╌>

President Reagen speaks out re: importance of nominating a minority for Supreme Court Justice.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 years ago  •  60 comments

By:   BY THE LEARNING NETWORK

President Reagen speaks out re: importance of nominating a minority for Supreme Court Justice.
She was confirmed two months later, becoming the first woman to serve on the nation’s highest court.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Reagan nominates first person in history from this minority to the Supreme Court! (Photo: NYTimes)

On July 7, 1981, President Ronald Reagan appointed an Arizona judge, Sandra Day O’Connor, to the Supreme Court. She was confirmed two months later, becoming the first woman to serve on the nation’s highest court.

In announcing the appointment, President Reagan declared, “I made a commitment that one of my first appointments to the Supreme Court vacancy would be the most qualified woman that I could possibly find.

Brought on to be a conservative voice, Justice O’Connor established a more moderate position. She developed a reputation for appreciating the fine nuances of the law and for casting the deciding vote in key cases when the court was split.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

On July 7, 1981, President Ronald Reagan appointed an Arizona judge, Sandra Day O’Connor, to the Supreme Court. She was confirmed two months later, becoming the first woman to serve on the nation’s highest court.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Krishna @1    2 years ago

From the article....

Now, this is not to say that I would appoint a woman merely to do so. That would not be fair to women nor to future generations of all Americans whose lives are so deeply affected by decisions of the court.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Krishna @1    2 years ago

he had to show the thumpers he still had a dick. lucky for us raygun is exactly where he can now serve the US taxpayers best.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

In March 2009, Ms. O’Connor told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that more Americans can name a judge on “American Idol” than can name the three branches of government.

Concerned that young people lack civics knowledge, she founded a Web site, iCivics, as “a Web-based education project designed to teach students civics and inspire them to be active participants in our democracy.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Reagan's deserves credit for his precedent-setting decision to appoint someone from this particular minority (a woman) to the nation's highest court. His decision to do this has set a precedent and has led to several other women bing appointed-- something that would have been unheard of previously!

Three other women have followed Justice O’Connor to the Supreme Court: Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1993), Sonia Sotomayor (2009) and Elena Kagan (2010). All three are currently serving, making the current court, led by Chief Justice John Roberts, one-third female.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    2 years ago

Interestingly enough, Reagan never said he was limiting his search to ONLY one race of woman.

Imagine THAT!!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @4    2 years ago
Interestingly enough, Reagan never said he was limiting his search to ONLY one race of woman. Imagine THAT!!!!

And perhaps even more astounding-- Reagan never said he was limiting his search to ONLY one religion!

Absolutely Astounding! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @4.1    2 years ago
And perhaps even more astounding-- Reagan never said he was limiting his search to ONLY one religion!

Proving that he was smarter than Democrats could ever hope for Biden to be.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    2 years ago
Thanks for pointing that out!

WTF?

I did not "point that out"!

(I was going going to say "What planet are you on"...but decided against it)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @4.1.2    2 years ago
[deleted]

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    2 years ago

Most of the Trumpublican populists would call Reagan a RINO these days. He appointed a women to the SCOUTUS, gave amnesty to immigrants and consulted a astrologist.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @5    2 years ago

Most of the Trumpublican populists would call Reagan a RINO these days. He appointed a women to the SCOUTUS

Good point, Trump populists would never support a woman nominee to the Supreme Court. 

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    2 years ago

Trump supporters have been seriously misogynistic track record. You can deny and deflect all you want, but it doesn't make it less true. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    2 years ago
Trump supporters have been seriously misogynistic track record.

What nonsense.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    2 years ago

There is no evidence of that.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    2 years ago

supporters have been seriously misogynistic track record. You can deny and deflect all you want, but it doesn't make it less true. 

C'mon man. You just claimed would Trump supporters wouldn't support a woman nominee with the Barrett example right in front of you. 

Talk about deny and deflect...

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.5  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    2 years ago
You just claimed would Trump supporters wouldn't support a woman nominee with the Barrett example right in front of you. 

I did no such thing. I said:

Most of the Trumpublican populists would call Reagan a RINO these days. 

AND

Trump supporters have been seriously misogynistic track record.

You're the one that twisted general statements to fit a specific. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    2 years ago
Trump supporters have been seriously misogynistic track record. You can deny and deflect all you want, but it doesn't make it less true. 

