╌>

Exclusive: 98-year-old investing legend Charlie Munger 'appalled by the fear of vaccination' in the U.S.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  2 years ago  •  59 comments

By:   Adriana Belmonte, Yahoo Finance

Exclusive: 98-year-old investing legend Charlie Munger 'appalled by the fear of vaccination' in the U.S.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

dims?image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fcreatr-uploaded-images%2F2019-12%2F83649830-21b0-11ea-bffd-48a3dd0b3159&compress=1&progressive=1&quality=75&client=hawkeye&signature=6f192b1c72186789aa106efb383aa3e799edba8b Adriana Belmonte ·Senior Editor Wed, February 16, 2022, 2:06 PM Legendary investor Charlie Munger, speaking with Yahoo Finance Editor-in-Chief Andy Serwer in an exclusive interview, spoke bluntly about vaccine hesitancy in the U.S.

“I have been appalled by the fear of vaccination by a big chunk of the nation,” the Berkshire Hathaway vice chairman said when asked about the COVID-19 pandemic. “Speaking for myself, I couldn’t wait to be vaccinated. And I think the risks of being vaccinated are way less than the risk of not being vaccinated."

According to the CDC, there’s a minuscule 0.002% chance of the vaccine causing death while approximately 5 people per one million vaccinated in the U.S. have gone into anaphylactic shock. In comparison, according to the CDC, unvaccinated individuals are at least 14 more likely to die from COVID than someone who is fully vaccinated and 68 times more likely to die from the virus than someone who has received their booster shot.

About 64.5% of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated,according to the CDC, meaning that about 35.5% of the population is not fully vaccinated.

“It’s really, massively stupid not to welcome vaccination,” the 98-year-old Munger said. “We probably have 30% of the people in the country that think vaccination is evil and [are] coming after them like the hobgoblins. It’s not good that there’s that much ignorance left.”

99d53c40-8f5a-11ec-bff3-d8cb49f90ae0 Charlie Munger on Yahoo Finance Live. (Yahoo Finance)

'When I was in World War Two... they didn't ask me'

To boost vaccination rates, some parts of the country and businesses have implemented vaccine mandates. President Biden tried a similar measure for all companies with more than 100 employees, but it wasdeemed unconstitutionalby the Supreme Court.

“If I were running the world, of course it would be mandatory,” Munger said. “When I was in World War Two’s army, they didn’t ask me if I wanted a vaccination. They just vaccinated me. It didn’t hurt me or anybody else in that world. We all just submitted to whatever the government told us to submit to. And it was no big deal. I don’t like big chunks of the country going crazy. And I would argue the anti-vaxxers are somewhat crazy.”

620d3ece4c19d1000162e02c_1280x720_FES_v1.jpg

Exclusive: Charlie Munger discusses inflation and crypto with Yahoo Finance

Charlie Munger, Chairman of the Daily Journal and Vice Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, sat down with Yahoo Finance Editor-In-Chief Andy Serwer for an exclusive wide-ranging interview on inflation, cryptocurrency, and the tech sector.

Anti-vaccine and anti-mask mandates have sprung up across the world, particularly in North America. A large group of Canadian truckers — known as theFreedom Convoy— recently blocked a key bridge connecting Canada and the U.S. when protesting against their country’s vaccine mandates and restrictions by creating vehicle convoys.

“I’ve been very proud of that border for a long, long time,” Munger said, adding: "It’s ridiculous. And shutting down an international bridge. That’s the kind of thing I expect to happen in France … I never expected it to happen in the United States and Canada. And I don’t think it’s good that it did happen.”

6c5fcd60-8f56-11ec-9dbd-7b0eca91a6c4 A person stands in front of trucks blocking Wellington Street as truckers and their supporters continue to protest against COVID vaccine mandates in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, February 15, 2022. REUTERS/Patrick Doyle

At the end of the day, he stressed, “it’s so much safer to be vaccinated than not vaccinated and so much more considerate to your fellow citizens. It’s a massive kind of ignorance that 30% of the people have, and of course it isn’t good.”

Adriana Belmonte is a reporter and editor covering politics and health care policy for Yahoo Finance. You can follow her on Twitter @adrianambells and reach her at adriana@yahoofinance.com.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

I'm so tired of the endless and relentless whining about 'government overreach' or whatever the Fux 'news' talking point word is this week regarding vaccine mandates and masking.  Whatever happened to common sense FFS?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @1    2 years ago
I'm so tired of the endless and relentless whining about 'government overreach' or whatever the Fux 'news' talking point word is this week regarding vaccine mandates and masking. 

