╌>

Majority of Americans want Biden to consider 'all possible nominees' for Supreme Court vacancy: POLL - ABC News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  99 comments

By:   ABC News

Majority of Americans want Biden to consider 'all possible nominees' for Supreme Court vacancy: POLL - ABC News
A new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds that a plurality of Americans view the Supreme Court as a body motivated by partisanship.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds that a plurality of Americans view the Supreme Court as motivated by partisanship, while President Joe Biden's campaign trail vow to select a Black woman to fill a high-court vacancy without reviewing all potential candidates evokes a sharply negative reaction from voters.

The ABC News/Ipsos poll, which was conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel, comes days after the most senior member of the Supreme Court, Justice Stephen G. Breyer, announced his retirement at the end of the current term. Breyer's announcement provides Biden the opportunity to change the demographic makeup of the conservative-leaning bench.

During the spring 2020 presidential primaries, days before his set of big wins on Super Tuesday, Biden pledged to nominate the first Black woman to the Supreme Court, if elected. Now, with the chance to do so, just over three-quarters of Americans (76%) want Biden to consider "all possible nominees." Just 23% want him to automatically follow through on his history-making commitment that the White House seems keen on seeing through. At a ceremony honoring the retiring justice, Biden told reporters he is able to honor his promise without compromising on quality.

"The person I will nominate will be someone with extraordinary qualifications, character, experience and integrity. And that person will be the first Black woman ever nominated to the United States Supreme Court," Biden said. "It's long overdue in my view. I made that commitment during the campaign for president, and I will keep that commitment."

Although the poll's sample size was not large enough to break out results for Black people, only a little more than 1 in 4 nonwhite Americans (28%) wish for Biden to consider only Black women for the vacancy. Democrats are more supportive of Biden's vow (46%) than Americans as a whole, but still a majority of Democrats (54%) also prefer that Biden consider all possible nominees.

Democrats hope that the nomination will re-engage Democrats, who are sorely in need of a boost in the run-up to what is shaping up to be a very challenging midterm election for the party.

Also, when it comes to assessments of the Supreme Court, 43% of voters believe justices rule "on the basis of their partisan political views" rather than "on the basis of the law," a position held by only 38% of respondents. Eighteen percent did not know enough to express a view one way or the other.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

This "controversy" is so dumb. 

Did Trump consider  "all possible nominees."  before he nominated Gorsuch, Kavanaugh or Barrett ?   Of course not. He was handed a list of right wing judges that was hand picked by a group of right wing judicial activists who want to stack the court with arch conservatives.  There was no range of possibilities across ideologies, it was cut and dried that these nominees were going to be extremely conservative and almost surely white. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Did those making the list give a shit about race, sex, or religion- or was their only criteria a strict conservative Constitutionist, with anti abortion leanings? 

Biden opened his stupid pie hole, which has become redundant for him, and put criteria in place base on race and sex. Now the only question left is how much of a liberal anti-Constitutional POS Biden thinks he can push through the Senate. 

Republicans should treat any Biden nominee the exact same way as Democrats have treated the past several conservative nominees. Their entire life, religion, as well as court records should be open for public display; and any partisans that come out with accusations they can't prove must be given full credence. This should be a full blown trial; with the nominee already found guilty. Maybe if Republicans beat the shit of the nominee during the nomination process it will cower the future Justice into making more moderate decisions. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago

Thanks for the nonsense. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago
Did those making the list give a shit about race, sex, or religion

You know they did.  They would never have considered a black or brown, female, gay or trans, atheist or Muslim.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

If you can’t tell the difference between “I’ll nominate the best qualified  liberal And I’ll nominate the best qualified black female liberal,” I don’t know what to tell you.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    2 years ago

Trump put 3 people on the court and didnt consider a wide range of prospects in any of the three cases. 

This "controversy" about a black woman nominee is absurd. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    2 years ago

If you think it is different with Reagan saying he would only nominate the most qualified woman...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    2 years ago

Exactly.    Spot on

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.4  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    2 years ago

It certainly is absurd. Presidents by choice nominate whomsoever they will, including up to and touching a politician. Thankfully, she will have skin attached so we don't have to look at internal organs on display.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.5  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

[deleted, meta]

[btw, the seeder determines what the topic is, or can be expanded to, so by definition, he cannot be off topic.]