But why should Trump supporters care about facts?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.3    2 years ago
There is no evidence of that.

Prove it!

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.8  evilone  replied to  Krishna @5.1.6    2 years ago
But why should Trump supporters care about facts?

They have all the "alternative" facts anyone needs.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @5.1.5    2 years ago
I did no such thing. I said:
Mostof the Trumpublican populists would call Reagan a RINO these days. 

Followed immediately by He appointed a women to the SCOUTUS, 

Are you kidding me by trying to pretend there's no connection between your sentences? You normally aren't that incoherent so I assume you were trying to make an argument and not just randomly listing concepts with no connection between them.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  evilone @5    2 years ago
consulted a astrologist.

I remember that!

Of course some Democrats tried to use that as a criticism-- although if it ever leaked that a Democrat consulted an Astrologer the Republicans would've done the same thing. 

lol

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.2    2 years ago

BTW, many (most?) successful people in high places have consulted Astrologers.

IIRC, it was Cornelius Vanderbilt who, when asked if millionaires consulted Astrologers, replied:

Millionaires don't, billionaires do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    2 years ago
IIRC, it was Cornelius Vanderbilt who, when asked if millionaires consulted Astrologers, replied: Millionaires don't, billionaires do.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure the quote is accurate...but I first heard it long ago (from a top Astrologer who at the time was one of the top market timers on Wall Street-- it may have been JP Morgan not Vanderbilt.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    2 years ago
BTW, many (most?) successful people in high places have consulted Astrologers.

IIRC, it was Cornelius Vanderbilt who, when asked if millionaires consulted Astrologers, replied:

Millionaires don't, billionaires do.

When I first started using the Internet (Soooo long ago!) I was having a discussionn with a devoutly religious person. I said to him that I assumed he didn't believe in Astrology. To my surprise he said he felt there was considerable validity to it.

One of the things he mentioned is that star that appeared and the correlation with the birth of Jesus. (That's the sort of thing Astrologers look at).

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.2.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @5.2    2 years ago

I believe it was Nancy that did that

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2.5  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @5.2.4    2 years ago
I believe it was Nancy that did that

Nancy did the talking but Quigley was called as many as 8 times a day on everything from Airforce One takeoff and landing times to Gorbachev's star chart. At a cost of $3000 a month.

The arrangement “began as a crutch,” Nancy wrote in her 1989 memoir. “Within a year or two, it had become a habit.” 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @5    2 years ago
Most of the Trumpublican populists would call Reagan a RINO these days. He appointed a women to the SCOUTUS,

Gee, how to explain Trump actually nominated a woman to SCOTUS, and all Senate Republicans save one voted for her confirmation while Democrats voted en masse against her?

Should be quite the spin!

gave amnesty to immigrants

A major fuck-up on Reagan's part. He should have known better than to trust Democrats.

consulted aastrologist.

Perhaps Democrats should dig him up and impeach him for that!

evilone
Professor Guide
5.3.1  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3    2 years ago
how to explain Trump actually nominated a woman to SCOTUS, and all Senate Republicans save one voted for her confirmation

Most of the Trumpublican party would follow (are following) Trump off a cliff. Populism isn't a long term governing solution so good luck with that.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  evilone @5.3.1    2 years ago
Populism isn't a long term governing solution so good luck with that.

That's why so many true Conservatives in the Republican party are opposed to Trump. They know he's not a true conservative (a political phlosophy  opposed to "Populism").

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @5.3.1    2 years ago
Most of the Trumpublican party would follow (are following) Trump off a cliff.

Now, that is amazing spin.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.3.2    2 years ago
That's why so many true Conservatives in the Republican party are opposed to Trump.

One of the better known example: the group of true conservative Republicans making up The Lincoln Project. They see populism as a force that will weaken the Republican party-- and at the very least corrupt its real conservative credentials. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.3.4    2 years ago
That's why so many true Conservatives in the Republican party are opposed to Trump.
One of the better known example: the group of true conservative Republicans making up The Lincoln Project. They see populism as a force that will weaken the Republican party-- and at the very least corrupt its real conservative credentials. 

Here's one of the Lincoln Project's recent videos (IMO one of the best ones they've ever done!):

"Bloodlines"

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @5.3.5    2 years ago
the group of true conservative Republicans making up The Lincoln Project. Lol... 