Which is the reason that Democrat lead governments in those great bastion of stupidity are dropping them. Or it could be to try and save their stinking hides during midterms and the next voting cycle at the state and local levels.

Whatever happened to common sense FFS?

We have all been asking that of the Democrats for a very long time. Let us know when they find some?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1    2 years ago

time and mathematical probability will eventually take care of the anti-vax and anti-mandate stragglers. go natural selection go.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 years ago

It doesn't seem to be affecting/effecting the agnorant trolls one goddamned bit.  They're alive and whining and pissing and moaning and projecting, and deflecting, and denying CONSTANTLY.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.1    2 years ago

That's because they're in mom's basement and never leave the house. Of course they aren't going to get covid

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1    2 years ago

“If I were running the world, of course it would be mandatory,” Munger said. “When I was in World War Two’s army, they didn’t ask me if I wanted a vaccination. They just vaccinated me. It didn’t hurt me or anybody else in that world. We all just submitted to whatever the government told us to submit to.

Well.....those days are over. Governmental mandates are a slippery slope. Today it's vaccinations and masking...what will it be tomorrow? We aren't like Russia, China, North Korea, etc.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

At the end of the day, he stressed, “it’s so much safer to be vaccinated than not vaccinated and so much more considerate to your fellow citizens. It’s a massive kind of ignorance that 30% of the people have, and of course it isn’t good.”

It's a massive kind of agnorance.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago
It's a massive kind of agnorance.

Ignorance is pretending the Democrats understand or use science- except to further their own political agendas.

With each new strain of Covid the vaccines become less and less effective. The "vaccines" do not guarantee you will not get Covid; they will not prevent you from transmitting Covid; and they may- repeat that only may- lessen the affects of Covid. All Democrats are doing is lining their own pockets with their mandates; and making drug companies rich beyond their wildest imagination.

We are all wondering when Charlie Munger is going to pull his head out of Warren Buffet's ass? It must be getting hard to breath with how long its been up there. I am surprised the reporter didn't ask Warren Buffet what Charlie Munger thinks about getting vaccinated- it would have been the same answer; and would remove the middle man.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

“I have been appalled by the fear of vaccination by a big chunk of the nation,” the Berkshire Hathaway vice chairman said when asked about the COVID-19 pandemic. “Speaking for myself, I couldn’t wait to be vaccinated. And I think the risks of being vaccinated are way less than the risk of not being vaccinated."

I'm appalled by the complete lack of common sense, equally if not more so with parents and their children masking, especially in public places/schools - I think it's the alleged adults who are doing all the complaining about masking, not the kids.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

I am fully vaccinated with the two Moderna shots and the booster. I did that on my own for my safety, my immediate family's, and those I come into contact with in my small town. Nobody coerced me or told me I had to. It was my own choice alone and the only times I am required to wear a mask is going into my Dr's or dentist's office my granddaughter's public school, or city municipal buildings. Outside of those places I mentioned, masks are not required. It is up to the individual residents of my town to decide if they wear one. Except in the major metropolitan areas attempting vaccine and mask mandates there are zero said mandates or attempts in the rest of Arizona.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    2 years ago

I wonder who flagged/reported my comment for saying 'that's nice'???????????????????????????

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    2 years ago

As am I and they voted last night to reverse the county-wide mask mandate in Mecklenburg County. I rarely wore the mask unless, like you say, in a doctor's office and GovCo buildings. What I don't understand about the vaccine push has always been the fact that while it may keep you from severe cases, it DOES NOT KILL the virus and you can still get it and spread it even though the commentary is that if you get the vaccine, it will help slow the spread. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2    2 years ago

Yep. Then you have to get the booster for the booster, and another booster for the previous booster and so on. You have to wonder where it all ends?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.1    2 years ago

"Yep. Then you have to get the booster for the booster, and another booster for the previous booster and so on. You have to wonder where it all ends?"

Oh heaven forbid you have to get booster shots - say every six months.  

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

I don't understand why anyone would have issue with 'pushing' the vaccine.  EVERYONE WHO CAN GET VACCINATED SHOULD GET VACCINATED PLUS GET BOOSTERS - IT MAY ALWAYS BE NECESSARY TO GET A BOOSTER.

Whoever said the vaccine would kill the virus?  What vaccine kills a virus?????????????????????????

