╌>

Joe Rogan issues Saturday apology as clips surface showing him using N-word, comparing Black neighborhood to 'Planet of the Apes'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  89 comments

By:   Brian Linder (pennlive)

Joe Rogan issues Saturday apology as clips surface showing him using N-word, comparing Black neighborhood to 'Planet of the Apes'
Joe Rogan said in his Saturday apology, "Whenever you're in a situation where you have to say, 'I'm not racist,' you (f'd) up and clearly I have (f'd) up."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Joe Rogan issued a Saturday apology after clips of him using racial slurs were posted online.. (Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images)

By Brian Linder | blinder@pennlive.com

Just last week Joe Rogan was weighing in on who was really Black, and who wasn't.

Saturday, the comedian, UFC commentator and Spotify podcaster, was apologizing for using the n-word repeatedly and reportedly comparing a Black neighborhood to a "Planet of the Apes" movie. This, after India Arie posted a video showing Rogan using the n-word on his podcast. There were reportedly more than 20 clips of Rogan using the racial slur, which, per a CNN report, he said were from more than a decade ago.

• 19% of Spotify users surveyed say they plan to cancel service over Joe Rogan controversy: report

Rogan called it the "most regretful and shameful thing" he has had to address.

"I know that to most people, there's no context where a white person is ever allowed to say that, never mind publicly on a podcast, and I agree with that," he said according to the report. "Now, I haven't said it in years."

Arie, a singer and podcaster, is among a growing list of those who removed their content from Spotify in the wake of controversy surround "The Joe Rogan Experience" podcast. Most of the artists — Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and many of the others who joined them — left the platform in protest of COVID-19 misinformation being spread on Rogan's podcast. However, Arie sighted Rogan's discussion of race when leaving.

That followed a recent podcast in which Rogan had author and psychology professor Jordan Peterson on. Somehow, the duo worked into the topic of race when Peterson said that political commentator and professor Michael Eric Dyson called him a "mean, angry white man."

"There's such a spectrum of shades of people," he said. "Unless you're talking to someone who is, like, 100 percent African, from the darkest place, where they are not wearing any clothes all day and they've developed melanin to protect themselves from the sun, you know, even the term Black is weird. When you use it for people who are literally my color, it becomes very strange."

Arie, who used the hashtag #DeleteSpotify, said Rogan shouldn't be saying the n-word "under any context."

"Don't say it," she said. "That's where I stand. I have always stood there."

Per the report, this comes as Spotify "quietly removed 70 episodes of Joe Rogan's podcast" Friday. CNN said the company has yet to comment on whether that removal was related to this latest controversy.

In his apology Saturday, Rogan said he wasn't racist and that he used the word in context while referencing a Richard Pryor album and the film "Pulp Fiction."

"There's nothing I can do to take that back," he said. "I do hope that if anything, that this can be a teachable moment, because I never thought it would ever be taken out of context and put in a video like that.

"Whenever you're in a situation where you have to say, 'I'm not racist,' you (f'd) up and clearly I have (f'd) up."

According to the report, he also apologized for comparing a Black neighborhood to a Planet of the Apes movie.

"I certainly would never want to offend someone for entertainment with something as stupid as racism," he said.

Rogan's multi-year deal with Spotify for "The Joe Rogan Experience" podcast is reportedly worth more than $100 million.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

naw, white people dont say racist things. he's just misunderstood.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    2 years ago

Gotta love computers...and the internet.  Once it "out there" it's out there forever.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @2    2 years ago

Not a good moment for Joe.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @2.1    2 years ago

Never heard of him before Neil Young demanded his music be removed form Spotify.

Then again I wasn't aware of Spotify either, lol.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.1    2 years ago
Never heard of him before Neil Young demanded his music be removed form Spotify.

Its a big world out there! 

I've noticed that people that spend a lot of time online, but limit themselves to one site miss a lot. 

And I know people who limit their media exposure to one site (be it Internet ot TV news).,They assume they are getting all the news but they're not.

Often when people think of a "biased" news source they think it puts a slant on the news that they cover. But there's another, more insidious way. Some media just doesn't report stories that don't fit their agenda. They don't even mention it.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Krishna @2.1.2    2 years ago
Often when people think of a "biased" news source they think it puts a slant on the news that they cover. But there's another, more insidious way. Some media just doesn't report stories that don't fit their agenda. They don't even mention it.

