╌>

India says it accidentally fired a missile into Pakistan

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  31 comments

By:   Reuters By Reuters

India says it accidentally fired a missile into Pakistan
India said Friday it accidentally fired a missile into Pakistan this week because of a "technical malfunction" during routine maintenance.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

India said Friday it accidentally fired a missile into Pakistan this week because of a "technical malfunction" during routine maintenance, giving its version of events after longtime foe Pakistan warned the incident could have "unpleasant consequences."

"On 9 March 2022, in the course of a routine maintenance, a technical malfunction led to the accidental firing of a missile," India's defense ministry said in a statement.

"It is learnt that the missile landed in an area of Pakistan. While the incident is deeply regrettable, it is also a matter of relief that there has been no loss of life due to the accident."

The ministry said the government had "taken a serious view and ordered a high-level Court of Enquiry" into the incident.

Earlier on Friday Pakistan's foreign office said it had summoned India's charge d'affaires in Islamabad to lodge a protest over what it called an unprovoked violation of its airspace. Pakistan called for an investigation into the incident, which it said could have endangered passenger flights and civilian lives.

Pakistan warned India "to be mindful of the unpleasant consequences of such negligence and take effective measures to avoid the recurrence off such violations in future".

Military experts have in the past warned of the risk of accidents or miscalculations by the neighbors, which have fought three wars and engaged in numerous military clashes, most recently in 2019 which saw the air forces of the two engage in combat. Both nations have nuclear weapons.

Pakistani military spokesman Major-General Babar Iftikhar said in a late evening news conference on Thursday that a "high-speed flying object" crashed near its eastern city of Mian Channu and that originated from the northern Indian city of Sirsa, in Haryana state near New Delhi.

"The flight path of this object endangered many national and international passenger flights both in Indian and Pakistani airspace as well as human life and property of ground," he said.

Iftikhar in the news conference on Thursday also called on India to share the outcome of its investigation into the incident.

A Pakistan air force official said the object travelled at an altitude of 40,000 feet, at Mach 3, and flew 77 miles in Pakistani airspace before crashing.

Reuters

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

Just because things were dull in the world...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    2 years ago

oops. heh, heh. we're so sorry...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

I know the feeling. They need to control their tempers.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

It feels a bit weird to come down squarely on Pakistan's side of this issue, but damn, how do you accidentally fire a missile?  I mean, my desktop has lots of failsafes just to keep me from accidentally deleting a file.  Surely it should be at least that hard to fire a missile?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    2 years ago
It feels a bit weird to come down squarely on Pakistan's side of this issue, but damn, how do you accidentally fire a missile?  I mean, my desktop has lots of failsafes just to keep me from accidentally deleting a file.  Surely it should be at least that hard to file a missile?

India was too busy making robo calls to the US to spend any time on failsafe issues for missles.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago

It was probably one of their robocalls that set the missile off.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago

they called the 1-800 number right after it happened, but nobody could understand the customer service rep...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago
India was too busy making robo calls to the US to spend any time on failsafe issues for missles.

Ha!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @3.1.2    2 years ago
they called the 1-800 number right after it happened, but nobody could understand the customer service rep...

'Walmart gift card' is difficult to translate into anything but English.

shona1
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  shona1  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago

Morning..we are playing cricket against Pakistan at the moment..first time we have back over there playing in 25 years I think it is. Due to all the trouble..and bombs going off etc...

India probably didn't like the result. After five days it was a draw...

That's enough for anyone to lose it...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.1    2 years ago

Shit.  I trolled one of them yesterday when they called about my car's warranty.  Is this my fault?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2  evilone  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    2 years ago
...how do you accidentally fire a missile?

I don't think the missile fire itself was an accident, but that it went into Pakistan by accident. I ended my Army tour at a missile testing site. I saw all kinds of things go wrong with telemetry. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @3.2    2 years ago

In 1979, I got to witness a NATO live fire exercise with I-Hawk at a Greek range on Crete.  Clear skies, great food and no responsibilities made for a great boondoggle.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @3.2    2 years ago

Thank you for your service.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    2 years ago

always a good idea to shut down the computer before cleaning the keyboard...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @3.3    2 years ago

always a good idea to shut down the computer before cleaning the keyboard...

Exactly, the key board can get very messy while eating during a watch.  Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru once said, "Eating Biryani with fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter".

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @3.3    2 years ago

I left mine on one night and the next morning it showed a pet toy site.  My cats all had very guilty looks.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    2 years ago

Great, so the world's nuclear armed two smaller hot heads are back at it. Bad enough the US and Russia are squaring off in Eastern Europe; and slinging as much hateful misinformation as both can produce. Maybe if we are really lucky and Brandon gets enough money to Iran for oil; we can have a nuclear square off between Iran and Israel. 

Last one on the planet to fire their nuclear arsenal wasted all their money! OK everybody on the count of 3 let'em rip! 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

"The flight path of this object endangered many national and international passenger flights both in Indian and Pakistani airspace as well as human life and property of ground," he said.

"Big sky, little bullet".  That's what US Army duck hunters used to say after a malfunction.  

But who can forget when Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Randy Johnson, threw a fastball during a spring training game that hit and killed a dove. The bird picked a flight path between home plate and the pitcher’s mound at the exact moment in time and space for it to collide three inch diameter ball.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  Freefaller  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5    2 years ago

I remember, that was one unlucky dove

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @5.1    2 years ago

Was it called a ball or a strike?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    2 years ago

It was called a death star.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    2 years ago

Well, it DID have The Force behind it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    2 years ago

If it were golf, it would have been a birdie.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    2 years ago

Can't remember what the umpire called it, however I called it "Holy Crap!!"

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

I bet Putin was very upset that people weren’t killed and Pakistan didn’t return fire.  He’s hoping for a much shinier object for the world to focus on.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    2 years ago

Trump also.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Nowhere have I seen that India apologized to Pakistan, or offered to pay reparations for damage caused.

When I read that the missile changed course, I wondered if in fact it was an intended launch aimed at a proper target, but some computer hack genius was able to redirect the missile. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
7.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    2 years ago

They have of sorts... India said it was deeply regrettable... Pakistan lodged a protest. The missile was unarmed...

Pakistan warned India to be mindful of the unpleasant consequences of such negligence and take effective means to avoid a recurrence of such violations in the future...

Besides the test cricket is on at the moment between Australia and Pakistan. If they beat us Pakistan will declare a national holiday and they wouldn't care what got lobbed into the country...they will be to busy celebrating...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @7.1    2 years ago

Deeply regrettable?  Saying it was "regrettable" doesn't mean that they DID regret it.  So "of sorts" is right. 

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
8  Moose Knuckle    2 years ago

I can't believe they name their missile "The Ghandi"