What was I saying about common sense again?  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.2    2 years ago

My apologies, I was being facetious.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.2    2 years ago
Whoever said the vaccine would kill the virus?  What vaccine kills a virus

None that I know of but what I do know is I can be around people with the seasonal flu in droves and the vaccine I get prevents me from even getting it. Not just making the symptoms milder like this one does. And this one STILL doesn't stop the vaccinated from getting the virus and spreading it. So, as said elsewhere, let those who don't want to get the vaccine, sign their own death warrant as they should be of little concern to those who ARE vaccinated if it is so effective and they will most likely either have mild or no symptoms.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.3    2 years ago

Sure you were.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.2    2 years ago
Whoever said the vaccine would kill the virus?  What vaccine kills a virus?????????????????????????
"None that I know of"

Then why bring it up?  Or act like it's a 'fact'?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.6    2 years ago

Because everyone treats the vaccine as though it is the hero to save us all when in fact the vaccination does NOT stop the acquisition and subsequent spread by those who have been vaccinated. And I didn't treat it as a fact. Read the rest of the comment about what the seasonal flu shot does and this one does not.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.6    2 years ago

Again, so why bring it up?  Or act like it's a 'fact'?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.3    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.9    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.10    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.9    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.9    2 years ago

Prove it. Oh that's right, you can't can you? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.11    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

If he's so smart, why isn't he rich?  Oh, wait a sec, he IS rich.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    2 years ago

He has had his head shoved up Buffet's ass for so long; that there had better be some kind of payoff.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1    2 years ago

It's really not that hard not to be crass.  Let's just say he had a good mentor.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

This article covers 2 completely separate but related issues.  Vaccinations and Mandates

Just like with every other vaccination there are those who will resist getting it.  They don't want to get it, fuck 'em.  That's on them.  Let nature run is course.

Now the mandates, that's a whole different issue that many, vaccinated and unvaccinated, have issue with.  The mandates were struck down by the courts.  Biden withdrew his OSHA Mandate.  Everybody needs to stop trying to force others to do shit that has no legal standings.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    2 years ago

It makes no sense to have issues with the mandates.  No sense whatsoever.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    2 years ago

There is that whole unconstitutional thing.  But then again left doesn't worry about, you know, shit like that.  As long as obedience is maintained.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    2 years ago

Okay, abortion is now illegal.

Accept that mandate?    Do ya?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.1    2 years ago

274190235_10159479175974760_2662259503019092218_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=WzTO4U9ZEEcAX9_OstK&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_IKq0iu1LSOTofCvjZkNWCAQfyB3TttQ6TKfv4Yapm8A&oe=621430F1

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    2 years ago

[removed]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.4    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.5    2 years ago

He doesn't even know who he's ranting at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.7    2 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    2 years ago
"This article covers 2 completely separate but related issues.  Vaccinations and Mandates"

So what?

You said it - separate - but related.  

So what are you complaining about NOW?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    2 years ago

They don't want to get it, fuck 'em.  That's on them.  Let nature run is course.

Unfortunately, nature’s course will run over not just them but also a ton of innocent people trying to do the right thing.  She will do this in the form of novel variants nurtured by the volume of unvaccinated bodies ready to incubate and extend the pandemic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.3    2 years ago

Their agnorance is beyond belief.  They don't give a fuck about anyone but their own agnorant selves.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @6.3.1    2 years ago
They don't give a fuck about anyone but their own agnorant selves.

That's exactly it.  People are getting tired of accommodating to the lowest common denominator.  I have owners manuals for classic cars that tell us how to adjust the valves.  Now, new cars,  the owners manual tells you not to drink the coolant. [Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.3.2    2 years ago

See 6.3.  That's referring to you.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.3.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @6.3.3    2 years ago

That's usually what it means when somebody's name shows up in the message header.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.3.4    2 years ago

So what is it that you're whining about now?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    2 years ago

Old Charlie is appalled ..... isn’t that special! 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

274167455_10226961847373647_7912179331273541145_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=MHVqG176LT4AX-FXtV8&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT8iOBR9Vx8SETqNFN76A75cqkjKRkzEN-2ISSWMWbvceA&oe=62143CA1

goose is back
Junior Guide
9  goose is back    2 years ago

Why do I give a fuck about what some 98 year old investment guy has to say, does making a bunch of money all of a sudden qualifies you to give out medical advice. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  goose is back @9    2 years ago

Then why comment?

goose is back
Junior Guide
9.1.1  goose is back  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1    2 years ago
Then why comment?