There is an interesting web site (ground news) that includes a "blind spot" that is mostly ignored by one side or the other.  It also includes links to different sites so you can compare how each side is covering a story.  It is interesting to see that sometimes it is hard to believe the coverage of the two sides is about the same event.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

Fuck that racist.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

And this is why huckleberry Finn can’t be read anymore. 

The word is too scary.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago
And this is why huckleberry Finn can’t be read anymore. 

I can live with that. 

Somehow I don't have a burning desire to read Huckleberry Finn at this point in my life. 

(But if I ever do-- there are ways to obtain it-- safely-- without going to jail or paying a fine).

Dulay
Professor Guide
4.2  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

Yes, because the 21st century racist blathering of what passes as an 'entertainer', Joe Rogan, is just like the 19th century literature written by Mark Twain. /s

Oh and BTFW, Huck Fin was banned in the 19th century too. Get educated. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5  bugsy    2 years ago

Well, according to liberal standards, since Rogan apologized, all is forgiven and he should be back at his podcast on Monday,.

That;s the way it works, right, liberals?

Dulay
Professor Guide
5.2  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @5    2 years ago

Well, according to liberal standards, since Rogan apologized, all is forgiven and he should be back at his podcast on Monday,.

That;s the way it works, right, liberals?

Well based on the actual content of the Instagram post, since Rogan's 'apology' didn't include the words 'I'm sorry', it wasn't a REAL apology.

That's the way it works, right conservatives? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @5.2    2 years ago

Meh, I don't know of any leftist that have really ever used the words "I'm sorry" in their "apologies", but have never seen you whine about their non apology.

Rogan will rightly be back on his pod cast very soon.

Dulay
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @5.2.1    2 years ago

You musta missed the 'Biden never said 'I'm sorry' thread. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @5.2.2    2 years ago

You musta thought I gave a shit

Dulay
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @5.2.3    2 years ago

About being informed? Obviously not. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.5  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @5.2.4    2 years ago

I can assure you nothing you post have ever been informative.

Snarky? yes

Rude? yes

Narcissist? yes

Obtuse? yes

Informative?

Nope

Dulay
Professor Guide
5.2.7  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @5.2.5    2 years ago

Thank you for illustrating the concept of triggered. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @5.2.4    2 years ago
"About being informed? Obviously not." 

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
5.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  bugsy @5    2 years ago

273386153_3141090212699028_6002024363123842357_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=A0EOWyzis88AX-bnjv6&tn=ghl0wkvsXU053HIm&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_RHQzRv8RtiUTm32V0Wi52vXIvgSjElklp6VGfmjGCAg&oe=62042969

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.3    2 years ago

nice apples to cow pie comparison meme.

internet pod cast which isn't news compared to a single cable news service.

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.3.2  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @5.3.1    2 years ago

exactly the same thing in the anti-intellect movement.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
5.3.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Split Personality @5.3.1    2 years ago
cable news service.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Guide
5.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.3    2 years ago
Wants to be proven wrong.

Got what he wanted. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    2 years ago

So spotify removed 70 episodes. Trying to protect him?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  Krishna  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

So spotify removed 70 episodes. Trying to protect him?

I don't think Spotify is trying to protect Rogan..I think Spotify is trying to protect Spotify!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Krishna @6.1    2 years ago

maybe the swedes can come up with a positive solution to be announced before their NYSE sell off...

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2  devangelical  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

they just removed the N-word episodes...

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
6.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

According to Spotify Joe removed them with their OK.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
6.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  Ender @6    2 years ago

Spotify "quietly removed 70 episodes of Joe Rogan's podcast" Friday.

Spotify sanitized their content.  Rogan was happy to do it to protect his $100 million contract.

Rogan probably doesn't give a shit about his reputation butt he does care about keeping his contract intact.

I used to think Rogan was sort of funny butt his anti-vax bullshit is dangerous and could have contributed to people dying from COVID.

Rogan's use of the N-word didn't kill anyone butt the disinformation about COVID may have.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

If you don't like Joe, don't listen to him.  All the keyboard warriors going after Joe.  So sad they don't have a life and have to resort to trying to destroy people.  They are just evil hearted  dweebs and should be ignored.  Maybe then they will get out of their parents basements and get jobs.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @7    2 years ago

What about Rogan calling a black neighborhood Planet of the Apes?  Have you got any thoughts on that?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago

Some people are racist. Some people are not.