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.1  CB  replied to  1stwarrior @1.3    2 years ago

You may have heard the one about, "Walking and chewing gum at the same time"?  Yeah, we can do it. Not difficult at all!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
a group of right wing judicial activists who want to stack the court with arch conservatives. 

Not enough eyerolls in the universe for a statement that stupid.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Trump thought his nominations would have his back.  He found out otherwise lately.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    2 years ago

Notice the ones complaining the loudest are the ones that pic noms from the federalist society....

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Rumor has it that Michelle Obama is being considered

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1  Gsquared  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

Only in Reich-wing propaganda.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Gsquared @3.1    2 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

Democrats seemingly want a return of anyone named Obama. 

They trot her name out when talking of Presidential nominees, too.

Pretty damn funny when she has clearly stated she won't run.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

Mark my words, there will be worse nominees proposed.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    2 years ago

Given the fact that the PotUS nominates and the Senate confirms, SCotUS justices are seated as a result of partisan forces.   It is inevitable.   So nobody should be surprised that a PotUS' nomination is replete with political factors and that the Senate confirmation is a political negotiation.

That said, it would be nice if these agents could actually seat justices objectively but there simply is no chance that will happen.    Biden made a campaign promise and this is easy for him to fill ... so obviously he is going to do so.  

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.1  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @4    2 years ago

Biden made a campaign promise to make the Supreme Court look more like America by nominating a black woman and he plans on doing just that. I have zero problem with that.

What I find most humorous about this is the subtext underlying the whole process, which says that out of all the qualified individuals, if Biden is going to pick a black woman, she cannot be the most qualified person for the position. This subtext is inherently racist, buit all of the people making this claim are saying that Biden is the racist because he is picking a black woman. This is truly the most baffling of stances.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Thomas @4.1    2 years ago

I think most people fundamentally think it is wrong to narrow the field of candidates upfront.   Diversity on the SCotUS certainly is a legitimate factor but making it the overriding factor and with focus on a particular race and gender is what likely does not sit well.

Same with the V.P. selection.   It was clearly a political decision to narrow the selection set upfront.   If Harris was the best choice (or at least a very good choice) then fine.   But if Harris was the best out of an artificially limited selection set and much better candidates were eliminated by race or gender, then that seems like a flawed selection process.

That is likely the underlying sentiment in the poll IMO.

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.1.2  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    2 years ago
I think most people fundamentally think it is wrong to narrow the field of candidates upfront.   Diversity on the SCotUS certainly is a legitimate factor but making it the overriding factor and with focus on a particular race and gender is what likely does not sit well.

I don't think most people put that much thought into the question and just go with what they think the "correct" answer is. The recent history of US political theatre, I am very sorry to say, leads me to that jaded conclusion. 

But really, there has to be some level of preselection. One would hope that the state of the US judicial system is such that Biden can make a selection from the subset that he set out and have that candidate for the position be qualified and competent.

Would you not?

You said:

But if Harris was the best out of an artificially limited selection set and much better candidates were eliminated by race or gender, then that seems like a flawed selection process.

The same goes for the picking of the VP. What could make you think that much better candidates were eliminated by race or gender ? Or, to put it another way, what makes you think that a qualified black woman would not be able to be found fill the VP position?  I mean, there are a lot of people in this country. Plus, Joe did it...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

This is the state of denial that the United States has come to: To be showered upon by the lies and misdirection of politicians and not be able to discern fact from fiction; To have separate and competing narratives about current events, one provably false, and to have a large portion believe that the false narrative is true.

We are being ripped apart from within by nothing but greed and a lust for power masquerading as people who actually give a shit. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Thomas @4.1.2    2 years ago
What could make you think that much better candidates were eliminated by race or gender ?

If.   I think it is likely that much better candidates were eliminated because the upfront criteria was so limiting.   I do not know, I just think it is likely.

Or, to put it another way, what makes you think that a qualified black woman would not be able to be found fill the VP position? 

Where did I write that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    2 years ago
I think most people fundamentally think it is wrong to narrow the field of candidates upfront.  

This position is a little odd.  A "liberal " president is not going to nominate a conservative judge and vice versa. So the limiting begins right at the start. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.1.5  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.3    2 years ago

You didn't. I paraphrased and used the familiar "you" instead of "one".

