╌>

Joint Chiefs spokesman defends Milley

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  42 comments

Joint Chiefs spokesman defends Milley
In a statement, spokesman Col. Dave Butler said Milley “continues to act and advise within his authority in the lawful tradition of civilian control of the military and his oath to the Constitution.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was acting constitutionally and within his established responsibilities when he privately conferred with his Chinese military counterpart to avert armed conflict with the United States late in the Trump administration, a spokesman for the Joint Chiefs said Wednesday.

In a statement, spokesman Col. Dave Butler said Milley “continues to act and advise within his authority in the lawful tradition of civilian control of the military and his oath to the Constitution.”

Secret calls from Milley, the country’s top military officer, to Gen. Li Zuocheng of the People’s Liberation Army in October and January are detailed a book by Washington Post associate editor Bob Woodward and national political reporter Robert Costa.

Butler’s statement largely confirmed the reporting in the book.

The defense of Milley’s conduct came a day after former president Donald Trump, speaking on the conservative television network Newsmax, labeled the chairman’s reported actions “treason” and said, “I did not ever think of attacking China.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Within the hour the Joint Chiefs, the president of the United States, and Milley's office itself have stated emphatically that Milley did nothing wrong. 

This brouha is going nowhere. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    3 years ago

Great, then he has nothing to hide and should have no problem taking a polygraph and/or testifying under oath on the topic..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Why would he take a polygraph, he admits to the facts of the story. 

He says he did nothing wrong. The Joint Chiefs of Staff say he did nothing wrong, and the President says he did nothing wrong. 

If the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest military body in the nation,  say he did nothing wrong , how is he going to be formally accused of treason?  

He's not. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

If Milley had had secret phone calls to China about averting a Biden action you know these guys would be hoo raying and shit and say not one word about treason

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

As I read the Joint Chiefs of Staff statement, they seem to be acknowledging that Trump was a danger to our nation. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 years ago

I was never in the same room as him, but his tweets and public comments concerned me

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.1.3  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 years ago
they seem to be acknowledging that Trump was a danger to our nation.

Then they will have no problem defending their actions and showing proof the Trump was a danger. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago
Why would he take a polygraph, he admits to the facts of the story. 

Once again, why not?    If he has nothing to hide, he has no problem ..... one wonders why some think him taking one is problem.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
he privately conferred with his Chinese military counterpart to avert armed conflict with the United States late in the Trump administration

What we have here is the Joint Chiefs of Staff stating that Trump was a threat to the safety of the nation. 

Think about that. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 years ago

Schlesinger did the same think when Nixon kept getting drunk and suggesting deflections to get the press worried about something other than his impending impeachment.

The Joint Chiefs were equally complicit to avoid a nuclear "accident" by Nixon.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    3 years ago

The political right shows no concern at all over Trumps unhinged behavior for two months up to and including Jan 6,  but they have all the concern in the world that Milley "betrayed" Trump. This is our current political environment in a nutshell. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    3 years ago

So the Joint Chiefs of Staff that are appointed by Biden; and are headed by Milley who also was appointed by Biden, decided that Milley did everything by the book? Talk about a circle jerk of BS! 

The Joint Chiefs of Staff is a group of senior military leaders in the US Department of Defense which provides military advice to the US President, the Defense Secretary, the Homeland Security Council and the National Security Council. The group is lead by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who is legally the highest ranking military officer in the US Armed Forces. The other positions  of the group are:
  • Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
  • Chief of Staff of the Army
  • Commandant of the Marine Corps
  • Chief of Naval Operations
  • Chief of Staff of the Air Force
  • Chief of the National Guard Bureau
These individual positions are appointed by the US President and confirmed by the Senate . The Joint Chiefs of Staff do not, however, have operational command authority.

Leave it to the left not to see the absolute stupidity of allowing those appointed by Biden and headed by Milley to have any damn say in what Milley did.

Mid terms can't come quick enough. The Republicans have to rip this administration apart from the top down.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.2    3 years ago
So the Joint Chiefs of Staff that are appointed by Biden

Biden changed the existing Joint Chiefs of Staff after he took office? I dont remember hearing that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.2    3 years ago

According to this, all of the current Joint Chiefs of Staff were appointed by Trump

Joint Chiefs of Staff - Wikipedia

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.2    3 years ago
Leave it to the left not to see the absolute stupidity of allowing those appointed by Biden and headed by Milley to have any damn say in what Milley did.

The problem with that typical angry partisan  Ronin nonsense is that each and every one o the Chiefs were appointed by Trump for 4 year terms, not Biden.

Sorry.

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

goose is back
Junior Guide
4.1.6  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    3 years ago
concern in the world that Milley "betrayed" Trump.

Milley betrayed the chain of command and the Constitution! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Here's a fact you may have missed amid all of the coverage of the allegations and revelations in the new book by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa: The top general in the country believed that President Donald Trump was in significant enough mental decline that he took countermeasures to ensure Trump didn't start a war with China on his way out the door. Donald Trump's mental health becomes an issue again (msn.com)

This whole thing is going to blow up in the face of Trump and the Republicans who defend him. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago
"Woodward and Costa write that [Joint Chief Chairman Mark] Milley, deeply shaken by the assault, 'was certain that Trump had gone into a serious mental decline in the aftermath of the election, with Trump now all but manic, screaming at officials and constructing his own alternate reality about endless election conspiracies.'