In both camps there are some who are passionate about their views...and other who don't care that much.

When a site has racists on a lot, its a doubleedged sword-- they may loose a lot of viewers, but they may also gain views.

(I think that there are media outlets that really just want to report the news, accurately and without bias. As much as possible).

However many are driven by ratings-- wanting to attract as many readers/viewers as they can, bucause that's how they make lots more money..

One way to do this is by controversy-- be it racial, religious, or some other form of sensationalism.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago

Ignorant.  See 7      What do you think of Whoopies Jewish American Princess fried chicken recipe?   

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Krishna @7.1.1    2 years ago
(I think that there are media outlets that really just want to report the news, accurately and without bias. As much as possible).

I sure would like to know where they are.  I am not having much luck finding reporting of the news without spin.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago

He has the First Amendment right to offend anyone he wants.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.4    2 years ago

I have to admit watching all the heads explode over a comment (especially a comment made years ago) is somewhat entertaining.  Sad, but entertaining.  It is most entertaining when their effort to have someone canceled fails, which seems to be happening more and more.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @7.1.2    2 years ago

Your comment merits no reply.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.7  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.6    2 years ago

Your response reminds me of when my kids would call their friends on the phone to tell them they are ignoring them.

I sure hope that doesn't mean you are ok with what Whoopi did.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.4    2 years ago
He has the First Amendment right to offend anyone he wants.

Yes, he does, but what is the usual tact is that they use the derogatory words while hiding behind a microphone, or on the internet, I'd like to see Rogan walk up to a black man and call him an N......to his face. 

Kinda like on NT ignorant racists can hide behind the keyboard.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @7.1.7    2 years ago

Goldberg's comment about race and the Holocaust was ignorant, because it is well known that Hitler considered Jews to be a race.  But what she said was not a racial slur. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.9    2 years ago
Jewish American Princess fried chicken recipe was, at least the Anti-Defamation League, which labeled it "insulting" and "anti-Semitic", thought so.  It will be interesting to see if she gets a pass because her fans rationalize it away.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.6    2 years ago
Your comment merits no reply.

Isn't your comment a reply?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.11    2 years ago

[Deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.12    2 years ago

Must not be a reply to me according to your new standards.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.14  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @7.1.8    2 years ago
I'd like to see Rogan walk up to a black man and call him an N......to his face. 

I'd like to see him 30 minutes after he did...

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.15  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @7.1.8    2 years ago

Or like all the internet warriors that call everyone that does not agree with them the way they want a racist.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.16  Right Down the Center  replied to  devangelical @7.1.14    2 years ago

Why is that, you think all black men would resort to violence when someone calls them a name?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.17  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.9    2 years ago

You forgot to respond to this:  Whoopies Jewish American Princess fried chicken recipe was a racist slur, at least the Anti-Defamation League, which labeled it "insulting" and "anti-Semitic", thought so.  It will be interesting to see if she gets a pass because her fans rationalize it away.  Or just ignored.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.1.18  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Kavika @7.1.8    2 years ago

and defend their fellow bigots with whataboutisms and deflections. They never come right out and say they endorse the racist sentiments their right wing media heroes have expressed, that would expose their own deep seated prejudices. It's easier and sleazier to hide behind rhetorical deflections and general attacks on main stream media or to attack the messenger maligning the source instead of being forced to denounce the racism of their right wing media personality with whom they no doubt share beliefs. Instead they have to pretend that prejudice is not that common among their right wing brethren when in reality they know its the glue that keeps right wing white conservative Christians together in this country.

And while Joe does have first amendment rights to be as racist as he wants to be, he issued a half hearted apology because he knows everyone else has the right to call him a fucking racist and stop listening if he's too toxically racist.

And the apology was only half hearted because he also doesn't want to offend his large number of right wing racist white conservative listeners who no doubt make up a large portion of his listener base. If he condemned racism too vociferously his conservative listeners might think he's talking about them, be offended and stop tuning in.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1.18    2 years ago

My God, man, is everyone who isn't a woke white progressive liberal a racist conservative Christian to you now?

Are white conservative Christians a problem for you?

That is a very broad generalization coming from you.