Or, to put it another way, what could make one think that a qualified black woman would not be able to be found fill the VP position?

My bad, and my apologies for the sloppy communication.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.4    2 years ago

Yes, I noted upfront that the process is political.   I was obviously referring to limitations beyond the natural political limitations.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    2 years ago
Diversity on the SCotUS certainly is a legitimate factor but making it the overriding factor and with focus on a particular race and gender is what likely does not sit well.

Exactly.

Biden is refusing to consider a Latino for the simple fact that they are Latino.  His supporters will not want it said that way, but that's the fact.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.8  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.7    2 years ago

What the heaven are you suggesting a(nother) Latino for the court for? What part of Presidents get to nominate their choice (best or mid-level) that they want according to the Constitution. You're all constitution 'walking' until the word- "black" comes onto the 'field'? Or is it just something to 'toy' around with 'exhaustively.'

Why not a qualified black woman? And just so you know I am only JUST RECENTLY warming up to the idea of 4 women on the court. That many woman was not 'normative' for me—I am getting with the program and widening my mind. So don't come at me with the usual about bias.

Bottomline: Presidents as a consequence of service get to nominee lifetime officials on the high court. Additionally, they get another perk: To pardon damn near any crime in the country and as many people as they please, even all at once!

So what is all this writhing and wringing of the hands about?

Do not insult intelligent black women; you can't get away with it.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.9  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @4.1.8    2 years ago
What the heaven are you suggesting a(nother) Latino for the court for?

Read it again.  I merely said Biden is discriminating against them.

What part of Presidents get to nominate their choice (best or mid-level) that they want according to the Constitution. You're all constitution 'walking' until the word- "black" comes onto the 'field'? Or is it just something to 'toy' around with 'exhaustively.'

I'm sure you thought that made sense when you typed it.

Why not a qualified black woman?

There is no reason at all why a black woman should not be considered.  

And just so you know I am only JUST RECENTLY warming up to the idea of 4 women on the court. That many woman was not 'normative' for me—I am getting with the program and widening my mind. So don't come at me with the usual about bias.

You're biased as fuck, pal.  Why would it make a difference how many women there are?  

Bottomline: Presidents as a consequence of service get to nominee lifetime officials on the high court. Additionally, they get another perk: To pardon damn near any crime in the country and as many people as they please, even all at once!

Do at least attempt to read people's comments.  I realize completely what the President's job is.  That doesn't mean he isn't doing it in a racist manner.

So what is all this writhing and wringing of the hands about?

I'm not a fan of racism.

Do not insult intelligent black women; you can't get away with it.

Do cite me insulting black women.  Please.  Look very carefully.  You might even have to read my comments.  You clearly haven't done so yet.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.10  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.9    2 years ago

Do try to be coy. See if it works for you any better. That's all I have for that comment.  You can call me racist all you wish; its mere projection and so you know that I am aware - it's the new republican/conservative 'go to' - (look in your daily talking points package its there). Trump calls black professionals racist now too. See? We. See. You. In. All. Your. Displays.

You're CONNECTED to republican talking points 'daily' as (how did you put it?) fuck, pal!

CB
Professor Principal
4.2  CB  replied to  TᵢG @4    2 years ago

Your comment is interesting and brings several thoughts to mind:

1. If our new president could be an Independent critical thinker, when selecting a SCOTUS nominee what priorities would be considered?
  2. Would political affiliations play a remarkable role in this president's selection process?
  3. What type of ideology would this president prefer in a SCOTUS nominee?
  4. Would this president wish for court "potency' over "impotency" (neutrality) from his or her new justice? Lastly,
  5. How would this independent president keep politics out of his or her selection/choice for SCOTUS?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  CB @4.2    2 years ago

What should happen in an ideal world would be making the best decisions for the nation regardless of bias.

We all know that what will happen will be a result of partisan dynamics.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.2  CB  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.1    2 years ago

My guess is that an Independent president would still have certain aspects of his or her reality that is on the job "performative"? Eh?  The pressures of idealism are felt by everybody? An independent president would still have to work around or cooperate with partisans to get his or her nominee(s) selected to the life-time appointment!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  CB @4.2.2    2 years ago

I cannot imagine an independent PotUS.   We will never see such an animal.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.3    2 years ago

That would be a breath of fresh air though.