"Milley worried that Trump could 'go rogue,' the authors write.

"'You never know what a president's trigger point is,' Milley told his senior staff," according to the book.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

yet again, if Milley had doubts about Trump, there are protocols and ways to remove him.

No need to turn traitor to remove Trump or usurp his authority.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2    3 years ago

No you see, when i was worried about my CO's competency, it was completely normal to call my enemy to warn them about it.

Happened every day in the suck ...... /S

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

Lol .... Trumps mental health is an issue but Bidens is not.

Hilarious!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.3    3 years ago

What is hilarious is the way "conservatives" are reacting to all this. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.1    3 years ago

Nah but the way some liberals are trying to spin it is.

I know you can't see it for what it is John.   I don't expect you to.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.3.2    3 years ago

I am tired of this topic already . Lets have Milley go before Congress so he can tell everyone how nuts Trump was. It should be quite entertaining. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.3    3 years ago

Sure, I would love to see him confess to his treasonous acts.

I would consider it sad rather than entertaining, though.

goose is back
Junior Guide
5.4  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago
The top general in the country believed that President Donald Trump was in significant enough mental decline

How in the fuck would he know if Trump is in "Mental Decline" he's not a Doctor. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  goose is back @5.4    3 years ago

He probably thinks that seeing the president scream at everyone is a likely sign. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Milley's spokesman say Milley did nothing wrong....

Well, that settles it 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

Lol ..... bazinga!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

If the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs committed treason is it your opinion that the rest of the Joint Chiefs would support him in it?  That sounds ludicrous on the face of it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2    3 years ago

A spokesman for the Joint Chiefs John, a spokesman not the Joint Chiefs.   Regardless, you still haven't answered my question.  

If everything he did was so righteous, why the resistance to testifying under oath or taking a polygraph?

Resistance to the same simple makes him look guilty

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.1    3 years ago

Polygraph? LMAO

Where has he refused to testify?

The last I saw he is scheduled to testify before Congress on 28 Sep 21.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.1    3 years ago
A spokesman for the Joint Chiefs John, a spokesman not the Joint Chiefs.   Regardless, you still haven't answered my question.  

Do you seriously believe that a spokesman for the Joint Chiefs is not relaying the opinion of the Joint Chiefs? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @7.2.2    3 years ago

Some folks just make up this shit as they go along . . . 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2.3    3 years ago

Why would i answer any more of your questions when you continue to evade mine?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
8  MonsterMash    3 years ago

Lt.Col. Alexander Vindman said "GEN Milley must resign. He usurped civilian authority, broke Chain of Command, and violated the sacrosanct principle of civilian control over the military. It’s an extremely dangerous precedent. You can’t simply walk away from that."

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1  Sparty On  replied to  MonsterMash @8    3 years ago

Yeah well, i have my doubts about Vidman's veracity.

This is really simple, take the polygraph and/or testify under oath and it's done.

Easy peasy, rubber squeegee .....

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
9  MonsterMash    3 years ago

“General Li, you and I have known each other for now five years. If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise,” Milley said to Li in one of the conversation,

A General in the United States Army tells the Chinese I'll let you known ahead of time if we're going to attack you. How is this not treason?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @9    3 years ago

It simply is.

One might be considered an idiot by denying it.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.2  Split Personality  replied to  MonsterMash @9    3 years ago
One of Milley's calls took place on Oct. 30, 2020, and the other on Jan. 8, 2021, two days after the deadly Capitol riot perpetrated by Trump supporters in a quest to overturn the outcome of the election, the book reportedly reveals.

The first call was prompted by Milley's review of intelligence suggesting the Chinese believed the United States was preparing to attack. The authors of the book said the belief was based on tensions over military exercises in the South China Sea, and deepened by Trump's belligerent rhetoric toward China .

"General Li, I want to assure you that the American government is stable and everything is going to be okay," Milley said, according to the newspaper. "We are not going to attack or conduct any kinetic operations against you."

He also went so far as to pledge he would alert his counterpart in the event of a U.S. attack, stressing the rapport they had established through a backchannel, it said.

In the second call, placed to address Chinese fears about the events of Jan. 6, Milley said, "We are 100 percent steady. Everything's fine. But democracy can be sloppy sometimes."

The book also claims Milley thought that Trump had declined mentally after the election.

Concerned that China could go on the offensive if it felt at risk from an unpredictable and vengeful U.S. president, Milley called the admiral overseeing the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, the military unit responsible for Asia and the Pacific region, and recommended postponing the South China Sea military exercises, The Washington Post said, adding that the admiral complied.

Milley also summoned senior officers to review procedures for launching nuclear weapons, saying the president alone could give the order, but, crucially, that the top military officer also had to be involved, the newspaper said.

Remember Tienanmen Square and how the Chinese dealt with that? 

They were appalled that we let our own Capital building be run over, they simply would not have allowed it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @9.2    3 years ago
He also went so far as to pledge he would alert his counterpart in the event of a U.S. attack, stressing the rapport they had established through a backchannel, it said.

I would bet more than one nuclear exchange was averted thru back channels

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    3 years ago

Five years down the road and TDS is still the real clear and present danger to this country.

Sad!