  Split Personality @16.1    3 months ago

Your loyalty to lying Biden is on full display. He said many times that he would leave no American behind. Today he did just that.

Spin/deflect however you want. Even much of the mainstream media is now calling him out on his lies and under him how America ran away with its tail between its legs. 

He blamed everyone except himself. 

Split Personality
PhD Principal
16.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @16.1.1    3 months ago

America right or wrong.  Isn't that the old adage?

My loyalty is to my country.  Regardless of the POTUS or creeps controlling the Senate and House.

You do realize that every American was warned by the embassy repeatedly since March, right?

That's over 5 months of warnings to leave.

Some of our brothers and sisters married the locals and opted to stay with their families.

That's their right, correct?

The last plane evacuating anyone other than military left with one passenger despite the Taliban 

driving Americans to the airport and carrying their luggage to Abbey Gate.

Taliban cooperation included protecting Americans from possible terrorist attack at airport (nbcnews.com)

TYFYS

That service guarantees peaceful dissention and a peaceful transfer of power.

It's a shame we have lost the art of adult discussion without the churlish condescending BS

of the self proclaimed patriots.