Whatshouldhappen in an ideal world would be making the best decisions for the nation regardless of bias.

Now that we will never see. Clearly many are only driven by bias and/or partisanship.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
4.2.5  Freewill  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.3    2 years ago

Well certainly not you or I in our lifetimes, but with the hateful division the two parties have managed to muster over the last few decades, and the out of control debt they have both created, there will be a "reset", and it won't be pretty.  Our children and grand-children will likely live to see it, and after much pain and suffering perhaps we will have learned something, and new leaders will emerge free from the shackles of the partisan stranglehold we find ourselves in today.  If ever we've needed to evolve as a species, it is now.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.6  CB  replied to  Freewill @4.2.5    2 years ago

Never say "Never."  Freewill, I know you did not say it! Just adding to the thread at this juncture.

(A mythical Spirit coursing through the air picks up on all the transmissions of "spoken" or even mentally considered, "nevers" and exhausts itself making them come to be.)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  CB @4.2.6    2 years ago

It is not very likely.   I suspect you agree.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.3  1stwarrior  replied to  TᵢG @4    2 years ago

Shouldn't you say "obviously he is going to try to do so"?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  1stwarrior @4.3    2 years ago

I was referring to Biden’s role:  nomination.   Biden promised to nominate;   he did not promise to seat.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5  Gsquared    2 years ago

All of the potential nominees who have been mentioned in the media are FAR MORE QUALIFIED than Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett.  So, what's the problem?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5    2 years ago
All of the potential nominees who have been mentioned in the media are FAR MORE QUALIFIED than Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett. 

Let's see all the proof you have managed to accumulate to support that wild-ass 'theory".

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

Lets see you do something, anything. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    2 years ago
Lets see you do something, anything

be more specific, JR, if you are just going to post random shit to me demanding stuff.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.3    2 years ago

in other words you cant

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    2 years ago

Can't WHAT. JR?

Man, I ASKED you to be more specific, and instead you become even more obtuse?

No thanks!

SMMFH

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5    2 years ago

I suppose making wild-ass statements without a shred of proof is now acceptable to the left.

Should make for far fewer arguments on here regarding unproven claims demanded to be proven, as we no longer have to do that according to you.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gsquared @5    2 years ago
ll of the potential nominees who have been mentioned in the media are FAR MORE QUALIFIED than Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett.  So, what's the problem?

You know people can see this, right? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.3    2 years ago

Just yet more unsubstantiated bullshit.

Another day ending in a "y".

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Gsquared  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.3    2 years ago

You know I'm not the least bit interested in anything you say, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.3    2 years ago

If people could back their claims up, they WOULD.

Simple as that.

When they can't even make an attempt to prove their wild-ass claims, you know they just don't have anything at all.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.3    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.3    2 years ago

There are 20 people here who back up their claims more than you do.  [Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.5    2 years ago
There are 20 people here who back up their claims more than you do.

i can't even IMAGINE the mental gymnastics required to come up with something so damn funny!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.3.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.3    2 years ago
When they can't even make an attempt to prove their wild-ass claims, you know they just don't have anything at all.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

c49144fff30402292c73288947968186.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.7    2 years ago

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.3.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.8    2 years ago

Well, well, well, look who showed up late for the party with nothing to say

Well, hey, you know me.  I LOVE pointing out hypocritical statements.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @5.3.9    2 years ago

Do me a solid and let me know when that momentous occasion will occur. I'll be sure to mark it on my calendar so I don't miss it.

Or you could just follow the conversation to get the gist of it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @5    2 years ago
So, what's the problem?

The problem is not for Republicans. Here is the problem: The failing Bidan again faces a decision. He can pick a qualified liberal in the mold of Justice Breyer or he can bow to his progressive wing and saddle the court with a new radicalism and put forward another version of Justice Sonia Sotomayor, all anger, bluster and fiery opinions. Based on his single year as president, I think we can almost predict what he'll do. If Republicans didn't need more enthusiasm from their base for the midterms, that should be the icing on the cake.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.4.1  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.4    2 years ago

The Republican Party is so extreme that if Biden were to nominate Breyer today, the right-wing propaganda machine would have shit fits, and Cruz, Hawley and the rest of the reactionaries would call him a radical and a communist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5.4.1    2 years ago

If one actually bothers to do a modicum of research, one finds that the Democrats are the ones opposing Republican-nominated SCOTUS members at FAR greater rates than the GOP opposes Democratic-nominated ones.