Isn't an unqualified individual considered misinformation?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  goose is back @9.1.1    2 years ago

And where is this man dispensing misinformation? I swear you don't bother to read the seeds

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2  devangelical  replied to  goose is back @9    2 years ago
does making a bunch of money all of a sudden qualifies you to give out medical advice. 

it worked for trump during his last year in office...

goose is back
Junior Guide
9.2.1  goose is back  replied to  devangelical @9.2    2 years ago
it worked for trump during his last year in office..

Actually it didn't, he lost the election.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  goose is back @9.2.1    2 years ago

274190235_10159479175974760_2662259503019092218_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=WzTO4U9ZEEcAX9_OstK&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_IKq0iu1LSOTofCvjZkNWCAQfyB3TttQ6TKfv4Yapm8A&oe=621430F1

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

Leaked data reportedly reveals a Texas construction CEO who once loaned Trump his private jet is a top donor to the 'Freedom Convoy' trucker protest

Grace Kay
Wed, February 16, 2022, 2:12 PM
69f7e40f4218f6739678d59907c0acd9
A photo of Donald Trump at a rally in Arizona next to a photo of the Freedom Convoy protests. Mario Tama/Getty Images, Lars Hagberg/AFP via Getty, Insider
  • A data leak revealed over 92,000 donors who shelled out more than $8 million to the Freedom Convoy.

• Texas CEO Benjamin Pogue's email was linked to a $20,000 donation to the protest,   Gizmodo reported.

• A spokesperson said Pogue "has no comment on this issue."

Benjamin Pogue, the CEO of a Texas construction company and a supporter of Donald Trump, has been linked to a $20,000 donation to the ongoing vaccine mandate protests in Canada, according to multiple reports.

On Sunday night,   hackers leaked   the names of over 92,000 donors who had given millions of dollars to the protesters known as the "Freedom Convoy" via GiveSendGo. Pogue is named among some of the top donors on the Christian crowd-sourcing site and his email is linked to the donation,   Gizmodo and The Dallas Morning News reported.

A spokesperson for Pogue told Insider that the CEO "has no comment on this issue."

In 2020, Pogue donated over $385,000 to Trump's reelection efforts, including providing the former president with the   use of Pogue's own private jet.

The vaccine mandate protest has been   linked   to Trump supporters in multiple instances. Several news outlets have   posted photos   of the protest that include hats and signs referencing Trump and the slogan "Make Canada Great Again."   Local news reported   that during the first week of the protests a man was seen riding through the protesters on horseback, carrying a "Trump 2024" flag.

Trump and several political figures, including Ben Shapiro and Rep. Majorie Taylor Green (R-GA), have   expressed support   for the movement. The former president   said   the protesters were "doing more to defend American freedom than our own leaders by far," during a rally in Conroe, Texas on January 30.

Vice reported   that over half of the donations on the donation site originated from the US, according to the leaked data, which has since been removed online.

Other major US donors that were revealed in the leak reportedly include American software billionaire and past Republican Party supporter Thomas Siebel, who donated $90,000 to the Freedom Convoy, according to the data. Siebel did not respond to a request for comment from Insider.

Last week, an Ontario court   held up   funding for the Freedom Convoy by freezing $8.4 million that the group raised on GiveSendGo. Since then, Canadian authorities have begun targeting crypto donations to protesters. Previously, the convoy raised more than $10 million on GoFundMe until the platform   shut the page down   and refunded the money earlier in the month.

On Monday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau   invoked emergency powers   for the first time in Canada's history after calling the protesters a   "small fringe minority"   only a few weeks prior. The Emergencies Act allows the government to temporarily override civil rights to break up the blockades of protesters who have flooded Canada's capital and taken up blockades across the country.

The Freedom Convoy has clogged city streets in Ottawa since convoys of truckers began   rolling into the capital   on January 21. Last week, members of the group   blocked a vital bridge   between Detroit and Canada, snarling international trade. Since, the protests have spread throughout the province into Windsor and Sarnia.

Canada's vaccine mandate for truckers went into effect on January 15. The   new rules   require US truckers to present proof of vaccination to cross the border and unvaccinated Canadian truckers to get a COVID-19 test and quarantine when they reenter from the US. The US imposed a   similar mandate   on January 22.

Read the original article on   Business Insider

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @10    2 years ago

So what?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.1    2 years ago

Exactly!

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
11  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Is the United States really vaccine hesitant?  According to data reported by the CDC, 81 pct of the eligible population has been vaccinated. 

Those of a particular political persuasion are attempting to conflate opposition to autocratic exercise of government authority with vaccine hesitancy.  The Canadian trucker protest wasn't opposing vaccines or vaccination.  The school protests in the United States are really about autocratic authority over ordinary people; not about masks or vaccines.