╌>

Virus fears lead to post-Thanksgiving blues for stocks, oil

Category:  World News

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  40 comments

By:   Carolyn Cohn - Reuters

Virus fears lead to post-Thanksgiving blues for stocks, oil

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures pointed to a slide at the post-Thanksgiving Wall Street open and oil hit two-month lows as fears of a possibly vaccine-resistant coronavirus variant sent investors scurrying to safe-haven assets.

Scientists say the variant, detected in South Africa, Botswana, Israel and Hong Kong, has an unusual combination of mutations, may be able to evade immune responses and could be more transmissible.

Britain said it was the most significant variant to date and was one of several countries to impose travel restrictions on southern Africa.

The European Commission also said it wanted to consider suspending travel from countries where the new variant has been identified, though the World Health Organization (WHO) cautioned against hastily imposing such restrictions.

"This could be the moment that people look back on as derailing the economic recovery and rate rises but what we have is a big insertion of uncertainty rather than something material," said Peter Rutter, head of equities at Royal London Asset Management.

"The very fact we don't know is what's concerning the market."

The WHO is convening an experts' meeting on Friday to evaluate whether the new variant is a "variant of concern".

It will take a few weeks to understand the impact of the variant, a spokesperson said.

U.S. crude   futures plunged 6.7% to $73.17 a barrel and   Brent crude   was down 5.86% to $77.43 on the possible hit to travel and demand for fuel. [O/R]

S&P 500 futures   fell 1.8% and   Dow futures   slid 2.2%.

U.S. equity markets were shut on Thursday for Thanksgiving and close early on Friday.

Global shares fell 0.7% and were on course for their worst week since early October.

European stocks were 2.6% lower, on track for their worst day since September 2020. ( EU )

The pandemic playbooks were back out. Tourism-sensitive stocks such as plane engine maker Rolls Royce (LON: RR ), easyJet (LON: EZJ ) and International Consolidated Airlines (OTC: ICAGY ) all saw double digit losses in Europe.

Malaysian rubber glove maker Supermax, which soared 1500% during the first wave of the pandemic, leapt 15%.

Germany's DAX   lost 2.8% and   Britain's FTSE   100 also fell 2.8%, to its lowest in more than a month.

MSCI's index of Asian shares outside Japan dropped 2.2%, its sharpest fall since August.   Japan's Nikkei   skidded 2.5%.

Giles Coghlan, chief currency analyst at brokerage HYCM, said the closure of the U.S. market for Thanksgiving had exacerbated moves.

"We need to see how transmissible this variant is, is it able to evade the vaccines - this is crucial," Coghlan said.

"I expect this story to drag on for a few days until scientists have a better understanding of it."

As investors dashed for safe-haven assets, the yen jumped more than 1% to 113.9 per dollar, having languished earlier this week at five-year lows.

The dollar fell 0.5% against an index of currencies and the euro rose 0.64% to $1.1278.

The single currency, however, fell to near 6-1/2 year lows against the Swiss franc at 1.044 francs per euro.

South Africa's rand   fell more than 1% to a one-year low and its 2030 bond yield soared 19 basis points (bps). Bond yields move inversely to price.

Other bond markets strengthened, benefiting from their safe haven status. Ten-year Treasury yields fell 12 bps to 1.5226% and 30-year yields were down 9 bps to 1.8818%. [US/]

Germany's 10-year bond yield was down 7.5 bps at -0.32%, set for its biggest daily fall since March. [GVD/EUR]

Gold rose 1.3% to $1,810 an ounce.

The market swings come against a backdrop of already growing concern about COVID-19 outbreaks driving restrictions on movement and activity in Europe and beyond.

Markets had previously been upbeat about the strength of economic recovery, despite growing inflation fears.

"Going into year-end, investors may prefer to keep a bit more in safe havens and we also have to assess how it feeds into central bank risk assessments, even if this variant turns out not to be of huge concern," said Commerzbank (DE: CBKG ) rates strategist Rainer Guntermann.

"It's a reminder that the pandemic could pop up again at virtually any time."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

I abhor making predictions but if this pans out in a negative way, rest assured that Biden will be blamed and not the least for not having the gumption to mandate vaccinations across the board.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

If it's vaccine resistant, then what's the point of taking the shots. Mandates simply won't work, and can't be enforced. Of course Biden will unjustly be blamed, just like Trump was. The American populace doesn't respond well to fear mongering.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

The American populace responds fantastically to fear mongering, as long as it is the right kind of fear. Unfortunately because the current pandemic virus doesn’t yet have a fatality rate of 20+ % Americans aren’t going to personally worry about it too much. But hell, if we keep letting it hang around and do that whole “evolution” thing every few months, maybe we will get there. And that will be entirely because of anti-vaxxers, fuck them they are the most selfish pieces of shit on planet earth.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago
If it's vaccine resistant, then what's the point of taking the shots.

