╌>

Ron DeSantis Berates Students For Wearing Masks

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   Jackson Richman (Mediaite)

Ron DeSantis Berates Students For Wearing Masks
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis admonished students on Wednesday for wearing masks.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Jackson RichmanMar 2nd, 2022, 3:34 pm Twitter share button <?php // Post Body ?>

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis admonished a group of students on Wednesday for wearing face masks.

Approaching the podium to make remarks at a press conference at the University of South Florida, DeSantis told masked students behind the podium, "You do not have to wear those masks."

"I mean, please take them off," said DeSantis. "Honestly, it's not doing anything. And we gotta stop with this Covid theater. So, if you want to wear it, fine. But this is, this is ridiculous."

He sighed and then began his remarks. At least one student kept his mask on but most could be seen taking them off.

The students were from Middleton High School in Tampa Bay, Hillsborough Schools Superintendent Addison Davistold local NBC affiliate WFLA.

"We are excited our students from Middleton High School were highlighted as part of the statewide focus around cyber security education. Our Cyber Security pathway at MHS has had tremendous success through student's earning industry certifications, participating in internships and leading the way in computer systems and information technology," he said. "As always, our students should be valued and celebrated. It is a student and parents' choice to protect their health in a way they feel most appropriate. We are proud of the manner in which our students represented themselves and our school district."

DeSantis has been critical of coronavirus policies such prohibiting schools from enacting mask mandates.

Watch above, via WFLA.

Have a tip we should know? tips@mediaite.com

Filed Under: face masksFloridaRon DeSantis Previous PostNext Post Previous PostNext Post

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

from the site comment section

avatar92.jpg?1637771334 The Truth About Trump   • 20 minutes ago
He's barely taller than those boys and they look like they just started puberty. Poor little wannabe Napoleon. lol

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

goose is back
Junior Guide
1.1  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
He's barely taller than those boys

I guess you say that to allot guys since he is the average height for a male in the US.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  goose is back @1.1    2 years ago

Zelensky and Putin are both 5'-7"

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  goose is back @1.1    2 years ago

According to the CDC the average height for a male in the US is 5'9".   And that's the height of DeSantis.

And those boys are high school students.  My grandson will turn 16 this June and is already 6'1".  

That being said...   the school probably told the students to wear masks because that's what good little gestapo (sorry, meant school superintendents) say.  Ric should have kept his mouth shut with that and just did what he was there to do.  He screwed up his own photo op by doing that IMO.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

"I mean, please take them off," said DeSantis. "Honestly, it's not doing anything. And we gotta stop with this Covid theater. So, if you want to wear it, fine. But this is, this is ridiculous."

He's absolutely right. Masks do little good. The  Dem driven Covid hysteria seems to be abating

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 years ago

So no personal freedom around DeSantis, do what he wants when he wants it, or he will berate you about it.  What's next, is he going to tell you what color shirts you can and cannot wear?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 years ago
Masks do little good.

Even if you feel that way, he has no right to tell anyone else to take their mask off.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Drakkonis  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 years ago
He's absolutely right. Masks do little good.

He may be right about the masks but he was wrong in what he did. Who in their right mind is going to humiliate schoolkids in front of the media like that? He called it theater, ignoring he was engaging in his own theatrics himself. It was a total dick move. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.1    2 years ago

Biden and many on the left have been telling people to mask up for months 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.4    2 years ago
Biden and many on the left have been telling people to mask up for months 

Biden, many on the left, many on the right, doctors, and other health professionals have been telling people to mask up to try and save lives, for months.

Their motivation was to save lives, what was DeSantis' motivation?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    2 years ago

Wow. What a dick. Mind your own fucking business Governor Douchebag. Fuck, I hate a bully.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @2    2 years ago

His theatrics might have got him a vote or two among the "freedom" crowd. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    2 years ago

More like thousands of votes....

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    2 years ago

More like thousands of votes....