But please, regale me with some tall tales about Republicans!!!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.4.3  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.2    2 years ago

Trolling comments will not receive any further response.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.4  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5.4.3    2 years ago

I'd be rich if I got paid every time some leftists said that when asked a tough question, or asked to do any research on their own.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.4.5  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.4    2 years ago

Yep, when you don’t have a cogent response, accuse the person you disagree with of trolling.    

SOP for many here.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.4    2 years ago

Says the guy who does no research and barely posts any content. 

Asking questions incessantly is not content. Its a shame what you are allowed to get away with on this forum. The other guy isnt much better. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.4.7  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.6    2 years ago
Says the guy who does no research and barely posts any content. 

Well, opinions do vary on that .....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.8  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.6    2 years ago

another silly response.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.9  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @5.4.7    2 years ago

Its hard to take anyone fixated on Trump seriously, some insane conspiracy theory can't be far off.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    2 years ago

Paraphrasing MLK Jr, SCOTUS nominees should be chosen for the quality of their qualifications and the content of their character, not by the color of their skin or their gender.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1  CB  replied to  Sparty On @6    2 years ago

Don't dare try to play games with black women qualifications to serve on SCOTUS, Sparty On. Care to point out where each nominee(s) falls 'short'? Please proceed. . . .  Or, desist.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  CB @6.1    2 years ago
Don't dare try to play games with black women qualifications to serve on SCOTUS

You might have a point if that is actually what I did but since I didn’t ...... yawn!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.2  CB  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    2 years ago

You can clarify yourself. Oh look, time and space lies before you. Please tell us why you felt it necessary to remind us of MLK's statement. What were we lacking? Please write in 'layman's words.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  CB @6.1.2    2 years ago

Lol ..... you are owed no clarification.    The meaning of my comment is self evident ..... to most anyway.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.4  CB  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.3    2 years ago

Yeah. Thought so. Just another instance of SSDD feelings and continued outrages from some conservatives.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  CB @6.1.4    2 years ago

Nope, you’re wrong again.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.6  CB  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.5    2 years ago

It's called, "stalling" SO.   SOSDD.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.1    2 years ago
Don't dare try to play games with black women qualifications to serve on SCOTUS, Sparty On. Care to point out where each nominee(s) falls 'short'? Please proceed. . . .  Or, desist.

Care to point out where he said anything of the sort?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @6.1.2    2 years ago
You can clarify yourself. ... Please write in 'layman's words.

Seems that the only one who doesn't understand what Sparty is saying is YOU.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.8    2 years ago

The proposition that the main consideration here should be the color of ones skin or their gender, is simply preposterous to anyone but the most bigoted individual.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.5    2 years ago

It is hard to argue with someone when they put words in your mouth and argue the words they invented.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.10    2 years ago

Lol ..... such is the typical internet blog ..... 

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.12  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.8    2 years ago

Peanut gallery response. Collect 2¢ here. And let me add this: You made yourself ABUNDANTLY clear with something you wrote heading to the November 2020 election. I have never forgotten it and think about it every time you enter discussions: Feigning friendship and a single shot to the back of heads.

Came through strong and clear.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.13  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @6.1.12    2 years ago
You made yourself ABUNDANTLY clear with something you wrote heading to the November 2020 election.

I made myself abundantly clear in 6.1.8    

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.14  CB  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.9    2 years ago

You forgot that Black, female, and qualified is the order of the day. It just puts on display some conservative silliness to ignore the qualifications just to pick at race and gender. No one cares about petty conservatives. If you ask me, some conservatives are ready for museum shelves. God knows, it's just too much trouble from a fading group of hypocrites and old-hens trying to peck and vex. Always mumbling and bitching about the good other people are trying to do for other than themselves.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
6.1.15  Nowhere Man  replied to  CB @6.1.14    2 years ago
You forgot that Black, female, and qualified is the order of the day.

And Dr King would have said Good Character and Well Qualified, Being the main issues, being black and female would have been ancillary to the selection...

