╌>

On Ukraine's Snake Island, border guards make a defiant last stand against Russian forces - The Washington Post

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Washington Post

On Ukraine's Snake Island, border guards make a defiant last stand against Russian forces - The Washington Post
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the 13 who were killed will be bestowed with the title "Hero of Ukraine," the highest honorific he can award.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As the Russian military pounded targets across Ukraine with an array of bombs and missiles, a small team of Ukrainian border guards on a rocky, desolate island received an ominous message: Give up or be attacked.

"I am a Russian warship," a voice from the invaders said, according to a recording of the communications. "I ask you to lay down your arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed and unnecessary deaths. Otherwise, you will be bombed."

The Ukrainians responded boldly.

"Russian warship," came the reply, "go f--- yourself."

The Russians opened fire, eventually killing the 13 border guards.

News of the defiant last stand on the Black Sea went viral Thursday, highlighting the grim decisions that Ukrainians have faced during the largest attack on a European nation since World War II. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said hours later that the island's defenders will be bestowed with the title "Hero of Ukraine," the highest honorific the Ukrainian leader can award.

In defiance of the West, Russia presses military invasion deeper into Ukraine

A copy of the recording was posted on the website of the Ukrainian news outlet Ukrayinska Pravda, and a Ukrainian official confirmed its authenticity to The Washington Post. A separate recording, posted on TikTok, shows what appears to be a border guard in a helmet and balaclava on the atoll, also known as Zmiinyi Island, or Snake Island, cursing after coming under fire. His profile lists him as a 23-year-old from Odessa, a port city on the Black Sea.

Stories of resistance amid bloodshed came from all over Ukraine. Zelensky, speaking at a news conference, said the border guards had attempted to protect the island for much of Thursday before they were killed. At least 137 Ukrainians were killed in less than a day of fighting, with operations continuing, he said.

A senior U.S. defense official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the operations candidly, said the Pentagon was aware of Ukrainians fighting back but declined to characterize their performance, citing a desire not to assist Russia.

"This is their country they're fighting for," the official said of the Ukrainians.

News of the clash sparked admiration on social media.

"Defiance!!!" tweeted Florent Groberg, an Army veteran who earned the Medal of Honor for valor in Afghanistan. "These Ukrainian patriots should never be forgotten. Few understand what true courage is … this is it #StandWithUkraine."

"What does it say about Ukraine that they have men and women that would not surrender to an overwhelming force," tweeted Rep. Ruben Gallego (D.-Ariz.), a Marine Corps veteran. "Ukraine is a country that wants to be independent."

Gallego echoed the final defiant statement of the border guards along, posting a middle finger emoji.

While isolated, the 42-acre island marks the edge of Ukraine's territorial waters, giving it a strategic role within the Black Sea by connecting a shipping corridor to the Ukrainian cities of Odessa, Mykolaiv and Kherson.

The sparsely populated island has changed hands numerous times over the past century, serving as a military outpost for radar and other equipment.

After World War I, the island was seized by Romania. The Soviet Union took control of it after World War II, leading to the construction of a lighthouse and military base, according to a history of the dispute published at Queen's University in Canada.

The island became Ukraine's after the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, though Romania continued to dispute ownership. An international court ultimately left Ukraine in control of the island and Romania with possession of much of the surrounding waters.

Dalton Bennett and Maria Luisa Paul contributed to this repor

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago
Russian warship," came the reply, "go f--- yourself."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

One thing we can all agree on - The Ukrainians are a brave courageous people willing to fight and die for their freedom.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

As long as they are wiling to fight we are willing to help them. The US cannot directly help for several reaons, but we can give you all the weapons and ammo you could ever imagine. You must provide the will to use it.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3  Mark in Wyoming     2 years ago

I read about that one last night , was supposedly live streamed by the BG.

also saw a video clip of a russian fighter firing missles into a ukraine village , video was taken from inside a house that had women and very young children taking shelter in it and the fired missle landing in what can be "danger close " proximity .