And to most observers with brains, clearly false.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.20  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.19    2 years ago

You seem surprised.  It is written clearly in the woke manual.  "If you are not one of us it is because you are a racist, and you probably kick puppies".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @7.1.20    2 years ago
You seem surprised.  It is written clearly in the woke manual.  "If you are not one of us it is because you are a racist, and you probably kick puppies".

I'm still trying to figure out what pisses them off more--is it because they are white, religious, or conservative?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
7.1.22  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.21    2 years ago

Non woke would be my guess.  I think the thing that pisses them off the most is a black conservative though.  Especially if they voted for Trump.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.1.23  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.19    2 years ago
is everyone who isn't a woke white progressive liberal a racist conservative Christian to you now?

No, but the odds that a large portion of Joe Rogan's 11 million listeners are right wing conservative Christians who share Rogan's views and apparent prejudices are pretty high.

Are white conservative Christians a problem for you?

Only the ones who spend their days claiming America is a 'Christian Nation', try to force their religious views on others through legislation or those perennially proclaiming their pretend persecution.

That is a very broad generalization coming from you.

If the shoe fits. And I didn't say the majority of white conservative Christians are racist, I said that of Joe Rogan's listeners, a large portion are likely right wing racist white conservatives. Birds of a feather...

And to most observers with brains, clearly false.

It's easy to see for most observers with both brains and eyes that aren't blinded by the flying pig slop that is continually flung by right wing media. Their message is a resounding "Don't look up! Don't believe your eyes! Don't believe the MSM! Don't believe anything anyone else tells you because they're 'deep state' socialist ANTIFA BLM liberal coastal elitists bent on destroying America!". And that message is only embraced by ignorant dumb fuck right wing conservative bigots with their heads shoved up their own asses which apparently is the demographic Joe Rogan is most popular among.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1.23    2 years ago
No, but the odds that a large portion of Joe Rogan's 11 million listeners are right wing conservative Christians who share Rogan's views and apparent prejudices are pretty high

Let's see some evidence to back that claim up.

Only the ones who spend their days claiming America is a 'Christian Nation', try to force their religious views on others through legislation or those perennially proclaiming their pretend persecution.

Like the "woke crowd" does--forcing their beliefs on us all.

Personally, I think you spend way too much time lambasting others you don't agree with because of their religion and politics. 

But what else have you really got?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1.23    2 years ago
"It's easy to see for most observers with both brains and eyes that aren't blinded by the flying pig slop that is continually flung by right wing media. Their message is a resounding "Don't look up! Don't believe your eyes! Don't believe the MSM! Don't believe anything anyone else tells you because they're 'deep state' socialist ANTIFA BLM liberal coastal elitists bent on destroying America!". And that message is only embraced by ignorant dumb fuck right wing conservative bigots with their heads shoved up their own asses which apparently is the demographic Joe Rogan is most popular among."

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1.23    2 years ago
It's easy to see for most observers with both brains and eyes that aren't blinded by the flying pig slop that is continually flung by right wing media. Their message is a resounding "Don't look up! Don't believe your eyes! Don't believe the MSM! Don't believe anything anyone else tells you because they're 'deep state' socialist ANTIFA BLM liberal coastal elitists bent on destroying America!".

You appear to be a real expert on right wing media.

Since I personally don't listen to it, I will trust your expertise since you do listen to it.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.1.27  al Jizzerror  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago

goose is back
Junior Guide
7.1.28  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    2 years ago
Have you got any thoughts on that?

JR, if I am not mistaken a while back I made a comment about the massive amount of shootings in Chicago and you responded (I am paraphrasing) its just gang bangers shooting gang bangers. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

This would be a lot worse if the n word weren’t used by so many black people multiple times in a single sentence of everyday conversation with their black friends.  I’m tired of this word being used as a cudgel and a term of endearment simultaneously.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    2 years ago

Have you seen the movie 12 Years A Slave ?  In it the white slaveowners repetedly call the slaves nigg-r.  No white should ever use the word unless they are using it to decry its use. 

I am not as upset if blacks use it because its not my business. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    2 years ago

It’s not a tasteful word for anyone to use in this day and age, but it is disingenuous for someone to feign cultural outrage over a word that is so acceptingly used within their culture and amongst themselves.  How hard would it be to just stop saying a word that in most contexts is considered racist?  Other ethnicities do not debase themselves in this manner.  I’ve never heard a Hispanic refer to another Hispanic with a common racist slur, or any other group in our culture.  Maybe it’s time that word gets retired by everyone.

