╌>

These are the most "offensive" halloween costumes according to parents

Category:  Other

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  6 comments

These are the most "offensive" halloween costumes according to parents

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

These are the most "offensive" halloween costumes according to parents - OnePoll Research

3-4 minutes   10/11/2021

BB19iBkG.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Cultural appropriation

When asked to define cultural appropriation in their words, one parent said it means “when you take somebody else’s culture and make it your own in a disrespectful manner.” Another respondent interpreted it as “the adoption and showcasing of another people’s culture in a fun or mocking way.”

Although the parents surveyed believe cultural appropriation is a topic worth discussing with their children, not all were clear about how to define it.

One parent claimed that cultural appropriation is “to be proud of your culture.” Others expressed they don’t know what the term means. 

Sixty-three percent of parents said they’ve already had conversations with their children about cultural appropriation  because of the issues Americans are facing in today’s society.

And 58% said they’ve stressed to their kids that engaging in cultural appropriation or any type of appropriation can be “very hurtful” to others. 

Choosing “safe” halloween costumes

Nearly  half of parents  (45%) even admitted they  regret wearing certain Halloween costumes in the past  that are now considered inappropriate or offensive,  compared to 37% who don’t feel sorry  about sporting those costumes. 

Since then, nearly two-thirds of respondents (63%) have been more careful with their families’ costume choices because they don’t want to offend anyone.

Of the 42% of parents who plan to dress up this Halloween, some are reportedly going as Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Superman, Lady Gaga, and Gomez and Morticia Addams.

Three-quarters of adults (75%) said their kids also plan on dressing up, citing costumes like Baby Shark, robots, vampires, and Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

As many parents see those costumes as “safe” options, most agree that the offensive costumes should be left in the past.

Dressing up in school

Wearing offensive costumes has not only been an issue during Halloween but in the classroom as well. 

In 2019, a Tennessee elementary school  came  under fire after a student was assigned to dress up as Adolf Hitler  and gave the Nazi salute to his classmates as part of a WWII history lesson.  

And in 2017, a Black mother in Georgia   spoke out against her child’s school for promoting “Civil War Day,”  where a white student dressed as a plantation owner and told her son, “You are my slave.”

Surprisingly, half of parents (50%) said they’d let their child wear a costume some people consider inappropriate or offensive to school for educational purposes.

By comparison, only a quarter (25%) said they’re against that type of roleplaying. 

MOST “OFFENSIVE” HALLOWEEN COSTUMES, ACCORDING TO PARENTS

1. Holocaust-related costumes
    (i.e. dressing up as Anne Frank) (
    45%)
  2. Anything blackface (43%)
  3. Anything with the Confederate flag (38%)
  4. Transphobic costumes (37%) 
  5. Pandemic related costumes (i.e. wearing a hazmat suit) (32%)
  6. Portrayals of cultural stereotypes (29%)
  7. Costumes depicting controversial figures (i.e. Adolf Hitler, Donald Trump) (26%)
  8. Overtly sexual costumes (i.e. sexy nurse, sexy cop) (24%) 
  9. Homeless person costume (23%) 
  10. Religious costumes (18%) 

TOP “SAFE” HALLOWEEN COSTUMES FOR KIDS 

1. Movie/TV/book/video game characters
    (i.e. Disney, Sesame Street, Super Mario Bros.) (64%)
  2. Superheroes (64%)
  3. Dressing up as food (58%)
  4. Dressing up as animals (58%)
  5. Crayons (56%)
  6. A ghost (51%)
  7. A vampire (49%) 
  8. A witch (47%) 
  9. A pirate (46%)
  10. A scarecrow (46%) 

This online study was conducted by   OnePoll   from September 28th to October 4th 2021 with a sample of 2,000 American parents of children ages 0-10 years.

Additional source links:
Washington Post
Huffington Post
Washington Post
Slate
AP News
Huffington Post ​​

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Now you know. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Nothing about adult costumes. I guess anything goes. 

81BtvVMfzRL._AC_UY445_.jpg Cruella DeVille

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

Well wouldn't putting a sheet on, supposedly like a ghost, be seen as a KKK person...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

A giant MAGA hat would be first on my list as offensive.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Discouraged costumes...

"Homeless person costume (23%)" 

So a Charlie Chaplin "tramp" costume is a toss-up,  It's either not good to look like a homeless person, but okay to look like a movie character.  And Gandalf would be okay but Calvera would not?  Is Darth Vader okay or not?

"Religious costumes (18%)"

You mean my darling little granddaughter can't dress up with wings and a halo to be the little angel she is?

Okay costumes..

"Dressing up as food (58%)"

Phew.  Thankfully Scout was okay in To Kill a Mockingbird.