Where do you get such fanciful notions?   

If they declared themselves Martians, would you parrot that too?  The staff of the Lincoln Project is indistinguishable from any far left activist group.   

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.3    2 years ago
Now, that is amazing spin.

Well the degree of their stupidity-- and gullibility!-- may seem stupid to you-- but it is a fact! 

evilone
Professor Guide
5.3.8  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.3.6    2 years ago

A great example of a false appeal of purity OR the no true Scottsman defense. Top notch! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.9  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.3.7    2 years ago
Well the degree of their stupidity-- and gullibility!-- may seem stupid to you-- but it is a fact! 

Spin is spin.

Reading the responses and what the responses are TO is helpful, and I suggest you try it sometime.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @5.3.8    2 years ago
example of a false appeal of purity OR the no true Scottsman defense. Top notch! 

Well, no. It's a fact that the Lincoln project is staffed by progressive activists who were never Republicans or "conservatives".   It's not a secret. .

It's amazing anyone would even think that's controversial. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.3.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3    2 years ago
Perhaps Democrats should dig him up and impeach him for that!

Don't give them any ideas.  You know they are dumb enough to try it.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.4  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @5    2 years ago
Most of the Trumpublican populists would call Reagan a RINO these days. He appointed a women to the SCOUTUS, gave amnesty to immigrants and consulted a astrologist.

He was decidedly more liberal than Barack Obama.  He was a proven Keynesian.  He raised taxes 3 times, passed sweeping worker rights reform, AND did all the things you mentioned.

What made him a great president was the fact he put pragmatism ahead of impractical idealism.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jack_TX @5.4    2 years ago
was decidedly more liberal than Barack Obama

Well, that's not just  true.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.4.1    2 years ago
Well, that's not just  true.  

Based on their actions, it is.  I judge them not on what they say, but on what they do.

Most importantly, I ignore the idiocy from the brainless extremist sets of their detractors (not you, obviously).

Obama is the undisputed king of trickle-down economics and exploding income and wealth disparity.   Reagan was the king of government spending to create middle-class jobs.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.4.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jack_TX @5.4.2    2 years ago

sed on their actions, it is.  I judge them not on what they say, but on what they do

I agree it’s overtly simple to reduce Reagan or Obama to avatars of conservatism or liberalism who never deviated from their respective ideologies.  But it’s also important to remember that we operate in a system of divided powers and Reagan, for instance, never had a Republican Congress. So every piece of legislation associated with Reagan was the result of winning over Democrats to vote with him.  And Democrats never fail to remind everyone how Republicans controlled Congress for six of Obama’s years in office. 

So yes, the fact that he signed an amnesty bill that passed Congress with the understanding enforcement would be the next step was  not the "true Conservative" position. But Obama bypassed Congress and issued executive orders to grant amnesty.  Hard to see how that makes Reagan “more liberal.”   The same is true of taxes,  or the economy, Reagan’s admin fought for deregulation, Obama essentially nationalized health care.  Judges? Reagan had two moderate conservatives (the arch conservative Bork, was of course Borked) and the Conservative Scalia confirmed. Obama nominated a liberal and a crazy liberal. I don’t think anyone can argue with a straight face  that Obama nominated more conservative judges on the whole  than Reagan.

Whether we are talking about social issues, labor law (ask a union member what they thought of Reagan), environmental issues, etc, it’s hard to look at the entirety of their Presidencies and make a case that Obama was more conservative on that topic, let alone all of them as a whole.  Reagan generally started from the right and moved left as the political reality dictated and Obama the opposite.  Did that sometimes lead them to positions that the extremes of their party didn’t like? Sure, but lack of purity is a lot different than claiming they belong with the other ideology.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
5.4.4  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.4.3    2 years ago
Whether we are talking about social issues, labor law (ask a union member what they thought of Reagan), environmental issues, etc, it’s hard to look at the entirety of their Presidencies and make a case that Obama was more conservative on that topic, let alone all of them as a whole.  Reagan generally started from the right and moved left as the political reality dictated and Obama the opposite.  Did that sometimes lead them to positions that the extremes of their party didn’t like? Sure, but lack of purity is a lot different than claiming they belong with the other ideology.

The point being the presidency is not a political job... The worst presidents treat it as such, while the greatest, work within the atmosphere of the times to do the job...