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.1    2 years ago

I worked as an art dept. manager at a large screen-printing company with Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans and mix of multiple South American countries. I was one of the few who spoke English. I spoke some 'working' Spanish but had to ask my Screen maker to come into my office and translate some words I had jotted down that I had overheard but didn't understand. Turns out that most of them were racial slurs or swear words. Each Hispanic demographic had their own derogatory term for the other. Hell, people from one Mexican state had a derogatory term for those from other states. It was very 'flowery' language...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dulay @8.1.2    2 years ago

Are these tee shirt slogans (slurs) popular in the US?  It just seems so ironic to advertise the worst aspect of your ethnicity.  I can’t imagine a Hispanic man walking around calling fellow immigrants wet backs or spics.  Different ethnicities may be open about their disrespect for certain other ethnicities, but it is almost unheard of for the most recognizable slur to become a colloquial term of endearment amongst the supposed victims.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
8.1.4  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.1    2 years ago
I’ve never heard a Hispanic refer to another Hispanic with a common racist slur,

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment of your comment, but I had to throw this in here. I worked, for several years, with a bunch of dudes that came to the US by other than legal means. They consistently called each other "mojado." If you don't know, that's slang for wet back. Most often, it was pinche mojado, and they threw it around like a hot potato.

Just this afternoon, I was talking with a black man, I had never met. I think he called me the N word 20 times during our conversation. Friendly conversation. I sincerely doubt it would have continued to be a friendly conversation had I reciprocated, which goes to your point. 

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.3    2 years ago
Are these tee shirt slogans (slurs) popular in the US?

Why ask me? Turn on the TV and see for yourself. 

I merely addressed your comment about never hearing a Hispanic referring to another Hispanic with a racial slur. I have, repeatedly, on a day-to-day basis for years. As I have with White and Black people. 

White guys call each other rednecks MFers all the time. 

A white guy who I know has used the nick name Hillbilly for 20 years, he had it tattooed on his chest. I use his given name. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dulay @8.1.5    2 years ago

You think that redneck is the white equivalent of the n word?  Not even close.  And no, when I turn on the tv I’m not hearing Latinos calling each other the worst racial slur in our language.  That is a very false equivalency.

Three of my four grandsons come from a mixed race background, having white mothers and mixed race fathers.  You won’t hear the n word tossed around in their house just like you would never hear it in my house.  It’s embarrassing to be walking through an outdoor event with my grandkids and hear black people calling each other the n word, or for it to be blasted out of a car speaker, or to be blurted out on a tv show.  It’s embarrassing because it is such an obvious double standard.  Black people also call each other brother, which is a perfectly reasonable show of solidarity with members of your culture.  It has the same cadence and could be used in every instance where the n word is being used instead.  It’s up to them to start curbing their own debasement if they want me to start being outraged over the n word.  

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.6    2 years ago
You think that redneck is the white equivalent of the n word?  Not even close. 

So, you went from the use of racial slurs by non-blacks, to suddenly requiring a standard for equivalence. 

And no, when I turn on the tv I’m not hearing Latinos calling each other the worst racial slur in our language.  That is a very false equivalency.

Then you ask 'are tee shirt slogans (slurs) popular in the US' [VISUALS] and suddenly require a standard of HEARING racial slurs from a specific demographic. 

BTFW Hal, I presume that you are designating the 'N-word' as the worst racial slur in our language. I can tell you from personal experience, POC who are not AA and non-Christians endure racial slurs that are equally as hurtful and harmful to them as the 'N-word' is to AAs. 

It’s embarrassing because it is such an obvious double standard.

Based on that comment, it sounds like your issue is that you're just pissed that blacks can 'get away with it' but you can't. 

It’s up to them to start curbing their own debasement if they want me to start being outraged over the n word.  

So, it's effect on your grandsons be damned. Got ya. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.8  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dulay @8.1.7    2 years ago

BTFW Hal, I presume that you are designating the 'N-word' as the worst racial slur in our language.

