╌>

Denise Sumpter's daughter Belle is the oldest child in the UK known to be taking her mother’s milk

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  7 comments

Denise Sumpter's daughter Belle is the oldest child in the UK known to be taking her mother’s milk

Mum still breastfeeds daughter aged SIX and won't stop until she asks

Denise Sumpter's daughter Belle is the oldest child in the UK known to be taking her mothers milk

As proud mum Denise Sumpter cuddles her bright, talented and confident daughter it is clear they have a special bond.

At six-and-a-half years old, Belle is still breastfeeding the oldest child in the UK known to be taking her mothers milk.

The Year Two pupil will ask for a feed if she is tired, ill or simply wants some bonding time with her mum.

She might ask a couple of times a day, or maybe just once or twice a week.

Sometimes she feeds on her own, and other times she latches on alongside 18-month-old brother Beau.

And Denise, 44, insists she will continue until Belle decides it is time to stop.

Ill feed Belle as long as she asks, she says. I dont know how long that will be. It will be the same with Beau. I dont think theres anything weird about it.

I feed both children on demand whenever they want it.

Belle is a head taller than most of her classmates and has rarely been ill.

Her mother puts this down to her mamas milk, and for the confidence of her clever daughter a talented violinist, singer and dancer who is top of the class in most subjects.

Denise, a PhD student of ancient science, says: I have two healthy, bright, confident children who I truly believe have benefitted from breast milk, and continue to do so.

Denise has the backing of partner Jules Deering, 47, a technical director at a university drama department.

Breastfeeding hasnt impacted my sex life in any way, she says. It hasnt ruined my breasts.

In fact she credits it with helping her keep her figure and her health, saying: Im protected from various cancers and can eat what I want without gaining weight.

Calming influence: Denise says breastfeeding makes her children less hyper active

But she insists that the benefits it gives to her children are her driving force. Mums who feed for longer are often accused of being selfish, she says.

There are things I get out of it like calm, happy children. But I can say with certainty Ive done this entirely for the benefit of my kids.

When Belle finishes Ill be sad but its a natural progression. Her milk teeth are going and I get the impression she wont be feeding for much longer. But she can take her time.

Denise admits her choice has raised eyebrows, saying: I used to get the odd comment from relatives whod say here we go with the milk thing again. But I think because people know Im confident in my decision they let me get on with it.

However, Belle no longer feeds from her mother in public. I will sometimes tell Belle no. She hasnt asked to be fed publicly since she was about four or five. Luckily, I havent had many negative responses.

The mum of two had never planned to continue breastfeeding for so long.

When Belle was a newborn Denise expected to feed her for six months to a year at the most but when the time came she began to change her mind.

I heard women talking about tricking their babies to stop breastfeeding, or simply taking it away, she says. Belle seemed so tiny and she really needed her milk.

Once she started to look into the subject she discovered baby-led weaning. It became clear that the norms in this country arent necessarily correct or what is best for children, she says.

The World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding up to two years and beyond. I decided to let nature play its course.

Denise, from Islington. North London, found help and advice through groups such as breastfeeding support organisation La Leche League. Having a strong support network is really important, she says.

I try to help parents with the information I have as it saves lives, empowers women and makes children happy.

When mums are told to cover up while breastfeeding in Claridges or ignorant politicians like UKIP leader Nigel Farage tell nursing mums to sit in the corner, it only does harm. What we need is more openness and more truth so mums can make informed decisions.

She adds: There are so many myths about breastfeeding its unreal.

People argue that after a certain age breast milk has no nutritional benefits but thats nonsense there is not a single food source that suddenly stops being nutritious.

"My children have hardly been ill. Beau came down with something the other day and because I nursed him through it he was better in 24 hours. Ive had similar with Belle. If theyre upset it calms them. It helps them sleep.

Denise denies her children are overly dependent on her.

People think by feeding Belle this long I will stunt her confidence. But she is extremely independent if anything, she can be too bolshie sometimes, she says.

Her teachers say she is mature for her age. Shes been away from me at her nans for a week and was fine.

She admits: If youd asked me five years ago I never would have thought Id still be breastfeeding Belle. However, it turned out to be one of the best things I could have done for my family.

And for little Belle and Beau, nothing could seem more natural.

Denise says: Belle understands not everyone breastfeeds as long as her, but shes proud of it. Shell pretend to breastfeed her dolls. The other day at playgroup Beau picked up a toy bottle and didnt have a clue what it was. I was proud of that.

The arguments for and against

She's right - Lactation consultant Luci Lishman, who is also registered nurse and midwife

Denise is an inspiration. Breastfeeding has obviously been helpful for her and her children who are benefiting emotionally and physically.

Its a personal choice that isnt for everybody. Some people only want to feed for three months, others for two years.

The important thing is we support mothers to do what is best for them and their child.

The World Health Organisation recommends babies exclusively breastfeed for six months and then continue into the second year and beyond along with solid foods.

For some women that isnt possible, but its an ideal.

Every year a mother breastfeeds she decreases her risk of breast cancer by 4.3 per cent. It also cuts the risk of other cancers and illnesses.

For children breastfeeding provides increased immunity indefinitely.

It is thought that a childs immune system probably isnt fully developed until the age of 10 or 12.

Globally, the average age children stop breastfeeding is four and a half.

Longer-term breastfeeding is perfectly natural, its just not always seen as socially acceptable.

Its brave of Denise to share her story Im sure it will encourage other mums and trigger conversation.

She's wrong - Retired midwife & breastfeeding counsellor Clare Byam-Cook

I applaud Denise for breastfeeding and managing to do it beyond six months. Shes right the more mothers do it, the more breastfeeding will become the norm and thats great.

However, shes wrong to think mothers in this country should still be breastfeeding a six year old. In England, it isnt necessary or normal.

There are things babies should progress from wearing nappies, using dummies, sitting at a high chair. Its the same with breastfeeding.

She could be making her daughter the object of ridicule.

I dont think food including breast milk should be treated as a source of comfort in a country where we have an obesity epidemic.

Its true that breast milk protects children from illnesses, but by the time they are six they have their own immunity.

There are things parents have to say no to, and this is one of them. Just because a child wants something doesnt mean they always get it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I dont think food including breast milk should be treated as a source of comfort in a country where we have an obesity epidemic.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    10 years ago

2733_discussions.jpg I'm still amused and somewhat befuddled by this Time cover from May 2012. The kid standing on the stoolwas 3.

The upside is that6 1/2-year-old Belle no longer wants to breastfeed in public. On behalf of restaurant patrons, airline passengers, and Walmart shoppers everywhere, I say,"Thanks, Belle."

Oh, and someone should tell Ms.Sumpter that when Belle latches ontoone nipple while her brother isbreastfeeding on the other, it's because she is jealous, not 'confident and independent'.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I will never understand this...6 1/2 years old and still nursing...

Nona62
Professor Silent

To me, this is creepy.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Wonder what her husband thinks? Good question.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Thanks RW!!