They died of COVID, he's down to hundreds.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

Phony tough guy DeSantis trying to bully students ...Real good you fucking douchcanoe.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4  Jack_TX    2 years ago

So....basically he says "you don't have to do this thing you really didn't want to do anyway and are only doing because you're being forced"... and that is somehow "berating" or "bullying".  

That's not complete batshittery or anything.......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @4    2 years ago

The governor of their state was 3 or 4 ft from them , and three times their age, and filled with authority, telling them they were being "ridiculous" and to take the masks off , and you think that is not bullying. Astonishing. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 years ago

Not if s republican does it you silly goose

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 years ago
, and twice their age,

More than that.  I normally say "math is your friend", but apparently it's your mortal enemy.  Geez.

and filled with authority,

Just like everybody else in their lives.  That's what being a kid is like.

telling them they were being "ridiculous"

Not what he said.  Read it again.

and to take the masks off ,

Or "wear them if you want to".

and you think that is not bullying.

Because it's not.  How fuckin' soft and sad is a person who can be bullied by "wear that if you want to"?  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.2    2 years ago

So the governor tells the teenagers that what they were doing was ridiculous and please stop ("please take them off"), and you refuse to see that he put oversized pressure on them. 

Whatever, it isnt worth the breath. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.4    2 years ago

So the governor tells the teenagers that what they were being forced to do was ridiculous and please stop.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.5    2 years ago

I don’t understand your logic. You seem to understand that kids will automatically submit to the authority of school administrators (because they’re kids being told what to do by adults in official authority).

But somehow they’re not going to be intimidated by the governor of the entire state?

And then to boot, he shames them for being ridiculous in front of TV cameras. Why is that ok?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.6    2 years ago
I don’t understand your logic.

I coached HS boys for the better part of 30 years.  Most people don't understand them.

You seem to understand that kids will automatically submit to the authority of school administrators (because they’re kids being told what to do by adults in official authority).

Not automatically, no.  They submit to avoid punishment.  The choice to submit is directly tied to the authority figure's ability and willingness to follow through on said punishment.  This is why kids behave for one teacher and don't for the next. 

But somehow they’re not going to be intimidated by the governor of the entire state?

Correct.  They're high school kids.  They don't give a fuck who the governor is.  Most of them didn't know his name before he came to their school that day.  They live their lives in a teenage kid world that he is not a part of. 

He's a 5'9" middle-aged white guy.   The only thing intimidating about him are his bodyguards. 

And then to boot, he shames them for being ridiculous in front of TV cameras.

The people being shamed were the school officials.

You are projecting your views and (more significantly) fears onto kids who do not share them, and because of that you are coming away with an inaccurate representation of what happened. 

They did not want to be wearing the masks.  Somebody made them.  They are not afraid of the virus.  They have no reason to fear the virus.  They were thinking the masks were ridiculous long before DeSantis said it.  Masks are ridiculous in a public school setting.  DeSantis was not criticizing the kids, he was criticizing the morons who make kids wear masks in schools, and the kids knew this.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.7    2 years ago
Correct.  They're high school kids.  They don't give a fuck who the governor is.  Most of them didn't know his name before he came to their school that day.  They live their lives in a teenage kid world that he is not a part of.  He's a 5'9" middle-aged white guy.   The only thing intimidating about him are his bodyguards. 

Your comments are ridiculous. The kids that take part in and appear at these government events are exactly the type of kids who do respect authority and who do care about how they or their school looks in public. On top of that, there are teenagers who respect what their parents and teachers have told them , and if they were told that masks are a good thing then it is likely they agreed with wearing the masks. 

I'm sure that many teenagers have ridiculed wearing of masks, but you have no idea if that is the case with these kids. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.8    2 years ago

www.mediaite.com   /news/stop-bullying-kids-high-school-freshman-who-defied-desantis-and-kept-mask-on-speaks-out-and-so-does-his-dad/

‘Stop Bullying Kids!’ High School Freshman Who Defied DeSantis and Kept Mask On Speaks Out — And So Does His Dad

tommy-christopher 2-3 minutes   3/3/2022

High School freshman   Kevin Brown Jr.   defied Gov.  Ron DeSantis’  (R-FL) demand to remove a Covid mask during a press event, and spoke out afterward. So did his father.