Lol.  What a joke.  This whole conversation is stupid.  Watching you pretzel your way around defining whether a word should be a slur or not based solely on the color or ethnicity of the speaker who says it is embarrassing.  I’m no more interested in being a part of a culture where white people commonly run around calling each other honkey, cracker or white devil than having to hear black people call each other nigger.  The word needs to go the way of the dodo.  If intelligent extraterrestrials ever find us they’re going to be awfully confused about how to communicate with us.

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.8    2 years ago
Lol.  What a joke.  This whole conversation is stupid.  

Half of it is your produce Hal. 

Watching you pretzel your way around defining whether a word should be a slur or not based solely on the color or ethnicity of the speaker who says it is embarrassing.  

Strawman Hal. 

I never questioned whether a word should be a slur. You fabricated that. 

I’m no more interested in being a part of a culture where white people commonly run around calling each other honkey, cracker or white devil than having to hear black people call each other nigger.  

No one is forcing you to. 

The word needs to go the way of the dodo.  

So, only one word. Which one and why only that one? 

If intelligent extraterrestrials ever find us they’re going to be awfully confused about how to communicate with us.

Intelligent extraterrestrials will already be well aware that humans are tribal, bigoted and racially divide.

We should be more focused on how WE communicate with each other. Racial pejoratives go the way of the dodo through peer pressure and evolving what is accepted by society. That evolution takes time. Outsiders making demands of what words one group can use amongst themselves is counterproductive. It doesn't win 'hearts and minds'. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.10  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dulay @8.1.9    2 years ago

We should be more focused on how WE communicate with each other.

Like not calling each other racial slurs that offend us when other people say them?

Racial pejoratives go the way of the dodo through peer pressure and evolving what is accepted by society. That evolution takes time.

To my knowledge Italian Americans never went through a phase of calling each other wops or dagos.  I imagine that if any Italian child tried it in the company of their parents they would have got an ass whooping.  How many hundreds of years need to pass before the African American community reaches the conclusion that calling each other the n word 100 times a day is not a positive step in stamping out racism?  Sorry, but of all the stupid shit that falls out of Joe Rogan’s brain and lands on his tongue, this is not the hill to die on - particularly when it happened decades ago when apparently nobody cared enough to call him out on it.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.10    2 years ago

That was apparently when he was on you tube "building his brand".

Nowhere Man
Junior Participates
8.1.12  Nowhere Man  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.10    2 years ago
How many hundreds of years need to pass before the African American community reaches the conclusion that calling each other the n word 100 times a day is not a positive step in stamping out racism?  Sorry, but of all the stupid shit that falls out of Joe Rogan’s brain and lands on his tongue, this is not the hill to die on - particularly when it happened decades ago when apparently nobody cared enough to call him out on it.

Hal I just listened this morning to a radio show called the Gee and Ursula show, Gee is a Liberal black man and was discussing at length what you are here...

How can a word be a racial pejorative when used by one race when it is clearly and freely used as a friendly buddy greeting or designator for another?

That is one hell of a double standard...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.3    2 years ago
I can’t imagine a Hispanic man walking around calling fellow immigrants wet backs or spics.

My brother in law has. And he's Hispanic. But he feels superior to the immigrants that have crossed the borders in the last 30 years. All of his brothers do

Veronica
Professor Guide
8.1.14  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.13    2 years ago

I am kinda on the fence about the whole thing.  The best way I can explain is that if some random person called me a hag, I would be insulted because of what the word "hag" means in the present time.  However, if a pagan calls me a "hag" I take it as a compliment because to us it means "wise woman".  Same with the word crone.  So I just do not know where I stand on this issue - however I do believe that people take words to hear too much - like fuck, shit and asshole.  These words send some into apoplectic fits because they are bad, dirty words.  I get upset more by the treatment of people than at the words.  Take how some on here can say words that may be taken as nasty, but meant in fun or jest, but others whole demeaner towards others is downright degrading. 

Sorry - just a rant.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.15  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.13    2 years ago

But that is different than using it as greeting for a friend.  I am guilty of calling various people white trash throughout my life - if the shoe fit.  But even that term does not have the same weight as the n word.  If a white jerk says to a black person something like “black people are all thieves”, it wouldn’t be out of line for the black person to respond by calling that guy white trash.  If a black jerk made some derogatory statement to a white person denigrating all white people, it would always be out of line and wrong for the white person to respond by calling him the n word.  It’s not a word that belongs in any conversation, much less as a greeting used over and over.