The point being it is a job, not a political platform... Reagan is a great president cause he understood this, Obama is not cause he didn't...

Kennedy was a great president cause he understood this, LBJ was not for the same reasons Obama isn't....

Clinton became a much better president than he started out being cause he learned that you have to actually do the job... Biden has fallen flat on his face and is a disaster cause he views the job as a political one...

When it really isn't...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.4.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.4.3    2 years ago
So every piece of legislation associated with Reagan was the result of winning over Democrats to vote with him.

But he did.  That's the point.

But Obama bypassed Congress and issued executive orders to grant amnesty. 

No, he simply said we weren't going to lock them up just yet.

Obama essentially nationalized health care.

Naaah.  Not even remotely.  They basically passed a sort of Section 8 voucher program for healthcare that doesn't work very well.

Obama nominated a liberal and a crazy liberal.

Obama nominated tokens.  In that regard, yes, he was more liberal.

(ask a union member what they thought of Reagan)

I understand what they think.  My whole point is that people generally have erroneous perceptions.

Obama actively funded the biggest expansion of wealth and income inequality in American history, all while sitting by watching US manufacturing and union jobs steadily decline.

His actions were almost those of an oligarch, no matter how well intended.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Reagan, per Chuck Schumer, deserves a lot of credit for nominating the first non white male to the Supreme Court. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    2 years ago

Good point.

One of the unfortunate effects of the failed Trump Presidency has been to give many Americans the mistaken impression that all Republicans are racist-- which is certainly not the case!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @6.1    2 years ago
Good point.

Whoosh!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @6.1    2 years ago
One of the unfortunate effects of the failed Trump Presidency has been to give many Americans the mistaken impression that all Republicans are racist--

Republicans shouldn't worry what idiots are willing to fall for.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    2 years ago

Reagan, per Chuck Schumer, deserves a lot of credit for nominating the first non white male to the Supreme Court. 

Good point.

Somebody ought to seed an article about that!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    2 years ago

This seed is erroneous.  

Women have been a majority in the USA for some time.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @7    2 years ago
his seed is erroneous

Nope.

Not at all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @7.1    2 years ago
Not at all.

Maybe the seed isn't wrong, it is just you who are wrong.

Here are some of your own words (I hope they are yours, anyways) from post #3:

Reagan's deserves credit for his precedent-setting decision to appoint someone from this particular minority (a woman) to the nation's highest court.

Are women a minority in America?

Stats tell me no.

What do they say to you?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @7.1    2 years ago

Denial is not a good look for you.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago
This seed is erroneous

Nope.

Not at all.

I recommend you read it-- all of it.

Perhaps a bit more slowly and carefully.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9  Snuffy    2 years ago

Man, this site is getting boring.  Here's another seed on a topic that's already been beaten to death so that one side can fight with the other side and both sides can play their partisan games.

So Biden wants to nominate a black woman.  Big fucking deal...   Seems that the president usually gets to nominate who they want, so this is much of a non-subject. I am much more concerned that he nominates someone who will make a good judge.  I've read a few tidbits about some of the potential names and I have reservations about some of them. One has had several major decisions reversed on appeal, another has basically stated her willing to work against the freedom of religion clause. 

As I said before I don't care if it's female, male, binary, neutered, robotic..   I really don't care.  All I want is a jurist who believes in and works to follow the law and the constitution.  That seems much more important to me than this constant back and forth that passes for discourse on this board.

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
9.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Snuffy @9    2 years ago

The best most qualified to actually do the job...

100% agreed...

Race and gender crap should have no place in the selection process...

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.1    2 years ago
Race and gender crap should have no place in the selection process...

Excellent point Nowhere Man-- excellent!

(In fact its probably not much of a stretch to say that your remark is beyond excellent- - it actually may be truly brilliant!!! jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

Probably even deserving of a RANT award! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

In fact-- here's a wonderful seed that proves just how right you are:

President Reagan Speaks Out Re: Importance Of Nominating A Minority For Supreme Court Justice. jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @9.1.1    2 years ago

In fact-- here's a wonderful seed that proves just how right you are:

President Reagan Speaks Out Re: Importance Of Nominating A Minority For Supreme Court Justice.

How right -- actually . . . how very far Right!

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Probably even deserving of a RANT award! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

* RANT Award= " Random Act of Newstalkerness " Award!   jrSmiley_49_smiley_image.gif