At a press conference at the University of South Florida Wednesday,   DeSantis told masked high school students   on stage behind his podium, “You do not have to wear those masks,” and sneered “I mean, please take them off. Honestly, it’s not doing anything. And we gotta stop with this Covid theater.”

He went on to grudgingly add, “So, if you want to wear it, fine. But this is, this is ridiculous.”

Some students removed their masks, some did not. Brown did not comply, and was later removed from the stage.

Two of the kids and their parents   spoke out to   WFLA reporter   Justin Schecker   Wednesday night.

Brown said he considered removing his mask because “it’s the governor, he asked us to take it off.”

“But I thought about it, and it’s my right to have my mask on,” Brown said.

His father,   Kevin Brown Sr. , told Schecker “I would tell [DeSantis] to stop bullying kids,” and that “His mother tells him to wear the mask. I told him it’s his choice, so he made that choice. And the governor has no right to tell no kid or no one who they can or can’t wear a mask. He doesn’t have that right.”

High School senior   Eric Marshall   did remove his mask following the governor’s demand, and said he did so due to “pressure of an adult figure asking me to do something, and it’s just like, ‘All right.'”

Eric’s mother,   Dawn Marshall , was not pleased.

MS. MARSHALL: It’s just shocking that the governor told these kids, take off your mask. He pretty much said, Take off your mask is stupid and take off your mask. Your parents don’t matter.

MR. SCHECKER: Her initial reaction to seeing her son in the video.

MS. MARSHALL: He knows I’m going to say something, and he his eyebrows went up and he looked shocked.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.10  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.8    2 years ago
Your comments are ridiculous.

Oh, the irony.

The kids that take part in and appear at these government events are exactly the type of kids who do respect authority and who do care about how they or their school looks in public.

Or, in the real world, they're smarter than the people running the school, and they absolutely know it.  They do what these people tell them to do because they're also smart enough to understand that following along is a necessary and temporary step on their way to what they want in life.

On top of that, there are teenagers who respect what their parents and teachers have told them , and if they were told that masks are a good thing then it is likely they agreed with wearing the masks. 

They're 16.  Not 6.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.11  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    2 years ago
Brown said he considered removing his mask because “it’s the governor, he asked us to take it off.” “But I thought about it, and it’s my right to have my mask on,” Brown said.

So.... not bullied at all, then.  At least by the Governor.  Looks like Mom may be a different story.

I told him it’s his choice, so he made that choice.

Perfect.  Individual liberty on display for all to see.

And the governor has no right to tell no kid or no one who they can or can’t wear a mask. He doesn’t have that right.”

Oh.... well isn't THIS interesting...   

I wonder if Mr. Brown would say the same thing about school officials.  I suspect not.   I suspect Mr. Brown's assessment about who has the right to tell kids they can or must or cannot wear masks is wholly correlated to how well their politics align with his.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.1.12  al Jizzerror  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.2    2 years ago
and three times their age

John said, "and three times their age".

You misquoted him so you could display your stupid fake math.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.1.13  al Jizzerror  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.7    2 years ago
The people being shamed were the school officials.

DeSantis was speaking directly to the students.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.14  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  al Jizzerror @4.1.12    2 years ago

In fairness to Jack, originally I said "twice their age", but then I realized DeSantis is in his 40's and closer to three times their age and I changed it just for simple accuracy. In the meantime Jack had made his somewhat superfluous math correction. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5  Gsquared    2 years ago

Didn't Florida recently pass a law prohibiting officials from making students feel emotional discomfort or guilt?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Doesn't anyone in the USA wonder why it has the unbelievable record number of around 80 million covid infections and approaching a million deaths?  Well, you just read a story about one of the reasons.  America certainly is "exceptional".

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
7  Steve Ott    2 years ago

I think the problem was, they weren't exhibiting the correct type of personal freedom.

The only type allowed in Florida is the DeSatan personal freedom.