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.10    2 years ago
Like not calling each other racial slurs that offend us when other people say them?

Your example isn't communicating, it's overhearing at best and eavesdropping at worst. 

To my knowledge Italian Americans never went through a phase of calling each other wops or dagos.  I imagine that if any Italian child tried it in the company of their parents they would have got an ass whooping.  

To my knowledge, Italian Americans never had to endure generations of slavery during which they were required to answer to 'Hey wop' or 'Hey dago' with 'Yessum massa'. 

How many hundreds of years need to pass before the African American community reaches the conclusion that calling each other the n word 100 times a day is not a positive step in stamping out racism?  

Since they aren't the ones that fostered the practice, why do you think that the African American community has to alter their vocabulary to stamp out racism? 

Secondly Hal, earlier you seemed to recognize that not everyone in the African American community uses the 'N-word', so why have you devolved to conflating and demeaning the entire AA community? 

Sorry, but of all the stupid shit that falls out of Joe Rogan’s brain and lands on his tongue, this is not the hill to die on - particularly when it happened decades ago when apparently nobody cared enough to call him out on it.

Well gee, since I haven't said a fucking thing about Joe Rogan, that's irrelevant. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9  Greg Jones    2 years ago

"19% of Spotify users surveyed say they plan to cancel service over Joe Rogan controversy"

It's doubtful they really will. Censorship in a free society is wrong

Didn't he used to host "Fear Factor'?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Greg Jones @9    2 years ago

I also wonder how many people they will gain.  I have the free version but have no desire to get the paid version.  I use a couple other free apps to get all the music I want.  I am a bit surprised that you can get Rogan on the free version though.  I fully expected them to make it so you have to get the paid version to listen to him, like I believe you have to have to listen to Howard Stern.  This controversy may push back those plans, assuming they were going to do it.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
9.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @9    2 years ago
Censorship in a free society is wrong

Oh, the irony. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
10  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

I understand Joe just got an offer of 100 million dollars over 4 years if things don't work at Spotify.  Joe is like Chapelle, getting canceled all the way to the bank.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1  Split Personality  replied to  Right Down the Center @10    2 years ago

That was Rumble who made the offer.

Rogan's "best year" was apparently the $30 Million he made in 2019

and his net worth is over $100 million.

He hasn't lost anything yet.

The CEO of Spotify on the other hand has lost $1 Billion of Spotify's stock value.

Personally, I have no sympathy for either one of them, or anyone else who makes millions "talking" to the public.

We are insane to pay these people to deliberately fuel divisiveness among us...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @10.1    2 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

A grossly overpaid moron.  

Hard to believe how much hate pays.  

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
10.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Split Personality @10.1    2 years ago

I semi agree.  I looked a little into Rogan.  It seems he was a Bernie supporter and his political leanings are different depending on the issue.  It seems he has people on his show that both agree with him and disagree with him.  It seems he gives them the freedom to say whatever they want and he asks pretty good questions to dive into that.  It seems he makes people think.  Not sure I would consider that divisive but I am not really a listener.  Which brings me to my next question. I wonder if the people working so hard to cancel him even listen to his show or just make their decision based on one or two sound bites from a show, or shows from 10 years ago?.  

While some people may consider him divisive I do consider shows like the view divisive, although it is based on very limited exposure.

I do, however, wonder why any of these people make as much as they do.  I wonder why actors, people that make millions pretending they are someone else and sports stars make as much as they do.  Many of them say divisive things but seem to be given a pass as do some of the talking heads on TV.  But as long as there is an audience we will continue to pay them millions.

Ultimately I don't think the fault lies with them but all the people that listen/watch  them and make major decisions on their lives based on what a "celebrity? says.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
10.1.3  al Jizzerror  replied to  Split Personality @10.1    2 years ago
We are insane to pay these people to deliberately fuel divisiveness among us...

At least Rogan is not running for office (yet).

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  al Jizzerror @10.1.3    2 years ago

273530094_10223797374415319_4135060624466049374_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=xi33uyBPRVcAX-BzDj-&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT87YKXCAMnNUXIxJ85s3xDH5Qy1sFTYVzTHTBdZxRvEcw&oe=6206A083

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.5    2 years ago

Doesn't sound like the government to me.  Sounds like the anti-masking morons.  

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
11  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

I jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg  Issac Asimov.