Another thing i read what that Google is under pressure to censure videos on the youtube app from the russians . so google is between a rock and a hard place  there.

personal opinion is , putin is not going to just try and secure the areas of the separatists, he is going for the total annihilation of the Ukraine government and their independent status  Irregardless of what the world thinks ,   

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself is as succinct and to the point as can be. An almost Spartan laconicism. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

pretty much the same thing that general said in bastone in 44 to the germans when the germans said surrender ... NUTS

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

The citizens of the Ukraine need to pull a Red Dawn on those mofo's.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    2 years ago

Chris Hemsworth version?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  1stwarrior @5.1    2 years ago

that version was against asians , the origional was against the so called "evil empire" from back in the day .

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1    2 years ago

There's a new version?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.2    2 years ago

Yes, it was supposed to be about Chinese invading the west coast but they made it North Korea instead due to censorship and pressure from the other evil empire.  Everyone watching it knew that only China could ever really attempt that then and now.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.2    2 years ago

The new version was on here yesterday.  As much as I adore Hemsworth, I liked the original better.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    2 years ago

On that I totally agree with you.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

A friend said it's amazing the island didn't sink under the weight of their balls. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7  Mark in Wyoming     2 years ago

saw an article yesterday , a donation site similar to go fund me suspended payments of donations to the ukrainians after it had gotten over 300k in donations in a matter of hrs after hostilities started .

the stated goal of the campaign was to raise funds for food , medical supplies and body armour for the citizens , and they used that last one as reason to close it down and refuse to pay out .

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ronin2  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7    2 years ago

Guess body armor now qualifies as an offensive weapon. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ronin2 @7.1    2 years ago
Guess body armor now qualifies as an offensive weapon.

well some people get offended in this country at the sight of body armor, if its not being worn by the "right " people according to them . 

shona1
Professor Quiet
7.2  shona1  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7    2 years ago

Morning Mark...yes saw that over here as well.

Last I heard we are sending over a plane with medical supplies, food etc...about all we can do at this stage...times like this I wish we were a lot closer distance wise.

Stay strong Ukraine...🇦🇺🇺🇦🇦🇺🇺🇦

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     2 years ago

Hero's all and brass balls would be an understatement.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @8    2 years ago

I have been watching aircraft traffic around the area ( if i know then everyone with the app knows ) and i will say i still see a number of different countries military flights on radar , so there are eyes in the sky watching .

( app i use is downloaded to a smart phone and i use it to see air traffic when i want to fly my drone )

someone would ask if i didnt say .

Isnt technology wonderful?

shona1
Professor Quiet
8.2  shona1  replied to  Kavika @8    2 years ago

I think those words will now go down in history..

And so they should...🇺🇦🇺🇦

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9  arkpdx    2 years ago

If by some miracle the Ukrainians defeat Putin and the Russians, they need to erect statues of each of these brave men near the Russian border each with their arms upraised giving the finger towards Moscow. They could also have one or two of them mooning the Kremlin. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  arkpdx @9    2 years ago

They won't, but word is this has become more of a debacle than  Putin wanted. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
10  Gsquared    2 years ago

Heroes.  Every one of them.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.1  Ronin2  replied to  Gsquared @10    2 years ago

Are they still heroes now that it has been proven that they are all still alive- looking relatively unharmed- and prisoners of war?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

"Go fuck yourself" is the new Ukranian national motto. 

Upon further reflection, I think we all hope that we would show the same level of courage and bravery in a similar situation. To look death in the eyes and respond... "go fuck yourself."

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
12  Just Jim NC TttH    2 years ago

Well look at this will ya....................

Despite earlier reports to the contrary, the Ukrainian military now says that soldiers attacked by a Russian warship on Snake Island last week are "alive and well," though all the infrastructure on the island has been demolished.

According to a post shared to the Ukrainian Navy's official Facebook page on Monday, officials said, per a translation: "The Marines and frontier guards captured by the Russian occupiers on Snake Island. ... are alive and well!

The Navy said in its Monday statement that "Russian propaganda is trying to promote the 'news' that the Ukrainian authorities have 'forgotten' and 'buried' their subordinates."

Awesome

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
12.1  Ronin2  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @12    2 years ago

Good that they are alive. Bad that they are being used as propaganda by both sides.