But then It's plain, character and qualification take a back seat to race and gender in todays democrat party... Image is everything....

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.16  CB  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.1.15    2 years ago

And again you are absent the point.  Black women are qualified to serve on SCOTUS as they are to serve on federal courts. They follow the career steps and still get 'pushback' from you? 

You keep returning to "race and gender" (the obvious talking point): strange for we have Amy Barrett Comey and Clarence Thomas, both conservatives, seated on our high court. Speaks for itself you see the two justices as qualified. So is this the usual gripe against liberals, or this combination of race and ideology that is a 'no' for you? 

And do write in layman's terms. Communicate.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
6.1.17  Nowhere Man  replied to  CB @6.1.16    2 years ago
Black women are qualified to serve on SCOTUS as they are to serve on federal courts. They follow the career steps and still get 'pushback' from you? 

Did I say they weren't? No I didn't despite your characterization... And no pushback, if they are qualified and of good character than by all means nominate, approve and seat them...

But the president of the united states stating publicly that the first criteria of his choice is skin color and what sexual equipment they have? and that was said before the issue of a replacement SCJ actually became an actual consideration...

Which proves that it means skin color and sexual role/capacity is more important to him than character and qualifications....

And that is the plain truth of the matter... Despite your obvious partisan babbling otherwise...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.1.15    2 years ago

Yep, one wonders if they are really that bigoted or just towing the party line.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.19  CB  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.1.17    2 years ago

So your 'beef' if there is one is with the president, and not about qualifications or character? So why bait us with @6.1.15 "Image is everything" no mention of a president in any way at all entire comment?  Very disingenuous or piss poor COMMUNICATION. A president owes his constituents who have demonstrated voting for him or her in the past, solemnity in the presence, or risk becoming DISINGENUOUS.

Libertarians, who are republican and conservatives, and trumpists, are not going to recommend or support a liberal justice of any stripe. Why? Because Trump does not support the 'position.' 

Some conservatives should know partisanship because of the daily 'kissing of the ring' as they pick up those talking points.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
6.1.20  Nowhere Man  replied to  CB @6.1.19    2 years ago

Now you resort to personal attacks and Trump hate... the standard position of a liberal who can't respond in any coherent manner to the point made...

Weak, VERY weak....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.21  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.1.20    2 years ago

Haters gotta hate .....

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.22  CB  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.1.20    2 years ago

Your 'points' are not coherent, Nowhere Man. You seem to think you can invoke some privilege here—nope, you can not. Tell the truth and leave the partisan 'butchery' to that Old fart: Donald J. Trump.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
6.1.23  Nowhere Man  replied to  CB @6.1.22    2 years ago
You seem to think you can invoke some privilege here

Man, you are a laugh a minute.... Default to the racist claim every single time...

Must be nice to be the only non-racist on the planet... {chuckle}

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago
"A new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds that a plurality of Americans view the Supreme Court as a body motivated by partisanship."
I agree that political partisanship plays a big role when it comes to decisions handed down by a court wherein the appointment of judges is such a political partisan issue, and there is such a consistency in pointing out the ratio (i.e. 6-3).  It would be a cold day in hell when a Democrat POTUS would nominate a Republican, or a Republican POTUS would nominate a Democrat, when what is REALLY important is to appoint the most brilliant legal minds, and that should be the priority over representation (e.g. sex, race, religion, ethnicity, even party).  I think back to the West Wing episode concerning the appointment to the bench of a Judge whose decisions were almost never reversed, but upheld, and it made no difference that he was a Latino.  When questioned about the fact that he was hardly ever reversed, Judge Mendoza (Edward James Olmos) replied "That's what happens when you're right most of the time."
But of course the West Wing TV series was pie in the sky, especially when a newly elected Democrat POTUS Matt Santos (Jimmy Smits) appointed a Republican Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda) to be Secretary of State.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    2 years ago
I agree that political partisanship plays a big role when it comes to decisions handed down by a court

Statistically, it actually doesn't play nearly the role people think it does.

People who follow politics avidly project their own beliefs and convince themselves that the judges are partisan whackjobs, but the numbers don't actually bear it out. 

Since 1986, at least 40% of the cases in any SCOTUS session have resulted in unanimous verdicts.