To protect one against the variants it is successful with while the boyz 'n galz figure out the latest version. Your attitude is defeatist.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hallux @1.1.2    3 years ago

The Merck and Pfizer therapeutic pill seems to be effective against it as does monoclonal antibodies.  That this disease may be merging with AIDS is not good. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Some good news with a lot of bad news. Oil cost per barrel dropped so it will be interesting to see what OPEC does in its December meeting. Will they increase production as they have been doing (very slowly) or stop it with the dark clouds on the horizon?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

Biden is releasing a portion of our oil reserve to help.  He has also launched an investigation as to why prices are so high in some states.  Here in CA, our prices are the highest in the nation.   In some areas, it is over $6.00/gal.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    3 years ago

Greed IMO. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    3 years ago
Biden is releasing a portion of our oil reserve to help.

And of what specific help will that be?

Here in CA, our prices are the highest in the nation.   In some areas, it is over $6.00/gal.

California has long had some of the highest prices in the country. It also has the highest state taxes on gas. You are just paying for what you all wanted--high taxes! 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    3 years ago

Here it is about 3.09.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    3 years ago

Biden is responsible for much the higher prices.

mrz112621dAPR20211125014504.jpg

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.4    3 years ago

How? Specifically how, I want a detailed breakdown as to exactly how Biden is responsible for higher gas prices.

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.4    3 years ago

Please do not post inane cartoons in my seeds ... thanx

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1.6    3 years ago

It's called free speech

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1.8  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.7    3 years ago

Ah yes, the infamous free speech squirrel ... that's why you delete so many comments from your seeds.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1.8    3 years ago

You were complaining about cartoons. That's the official response.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    3 years ago

That and strict regulations.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @2.1.3    3 years ago

In some states it is less than $3.00.  As I now use a scooter, I spend about $20/mo.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.5    3 years ago

Biden isn't.  In fact, he has just taken two steps in regards to the problem.  He is releasing some of our reserve.  He is also having oil companies investigated for possible price gouging.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    3 years ago

I went into the market during  the last 5 minutes the market was open and bought up natural gas and oil futures and oil and coal companies at market bottoms yesterday along with an agricultural commodities index.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.14  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

We have three stations in Redding Ca that charge $4.15 to $4.45 for regular unleaded to premium.  The rest start at $4.45 and up for regular and Redding is one of the cheaper places in this state.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.15  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.5    3 years ago

The caption in the cartoon is your answer 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.16  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hallux @2.1.8    3 years ago

He doesn’t delete one tenth as many posts as TG      and Devangelical delete in the progressive echo chambers where it’s who you are that gets deleted rather than inappropriate content

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

Meanwhile, stores here are still full and people are spending.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago

Is the term "Black Friday" racist?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    3 years ago

how much time did it take you to think that one up? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    3 years ago

No? Unless you are aware of some overtly racist history behind it…

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    3 years ago

Give it a year or two.   Master bedroom is higher up the list.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.3    3 years ago

Trying to make it so eh?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.2    3 years ago

There is none.  It is called black Friday because the increased sales put many stores back in the black.  It has a financial history not a racist one.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.3    3 years ago

And ridiculously so is the Florida Seminoles and Atlanta Braves fans celebrations…

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.5    3 years ago

Come on!  Can’t let the truth get in the way of some Progressives race hustling, al Sharpton style…

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

I am waiting to hear if there is a new rise in CV cases from the Macy's parade.  My local news reported that NY did not require precautions for the crowd or participants.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago

I am surprised we don't have more cases here. Everyone is acting like it never happened.

Now when I have to go into some place I usually only see like three or four people wearing a mask, myself included.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @4.1    3 years ago

You're fully vaxxed and still wear a mask?  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.1    3 years ago

I still try to social distance and stand back from people too.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @4.1    3 years ago

We had really bad winds here which has totally screwed up my sinuses.  I had to go to the store for a neighbor and I could barely breath with my mask on and was in distress.  The other shoppers in my check out line saw I was in trouble and they very kindly let me go first as I only had one item.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.1    3 years ago

I am vaxed and boostered but still wear a mask due to underlying health concerns.  Also, strangers around me don't know that I am vaxed or not.  So part of why I do it is to put strangers more at ease.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.1    3 years ago

Around here almost no one wears masks except in medical facilities and some places for show and then removed quickly.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

South African doctor says omicron variant symptoms ‘unusual but mild’

"So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough."

Peter Aitken3 hours ago

The South African doctor who first alerted authorities to the presence of the COVID-19 omicron variant reported that it presents "unusual but mild" symptoms. 

Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a board member of the South African Medical Association, first noticed otherwise healthy patients demonstrating unusual symptoms on Nov. 18. 

"Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph

Kid-COVID-Shot.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

FILE PHOTO: A child reacts while receiving a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine at Smoketown Family Wellness Center in Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., November 8, 2021. REUTERS/Jon Cherry/File Photo 

"It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home."

BIDEN PROMISED TO ‘SHUT DOWN’ COVID, BUT OMICRON VARIANT POSES NEW CHALLENGE FOR ADMIN

Coetzee reported around two dozen of her patients that tested positive for the coronavirus and displayed these new symptoms. She alerted officials to the possibility of a new variant, which the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday designated the omicron variant….

read more: https://www.foxnews.com/health/south-african-doctor-omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-mild